By , January 30, 2010 11:50 am
GDT - The Battle For A Win - Oilers at Flames

GDT - The Battle For A Win - Oilers at Flames

Oh it’s on, folks. Hockey Day In Canada… the Battle of Alberta. What more could you ask for? Well, a win tonight sure as hell would be nice. Forget about the Dive for Five, Tank for Taylor/Tyler, Saggin’ for Seguin, Foul-up for Fowler or whatever you want to call it. This is the battle for ultimate hockey supremacy. OK, maybe not quite that big, but it sure would feel good to see a win tonight, no?

As we all know, the Oilers are sitting at 12 straight losses (including OT/Shootout losses), and have 1 one win in their last 20. The Flames are winless in 9 games. This is the battle for a bloody win. And let’s hope it’s a bloody, spirited game. If these teams come out flat, I’ll be surprised. This is the type of game that SHOULD bring out the fight in both teams. And with it being in Calgary’s barn, I’d love to see an Edmonton win tonight. Calgary is also on the verge of sweeping the season series, and the Oilers can not let that happen!

No heart/brain prediction tonight.. just one prediction: 5-2 Oilers.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Gagner-Nilsson
O’Sullivan-Potulny-Brule
Moreau-Horcoff-Pisani
Jacques-Pouliot-Cogliano

Souray – Gilbert
Grebeshkov – Visnovsky
Chorney – Strudwick

Dubnyk
Deslauriers

Calgary Flames Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Boyd – Backlund – Iginla

19 PP% 16.4
74 PK% 83.1
28.6 S/G 28
31.6 SA/G 29.7
47.2 FO% 47.1

GAME NOTES

– O’Sullivan is in, Comrie is out. Stortini remains out of the lineup for this game.
– Dubnyk gets the nod in net for the Oilers.

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST PERIOD SCORING
CGY – 3:45 – Boyd from Backlund, Iginla
Grebeshkov loses the puck behind the net. The Flames get it out front and Boyd puts it away.
EDM – 12:25 – Gagner (PP) from O’Sullivan, Grebeshkov
O’Sullivan backhands a pass from the slot to Gagner who is near the goal line. He shelfs it upstairs with very little room. Nice goal.
CGY – 13:20 – Bourque from Bouwmeester, Iginla
On a delayed penalty call by captainslashalot, Bouwmeester drives into the Oilers zone, behind the net and throws it out front to Bourque who one times it past Doobie.
2ND PERIOD SCORING
CGY – 6:48 – Boyd unassisted
Sheldon Souray passes it to Gagner who tries to touch pass it to Moreau, but it’s intercepted by Boyd who beats Dubnyk.
CGY – 7:32 – Phaneuf from Lundmark, Jokinen
Phaneuf wires a one-timer with a screen in front of Dubnyk. Dubnyk doesn’t even flinch as it blows past him.
CGY – 15:13 – Iginla (PP) from Giordano, Jokinen
On a 5-on-3, Girodano takes a hard shot from the high slot that Dubnyk kicks to the side. Iginla picks up the rebound on the side of the net and puts it in a wide open net.
3RD PERIOD SCORING
CGY – 9:40 – Iginla from Boyd, Bouwmeester
Boyd loses control of the puck while going to the ned and it slides across the crease to Iginla who is there to bang it in.
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd Total
EDM EDM 10 9 9 28
CGY CGY 9 14 7 30

1ST PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

16:55 – Gilbert jumps in on a play and one-times a shot in on Kipper. Best chance so far for the Oilers.
14:48 – Dubnyk gives it away to Sjostrom behind the net. Nothing bad becomes of this though.
13:35 – Nice take away by Nilsson to keep this shift alive… the Flames have been hemmed in their zone for a good minute and a half or so as the Oil run this shift like it’s a powerplay.
12:12 – Pisani takes a hard hit from Giordano while dumping it out of the Oilers zone.
9:25 – Boyd hits Gilbert knee on knee, earning a penalty. Horcoff drops the gloves with Giordano. He takes some good shots early on. He lands a couple good punches of his own, and gets the take down, but I’ll score this one a win for Giordano.
6:10 – Bouwmeester feeds Jokinen a pass, blue line to blue line and Jokinen gets in all alone on Dubnyk. Dubnyk makes a nice stick save on the shot by Jokinen.
5:25 – Phaneuf hits O’Sullivan late after a whistle. O’Sullivan gives him a good shot back. Quasimodo loses his balance and lands an accidental elbow on O’Sullivan.

2ND PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

16:07 – Regehr rides Brule into the end boards on a dump in, sending Brule to the ice.
15:00 – Grebeshkov jumps in on the play and rips a laser off the top bar.
14:10 – Great shot block by Moreau here.
12:28 – The Oilers call a time out after the Flames fourth goal.
10:53 – Glencross gets a pass from behind the goalline in the slot that he nearly buries to make it 5-1, but it hits the bar.
8:10 – Souray straight arms Jokinen as he’s trying to skate into his office, and he sends Jokinen to the ice and sliding into the side boards.
7:34 – McGratton tries to get something going with Strudwick. Moreau steps in to his aid as well. The only thing that happens here is some angry gazes, a few words, and some more Mark Lee Flames-love.
7:20 – Visnovsky blasts a shot from the high slot that redirects off Pardy and into Kippers armpit area as he makes a save.
6:20 – Souray roughs up Iginla and gets called, putting the team down 2 men.
5:48 – On the 5-on-3, Dubnyk makes a nice, aggressive save on a Phaneuf slap shot as he comes out to challenge.

3RD PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

18:16 – Good short-handed chance by Glencross as he wheels past Visnovsky, who got all turned up. But he is stopped by Dubnyk.
17:41 – Brule sets up Jacques who gets in alone with Kipper. He goes forehand – backhand, but Kipper doesn’t give him a lot to shoot at.
16:50 – Iggy and Souray drop the gloves and helmets. Not a bad fight. Both guys are swinging for the fences. Souray lands one right on the button. Not much else landed it didn’t seem, and both guys have troubles keeping their balance. It’s later announced that Souray left the game favoring his wrist.
15:30 – Phaneuf blindsides Potulny with a hit.
14:38 – Cogliano blows through the defence (Sarich and Bouwmeester) and gets alone on Kipper. Kipper goes down and Cogliano goes to the backhand, but Kipper throws out the glove. Cogliano draws a penalty on the play as well.
12:34 – Bouwmeester’s penalty ends and he nearly receives an airmailed breakaway pass at the blue line from Glencross who was in the Flames goal area, but it just slides past Bouwmeester. Dubnyk freezes the puck as it comes to him.
5:38 – McGratton burns Grebeshkov one on one, but Dunbyk bails him out. Yikes, this team’s defense is disgusting.

POST-GAME RANT

A 6-1 loss to a team in a horrible slump… how do you think this one went? Brutal all around game, by the heartless Oilers. The Oilers have now officially set history – the first NHL team ever to lose every single game in a month (including OT/SO losses). To top it off, Souray left the game with an injured hand after fighting Iginla. Quinn mentioned in his post game that the hand is fractured (the extent is unknown though at this point). This may keep him out for the rest of the season, which creates even more of a problem than it sounds (hint: think trade deadline….). Kind of have to wonder when the Oilers will win again. More and more ways pop up to kick this team while it’s down.

Next game, the real Biggest Loser challenge – Monday vs. Carolina, 7:30 at home on PPV. Order this one, and I’ll put you on a waiting list for a lobotomy.

229 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 1, Calgary Flames 6 – Jan 30, 2010 @ 8:00 PM – CBC – Game 53”

1. MetalOil says:

Yeah I am pretty pumped for this one as well but will have to settle for just catching the tail end of it at the closest bar to Rexall place because I will be in attendance at the Other BOA where the Powerhouse Edmonton Rush 2-1(I use the word powerhouse cause a 2-1 record is pretty damn good for a Edmonton team these days :) ) take on the Calgary Rougnecks(1-2). Here is to hoping for a BOA sweep tonight!!!

I fear the offensive break out from Calagary on our offensive defensemen tonight. If we’re going to pull out a win JDD our Doobie will have to be on their top game.

Looks like Bourque has been the biggest thorn in our side so far this year with 11 pts. They’re going to need to shut him down. Good thing he’s cooled a bit lately with the rest of the team.

You forgot about the Jaggermeister for Neatosheister.

I’m ripped and torn. The only thing going on in my brain is “Chucker, do you remember that one game? You know, the Kane vs. Gagner game?” Response to self “Chucker; Sadly I do. Must we live through this twice?”.

Anyway, should be a gooder for the fights if nothing else. I will likely need “a bag of goodies and a bottle of wine” for this one as there will be “No sugar tonight”.

BTW, did we ever get that canoe for NO so we can follow through on his plans?

I think it’s 5pm somewhere….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1esOG6aUlX4 For those who have no clue about my references.

5. NorwegianOiler says:

I look forward to this game, actually!

haaha, I thought about putting up Neato, but since he’s ranked 8 (by Bob McKenzie anyways) or higher, we don’t need to tank, per se, to acquire him.

I look forward to this game, actually!

yes, that was the painful one.. of course though, it’s hard to say whether it would have factored into a lottery win for us instead or not… but it was a bit of a kick in the junk for them to win that last final game to jump out of 5th… and even better kick when the 5th place team (of course Chicago) won the lottery.

Yes, it’s still a little too fresh a wound for me, despite that it was a few years ago.

Comrie and O’Sullivan swap, Stortini still out, Dubnyk in

as per twitter

Not too happy about Comrie being out, myself. Hopefully he didn’t kiss your toilet seat again.

NorwegianOiler: Gagner/Kane game? Was that the 3-2 win in game 82, where Thoresen scored the GWG late in the third to ‘propel’ us out of what became Chicago’s lottery pick? I look forward to this game, actually!

If watching time travel movies has taught me anything, it’s that if you go back and change the slightest thing in past history, the future is vastly different. Don’t believe me; Watch The Butterfly Effect? :lol:

11. MetalOil says:

Just imagine the embarrassment for the Flames if we beat em tonight!!!!! This is our playoff game for the year.

MetalOil: Just imagine the embarrassment for the Flamers if we beat em tonight!!!!! This is our playoff game for the year.

That would be sweet, especially for me to bug my Calgary colleagues. They are already calling for blood down there. This would be the salt in the wound.

Suddenly the Sutters are being exposed for what they really are, which, in my view, is just average hockey guys who were fortunate enough to have some pretty good players on their team to limit the damage to their perceived prowess.

No playoffs=no Sutters at the end of the year for sure.

13. MetalOil says:

Sorry folks. CBC has been forced to pull the plug on tonight’s game due to the fact that CityTV owns the exclusive Canadian rights to the show “The Biggest Loser” :)

Nice.^^^

lol… bazinga!

From the Edmonton Sun:

The Oilers are one game away from doing what has never been done in franchise history before – lose every single, solitary game in a full month schedule.

It hasn’t been done by an NHL team for 12 years!

Oi… all the more reason for them to win this one.

17. DropIt says:

WORST GAME EVER

Calgary will lose, Im 51% sure of that.

18. Haboiler says:

19. Puritania says:

chucker: Yes indeed. However, who’s to say that the fates would have aligned the same way they did for us as they did for Chi-Town.If watching time travel movies has taught me anything, it’s that if you go back and change the slightest thing in past history, the future is vastly different. Don’t believe me; Watch The Butterfly Effect? I think we’ll see lots of emotion from both teams tonight. It should be entertaining if nothing else. I can’t see it being like the last game against St. Louis for entertainment value. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.Hopefully this is a night that sees our vets show their true mettle and thus raises the bar for what they are worth when we dump them. I would have to think that there will be some scouts watching both teams with all the rumours swirling as they are right now.

My buddy Michio has something to say bout that time travel business :) (pay no mind to the host he is a tool)

20. MetalOil says:

F

DropIt: WORST GAME EVERCalgary will lose, Im 51% sure of that.

I get the sense from my friends that are Flames fans that they are dreading this game. Probably because the Flames have a heck of a lot more to lose then we do at this point.

21. DropIt says:

MetalOil: FI get the sense from my friends that are Flamers fans that they are dreading this game. Probably because the Flamers have a heck of a lot more to lose then we do at this point.

Pretty much, I mean I actually think Calgary will win, as they have actually been playing quite well for the past 3 or 4 games… But when it comes down to it, Calgary has everything to lose here, while Edmonton does not (minus a couple records) and that scares the shit out of me

Racki: From the Edmonton Sun:
    Oi… all the more reason for them to win this one.

I know…we cannot let this happen.

Puritania:
    My buddy Michio has something to say bout that time travel business :)(pay no mind to the host he is a tool)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnkE2yQPw6sThis is the first game in a while I’m actually getting up for. Hope the Oil pull this one out, wanna see big hits and some scraps for once Oil. Make it happen you dandies!!!

I actually watched that whole video, interestedly… damn I’m a nerd.

Haboiler: Stortini out again in what should be a fairly physical contest… Who will step up?

Dan Tencer via Twitter:
    In the previous 28 seasons of the Battle of Alberta, no team has ever swept the season series. Calgary would do it with a win tonight.

Fuck. Even more reason to win.

24. Puritania says:

Racki: I actually watched that whole video, interestedly… damn I’m a nerd.Bad decision, imho. Plus O’Sullivan in for Comrie? Equally if not moreso bad decision. Unless Comrie is hurting right now.Fuck. Even more reason to win.

lol no need to berate yourself my good man, theoretical physics kicks ass. If you ever get a chance watch as many videos of Michio Kaku as you can, he talks about some really, really mindbending shit. Invisibility and Teleportation (we have already successfully cloaked an object and we have successfully teleported an electron 600 meters if I remember correctly) to name a few.

Puritania:

Good evening…please win Oilers!

As a side, whether you like Andrew Raycroft or not, and irregardless of how much you hate the ‘Nucks, sure was nice seeing Raycroft tell the Leafs to kiss his ass tonight.

27. Puritania says:

Racki: This is the first time I’ve ever seen the guy. He seems like a bit of a fruit loop, but that’s not uncommon for a physicist. But I find myself compelled to watch several of this guy’s videos.. pretty cool stuff.

Lol yup the man is for sure a bit loopy, however he is incredibly brilliant.

Puritania:
    Lol yup the man is for sure a bit loopy, however he is incredibly brilliant.Sometime when you have a bit of time on your hands you have to check out this radio broadcast, it’s pretty awesome http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpdJqQBO72s&feature=related (the conversation is in chunks, the rest are in the related videos)

Yah I’ll definitely check that out, and have checked out a few of those vids on youtube already since you posted.. interesting stuff. Some of it seems pretty far fetched, but I’ll take his word on it.. :lol:

29. Puritania says:

Racki: Yah I’ll definitely check that out, and have checked out a few of those vids on youtube already since you posted.. interesting stuff. Some of it seems pretty far fetched, but I’ll take his word on it..

lol seems far fetched now but in a while it’ll be commonplace :)

Paul Brandt = turncoat. You can’t root for both teams, sorry pal!

31. Puritania says:

Goddamnit, cmon boys

Puritania:
    lol seems far fetched now but in a while it’ll be commonplace :)

Well that’s exactly it.. “hah! this guy thinks the world is round!!”

33. Puritania says:

Grebs has looked sooo bad since he came back. He gets my vote for being moved over Gilbert.

Crap. A few soft plays behind the net so far and that one came back to bite them.

on topic, not a good start here..

chicken dance? come on calgary…

37. Puritania says:

Racki: Well that’s exactly it.. “hah! this guy thinks the world is round!!”I’m pretty interested in what he’s got to say actually. And he hits on some pretty wild topics.

exactly, It’s funny how not long ago String Theorists were ridiculed (as was I when I tried to explain it to my knucklehead friends) yet now It is becoming if not already is the most widely accepted theory today.

Giveaway city tonite for the Oil…

39. Puritania says:

Lay the body boys

What a shift for the Oil there. I like Nilsson’s compete level on that shift.

41. DropIt says:

Racki: Paul Brandt = turncoat. You can’t root for both teams, sorry pal!

Calgary born and bred… He knows which team sucks less

Is it me, or is (Mark?) Lee completely anti-Oilers in his commentary?

DropIt:
    Calgary born and bred… He knows which team sucks less

Yes, cause like a lot of Calgary Flames fans, he probably started following the team in 2004 ;)

44. Puritania says:

Mark Lee is a turd and Kevin Weekes is a pretty damn boring color man

45. Puritania says:

Racki: Yes, cause like a lot of Calgary Flamers fans, he probably started following the team in 2004

lmao

whats the cure for not scoring?

playing the oilers

Racki: Is it me, or is (Mark?) Lee completely anti-Oilers in his commentary?

I was just about to comment on this. Also, according to him, Dubnyk is going to try to help the Flames end their losing streak tonight. It was just a slip up but know which team you’re talking about.

48. Puritania says:

atta boy Horc, good heart buddy.

oh man, Horcoff scrap… its a BOA!

50. Puritania says:

I hate watching the oil on the PP, would rather be even strength.