By , January 22, 2010 10:44 am

Hind Banana

I’m going to see Dave Attell (spelling? I have no idea who this guy is but I hear he’s funny) tonight so I’ll probably miss this game.  Darn.  Racki said he’s still going to watch the game, so it would be nice if you all swung on by during the game to say hi to him.  It might be lonely here.

The Oilers have played better as of late, and are due a win so I bet it comes tonight when I can’t see it.

Ideally the player get their pride back and start to play as they can, and we can string together a few wins here.

Steve-O stats:

Oilers = not good (right now…soon though, soon)

Dallas = less sucky

Racki-stats:

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Moreau Horcoff Pisani
Penner Gagner Cogliano
O’Sullivan Potulny Nilsson
Jacques Pouliot Stortini

Souray – Gilbert
Chorney – Visnovsky
Grebeshkov – Strudwick

Dubnyk / Deslauriers

Dallas Stars Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Neal-Richards-Eriksson

18.8 PP% 19.1
76.4 PK% 74.1
31.6 S/G 28.6
30 SA/G 31.7
47.4 FO% 47

GAME NOTES

- Not sure about the line-up yet, so not sure who is starting.
- Smid should be out, since he got rocked by Raymond on Wednesday.
- I’m going to presume that Staios’ bell is still ringing
- Comrie is hoping to play Tuesday and wants to play in the Skills Comp to challenge Pouliot for the accuracy competition, according to Jason Gregor.

1ST PERIOD SCORING
DAL – 6:00 – Daley from Ott
Gilbert coughs the puck up to the blue line as a hit is coming. Daley takes the pass and wires it past Dubnyk. Quinn can’t like that one.
DAL – 12:33 – Modano (PPG) from Robidas, Richards
Strudwick inadvertently tips a Modano slapshot up under the bar.
EDM – 13:12 – Potulny (PPG) from Nilsson, Penner
Penner brings it in the zone and dishes it to Nilsson who comes streaking in. He dangles and shoots it on net, but it hits Potulny. Potulny picks it up and just bangs away at it. Turco makes the save, but Potulny picks it up, goes around him and throws it in. Very, very nice effort by Potulny.
2ND PERIOD SCORING
DAL – 11:24 – Benn from Ott, Sutherby
Benn and Ott get a 2-on-1 on Strudwick with Chorney catching up and Ott carrying it in. Strudwick mistakingly thinks Chorney can keep up to Benn. He covers Ott only, and Ott passes it to Benn who makes a nice shot to beat Dubnyk.
EDM – 19:41 – Gagner from Gilbert, Penner
Penner beats two Stars along the boards. He carries the puck out, drops it for Gilbert who throws it cross seam to Gagner. Gagner blasts it home. Beauty goal.
3RD PERIOD SCORING
EDM – 18:58 – Gagner from Nilsson, Potulny
With the goalie pulled and the Oilers applying big pressure, and the Oilers banging away in front of the net, Modano accidentally kicks it into the net.
DAL – 19:37 – Neal from Eriksson
Eriksson throws it out front. Strudwick intercepts it briefly but falls down and throws it back to Neal who has a pretty empty net and puts it away.
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd Total
DAL DAL 18 5 9 32
EDM EDM 11 14 13 38

1ST PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

19:30 – Jacques nails Sutherby into the turnbuckle by the bench, and then Pouliot hits him from behind right after. A small scrum occurs as these guys think the whistle is blown, but then they realize the play is still going.
17:37 – Strudwick and Barch go at it… Strudwick “starts the lawn mower” throwing rapid fire punches. After the fight, you can see a mouse under Strudwick’s eye though.. looks like Barch got him with a good one.
13:16 – The Oilers take two penalties on a shift (Horcoff and Pisani) and are down 5-on-3.
11:47 – The best chance of the 5-on-3 by the Stars. Somehow the puck stays out from the Oil collapsing in front of the net. Wow, what a series. Great kill!
11:27 – Strudwick nails Ott from behind. He goes down and stays down for a bit then skates off slowly. Knowing Ott, he was trying to sell it. Refs ain’t buyin though.
10:31 – Gagner takes a hit from Sawada. Gagner then clotheslines/slams him to the ground right after. He takes a 2 min holding penalty for it.
8:37 – O’Sullivan takes a slashing call, the 4th straight Oilers penalty. Very brief 5-on-3 here. You know Quinn is about to snap.
4:30 – Excellent chance by the Oil here for Penner, Gagner and Cogliano. They maybe get a bit too cute with the passes, but Gagner gets a shot on net that Turco has a bit of trouble with.
3:30 – Good shift by the 4th liners again, with Pouliot and Stortini each throwing a nice hit.
2:53 – Nice play by Horcoff, intercepting a Dallas breakout pass. He gets it to Moreau who one times it over the net.

2ND PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

15:31 – Nice play by Gagner here, stripping Robidas of the puck in the corner. He then drives to the net, but is hooked the whole way by Robidas. Robidas earns a penalty on the play.
14:40 – Ott chops Potulny’s stick in half, and it will be an Oiler 5-on-3 for just over a minute. The Stars successfully kill both penalties.
11:00 – Fistric throws a nice hit on Stortini as he’s breaking into the zone.
0:47 – What a gloorrrrious chance by the Oilers. Turco survives a wave of attack, including Visnovsky hitting the post on a wide open net with Turco down and out.

3RD PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

19:35 – Hard not to laugh as the official eats it trying to go behind the net.. he falls over the back of the net and pulls it off its morings.
8:50 – Moreau sticks Richards under the visor and into his eye on the follow through from his shot. A bit of irony here. Richards seems to be OK though thankfully.
7:20 – Blown call by the ref here as Potulny is dumped behind the net with the ref watching. He takes a stick in the face by Skrastins.
5:50 – Great shift here by the Moreau / Horcoff / Pisani line as they generate a couple of chances and get the Stars running around in their own zone.
1:55 – Oilers applying lots of pressure here. Visnovsky blasts one from the point that doesn’t get to the net.
1:12 – Oilers pull Dubnyk.
0:35 – Eriksson gets a point blank chance on a pass from Neal from the corner, but Dubnyk makes a BEAUTIFUL save.
0:10 – Turco ROBS Penner having to go east/west pretty quick on a close range shot off a rebound.

POST-GAME RANT

What can I say? The game can be summed up by this: Sportsnet actually had the foresight to create an animated “Heartbreaker” video. It’s like we can pretty expect a heartbreaking loss now. And that’s really what happened here. The Oilers battled hard the whole damn way.

They got off to a bad start though, earning 4 straight penalties. Three powerplays for Dallas, with one being a 5-on-3… not a good start. The Oilers did manage to kill off the 5-on-3, but they couldn’t kill them all off.

Well, as far as the good, I don’t know if anyone really had a bad game, overall. However, Grebeshkov and Strudwick (moreso Strudwick) really crapped one out at the end of the game right after a wake up call in which Gilbert was caught not covering the front of the net properly (bailed out by Dubnyk). Players that had a good game: Dubnyk, who made some incredible saves and kept the team in it, the top line which looked very good together, Moreau/Horcoff/Pisani also looked very good together. Jacques, Stortini and Pouliot played a very physical game (yes, even Pouliot… I was impressed). These guys even generated some good chances.

Really, this was the kind of game that makes you feel good about this team. They’re getting better performances out of everybody. There are still some glaring holes on this team, but that is now (in my eyes anyways) a management issue for not filling those holes. These guys are giving 100% each night. Tough to see them lose another one. But they’ll break the streak (stands at 10 straight losses, currently) soon.

Unfortunately, I don’t think it will be the next game which is Tuesday vs. Chicago. It’s a 7:30 start and is televised on TSN.

93 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers vs. Dallas Stars – Jan 22, 2010 @ 7:00 PM – SNET – Game 50”

:lol:

Let’s hope so! “Come on, please get me the next great one for my b’day!”

I just had a brain freeze – I looked up and saw Charlie Huddy and thought what the hell is he doing behind the DAL bench?

oh. yeah. right.

3. MetalOil says:

MetalOil: If we have pick #1 I might consider asking for a plane ticket to LA for my B-Day and go to the draft in person. It would be pretty cool to spend it in LA especially to see the Oil pick 1st for the first time.

That sounds like a perfect b-day gift!

5. MetalOil says:

Yeah I would expect a large contingent of Oiler fans to be making that trip.

6. MetalOil says:

Ya Boy!!!

What a beauty goal!

wooo! Gags! Nice late in the period too.

I’m on a delay here – I saw MO’s post before the puck went in the net.

And how did Vis miss on that chance? Not that it matters now though since they still scored later on.

Great finish to the period. They’re still in it.

LateNightOilFan: wooo!Gags!Nice late in the period too.I’m on a delay here – I saw MO’s post before the puck went in the net.And how did Vis miss on that chance?Not that it matters now though since they still scored later on.

Apparently it hit the post. (according to Kevin Quinn)

Nice job to the ref to eating shit on the net. lol

12. MetalOil says:

When I played Hockey as a kid I remember seeing a ref skating right into the net and breaking his nose on the crossbar. He was looking behind him and turned his head to see nothing but a red bar.

Ouch… that would have to friggen hurt.

14. MetalOil says:

Yeah he was bleeding tons and they had to cancel the remainder of the game because of the amount of blood on the ice.

oh man.. missed call there.

16. MetalOil says:

that would have made a great pearl vision commercial. How the eff did the ref miss that???

wtf was Ott doing there? Looked like a monkey jumping from side to side.

I just tuned in, looks like we’re playing great.

gr8one: they have actually played very good, excluding the first half of the first period where the ref ran the show a bit (and the Oil took a few bad penalties).

20. MetalOil says:

gr8one: I just tuned in, looks like we’re playing great.

Yep !!! We’re only down by 1 :)

Racki: oh man.. missed call there.

Looks like Richard’s is ok – scary, you could tell he was panicked. Moreau probably had a flashback.

But a question – it looked more to me like he skated right into Moreau’s stick though – as in the stick was already up as part of the shot followthrough before Richard’s got there. So I’m really not sure it would be a penalty.

2 minutes, crunch time!

yeah muthafucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woooooo!! Gagner again!!

nice, a bounce that goes our way!!!

Woah, clutch save by Dubie.

n1 doobie!

28. MetalOil says:

Ok at the beginning of next season we should put Gags into a induced coma then wake him up and tell him it is January.

29. MetalOil says:

oh darn :(

bah…horrble d zone coverage.

ffs…I give up on any hope for this team this year. that hurts.

just fucking clean house and draft Hall.

oh man… dff still alive I guess..

Wow, they definitely made it exciting at the end.

lol…nice time for me to tune in, I got a games worth of excitement in like 4 minutes.

OMG – and there it is.

Crap, they came right back and Turco stones them?

What a roller coaster 30 seconds…

Jeez I feel bad for them.

36. MetalOil says:

I’m all for getting the first pick but I don’t want to see double digit losing streaks along the way. I hoping for a win until we end this skid.

Racki: I feel bad for them.. I feel guilty because I’m not upset about the outcome (you all know why). But the Oilers played a great game and should be proud. They just can’t buy any breaks though. I actually was pulling for the win there.

yeah, me too…honestly, when I saw Modano kick in the tying goal, my guilty thought was “oh shit, if we start getting good bounces now, forget a top 3 pick” and then, well…the infamous last minute non-existant d-zone coverage rears it’s ugly head.

I really really feel bad for the guys in that locker room tonight, this one really must sting…I mean what does Quinn even tell them now?

oh yeah…and poor Doobie, what’s the kid gotta do to get a win? he played great from what I saw and have read, and was hung out to dry on that last goal.

39. MetalOil says:

Can we send the whole team down to Springfield on a conditioning stint and to gain a lil confidence?

I hate to point fingers, but Gilbert had two pretty glaring errors tonight. Only one cost a goal, the other was a wake-up call with 35 seconds left. Strudwick also assisted on the game winner, passing it right to Neal as he was falling on his ass. Tough break because aside from getting into penalty trouble early, it was a pretty well played game by the Oil.

Seems like the play is getting better, but alas another loss tonight. Hurricanes are only one point behind the Oil. If Carolina wins this weekend against Philly or Boston or takes both games to OT the Oilers will end up last.

I was in attendance tonight at the game and when Gags tied it up late in the third the place went pretty nuts, then once it settled down I shouted “Here we come Stanley!” and then a few seconds later Dallas scores…. I also saw a scrum after the game just outside the main doors. Two guys were arguing about something that happened or was said in the washroom (one was pretty drunk) and then the tall guy, who looked like a suit (insert business stereotype) was arguing back. The drunk guy jersey’d him and fed him a few and it was pretty demoralizing.

About the game though, there were a lot of honeys out there, I don’t know what it is about a good lookin’ girl/lady in a jersey but just watch out…. Two bombshells sporting the Hanson brother jerseys and they had the glasses to boot (Should have got a picture for the site, darn it sorry guys). You may be able to catch them though if they were season ticket holders, I was in section 223, as stalker’ish as that sounds.

On more of a hockey note, Doobie looked pretty strong from what I saw, he may have not got the win but he’s starting to shape up into an NHL goaltender slowly but surely. Chorney made a few bad decisions, one of which lead to a goal and it sucked cause I saw it coming the whole way. The Oilers sure didn’t start with a spark though, you could tell they’re demoralized and Gagner was pretty darn frustrated by the end of the night – he smashed his stick and broke it (not sure if it was on tv or not). Good effort but attending the game, for the first bit anyway, you could tell it was a last place team playing, the confidence of the poor guys out there was shot to hell.

The drive home was pretty brutal (back to Red Deer), there was a lot of blowing snow and probably more than 3/4′s the way back it felt like I was driving warp-speed the way the snow was hitting the windshield.

All in all a pretty good experience given their record, it was a pretty good Christmas present.