By , January 26, 2010 11:54 am

One fell swoop.

Well the boys played hard against Dallas last game, but the end result was another deflating defeat after a late game winner by Neal.  They’ve had a few days off since then and the skills competition over the weekend, so hopefully they are in good spirits and come out with energy.  The Hawks are a team you don’t want to come out flat against.

The Hawks are 6-3-1 in their last 10 and most recently lost to the Canucks on Saturday 5-1.  They’ve had a few days rest and time to think about the loss, so expect them to come out firing and try to break the Oilers spirit early on.

Stats:

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Moreau Horcoff Pisani
Penner Gagner Cogliano
O’Sullivan Potulny Nilsson
Jacques Pouliot Stortini

Souray – Gilbert
Grebeshkov – Visnovsky
Chorney – Strudwick

Deslauriers
Dubnyk

Chicago Blackhawks Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Bickell–Toews–Kane

21 PP% 19.2
85.6 PK% 74.1
33.4 S/G 28.8
24 SA/G 31.7
52.8 FO% 47

GAME NOTES

- Line ups are best guess at the moment.
- With Chorney active, Smid and Staios are likely still out.
- Gagner is unkown as well after a knee injury in Dallas.
- Brule unlikely to return tonight as well.

1ST PERIOD SCORING
CHI – 0:44 – Toews from Kane
Toews shoots from a very saveable angle, but it eludes Deslauriers somehow.
2ND PERIOD SCORING
CHI- 5:50 – Brouwer from Kane, Keith
Kane wheels around the perimeter and down behind the goal line. He backhands it out front to Brouwer who pounds it home.
CHI – 10:13 – Byfuglien from Keith, Versteeg
Keith’s blast from the point is tipped by Byfuglien past Deslauriers.
CHI – 13:53 – Hossa from Sharp, Keith
Deslauriers is off to the side of the net after trying to poke away a rebound. He kicks it out to the other side where a wide open Hossa awaits. Licking his chops, he steps into it and drills it in the back of the net. Poor coverage by the Oilers.
EDM – 19:20 – Pisani from Moreau, Horcoff
Great hard work by the Moreau, Horcoff, Pisani line. Pisani tips it out front to Moreau who’s in the slot.. he pushes it through the goaltender’s legs. Pisani dives into the crease area and helps it into the net.
3RD PERIOD SCORING
EDM – 5:44 – Potulny from O’Sullivan
Hjalmarsson coughs it up. Potulny picks up the puck and puts it in off the arm of Huet.
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd Total
CHI CHI 11 17 9 37
EDM EDM 6 7 11 24

1ST PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

19:16 – The Blackhawks score on their first shot of the game.
8:17 – Ladd pokes at Deslauriers glove after a whistle drawing anger from Souray. He gives him a couple of big shoves before Stortini jumps in on the action. Nothing eventful happens though.
7:58 – Deslauriers tries to play a puck behind the net and in Deslauriers fashion makes it look incredibly difficult.
5:22 – Pouliot gets a good shot off here through the legs of a defender. The Oilers try to pounce on a rebound, and a small scrum ensues in front of the net after the whistle.

2ND PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

18:49 – Great set of saves by Deslauriers on point blank chances by the Hawks.
10:15 – Oil buy a break as Madden gets sticked in the face while about to shoot on an empty net.
5:25 – Good tape to tape pass by Deslauriers to Versteeg here behind the net, but Versteeg wiped out in the corner. Man, he does not look good handling the puck tonight.
4:12 – Souray stands up Kopecky as he’s breaking into the zone and shooting.

3RD PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

12:09 – 2 seconds into the Oilers first PP of the game, O’Sullivan clotheslines Hendry with his stick. End of powerplay.
11:42 – Commentators note that Strudwick went to the dressing room earlier and hasn’t returned – hurt on a blocked shot.
9:42 – Hilarious replay. The TSN crew slow down the replay of Gagner in the Hawks zone with a smirk on his face as Kane skates by. He says “wanna go?” and gives him a shove, smiling.
4:02 – The top line gets a good chance.. Penner drops it to Cogliano who shoots it from far out and it goes out of play.
0:07 – Unbelievable save by Huet, as he dives across Roli style to prevent Penner from burying it into an empty net.

POST-GAME RANT

Hard one to watch. I had figured the Oil would lose (actually predicted a 4-2 loss in the comments, despite betting on the Oil). But really they were just completely flat for probably 45 minutes of the game. Really, the Hawks are just a much better team and it showed… again. Same old same old versus the Hawks, but we’ve seen worse losses to them.

Next game: Thursday vs. St. Louis at home, 7:30 on Sportsnet.

109 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 2, Chicago Blackhawks 4 – Jan 26, 2010 @ 7:30 PM – TSN – Game 51”

JDD gets the start and Brule is unlikely as per Oilers Twitter.

I may take a break from studying structural anatomy and watch the oilers get likely thrashed. Could be one of the biggest upsets of the season though, you never know.

2. Trogdor says:

Thanks for the update Zack. We tend to rely on TSN’s ice chips while at work as there is no twitter access. They post lines eventually, but have to give the Leafs the attention they are due…

This will not be pretty. Coming off a 5-1 loss to Van, the Hawks will be out for blood. I’m saying it will be a six or seven goal night for the Hawks. I’m sure they have this game circled as the “Pad the Stats Night”.

4. Trogdor says:

Yeah, if the Hawks score early it could be an absolute mess. Oilers will have to come out strong in order stand a chance tonight. Sometimes it’s games like these that can turn your fortunes around. Hawks come in thinking it’s going to be a breeze then find themselves in a dog fight!

Fingers crossed…

Yah, I’m actually going to go slightly against the grain and say 4-2 Hawks. The Oilers play well enough to weather 2 periods of the storm, but the Hawks take it to them in the 3rd.

6. MetalOil says:

I think the Hawks are do for a slump and that the Oil a very due for a win so call me crazy but I’m going 5-4 Oil.

7. Trogdor says:

I’m considering throwing a few bucks down on the Oil in sport select tonight, then a couple of more predictable games. It could pay off on the odds.

I’ll take that bet, trogdor.

9. MetalOil says:

I always refrain from betting on my fav teams in sports. They always lose when I do. I guess in the Oilers case it really wouldn’t matter right now anyways.

10. Trogdor says:

Racki:

I’ll take that bet, trogdor.

Same odds?

Well, Trogdor and I just threw down a sports select bet on the Oil to win. So cheering for them extra hard tonight to win. :P

Just throwing this out ther,e take it with a grain of salt but……..Eklund Twatwaffle says that the Caps are driving hard for Souray, The Devils like Staios(This one seems logical) and the Islanders and Send like Horcoff(WTF???)

13. MetalOil says:

Hey Boston not to be rude or anything but ya should really stop visiting that site. I mean this is the same guy that claims he turned down a date with Shania Twain. That site ain’t even worth the micro second it takes to click it.

Agreed with M.O.. Everyone always prefaces it with “yah I know it’s Eklund Twatwaffle, but”… well if you knew it’s Eklund Twatwaffle, why are you continually giving this guy ad money?

15. Mr.Majestyk says:

Yeah, lets tone down the Eklund Twatwaffle discussions, especially when we start bringing up Shania Twain…I’m getting kind of hungry now.

I think Eklund Twatwaffles an idiot as much as the next guy, but really, is he?

I f I could make $ of a website for making shit up like that, I would, and I go there often…I get bored, and if nothing else it’s good fodder that I usually find amusing, and sometimes his “rumors” even if I know they’re full of shit still can be good food for thought.

To me, when I read his stuff, I just read it more from the perspective of reading the armchair GM area at the OMB, and when I read that board, I certainly don’t ever expect any of that shit to happen, but I still like seeing what they have to say, even if it is more often than not retarded and ridiculous.

17. MetalOil says:

Oh JDD. You gotta do better then that.

Wow – just logged in and wanted to start off my posting by saying I hope the Oil make out better than the Isles tonight – didn’t even get the words typed out and the Hawks scored – not a good start.

Yah that was a very saveable shot.

Ahh yes, love that site ;) (Except he links a lot to Hockeybuzz.. durrr)

22. MetalOil says:

They way he has been going JDD is playing his way out of a job for next season. I see the SEL or KHL on his horizon.

It’s pretty good anytime somebody tries to say Eklund Twatwaffle has a good rumour.

24. Trogdor says:

I was a bit worried after seeing the first shot go in, but they’ve settled down a bit since then.

25. Trogdor says:

Racki: I have a feeling that Trogdor and I won’t be collecting on our Sport Select bets. :lol:

Brodeur already screwed us!

We need some cheerleaders. Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6lyued1qHw

Now I’ll be choked if the Oil win.. lol

28. Trogdor says:

The last thing we need is Souray getting hurt in a scrap with the current trade talk going on. Good job on Storts getting in there.

“Dude your hair!” *jumps in on the fight as Souray fixes the ‘do*

Steve-O must be kissing the toilet still..

31. Trogdor says:

Trogdor: Anyone hear anything about Theodore? See that he left the game for Neuvirth, but stats don’t look like they warranted a yank.

He wasn’t on the bench in the 3rd so they were speculating either illness or injury/precautionary seeing as the game was well in hand for the Caps by the end of the 2nd.

Traded to the Oilers!!! *just kidding*

34. Trogdor says:

Thanks for the update LNOF.

35. MetalOil says:

LOL at all that praise from TSN for 1 minute of good work. They must have wanted to get it out of their system.

36. Trogdor says:

Just watched a little clip on TSN from Dreger about the top 10 players to go by the deadline and they grouped Vis in with Souray and Moreau. Sorry Racki…

I’m surprised Tambellini was so open when asked if he was shopping Souray. He tends to be a guy that keeps his cards held closely to his chest.

Trogdor: Just watched a little clip on TSN from Dreger about the top 10 players to go by the deadline and they grouped Vis in with Souray and Moreau.Sorry Racki…

They can group Visnovsky in there all they want. I beg to differ. I think Moreau/Souray will be gone.. but if Visnovsky goes, I’d be surprised. Well, actually, this is the Oilers… expect the unexpected I guess.

39. Trogdor says:

In laws coming over for a while so I may drop off for a bit. Go Oilers!

Even though I’ve lost my bet already.

The Wolfman? Come on Hollywood… the well of ideas can’t be THAT dry.

42. MetalOil says:

I still blame all this on pronger.

Srry I don’t know where that came from??? Just venting :)

43. MetalOil says:

Racki: Steady pace to the game, but is it just me, or has this been pretty boring so far? Not just speaking as an Oiler fan here…

Yeah Very boring so far.

LOL… in all seriousness, it is that bastards fault. :lol:

ah-boooooooooooo

McGuire being a bit over-dramatic there methinks.

LNOF: yah no kidding: “eating them up and spitting it out! going harlem globetrotters on them!”. Yah we get it, you love the Hawks, and you think the Oil belong in 30th.

48. MetalOil says: