HNIC: Sheldon Souray to provide list of teams he’ll waive NTC for

By , January 23, 2010 10:32 pm
Studly Wonderbomb

Studly Wonderbomb during happier times

Well, let me preface this by saying that I hope people will see this for what it is and not turn this into another Chris Pronger incident. Sheldon Souray likely isn’t demanding his way out, but it’s quite likely he would jump at any chance to move to the teams on his list. And well, I can’t blame him. He came here with hopes of helping turn this team into a cup contender. At this stage of the game, nearly 3 years since he signed here, it’s obvious that the Oilers are in re-build mode after keeping the team on life support for at least that length of time. Souray is turning 34 this July, and is likely looking to play for a contender. More importantly though, he’s also expressed several times that he would like to live closer to his kids.

On the positive side, Souray is an asset a lot of teams would love to get their hands on. He can blast bombs from the point, he can hit like a freight train, he’s a great leader (damn is that going to be missed), he packs a huge punch, he’s a mean son of a bitch, and stands up for his teammates. He’s a tough guy to replace. In my opinion, he’s worth it for a team to spend $5.4M cap on.

This year has obviously been a bad year for him offensively, but you could easily argue that this has a lot more to do with the team’s current state of suck than it does Souray’s own problems.

So I guess let the speculation begin. One would have to assume it will be a Western Conference team that Souray requests a trade to (although I wouldn’t be too surprised to see a strong Eastern Conference team on the list). The Kings, Sharks, and Ducks are very logical teams that first come to mind (given his kids currently live with their mother in California). Feel free to suggest some trades you’d like to see in the comments section. This would be a good way to pick up another first rounder.

UPDATE:
Souray was interview today after the skills comp and had this to say about the stuff surrounding his list of teams he’d waive for:

I really just gave both (Tambellini/Lowe?) my opinion, and from there they’ll do whatever they want to do. But like I said, I’m not going to tie anyone’s hands with it if something goes that way. It’s not really for me to worry about.

It doesn’t change anything, anyways. I think the day I was asked (if he would waive his NTC if asked) was a slow media day and I said “the way things are going, I would understand – I wouldn’t hold them back” and it’s gained a little momentum obviously from the way the team is performing.

But you know I come to the rink every day, proud to be an Oiler. It hasn’t changed the way I played. So, it won’t, I mean, it’s business, you know, and we’re professionals and no matter what situation you’re in – whether you’re a first year player, five year player or ten year player – you’ve got to come every day and be professional.

77 Responses to “HNIC: Sheldon Souray to provide list of teams he’ll waive NTC for”

1. DropIt says:

I wonder if Pheonix makes sense? They are playing well as of late, and will have to continue to do so if they want to secure a playoff spot. The Coyotes have a tonne of young players, and have an extra 1st rounder this year.
    Just a thought

Phoenix DOES make sense, for sure.

And well, it seems now (by JG’s quote of Souray) that Souray isn’t limiting his options to just being close to his kids. And quite frankly, it sounds like he’s not even really asking for a trade, per se. But I can see him going to Phoenix, not that they are in a playoff spot and showing signs of being a young, up and coming team.

3. DropIt says:

No. It sounds like he likes it in Edmonton, but I think he and the organization are calling a spade a spade. Edmonton is likely rebuilding, and Sheldon Souray is easily one of the Oilers top assets. And with Souray’s age, he won’t be an integral part of the team when they recover from their rebuild (assuming it takes 3 or so years).

May as well send Souray somewhere he has a chance to win, for a return that gives you a chance in the future.

yah, that’s exactly it, DropIt.

Lots of talk about Souray, but at what point did Visnovsky enter the Oilers discount sale? Apparently there was an interview I missed where he said he would also waive his NTC, and then this article surfaces naming Vis as being on the table. Beware it is Garrioch, who also can’t spell Hemsky’s first name right.

6. MetalOil says:

I agree on the Visnovsky love. I would even compare him to the likes of Hemsky, as far as value on the team. Fully worth hanging on to, as MO says.

Jason Gregor said yesterday that with Souray likely being moved, Visnovsky will come off the table. So expect it to be an either or.

Really, I’ll be pretty angry too if Visnovsky is moved. I’m actually considering buying a jersey with his name on it eventually, so I hope he isn’t moved. He’s a key piece of the team.

Trading Visnovsky and Souray instead of dealing with the problem players (Moreau, Staios, O’Sullivan, etc.) is lazy GM’ing. I know that it’s possible to move these guys, because some have even been asked about by other teams (Moreau and Staios have, apparently).

Yes, I hear the sob story about how tough it is to do anything with the big contracts. However, sorry Mr. Katz, this is the team you bought. Both he and Tambellini are going to have to do what it takes to move those bad contracts. That means buyouts, waivers, trading, whatever it takes. Horcoff can stay because you don’t have to completely unload this team. But if Visnovsky goes and Moreau/Staios stay, I’ll flip my lid. Not that it’ll do anything. :P But really, like I said, that’s taking the lazy way out. The salary issues can be solved with some willingness to do what I mentioned above. We’re already the siberia of the NHL, but that’s because the team is horrible and rebuilding, not because of how players are treated. Other teams waive players often enough or buy them out (right big Georges?). It happens, and those teams keep trucking along, business as usual.

MetalOil: If we trade Lubes I will be devastated and very angry. With all due respect to Penner he is our team mvp and our best player. He makes the other players around him better and without him we would be no better then an AHL team. He is a piece of the puzzle that is worth holding on to.

I agree – especially because he makes other players around him better so if you go rebuild you still need that type of player on D. I hate to see either Souray or Vis go but I hope like Racki says it is only one. I’m worried though that other GM’s might see higher value in Vis compared to Souray and then there might be more demand/return for Vis. So I’m a bit concerned that Tambi will bite on something shiny and do something stupid. I’ll be glad when the trade deadline is over!

LNOF: Yah no kidding. It will be nice to see if the Oil brass have the guts to cut all the overpaid vets loose too. But really, thats the one guy they just have to keep around.

Guys I’d really like to see back next year (that are up in the NHL):

Penner, Gagner, Lubo, Smid, Brule, Hemsky, Cogliano, Comrie (hey, he’s cheap and effective, if he can stay healthy), and to a lesser extent Grebeshkov. After that, I’m OK with anyone being moved. I’d love it if Souray was able to stay too though, but that doesn’t look like it will happen (and well, it will save Tambi some hassle of unloading other players who are unmovable).

As for Tambi “biting on something shiny”… I could just see it now.. the Oilers have traded (x players) for Ilya Kovalchuk! DOH! *smacks forehead*

Do we really want anything other than picks and prospects for all these trades? Seriously. Let’s say we have a chance to get some good players to swap out the bad ones. Do you do it and hurt the tank potentially? I say no. Go for all picks and guys who are just breaking in or have not broken in yet. You know Carolina and TO will be shedding everything resembling an NHL player that they can to get closer to last.

I just don’t trust management to even be good at failing. Is it just me?

The only issue i see is that we may have to take on some salary in return for certain players. But in order for it to make sense for us, it would likely be an expiring contract.

yeah, I would not be pleased to lose Visnovsky under any circumstances, but if the were ti get rid of him and still retain the services of Moreau and/or Staios, I too would flip my fucking lid.

the point you make about taking on expiring contracts reminded me of twatwaffle saying the Capitals were in the mix for Souray, which of course led me to speculate some possibilities there,

there are the ones that are more unlikely but kinda make you salivate as a fan, like getting Semin+ out of it in a package deal, but I don’t see WA doing that while being such a strong cup contender this year,.

there are also the the scenarios that make sense and would still be great for the Oilers like getting some sort of combination of Shaone Morrison with an Eric Fehr, Brooks Laich or Thomas Fleischmann.

and then there has also been some speculation of Huet coming back to us as a salary dump for the Caps this season, and his contract expiring at the end of the season so it’s basically a salary dump for us for next year, which is not necessarily a bad thing if we get more than just that in return. and it also gives us a starting goalie for the remainder of this season to relieve some of the pressure from DD and JDD.

although, that last scenario I like least if only because if huet does come here and play well, it could seriously hamper the lottery pick situation.

Good stuff Gr8one. Agreed on all of that, although I don’t believe a word “twatwaffle” says. I wouldn’t be surprised if there were talks with several teams. But Eklund Twatwaffle is just throwing darts in the dark right now.

gr8one – you lost me on Huet as a salary dump for the Caps. Do you mean Theodore?

Or have we gone back in time? (smiley face that I can’t insert goes here)

Oops, even that one tricked me.. good catch ;) Ya I would assume he meant Theodore :P

lol…yeah, I meant Theodore, I was just coming to correct it, too late I see.

fast bastards :p

Steckel would be nice to have too…fuck the caps have a good team.

Well re Theo – Personally, I don’t want to see any goalie come to the Oilers to close out the season and take pressure off JDD & DD. It’s too late for that. They wanted playing time, they got it. The Oilers put themselves in a position to have to make a decision between the two, assuming Khabi comes back healthy (or as reasonably close to healthy as Khabi can be). So the Oilers get to see how their play and their mental toughness stack up against NHL competition and situations.

It may sound tough but I also don’t think any reasonable person is hanging the season on them and both of them probably know that. If they have what it takes for success in this league this season shouldn’t be a big confidence breaker for either them because the Oilers aren’t making the playoffs anyway – so really what pressure is there on them? They are under as much pressure as they put on themselves to be better each game.

I don’t know what the rumours are about Theodore but I can’t imagine the Caps going into the playoffs with just Varlamov who has been injured and Neuvirth who is inconsistent. Even though the Caps went with Varlamov last year they did have some vet presence in Theodore to fall back on.

I’m with chucker – if we’re going to rebuild, we are looking at picks and prospects in return for salary dumps. We don’t need to replace ongoing salary dump with expiring salary dump IMO. Any vet players that can provide the right type of leadership for the youngsters during the rebuild are either retained from what we have now (i.e. Visnovsky) or signed reasonably cheap via free agency (i.e. Weight & Roli for the Isles). The vets you sign are on board with assisting with the rebuild and teaching the young guys how to win.

We are looking at 1-2 years minumum but I tell ya, from seeing the comments on the Isles board, once you start to see the benefits of the rebuild you start to get excited to see what the future holds because you see the team play and develop chemistry like a team should. You see a young team learning about what it takes to win with eagerness to compete. As the team improves, you see the long-term and sustained hope for the future.

18. Mr.Majestyk says:

LNOF: With regards to JDD and DD. I think the pressure has been squarely put on their shoulders this season since Khabi went down. With both battling for a position next year as they are both RFA’s and only 1 spot available in Edmonton, neither one has particularly made a case for themselves to be that guy. They have both shown flashes of it, but they have also looked very bad at times. Management gave them more than they could handle and I just hope it hasn’t had adverse effects on their play going forward. Seems like JDD who got the bulk of the games at the start has completely lost confidence, and now with Doobie in there for some other devastating losses, we’ll see how long before he’s lost his confidence.

As far as getting players back instead of draft picks…I don’t care as long as the players coming back are key components to addressing the teams needs moving forward. We’re still without Hemsky and Khabi here…I can’t see us climbing the standings anytime soon.

Mr. M – I understand what you’re saying, I guess I haven’t seen the complete lost confidence yet in either of them. Yes the pressure to perform has been on their shoulders, as it should, but I don’t see the blame placed on their shoulders, because it has been a circumstance beyond their control. I think it’s different compared to other young goalies who have been rushed because when Khabi went down the expectations were lowered. I think both are using this as a test and a learning experience as they should.

I can’t imagine JDD is preferring last season where he was a permanent fixture on the bench after Garon was traded, to this season, where he is right in the thick of things. He learned by watching last season, now he is learning by playing. That has to be an improvement in his eyes if he keeps everything in perspective.

Same with Dubnyk – he was keen on getting some time in the NHL this season and now he’s got it. I think he’s showing some improvement the more he plays, in spite of the losses. He needs to be looking at this as a learning process.

To me, if management brings in another goalie at this point of the season that will tell JDD and DD that management has completely lost confidence in them and is telling them that they failed. And that simply isn’t fair to them and could be the biggest blow to their confidence ever. Everyone concerned has to be looking at this as an opportunity for these 2 young guys to see how they can improve while facing NHL competiton. I know they have been rushed, but that wasn’t part of the original plan, so all they can do is perform to the best of their abilities. That’s all they can control.

If they lose confidence because they can’t perform to the best of their abilities, that’s one thing, and they will need to keep re-focusing to get their game within those abilities. If they lose confidence because they can’t perform over and above their abilities then that’s completely different and the Oilers have to make sure that is not happening.

20. Mr.Majestyk says:

We’re mostly on the same page on this. I’m sure both guys are happy to be playing more games this season but its one of those things where things haven’t exactly worked out the way they wanted them to. I think JDD has lost confidence this year, and I just worry that the same will happen to Doobie. Its not a matter of management getting a replacement goalie at this point because I just don’t see them doing that either. Failure for both these guys will be when one of them isn’t offered a one way contract. That guy might be JDD after he came into the season as the backup goaltender, he might fall through the cracks mostly because he was hung out to dry and as a result of the teams poor showing on many nights things started to look bleak.

Yeah, we’re mostly on the same page! Let’s put a different spin on it though. I think they both knew once Khabi was signed for 4 years that with both of them on 1 year contracts coming into the season only one would get re-signed for next year. Seeing as Doobie will become waiver eligible next year the Oilers presumably wouldn’t want to go the 3 goalie route again but also wouldn’t want to lose either guy for nothing by putting one of them down in the AHL.

So I agree we will see only one re-signed, since that seemed to be a given going into the season. I don’t think it’s failure for the other one though because I’m thinking that one will likely be part of a draft day trade and get an opportunity on another team that hopefully isn’t as messed up as the Oilers! I think GM’s will look at the situation these guys were placed in and understand they were hung out to dry most nights and look at how they dealt with it all at the NHL level. I hope…

22. Stephanie says:

Hello M. Souray, please come back to montreal….. we need you !

Stephanie

23. NorwegianOiler says:

M. Souray says he is no longer the boss of where he is going and must damn well go where Tambellini sees fit. Personally, I actually hope Montreal is not one of the destinations. Not that I dislike the Habs at all, but I don’t see what they could trade us that we’d ‘need’ – other than maybe a first rounder ;)

24. Stephanie says:

We can give them a first rounder and throw them the 2 Kostityn brothers. loll

We need this guy !

Stephanie, you can have him for that, I wish you were the Habs GM!

26. Dirk says:

Now with some young talent, and some much needed changes, I hope Shelly would like to stay in Edmonton!!! He will be a great leader for these young players as well as a solid enforcer for those who think they can take runs at Ales, Taylor and the rest of our young players! Souray, stay in the Heartland of Hockey!!!

Thanks for the post, Dirk!

I actually wished that he never spoke his mind in public so it would be easier for everyone to put it all behind him. I still don’t see him as the villain here, but I am still a bit disappointed. I think though that he won’t be moved to any other team at all, so I think one way or another we’re stuck with him… and for that reason, I hope he has a big season this year to prove again that he still has value.