HNIC: Sheldon Souray to provide list of teams he’ll waive NTC for

By , January 23, 2010 10:32 pm
Studly Wonderbomb

Studly Wonderbomb during happier times

Well, let me preface this by saying that I hope people will see this for what it is and not turn this into another Chris Pronger incident. Sheldon Souray likely isn’t demanding his way out, but it’s quite likely he would jump at any chance to move to the teams on his list. And well, I can’t blame him. He came here with hopes of helping turn this team into a cup contender. At this stage of the game, nearly 3 years since he signed here, it’s obvious that the Oilers are in re-build mode after keeping the team on life support for at least that length of time. Souray is turning 34 this July, and is likely looking to play for a contender. More importantly though, he’s also expressed several times that he would like to live closer to his kids.

On the positive side, Souray is an asset a lot of teams would love to get their hands on. He can blast bombs from the point, he can hit like a freight train, he’s a great leader (damn is that going to be missed), he packs a huge punch, he’s a mean son of a bitch, and stands up for his teammates. He’s a tough guy to replace. In my opinion, he’s worth it for a team to spend $5.4M cap on.

This year has obviously been a bad year for him offensively, but you could easily argue that this has a lot more to do with the team’s current state of suck than it does Souray’s own problems.

So I guess let the speculation begin. One would have to assume it will be a Western Conference team that Souray requests a trade to (although I wouldn’t be too surprised to see a strong Eastern Conference team on the list). The Kings, Sharks, and Ducks are very logical teams that first come to mind (given his kids currently live with their mother in California). Feel free to suggest some trades you’d like to see in the comments section. This would be a good way to pick up another first rounder.

UPDATE:
Souray was interview today after the skills comp and had this to say about the stuff surrounding his list of teams he’d waive for:

I really just gave both (Tambellini/Lowe?) my opinion, and from there they’ll do whatever they want to do. But like I said, I’m not going to tie anyone’s hands with it if something goes that way. It’s not really for me to worry about.

It doesn’t change anything, anyways. I think the day I was asked (if he would waive his NTC if asked) was a slow media day and I said “the way things are going, I would understand – I wouldn’t hold them back” and it’s gained a little momentum obviously from the way the team is performing.

But you know I come to the rink every day, proud to be an Oiler. It hasn’t changed the way I played. So, it won’t, I mean, it’s business, you know, and we’re professionals and no matter what situation you’re in – whether you’re a first year player, five year player or ten year player – you’ve got to come every day and be professional.

77 Responses to “HNIC: Sheldon Souray to provide list of teams he’ll waive NTC for”

Thanks to MetalOil for first breaking the news here..

2. MetalOil says:

Well as it looks now the two biggest D-men on the market are Souray and Phaneuf(It is debatable as to whether or not Dion is in fact on the market. The Flames deny this but they do have tons of money tied up in their back end and they do have a goal scoring problem.)

So compare the two salary wise:

Phaneuf
    -6.5 million a season for 4 more years(ouch:) , No wonder the NY post claims that the Flames are desperate to clear his contract http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/cgy100123).

Souray
    -5.4 million a season for two more years and the team that acquires him only owes him 4.5 million per year.(that is a pretty good deal for a team that is not up against the cap!!!)

All this would make me think that Souray and his contract situation is much more appealing then Dion Phaneuf( The more I look at it the more I am thinking that Dion is quickly becoming Calgarys Horcoff).

Also
    I think the world of Souray and am in no way demanding that he be traded nor do I think he is demanding a trade. I just think that at this point(and a very sad point this is for the Oil) it would be in both parties best interests for the Oiler and Sheldon to part ways.

yeah, I totally agree that nobody should be villainized in this.

I love Souray, and will be very sad to see him go, however where the Oilers sit as a franchise and Souray as a player, I believe(hopefully) it will be mutually beneficial for Souray as a player and the franchise going forward to part ways now.

Yah, I agree M.O., it would help both parties to part ways, although like I mentioned in the article, I’m not in any way happy to see him go. But on a good note, his salary (assuming we don’t take on a big contract) frees up a lot of cash. We should then be able to hang on to Visnovsky (whom I’d keep if given the choice between Vis and Souray).

If we move Souray and Moreau (Ducks have shown interest), then maybe Staios, that’s a tonne of leadership lost (unfortunately), but we also move $10.1M with 3 players. Of course, we’d have to take some salary back too though for Moreau/Staios. But just saying… Souray should be the only big salary player that we need to move. After that, it’s a matter of chipping away with $2-4M contracts – Nilsson, O’Sullivan, Staios, for example. Oh and add in the fact that Pisani’s $2.5M is done this year.

Oh one more thing, Hockey Central’s Darren Millard (Sportsnet) also mentioned the Flames are shopping Phaneuf.

To LA:
    Sheldon Souray

To EDM:
    Matt Greene
    Jarret Stoll

:P

6. Haboiler says:

It would be nice to grab a guy like Nick Boynton out of Anaheim for Souray. Boynton is a UFA i know but at least we get a chance to sign him at a decent salary as he is at 1.5M this year. Could be a stay at home guy we could use for a year or 2 until Peckham is 100% ready for the big team. ANA has about 2.8M left in salary cap and with the pro-rated salary for remainder of this year, they should have enough room for Souray. Plus once Neidermayer retires at the end of this year, his $6M cap hit is replaced by Souray’s cap hit. Seems like a possibility to me. Maybe we take a bad 1 yr contract back or we can sucker them for Sbisa if we throw another piece into the pie i.e. Nillson or O’Sullivan.

Would love that, Haboiler. And for Souray, I would have to think that Anaheim would sweeten the pot (not just Souray for Boynton). Boynton is the type of D-man we could use here though, and I’ve been banging that drum for a while now.

Sbisa would be nice too. I would wonder if the Ducks would do Boynton + their first for Souray though. In 5 years I want to be able to look in the archive for this site and see that I mentioned Nino Niederreiter’s name 100 times this year in hopes of him being drafted by us with a second 1st round pick. :P

8. Haboiler says:

I’m torn with the fact that I want to see a nice return for Souray and Boynton himself is honestly not enough. On the other hand, the savings of 5.4 for the next 2 years might be enough for me, to loosen the handcuffs just a little.

If they did this and they signed Boynton for 1.5M again the D could look like this next year:

Vish – 5.6
    Gilbert – 4
    Smid – 1.3
    Boynton – 1.5
    Staois – 2.7
    Grebeshkov – 3.2
    Total D is 18.6 instead of almost 23 this year. I’d rather see Grebeshkov gone instead of Staios unless Grebs takes a paycut or at least does not look for a raise. Staois could continue to be a leader here provided he still wants to be here. If one of them are gone, we are closer to 16M which would be a very acceptable rate for the top 6 D imo.

To EDM:
    Jack Johnson (At odds with the GM in LA right now after the GM ripped him)
    Wayne Simmonds

To LA:
    Souray

I like Johnson and he gives us a young defender that has a shit load of skill and is a sort of shut down guy. I like Simmonds because he is young, works hard, hits, scores and is bigger. I actually hope they can get Greene out of LA too, maybe throw in Staios.

I wouldn’t mind JJ. I’ll throw a different idea out there.. we move Staios at the deadline (for whatever). Souray gets moved for JJ and LA’s first. Sign Boynton in the off-season.

Now we’re looking at:

Vish – 5.6
    Gilbert – 4
    Smid – 1.3
    Boynton – 2M (I’d say minimum cost to get him here) – BTW, he is the oft-sought right shot D
    Johnson – 1.425M
    Grebeshkov – 3.2
    (17.5M total – not including 7th d-man)

Visnovsky – Smid
    Gilbert – Boynton
    Grebeshkov – Johnson

I’d say that would be a big improvement on the blue line over what we had, with more physical players, but guys that can also move the puck.

That is a bit of a pipe dream though.

Hate to see Souray leave, his leadership will not be easily replaceable if at all. If it’s a cup contender he wants then he’ll most likely end up in SJ, but I’m not sure if that’s what the Jose can really fit. I hope we get a good D-dman in return and a first round pick. Just everyone expect the unexpected like KLowe has drilled into our brains, that’s all I have to say.

Btw, on the note of defense, I watched Jeff Petry last night. The Spartans love him. He’s one of the captains (apparently multiple guys can wear the C, which is just weird, in college hockey). He’s BIG (6’3, 200lbs), skates well, is physical and can have a mean side, and is very good at joining/leading the rush. Pretty excited to see him play here, but he will play his senior year in Michigan next year rather than coming up.

I also really think that the Oilers will hand the reigns over to he kids here to fill in the defensive holes (meaning Chorney, Peckham, perhaps Plante or Wild). Really I think the smarter thing to do though would be to have one as D-man number 7 and slowly work them into the system. Guys are going to get injured, so they’ll get their chances to play. But if they are rushed and someone gets hurt, we’re going to have a pretty scary blue line (and not in a good way)

13. Craig Simpson says:

You know, I hear all the talk about loss of leadership if we lose Moreau, Staios, Souray, etc., but I’m still thinking we NEED to lose the kind of leadership we’ve had the last couple years. Tell me what the leaders on this team have done for us these past two seasons? Several players all but quit last year, and several have appeared to quit caring this year. I think that is a problem of leadership. Messier would kick your royal ass if you ever quit like some of these guys have. I’m sorry, I just don’t feel like the leadership is getting it done now.

Hey Craig, can’t disagree with that at all, to be honest. Having a fresh group of leaders here would help. Although right now I don’t think I would say the team has quit caring. They’re still pressing pretty hard, but somehow finding ways to lose. I missed the ugly Avalanche game, but aside from that, they’ve looked pretty solid. The compete level has been quite good lately. They just make the odd dumb mistake though at inopportune times which cost them games. Plus, I think their blueline is pretty weak in its own zone. Not because they don’t try, but because we need some guys back there that can defend properly.

Yeah, good point Craig but he’s one of the guys that still shows it, well to an extent I guess. And like Racki mentioned they’re are still a lot of frustrated players on this team that haven’t given up yet. Gags was an outstanding example of this last game a lot of players are still in it we just can’t find a win.

And Racki you mentioned Petry earlier, so is this the Gilbert we always wanted, one that comes with a physical game too?

CS: I totally agree with that assesment of the leadership.

as for trade ideas(sticking to west coast teams close to Souray’s family) and I’ve also heard Anaheim is willing to part with Bobby Ryan, so something like

Nilsson+Souray,
    or if that’s not enough
    Cogs+Souray for

Bobby Ryan+Nick Boynton.

and let’s assume we re-sign both.

I wouldn’t mind Ryan Whitney either.

Phoenix has some interesting pieces too, Yandle would be a great return for Souray, and not sure how keen Phx would be of parting ways with any of their young forwards but any one of Mueller/Turris/Tikhonov would look good in our organization.

something like Souray+Nilsson for Yandle+Mueller wouldn’t be bad.

and of course there is LA that has a few players I’d like too, and as much as Racki was kidding, Stoll and Green are two types of players this team sorely lacks, and of course JJ would be a great fit too, so would Wayne Simmonds, and Frolov would be fanfuckingtastic to get if it were not for his UFA status looming large. Dustin Brown too!! although I know that would never happen.

it’s too bad Fla is east coast, because Nathan Horton would be awesome too.

I wonder what teams will be on his list.

Zack: It would seem that way. I don’t want to get all excited about one game especially over a non-NHL game, but he looked really good. I’m going to try and catch any college games i can to get a look at our NCAA prospects (Vande Velde – whom I’ve seen once, Riley Nash, Petry and a couple others).

To be honest, there were a few things I found odd about his game, although not particularly bad. In the defensive zone there were times were he looked more like a forward, pressuring the other team up the boards. He also jumped up in the play very quickly. If he saw a winger carrying the puck up out of the zone, sometimes he’d be the first guy out with him (that part I do like and is like an advanced version of Gilbert). Some of that probably won’t translate to the NHL level and could end up in him being burned, however, so he’ll have to adjust. But as far as college hockey goes, he seems to be an elite player there.

Boy did he ever bail his goalie out a couple of times (same shift) though. In one case the puck was going to bounce in the net and the goalie looked to be helping it along… Petry reached back with his stick and fired it out. He then prevented another goal a few moments later, clearing another rebound.

Anyways, like I said, it’s college hockey, so don’t get TOO excited, but he looks to be one of the NCAA’s best.

Gr8one: Horton just had a bone in his leg broken anyways (shot in the by a teammate on a dump in). Although I assume he will be back by the trade deadline.

Wow, the Ducks would trade Bobby Ryan? Sign me up for that, if they are interested. Although the last time we took one of their promising stars (Lupul), we know how poorly that worked out. Plus how ironic would that be picking up Ryan after Lowe’s stupid comments (called him a questionable pick during the Burke/Lowe fiasco)? Fences would need to be mended there. But I’d be happy if the Oilers picked up Ryan.

As far as Dustin Brown, I was drooling over that thought too, but I don’t see him being traded. However, won’t hurt to ask, right?

19. MetalOil says:

I’m thinking a blockbuster, multiplayer/pick trade.

TO LA:
    Souray
    Nilsson
    2nd round pick

To Edm:
    Johnson
    Frolov(UFA)
    1st round pick

M&O:

I would do that trade in a heartbeat IF we were able to re-sign Frolov, but that’s a pretty big if, rumor has it though that Frolov is set on testing the FA waters no matter what, perhaps seeing what happened to Zherdev last year might help to dissuade him on that, plus him being russian there’s always the KHL looming.

though, just the cap space it clears plus JJ and a chance at Hall/Seguin/Fowler PLUS NeonRider in the upcoming draft might still make me ok with that trade.

oh, and Racki, I did forget that Horton had been hurt, and I know injured players cannot be traded, but I wonder if they could find a loophole on that, like for example Souray and Nilsson for Leopold and “Future Considerations” knowing full well that the future considerations would be Horton coming here when Healthy.

I’m obviously being EXTREMELY hypothetical here, and I know that would likely never happen, but it could almost work in the Oilers favor in the sense that adding a Nathan Horton to our Roster right now could very well spawn a rise in the standings and take us out of a lottery pick scenario.

We could also trade him to any team we want in the off-season.

23. MetalOil says:

If Frolov thinks he is in for a big pay raise in the NHL this summer then I think that he is overvaluing himself. He has established himself as a constant underachiever and might be willing/ forced to take a salary that is on par with what he is making now on a short term deal(1 or 2 years) to reestablish himself(he needs a change of scenery and I think that he would thrive in Edmonton). If it is a big payday that he is seeking then ya he will probable have to go to Russia to get it.

I would still do this deal with him being a UFA for the reasons that u mentioned although I do not think that NeoRIDER will be available by the time that LA’s draft pick is called but maybe we can use their pick in another deal to move up even further in the 1st round to snag him.

In december, Niederreiter was ranked 21 by HF. He’s currently ranked 16th, a month later. He’s definitely climbing quickly. But I think he will be had outside the top 10. I would LOVE to draft him, but there’s still a few others out there that would be good picks as well. And I haven’t heard anything about the next year’s crop, but I suppose they could always ask for 2011 draft pick instead if the trading team was too high in the standings right now. The other option is to flip that 1st rounder and try and go for a higher 1st round pick.

I just saw this…

here—> http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/bos100123.html

26. MetalOil says:

gr8one: I just saw this…“The Bruins are believed to be looking for an upgrade on the blueline and a top-six forward.”here—> http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/bos100123.htmlNot sure if that’s true, but something like Souray and our 3rd pick for Mark Stuart and their Toronto first pick.that would give us a physical shut down guy, and two likely another lottery pick to go along with ours.not sure how Souray would fit into their cap though, but with Savard and some of their other IR money off the books for a large part of the season it might work.

I do not know if the Bruins would be wanting a defender like Souray with them already having Chara. Both bring a lot of the same elements. I can imagine a lot of bodies lunging out of the way when the puck goes back to the point on the B’s PP. Could you imagine both Chara and Souray on the same PP??? Yikes.

27. Trogdor says:

Some interesting ideas bouncing around here, but if Mr. Souray truly wants to be closer to his family, then California’s teams are the most likely of the bunch. That would be an insanely scary powerplay in SJ if he ended up there, well even more so than it already is.

Boston should get a crack at a top 3 pick which will address some of their needs, but I don’t think they’ll be patient and wait around for it to happen like our management. They’ll get something done before the post season.

Craig Simpson: u

I couldn’t agree more. Those ’06 cup run guys need to go. All of them. The chapter needs to be closed and so do the books on their salaries. If their leadership was so tremendous we’d see a more confident team IMO.

Here’s an article Terry Jones did today on the subject of Souray http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2010/01/24/12593271-sun.html

Teams I think are on his list:

LA
    San Jose
    Anaheim
    Dallas
    Chicago
    Miami (because the connections to LA are fantastic)
    Vancouver
    Phoenix

Of all the teams, Anaheim and Phoenix have players I’d be interested in.

The Oilers have freedom to move him wherever they want this summer, and I would think all teams are where they will send him. That is to say, wherever the best deal is. I do think they will try to accomidate his wish list, but at the end of the day, there are not a lot of trades made and they will likely send him anywhere they want if he’s not moved at the deadline.

chucker:
    I couldn’t agree more. Those ‘06 cup run guys need to go.All of them.The chapter needs to be closed and so do the books on their salaries.If their leadership was so tremendous we’d see a more confident team IMO.Here’s an article Terry Jones did today on the subject of Sourayhttp://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2010/01/24/12593271-sun.htmlI see it as him knowing what’s happening and offering to not be a Heatley about his NMC.Teams I think are on his list:LA
    San Jose
    Anaheim
    Dallas
    Chicago
    Miami (because the connections to LA are fantastic)
    Vancouver
    PhoenixOf all the teams, Anaheim and Phoenix have players I’d be interested in.The Oilers have freedom to move him wherever they want this summer, and I would think all teams are where they will send him.That is to say, wherever the best deal is.I do think they will try to accomidate his wish list, but at the end of the day, there are not a lot of trades made and they will likely send him anywhere they want if he’s not moved at the deadline.

I gotta wonder too that if a deal were to be had with a major contender out east like Washington or Pittsburgh, would he really say no to that kind of opportunity? although, I’m sure DC would have direct connections with LA as well.

30. MetalOil says:

I agree that all the ’06′ cup run boys need to be moved with the exception of Hemsky. I wouldn’t be actively shopping him myself. If another team calls us with an offer we should listen but I would not be the one initiating trade talks with Hemmer if I were Tamby because I like the chemistry of Hemsky, Penner and Gags for the first line next season.

My big wish is that they don’t rush a trade. They can afford to be patient. They can even respect his list in the off-season, even thought they don’t have to. Just don’t get ripped on this deal, Tambi..

i saw the hnic spot where they mentioned this and pierre lebrun also said that ny rangers are in the mix

Through Souray’s choice? I guess that could be true (who DOESN’T want to go to NY?), but that pretty much refutes the idea that he’s doing it to be closer to his family. Either way, I guess it doesn’t really matter. If he wants out, it doesn’t matter the reason really. Glad he’s not holding a gun to the team’s head though about it.

35. Craig Simpson says:

I have to say, I’m not a fan of Frolov. In fact, there are few Russians I’d risk having on my team at this point. I think they are too big a flight risk and Frolov is often a lazy player. We don’t need any more of those.

Racki: Yah, I’m not so sure Souray would turn down Washington/Pittsburgh either, but I don’t think either team needs that big of a change. So I’m thinking Phoenix, Los Angeles, Anaheim, San Jose (who probably wouldn’t do it) would be the most likely destinations. The top of Bobby Ryan being available is ineresting. However at the same time, I think bringing in Bobby Ryan means we should be moving some players out, as we’ve got a top-six traffic jam as is. One would think though that Ryan would be an upgrade on most of our top six though if for no other reason than his size.

yeah, that’s agood point about us having too many top 6 type players, but I also believe that it’s possible for us to do a successful rebuild, and still ice a really good team next year.

so, if we were to package Souray and say Nilsson we could potentially get a lesser known, relatively inexpensive shut down d like a Boynton, and a top 6 Forward with some size like a Bobby Ryan, though we might have to sweeten the pot a bit if Ryan is in the mix, but I’d give up a 3rd rnd pick or a half decent prospect to get Ryan since he’s still so young himself and could very easily be franchise type player .

so, in the above scenario, we still have too many top6 type forwards, and packaging something like Cogs and Staios for someone like Horton, which is still not mortgaging our future because Horton is still young as well.

and ship out the rest of the dead weight for picks/prospects/players that can bolster Springfield.

and sign an old grizzled vet in the offseason like a Recchi to come in and be captain and mentor some of these kids.

Penner Gagner Hemsky
    Eberle Horton Ryan
    MPS Horcoff Brule
    JFJ Recchi Stortini

keep players like Potulny and Pouliot for callups/depth, and help make Springfield succeed, as well as we wouldn’t have to rush in our Hall or Seguin.

Hopefully we could sign Omark as well and convince him to spend some time in Springfield and if he does well than that’s another asset that could be traded for something else or made another asset expendable for the acquisition of other needed pieces

sorry…just kinda thinking “out loud”

and again, it’s just a hypothetical blueprint of how I don’t think we need a 5 or 7 year rebuild plan to be relevant again as some people are suggesting, and I also believe also don’t need to mortgage the future to do it either.

gr8one: Would love to see all that happen, if possible. Although I’d sub Recchi for someone with more years left – whitney maybe?.. but point noted. As much as I hate to say it, Horc might even wind up lower down the depth chart too, unless he stepped it up. But other than that, it would work well I think, if it were possible.

38. Mr.Majestyk says:

Well since its trade suggestion time I’m gonna throw out Souray and Nilsson(or Cogs if thats what it takes to get it done) to San Jose for Douglas Murray and Ryane Clowe. Heck, if they want Pouliot thats fine too. I just feel like those two players coming back to Edmonton would be great pieces to help the club moving forward.

Anyone catch Clowe throwing down with Parros the other day? He tuned him pretty good.

39. Ryan 82 says:

Here we go

Phoenix :Zbynek Michalek
    Peter Mueller
    3rd Round pick

Edm:Sheldon Souray
    Marc Pouliot

or

La:Jack Johnson
    Wayne Simmonds
    2nd Round pick

Edm:Sheldon Souray
    Andrew Coglino/Robert Nilsson

MrM: Damn, missed that, but I’ll hit up youtube. Anyone catch Gilbert laying out Clowe when the Oil played the Sharks last? :P

Seriously though, Clowe would address a need, for sure. Could use someone of Murray’s size on the blueline too.

Ryan 82: I would like an LA deal for JJ. But I’d like to hang on to Cogs still though. I’m not sure Simmonds lives up to some of the hype given him either, so I am not sure the cost to get him in the trade would be so high.

edit: just watched the Clowe/Parros fight.. wow.. great job to Clowe. I wonder if Parros returning from injury played a small factor. I’d have to say that Clowe starting the chainsaw was probably the biggest factor.. came out with some zing!

41. MetalOil says:

I just wish that there was a way for us pry Johnathan Quick from the Kings(What a cool name for a goalie) but I do not see a way for us to make that happen nor do I see the Kings letting him go.

Yah honestly, I don’t think they can/should make any goaltender movies until Khabi is gone anyways (whether that is at the end of his contract or otherwise).

I don’t want Frolov. He’s UFA and not playing at all like he wants a good contract. He’s been a piece of shit this year in what should have been a carreer year to maximize value. He even had top line minutes for a long time while Smyth was injured. Nothing. KHL for him as far as I am concerned.

St. Louis would be interesting as well. They have some good young guys and are building properly. I wonder if they would give any up?

Since his name was rumored in a Vancouver trade, I’ll throw out David Backes. Although would Souray actually go to St. Louis? Perhaps there is another deal there though.

46. DropIt says:

OUCH M.O:

Calgary’s Horcoff?

Dion Phaneuf is still 24 years old. And I find it obvious you don’t watch Flame games, but rather look at the points column?
    Dion has been great this year, and Calgary likely has no plans on moving him. Robyn Regehr has a better chance at being shipped out. The NY post doesn’t know shit, as they are predicting that Calgary will take Rozival back on a 5 million dollar contract for a far worse defenseman. All the Phaneuf rumours just media types jumping on Calgary because we are in a slump currently.
    An maybe its just homerism. But I think most teams take the 10 year younger Phaneuf at an extra 1 mill.
    Currently Souray and Phaneuf are playing the same type of game, but Phaneuf could be argued to be playing better defensively.
    Remember, if 1 below average season makes for a career, then the Oilers are in tough with fan favorites Sam Gagner and Andrew Coglianno.

Dropit:

48. MetalOil says:

gr8one: Dropit:I don’t necessarily think that M&O was saying that Phaneuf is a bad defenseman, just like most Oilers fans don’t think Horcoff is a bad hockey player…just overpaid, and if I remember correctly, Phaneuf didn’t exactly have a great season last year either, again, not saying he’;s a poor d-man, he definitely brings a lot to the table, but I think there is certainly an argument for him being overpaid, and it’s not JUST The cap hit that could scare away suitors, but the term.

Pretty much what I am saying.
    Horcoff and Phaneuf are both overpaid with many years left on their deals so I do think that they are comparable as the worst contracts on each team however I Would rather have Phaneuf and his deal over Horcoff and his because Phaneuf is still young and does have the potential to turn it around where as Horcoff has already peaked.

DropIt please explain how Phaneuf has been GREAT??? that seems like a bit of a strong word to describe his play.

49. DropIt says:

This year, he has been playing well. Maynbe not if you look at his goals and assists, and his +/- isn’t stellar by any means. But for his 2nd year playing vs top lines, he has actually carried Robyn Regehr defensively all season. And has shut down big lines, like Heatley/Marleau/Thornton (1st game) and Kane/Towes/Hossa.
    Through this past drought, he has gone as the team has, but besides Mark Giordano, Dion has outplayed every other defenseman for the majority of the season.
    —–
    I get how Pohaneuf is overpaid right now, and compareable to Horcoff for the fact that its a big salary. But in all honesty, other than the month of November, I think a more accurate comparison this season has been Jarome

Horcoff’s contract makes Phaneuf’s look like a bargain.

On the note of Souray….

He’s provided his list.

Here’s an interesting bit from Jason Gregor of Oilers Nation:

Sheldon Souray has given the Oilers a list of teams he’d be willing to go to. I will say this about the situation. I spoke with Souray about the family angle and moving closer to his kids. He said that Edmonton was great because his children get to see their grandma, aunts and cousins when they come to Edmonton and no other city can match that.

He said he understand the situation and would be happy to stay in Edmonton, but also that a move could make sense for both sides. I think this is more of a hockey decision than a family one for Souray. His kids live in Las Vegas, and yes LA and San Jose are closer, but there is no extended family there.