By , January 28, 2010 9:09 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. St. Louis Blues

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. St. Louis Blues

Going to keep this brief, as for one, there’s not much good to talk about these days. The Oilers are on a giant winless streak, and still looking for the first win of the new year. The Blues lost 3-2 to the Canucks last night. They are 6-3-1 in their last 10. For those that have wiped it from the memory banks, the last times the Oilers and Blues faced each other, the Blues won 7-2. So this could be another bad one.

Brain prediction: 5-3 Blues
Heart prediction: 4-1 Blues

Don’t think this will be the first win of the new year for the Oil.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Gagner-Nilsson
Comrie-Potulny-Brule
Moreau-Horcoff-Pisani
Jacques-Pouliot-Cogliano

Souray – Gilbert
Grebeshkov – Visnovsky
Chorney – Strudwick

Deslauriers
Dubnyk

St. Louis Blues Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

McDonald-Tkachuk-Boyes

16.2 PP% 19.2
84.9 PK% 73.9
28.8 S/G 28.7
30.4 SA/G 31.8
49 FO% 47.1

GAME NOTES

– Both Brule and Comrie return to the line-up, and as such the lines have been shuffled.
– One notable absence from the line-up is Patrick O’Sullivan. I’m assume he’s a healthy scratch. He rotated in on the Comrie-Potulny-Brule line.

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST PERIOD SCORING
No scoring.
2ND PERIOD SCORING
EDM – 7:44 Penner from Nilsson, Gagner
Nilsson, from the high boards, finds a streaking Penner… what a gorgeous, seeing eye pass. Penner makes no mistake with that pass, firing it top cheese.
STL – 8:01 – Brewer from McDonald, Boyes
Brewer fires a knuckler from the point on net. Deslauriers is screened big time on this one as it flutters in the top corner.
3RD PERIOD SCORING
STL – 2:09 – Steen from Sydor
Steen shoots it from the faceoff dot to Deslauriers’ left. Grebeshkov goes down to block the shot, but Steen gets it over him and beats Deslauriers on the blocker side.
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd Total
STL STL 9 10 1 20
EDM EDM 4 11 10 25

1ST PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

5:06 – This game has been a snoozer so far. Finally a small twitch of life as the Blues get a solid chance on Deslauriers as Tkachuk wheels around the zone and gets a shot on from far out.
4:34 – Another good chance, this time for the top line for the Blues.

2ND PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

16:52 – Brewer coughs up the puck in the slot to Potulny who blows around him, but runs out of real estate before he can get too quality of a shot on Mason.
15:20 – This last shift by our top line was brutal… the Backes line outworked them and generated a good chance on net.
11:31 – Comrie drops the gloves with Weaver. Comrie has a hand on one sleeve of weaver and his arm pulls out of it, making Comrie lose his balance. Not much happens in this one. Each guy gets maybe one or two glancing blows in.
6:16 – Just a short display, but nice example of Penners superb stickhandling skill as he stickhandles in a phonebooth around Backes.
1:35 – Beauty pass by Potulny to Brule. Brule blows around Brewer and gets in all alone on Mason. He tries to go to the backhand on Mason, but he is poke checked and trips over his stick.
1:22 – The Blues get a 3-on-2 going the other way. Backes gets a soft shot on Deslauriers from the high slot and Deslauriers loses sight and control of the puck. Backes gets to the puck first and backhands it right off the top bar while staring at a wide open net.

3RD PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

19:42 – Tkachuk rings one off the bar after the whistle. Souray takes exception and gives him a warning check into the boards as Tkachuk is slowly skating behind the net. The two exchange brief words.
19:01 – Big hit here by Backes on Gilbert. Gilbert was spinning to evade the hit, and Backes kind of went over and on top of Gilbert.
13:20 – Souray dumps a puck into the Blues zone and chases after it. He drills Polack in the corner.
7:05 – Souray knocks down McDonald at the blueline as he tries to enter the zone.
6:30 – Visnovsky takes a hard hit from Backes along the boards in the Oilers zone.
5:55 – Dustin Penner does a good job with his body on this shift, protecting the puck and playing keep away while generating a chance.
2:44 – Deslauriers should be bungee corded to the net.. he’s worse than Khabibulin outside of it. He stumbles playing the puck behind the net. Actually the replay shows he stepped on his pad strap, but I still would like to see him leave the net less!
1:00 – Nilsson gets the puck at the goal line and makes his way behind the net. Mason bites and is fooled, and turns his head to look for him coming out the other way, but Nilsson passes it back out front to Gagner before going across to the other side. Gagner shoots it but doesn’t get good wood and it flutters into Mason’s chest.

POST-GAME RANT

Pretty slow paced game tonight. I thought the top line was decent. The Potulny, Comrie, Brule line looked pretty dangerous most of their shifts… love that line. The Moreau, Pisani, Horcoff line also looked fairly good to me too. Really though, it was a pretty flat game for the most part and the Oilers didn’t look like a team that was desperate to get their first win of the year. They did look better defensively tonight though, which has been a problem for them all year. Souray and Backes were the most physical players on the night, but beyond them, there didn’t seem to be much physical play.

Next game is Saturday vs. the Flames at 8:00 on CBC in the Flames’ barn. Except there to be quite a bit of dung in that barn.

79 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 1, St. Louis Blues 2 – Jan 28, 2010 @ 7:30 PM – SNET – Game 52”

1. Horpensky says:

Horpensky: If you’re old enough to remember sesame street and young enough to grow up with it…http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZshZp-cxKg

that’s funny, I just posted that to my facebook wall like last week.

Oilers win.

Please, lets not be the first Oiler team to end up last in the league.

And finally, an awesome post on Hemsky. Although I wouldn’t trade him for anything. Sign him to Horcoff money if you ask me.

4. MetalOil says:

Since this season is a write off I hope we lose today just so we can end this skid by beating the Flames on Hockey Day in Canada while at the same time extending the Flames Misery :)

And just in on twitter, Stortini and O’Sullivan were bag skated after practice and won’t play tonight. JDD with the start.

I say that the Oil break the streak tonight. 4-2 Oilers, but then again, the Blues are surging somewhat.

The tone will be set by the apathy ermmmm leadership group. If they play like they can win, the team will, if they play complacent like they have, well, it won’t be pretty.

Having our highest scoring forward bag skated and sitting out likely won’t help, but who knows? Good to see Brule back in.

I still want more separation between us and Carolina. They won last night, this is a huge chance to move down in the standings. *sigh*

7. neufab says:

Steve-O: Oilers win. Please, lets not be the first Oiler team to end up last in the league.

I’m agree. After all, the second pick kills the Seagan (sp?) vs. Hall dilemma… if the lottery plays out the same way as the standings.

I want to see vengeance for the 7-2 game. Brule gets 2, Souray with a goal, Cogliano with a goal, Gagner with a goal, and Gilbert with a goal. JDD plays a solid game, and the Oilers win 6-1.

If that actually happens, I will run around my neighborhood wearing boots and my Oilers hat. (I may need bail money)

Steve-O: Oilers win.I have been quiet the last bit here, but thats because I was sick as shit, but now that I’m back I get to start whining about my usual crap.Please, lets not be the first Oiler team to end up last in the league.Also, on the radio today they mention how Penner needs to get back to what he was like in the early season (paper mentioned the same thing)…but am I the only one that noticed that his production dropped with the loss of Hemsky?And finally, an awesome post on Hemsky.Although I wouldn’t trade him for anything.Sign him to Horcoff money if you ask me.

Really I’ve said it before, but no fucking guy on this team should have been paid more than Hemsky (unless acquired in a trade).

Anyways, Penner’s production was very good with Gagner and Brule if I recall as well. It tailed off when they added the magic man back in there. I told you he was going to disappear again! *poof!*

Steve-O: And just in on twitter, Stortini and O’Sullivan were bag skated after practice and won’t play tonight.JDD with the start.

Oh so Pouliot still in, Stortini out.

Btw, I think having both Comrie and Brule in the lineup will make a big difference. I’m all for “the Fall”, but I think those two guys can change the tone of a game in a way.

Racki:
    Oh so Pouliot still in, Stortini out.

Poo was the best player against the hawks

I hope Brule is back on the top line soon. He’s a better fit with Gagner and Penner.

Steve-O:
    Poo was the best player against the hawks

That’s not saying much.

But I will say he didn’t look bad at all. There were some pretty standout players that game though, for the wrong reason.

14. Mr.Majestyk says:

Horpensky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZshZp-cxKg

Sesame Street had some sweet songs. These are my favs:

I think the Oilers will end the slump tonight. We got pounded by the Blues last time, but for the most part we’ve had decent success against them.

Slow so far..

hey all, just turned the game on

miss any fights or anything?

See my comment above you

Hello?

Much like the actual game, it’s a graveyard here.

There you are. HAHA!! Man. Sad times indeed.

Yawn.

I’m here.

Just couldn’t think of anything to say. Kind of a snoozer period of hockey.

I love this A&W commercial…

Yah I like that commercial too.. “TWO FOR ONE MOMMA BURRGERRR!” . Although its starting to get old.

And Yah, I had a VERY tough time coming up with stuff to say for my 1st period highlights. There really weren’t any at all.

Finally I agree with whatshisformercolumbuscoachface…. The Oilers have a good “core” group of young guys, and just need to surround them with better checkers.

For some reason, Lowe lost site of things and made his grinders the core of the team. They’re a dime-a-dozen now. With any luck, we’ll ship some out and replace them with cheaper options, and eventually this team will finally come together.

Yeah, if we can trade and get another top 10 pick this year, preferably top 5 from Boston, this re-build happens faster.

Then we could get Neato Mosquitobitter.

Steve-O: yeah, but hall/seguin/fowler/whoever the hell we draft were being talked as in if they were the saviors of this team…i don’t agree with that

Yah they weren’t listed in the 7 though, and I wasn’t agreeing with that part. What bothered me though was that he talked as though Hall/Seguin were definitely going to be on this team.

And well, frankly, whether they are or not, I don’t think of them as saviors either.. But they sure couldn’t hurt.

brewer is captain?!

hmmm, mason must have his beard back

Good chance by Potsy on that last shift… the only line to show a sign of life so far.

I’ll have to add one of those Sabres jerseys to my soon-to-be collection of vintage jerseys.

oh wow, nice goal!

and the oiler fans are going crazy!

Nice goal Pens!

Hmmm…could this be the one?

Oh for shit’s sake

well that didn’t take long.

shit, i missed how that faceoff was even in our zone

fucking drop passes

Umm, what’s with Comrie’s hair?

LateNightOilFan: Umm, what’s with Comrie’s hair?

maybe duff wanted to cut somebodies hair

LateNightOilFan: Umm, what’s with Comrie’s hair?

Looks like the time a buddy of mine passed out drunk and I buzzed some racing stripes in his hair. Same exact look, actually. Except Comrie still has both eyebrows.

My son had that done when he was about 9. Had the racing stripes in the hair and the temporary tats going too, man was he cool, just like Comrie.

Hey Steve-O, if you’re still around… that Scotiabank commercial with the guy that keeps avoiding looking at the piece of paper (investments or whatever)…. he looks like “The Real Deal” 10 years from now (pay attention to it next time they show it). hah

LateNightOilFan: My son had that done when he was about 9.Had the racing stripes in the hair and the temporary tats going too, man was he cool, just like Comrie.

LOL, I remember that being the in thing about 10 or 15 years ago… I didn’t think I could see an adult doing it. Although I think Souray has some stripes in his hair too.

Racki: Hey Steve-O, if you’re still around… that Scotiabank commercial with the guy that keeps avoiding looking at the piece of paper (investments or whatever)…. he looks like “The Real Deal” 10 years from now. hah

ah shit, i missed it

i’m going to have to wait for the next one

Was pretty small, but I like how Souray gave Tkachuk a bit of a hit as Tkachuk was skating behind the net, well after the whistle for the late shot.

49. Haboiler says: