Monday Morning Standings

By , January 4, 2010 8:20 am

Line to include in new GM job posting - "Must like cleaning up messes"

Good Morning everyone!  Its the first day of work in the new year, and miraculously I have no meetings.  I’ll take this as a good sign for the new year.

As for the Oilers, they will pull their heads out of their asses eventually, and watching the kids in the juniors we as Oiler fans have a lot to look forward too.  My only issue is that we are going to rush them all to the show next year, and probably ruin a couple of them (see Brule/Columbus).  But alas, we don’t have enough cheap veterans.  Oh well.  Once Katz gets his new rink (which I bet is the reason for wanting to own the team) then he will start to care about winning (other than paying lip service to the idea) and then we will start to see people being held accountable for this shit-show.

Until then, enjoy the games!

P.S. The world juniors have been fantastic.  Anyone else turn from the Canada-USA game on new years eve to the Oil game and find it was slooooooooooooooooooooow.

Conference Standings

St Louis Blues 41 40
Anaheim Ducks 42 39
Columbus Blue Jackets 43 39
Toronto Maple Leafs 42 37
Edmonton Oilers 42 36
Carolina Hurricanes 41 29

And in the pool, Racki is still first (barely), with me in second and Trogdor in 4th.

11 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

And big messes at that. It’s kinda sad when you have Pendergast sp* talking about Taylor Hall on the official site in one of the videos. I think you can see him salivating a bit when he mentions Taylor’s name.

It may be too late for this theme because now it seems more inevitable more than anything but I came across this pic last week and maybe you can use it in future posts…

“Kissing the Cup goodbye.”

Prospects
    Like you mentioned Steve-O, I think the Oilers may rush the prospects into the system too early. The only one I see NHL ready is Magnus but even him I would first stick in the AHL to develop in a more rounded player (get a feel for N.American hockey).

Even though Eberle had an awesome camp I still think they should put him with the Falcons for a season too. I know Eberle is quite prospect but honestly that’s what you get when you put him with an NHL team with almost half of its forwards belonging in the AHL.

So Eberle and our possible top/top 2 pick. Especially if we land Senguin, knock on wood, should go play a full season or so in the AHL before they get a spot in the big leagues. Not only to improve their on ice play but also to focus on bulking up.

Anyways, I’ll be watching the Canada game tomorrow. The Oilers I’ll PVR.

And I’m going to go Jim Mora on you Zack… “Stanley Cup? Stanley Cup???? We’re just trying to win a god damn game! Stanley???!”

3. Horpensky says:

Not gonna bother with the Oilers game, I’ll just check the boxscore after, or the highlights if I’m feeling ambitious

Racki: Sorry, Steve-O was actually doing work early today, before I could pass the pic along.
    Anyways, I’ll be watching the Canada game tomorrow. The Oilers I’ll PVR.

Heheh, hence the “it may be too late” and inevitability of making the playoffs. =p But good call none the less, I’m jacked about the Junior game however I told my best friend I’d take him out for his birthday dinner tomorrow!

Also, I just realized tomorrow’s game is PPV…. passsss.

Site having some issues today, so I fired a message off to the host. Hopefully all will be good for the next while.

7. MetalOil says:

Racki: For the young kids, its nice that they actually have the option of playing these kids in the AHL. I’d like to see them get a chance here, but yes, a bit of AHL time would be nice.
    Also, I just realized tomorrow’s game is PPV…. passsss.

PPV???? LOL. What a smart move putting a PPV game on at the same time as the WJHC gold metal game and a PPV game against the Coyotes of all teams. I do not know how many people they need to order the game to break a profit but I suspect that they will be losing money on this one. I doubt even the bars will be showing this one.

yah.. really bad timing. It won’t be a good one for them, I’m sure.

a few things learned on twitter:

apparently the oilers are going to do a mini-camp this week/weekend

I wonder if this means that every player needs to re-fight for their spot on the team again?

I think that just means that they’re all gathering around a fire eating smores.

Seriously though, apparently Quinn is re-doing the game plan with these guys. Going over some basic plays.

From OilersNation:

“I’m not copping out here, but we had one practice day before we played an exhibition game,” Quinn said. “Never have I not had time to instil the basics. I had more time going to the Olympics than I did with this team.

“We’ve been working at bringing the system of play in… you saw us 15 minutes at the board at one time, asking questions we’ve been talking about for three months. You think, holy smoke, we’ve been working on this for three months? What have we missed here? We’re going to do some work.”

The short pre-season hurt without doubt and with a new coach thats not a good thing, but hopefully Quinn gets something to work right now.