By , January 28, 2010 9:09 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. St. Louis Blues

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. St. Louis Blues

Going to keep this brief, as for one, there’s not much good to talk about these days. The Oilers are on a giant winless streak, and still looking for the first win of the new year. The Blues lost 3-2 to the Canucks last night. They are 6-3-1 in their last 10. For those that have wiped it from the memory banks, the last times the Oilers and Blues faced each other, the Blues won 7-2. So this could be another bad one.

Brain prediction: 5-3 Blues
Heart prediction: 4-1 Blues

Don’t think this will be the first win of the new year for the Oil.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Gagner-Nilsson
Comrie-Potulny-Brule
Moreau-Horcoff-Pisani
Jacques-Pouliot-Cogliano

Souray – Gilbert
Grebeshkov – Visnovsky
Chorney – Strudwick

Deslauriers
Dubnyk

St. Louis Blues Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

McDonald-Tkachuk-Boyes

16.2 PP% 19.2
84.9 PK% 73.9
28.8 S/G 28.7
30.4 SA/G 31.8
49 FO% 47.1

GAME NOTES

– Both Brule and Comrie return to the line-up, and as such the lines have been shuffled.
– One notable absence from the line-up is Patrick O’Sullivan. I’m assume he’s a healthy scratch. He rotated in on the Comrie-Potulny-Brule line.

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST PERIOD SCORING
No scoring.
2ND PERIOD SCORING
EDM – 7:44 Penner from Nilsson, Gagner
Nilsson, from the high boards, finds a streaking Penner… what a gorgeous, seeing eye pass. Penner makes no mistake with that pass, firing it top cheese.
STL – 8:01 – Brewer from McDonald, Boyes
Brewer fires a knuckler from the point on net. Deslauriers is screened big time on this one as it flutters in the top corner.
3RD PERIOD SCORING
STL – 2:09 – Steen from Sydor
Steen shoots it from the faceoff dot to Deslauriers’ left. Grebeshkov goes down to block the shot, but Steen gets it over him and beats Deslauriers on the blocker side.
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd Total
STL STL 9 10 1 20
EDM EDM 4 11 10 25

1ST PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

5:06 – This game has been a snoozer so far. Finally a small twitch of life as the Blues get a solid chance on Deslauriers as Tkachuk wheels around the zone and gets a shot on from far out.
4:34 – Another good chance, this time for the top line for the Blues.

2ND PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

16:52 – Brewer coughs up the puck in the slot to Potulny who blows around him, but runs out of real estate before he can get too quality of a shot on Mason.
15:20 – This last shift by our top line was brutal… the Backes line outworked them and generated a good chance on net.
11:31 – Comrie drops the gloves with Weaver. Comrie has a hand on one sleeve of weaver and his arm pulls out of it, making Comrie lose his balance. Not much happens in this one. Each guy gets maybe one or two glancing blows in.
6:16 – Just a short display, but nice example of Penners superb stickhandling skill as he stickhandles in a phonebooth around Backes.
1:35 – Beauty pass by Potulny to Brule. Brule blows around Brewer and gets in all alone on Mason. He tries to go to the backhand on Mason, but he is poke checked and trips over his stick.
1:22 – The Blues get a 3-on-2 going the other way. Backes gets a soft shot on Deslauriers from the high slot and Deslauriers loses sight and control of the puck. Backes gets to the puck first and backhands it right off the top bar while staring at a wide open net.

3RD PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

19:42 – Tkachuk rings one off the bar after the whistle. Souray takes exception and gives him a warning check into the boards as Tkachuk is slowly skating behind the net. The two exchange brief words.
19:01 – Big hit here by Backes on Gilbert. Gilbert was spinning to evade the hit, and Backes kind of went over and on top of Gilbert.
13:20 – Souray dumps a puck into the Blues zone and chases after it. He drills Polack in the corner.
7:05 – Souray knocks down McDonald at the blueline as he tries to enter the zone.
6:30 – Visnovsky takes a hard hit from Backes along the boards in the Oilers zone.
5:55 – Dustin Penner does a good job with his body on this shift, protecting the puck and playing keep away while generating a chance.
2:44 – Deslauriers should be bungee corded to the net.. he’s worse than Khabibulin outside of it. He stumbles playing the puck behind the net. Actually the replay shows he stepped on his pad strap, but I still would like to see him leave the net less!
1:00 – Nilsson gets the puck at the goal line and makes his way behind the net. Mason bites and is fooled, and turns his head to look for him coming out the other way, but Nilsson passes it back out front to Gagner before going across to the other side. Gagner shoots it but doesn’t get good wood and it flutters into Mason’s chest.

POST-GAME RANT

Pretty slow paced game tonight. I thought the top line was decent. The Potulny, Comrie, Brule line looked pretty dangerous most of their shifts… love that line. The Moreau, Pisani, Horcoff line also looked fairly good to me too. Really though, it was a pretty flat game for the most part and the Oilers didn’t look like a team that was desperate to get their first win of the year. They did look better defensively tonight though, which has been a problem for them all year. Souray and Backes were the most physical players on the night, but beyond them, there didn’t seem to be much physical play.

Next game is Saturday vs. the Flames at 8:00 on CBC in the Flames’ barn. Except there to be quite a bit of dung in that barn.

79 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 1, St. Louis Blues 2 – Jan 28, 2010 @ 7:30 PM – SNET – Game 52”

Brewer looks like a slug tonight.

where the fuck is jfj going there?

skate towards the puck, not away from it

3. Haboiler says:

cmon boys pull one out for the diehard fans!

Steve-O: interesting

Like most stat-based arguments, it’s full of holes. But I do agree (without whipping out stats) that our goaltending solution this year was piss poor, compared to the Islanders. I actually preferred Khabi over Roli, short term. But hard not to want Roli back at this point.

what the fuck is souray doing there?

wow they kept the blues to one shot that period..

7. Haboiler says:

The battle of the Alberta losers on Saturday, I am predicting a rough one in cowtown.

What ever happened to Brewer anyways? Couldn’t afford him? I can’t remember even. Think of how many decent vets we could have racked up by now, Arnott, Billy G, Doug Weight etc. to name a few but they are all pricey and now beyond there prime.

Anyways, greasy twelve losses. How sad is it that I’m kinda happy to see them loose now….

I predicted a loss tonight (both the heart and brain), but I figure the Oil will win that one (vs. Flames).

zackman35: What ever happened to Brewer anyways?

pronger

Steve-O: yeah, but hall/seguin/fowler/whoever the hell we draft were being talked as in if they were the saviors of this team…i don’t agree with that

I like how he mentioned that too it’s kinda funny how he already posted us as getting the top three picks.

I’m not a very big fan of the sportsnet analysts, not a big fan at all. I remember when they went on the win streak (one five on the road) and they talked like Oilers were a cup ontender and then a week or two later we were on a losing streak and they were talking about shipping every player out. Seems like they have no integrity or the producers maybe.

that gagner shot at the end should have been a goal

Steve-O: that gagner shot at the end should have been a goal

He Hilary Duffed it. That would have been a much funnier joke if it was Comrie…

Steve-O:
    pronger

Ah yeah, I remember watching the outside presser when both Pronger and Peca were welcomed to Edmonton or whatever. Or at least I think it was them, I just remember Lowe, Pronger and I’m pretty sure Peca was there too.

Zack: Yep. There was a presser with those guys where it was basically a “welcome to the team” thing.

zackman35:

yup. nice and sunny, everyone was smiling and happy

2005

17. DropIt says:

Steve-O:
    yup.nice and sunny, everyone was smiling and happy…2005

That day seems oh so long ago….

On a side note, fuckin love this commercial:

DropIt: Can hardly wait for the much anticipated worst game of the decade come saturday night!

The Battle of Al-bore-ta.

also, how many teams coming off of back to backs have beaten the oilers…all of them?

i can recall off the top of my head 3 or 4 teams winning here on the second of back to backs

we need to win those

Totally off-topic, but isn’t it well known around the globe that if you’re giving a professional presentation, you don’t dress up like you’re in a rap video? http://wordpress.tv/2009/11/15/scott-kingsley-clark-pods-nyc09/

Just watching a vid on a plug-in for this site. About 1:20 is a good look at G-unerd.

oh man, 4:00 onward is just downright embarrassing.

22. MetalOil says:

Just got home and haven’t seen the Score yet………Good!!!! both the Flames & Oil lose tonight just as I had hoped.(as a bonus Carolina won as well!!!) At this this point I all can cheer for is the sub plots and on Saterday two teams that are on a combined 21 game losing streak go at it in perhaps what will be the biggest battle of the small fish that has ever taken place between to Albertan teams in Hockey history. I myself can’t think of a better way to end this Nightmarish skid that we are on then by beating our biggest rivals on national TV. If we beat the Flames then I pretty much will write off any chance of them making the post season this year.!!!!

So – how was the rest of the game? Cuz I just woke up. Was hoping they’d pull this one out but would be nice to see them break out of their slump Sat. Anyway…woke up just in time to go to bed so I’m off.

24. MetalOil says:

Last year I began making videos for the Oilers and made this one……….
    This season killed my motivation to continue but with such a historic battle of Alberta on the menu I though I would pump this vid for some encouragement to look back on. The 1991 playoff round, game 7 between the Oil and Flames…….

LateNightOilFan: So – how was the rest of the game?Cuz I just woke up.Was hoping they’d pull this one out but would be nice to see them break out of their slump Sat.Anyway…woke up just in time to go to bed so I’m off.

Bit of a snoozer to be honest. So I wouldn’t be surprised if you fell asleep because of the game. :P But the Oil did play better in the 3rd. They actually limited the Blues to one shot that period too. Gagner had one really good chance with 1 min left. You can read up in the “3rd period highlights” above what happened, if interested.

MetalOil: Last year I began making videos for the Oilers and made this one……….
    This season killed my motivation to continue but with such a historic battle of Alberta on the menu I though I would pump this vid for some encouragement to look back on. The 1991 playoff round, game 7between the Oil and Flamers…….

Ahh, good times. We need to get out of this bizarro world, where the Flames are better than us ;)

27. mrgod2u says:

Just a thought, in case our goalie coach reads this. When There is a guy down to block the low shot, you can focus on the top part of the net.

I am fairly sure the scouting report on Deslauriers is roof it every time… He lets in so many by his shoulders.