By , January 20, 2010 1:12 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks

I can cut and past the previous GDT nearly word for word, just have to change the loss count… The slide continues with our most recent 6-0 beat down by Colorado, a game where the team showed little to no fight. As many others I’m sure, I didn’t purchase the PPV, so what I was left with were highlights. Not pretty. JDD let in 6, but for the most part they were all very nice goals with some precision passing occurring around our pylons. Quinn and company skated the team into the ground last practice with very little time on ice for the bag of pucks, so hopefully they saved a little bit of energy to take on the Canucks tonight.

For Canuck fans, they are 6-2-2 in their last 10 games, most recently outscoring the Pens in a 6-2 victory. They should be well rested as they haven’t played since the 16th. Defenseman Willie Mitchell will not be dressed for tonight’s game.

My prediction for tonight, a Sedin will be on the score board. I know, I know, it’s pretty bold, but I’m going to stand by it.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Moreau Horcoff Pisani
Penner Gagner Cogliano
O’Sullivan Potulny Nilsson
Jacques Pouliot Stortini

Souray – Gilbert
Smid – Visnovsky
Grebeshkov – Strudwik

Dubnyk
Deslauriers

Vancouver Canucks Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

D. Sedin – H. Sedin – Burrows

21.7 PP% 18.9
82 PK% 75.3
29.9 S/G 28.5
28.7 SA/G 31.8
51.2 FO% 47.1

GAME NOTES

- Stone is out. Brule and Staios questionable.
- Dubnyk likely to start tonight.
- Willie Mitchell out for Vancouver.
- More updates as they come.

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST PERIOD SCORING
EDM – 9:04 – Gagner (PPG) from Grebeshkov
Grebeshkov catches the Canucks on a change as he fires a blueline to blueline pass to Gagner. Gagner speeds in and beats Luongo upstairs on the blocker side.
VAN – 16:23 – Burrows (PPG) from D. Sedin, H. Sedin
Good puck movement. From the half wall, H. Sedin passes it to D. Sedin to the right side, and Daniel passes it out front to Burrows who puts it behind Dubnyk.
2ND PERIOD SCORING
EDM – 2:10 – Souray from Stortini, Pouliot
Replay of another Souray goal. Stortini picks up the puck after the faceoff and drops it to Souray who rifles it top cheese while the replay from the last play is still going.
3RD PERIOD SCORING
VAN15:54 – Salo (PPG) from D. Sedin, H. Sedin
Daniel throws it into slot for Salo who is sneaking in.. he duffs a shot that goes in the top corner on Dubnyk’s glove side.
OVERTIME SCORING
VAN – 1:39 – D. Sedin (PPG) from H. Sedin, Salo
Daniel Sedin is wide open in front of the net. I believe he was Souray’s man. Souray is up a bit playing the point shot. The puck comes to the half boards to H. Sedin. He passes it to the slot to a wide open D. Sedin, who tips it in.
SHOTS ON GOAL
1st 2nd 3rd OT Total
VAN VAN 8 9 11 1 29
EDM EDM 12 13 8 0 33

1ST PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

13:15 – O’Sullivan gets a shot from the right side. He skates in and fires it from the top of the faceoff circle. Luongo bobbles it and it bounces behind him but stays out.
4:55 – Pisani chips it up the boards to Horcoff. He drives down the right side and puts a backhand on net that Luongo saves with a bit of trouble.
4:00 – Dubnyk makes a nice save through a lot of traffic on a Salo point shot on the PP.
0:49 – Cogliano and Glass have a bit of a disagreement. Cogliano gives him a cross-check to the arms and Glass chirps back. Perhaps something brewing for later, although it better not be Cogliano who takes on Glass.

2ND PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

16:50 – Sam Gagner hits Pavel Demitra at the Oilers blue line, knocking him down.
15:25 – Dubnyk makes a nice save, but kicks out a fat rebound. Pisani does a great job preventing Raymond from punching home an easy goal.
13:25 – Souray chips it down the boards to O’Sullivan who goes in on a 2-on-1 with Nilsson. He elects to shoot from the faceoff dot and hits Luongo in the crest.
11:45 – Dubnyk makes a big save off of Samuelsson from point blank range in the slot off a one timer, kicking the leg out. Great save. He continues to make big saves on this Canucks powerplay.
4:35 – Gagner rushes in the zone and undresses Edler, but can’t get a shot off due to an Edler hook (drawing a penalty). Later on the shift, Gagner gets dumped into the boards by Bernie, on a high hit.
3:57 – On the Oilers PP, Kesler strips Souray of the puck in the Oilers zone. Kesler gets in alone on Dubnyk, with Souray harassing him. Dubnyk bails out the veteran defenseman.
2:33 – Just at the tail end of the powerplay, Visnovsky receives a pass at the point. He blasts it on net. Luongo makes the save and kicks the rebound out. Cogliano picks it up on the side of the net, but can’t get any lift on his backhand.

3RD PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS

11:50 – Strudwick buries Samuelsson in front of Dubnyk, after Samuelsson takes a couple hacks at a puck Dubnyk has trapped.
9:35 – Raymond nails Smid with a big hit in the corner. It was a high hit to the head (although not dirty, Smid was just leaning low) and Smid left the game.
7:55 – Cogliano gets a 2-on-1 with Gagner. He passes to Gagner at the blue line. Gagner elects to shoot from the faceoff dot, but Luongo plays the angle well and makes the save.
6:07 – Burrows and Horcoff have a bit of a scuffle in the Oilers zone as the puck is cleared down the ice. They’ve been doing some chirping from the bench for a bit. They draw coincidental penalties for roughing.

OVERTIME HIGHLIGHTS

4:07 – Grebeshkov takes a tripping call in overtime.

POST-GAME RANT

Fairly good game played by the Oilers. They started the game very strong, playing a tight defensive game. In the 3rd period, it opened up a bit and the Canucks started to pressure and take more control. In the overtime, a penalty pretty much iced it for the Oil, as the Gingers took over and made short work of the Oilers PK. Great, great game played by Dubnyk. Probably could have gotten a star.

More bad news on the injury front, as Smid left the game after being hammered midway through the 3rd by Mason Raymond.

Next game, Friday vs. Dallas in Edmonton. It’s a 7:00PM start, and is on Sportsnet.

75 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 2, Vancouver Canucks 3 (OT) – Jan 20, 2010 @ 8:00 PM – SNET – Game 49”

Thanks for posting the GDT today, Trogdor!

I’m sure some of you have noticed, but the site has been taking it’s monthly shit today. A few errors here and there, and some slowness or pages not loading. That’s the unfortunate thing we have to deal with, with shared hosting (i.e. a bunch of other websites on the same server as our website… and they all share resources, so if one is getting hammered they all are).

Btw, my prediction tonight.. 6-1 Canucks. *sniffle*

3. Trogdor says:

I’ll go with 4-2 Van. I think after so many days off we may take adavntage of them in the 1st, but once they get their legs they’ll come back. Who’s reffing tonight? Auger? That may effect the outcome too.

4. Haboiler says:

I’m going to the gong show tonite… My thoughts are 5-1 for the ‘nucks with 2 softies from DD.

I’m going to go ahead and break my self imposed rule against making predictions since they pretty much aren’t going to be expected to win any games from here on out.

I think the Oil win tonight, and I think they win fairly convincingly, something like 4-1 or 5-2. I say DD stands on his head and the ‘Nuck’s take a night off by taking the Oilers lightly, sprinkle in a little pissed of Oiler attitude from from the epic bag skate and they get a rare win.

besides, we can’t lose them all…can we?

6. Kofi says:

Err.. you have the statsline for Colorado listed in place of the Canucks.

I’m stuck at work and can’t watch (might be a good thing) – if anyone’s hanging out here, throw me some updates now and again please? Tks

Edit – nvm, thought it started at 10 my time not 11 – ugh. Might be home in time after all…

8. HockeyNoob says:

Hey Racki,

Yeah, I’m on shared hosting too, it’s not ideal. I don’t have a choice in my host, but some are better than others for speed.

I’ll go with the Canucks too. I’ll be optimistic and say 5-2 Canucks.

9. MetalOil says:

10. Mr.Majestyk says:

MetalOil: Just finished watching the Propects game and was most impressed with the play of Nino Niederreiter. I hope that the Oil can pick up an extra pick in the first round for the draft and scoop this guy up.

You mean swapping picks with Boston so they take Hall first overall and we take Fowler at 3rd and then we take Boston’s first round pick for later and take Nieder? I wouldn’t mind us doing something like this. Still get quite possibly an elite player in Fowler and roll the dice on another first rounder.

11. MetalOil says:

Mr.Majestyk:
    You mean swapping picks with Boston so they take Hall first overall and we take Fowler at 3rd and then we take Boston’s first round pick for later and take Nieder?I wouldn’t mind us doing something like this.Still get quite possibly an elite player in Fowler and roll the dice on another first rounder.

I would not be against this if it meant we got both Fowler and Niederreiter as these two players might just address our needs more then just Hall would but I was thinking more in the lines of keeping our position at or near the top of the draft and then sending one of our current players like Souray to a team for their first round pick(probably a late first rounder) plus more.

MetalOil: Just finished watching the Propects game and was most impressed with the play ofNino Niederreiter. I hope that the Oil can pick up an extra pick in the first round for the draft and scoop this guy up.

Ya I’m a big fan of El Nino… he’s a pretty big hard worker and has a lot of talent.

I actually almost would be happy with dropping down for Niederreiter.

14. MetalOil says:

Racki: I actually almost would be happy with dropping down for Niederreiter.

Depends what else we would get in the deal. but we do have plenty of options & top 3 picks are worth a ton!!!

Finally Penner, Gagner and Cogs together… a line I thought they should have started the season with and others suggested.

Ditto on Moreau, Horc Pisani, btw.

MetalOil:

Right now I think he’s ranked by ISS at around 19 or 15 or something. I would not be surprised to see him top 10 by the draft.

17. MetalOil says:

Yeah he is probably the biggest wild card for the draft. He could really go anywhere from 4th to 30th.

Gaggggnerrrrr!

19. MetalOil says:

Yay!!!!!!!

20. MetalOil says:

Hopefully Gags decides to play a full season next year.

Yah no kidding. He is young though, in his defense, so it will take some time to fully adjust. But he’s got some SUPER good chemistry with Penner. That’s great to see.

Racki:

yeah, he was pretty awesome in the WJHC too…with that showing and now his play at the all star game, if he finishes off his junior season strong, I could almost see him climbing to be a top 10 prospect.

23. MetalOil says:

So if we did decide to drop down what do you guys think should be the asking price in giving up our top pick? their 1st rounder + 2nd rounder maybe??? I don’t know what top 3 picks(fingers crossed) typically go for.

24. Trogdor says:

Racki, you fix the Canuck stats or is someone smoking crack? Must have been one of the blips while trying to update… Otherwise hooray for being up!

Trogdor: Ya I fixed the stats.

MetalOil: I’d say yah, 1st+2nd… depending on what we drop down to. Would we want to drop down though and risk it? I’d say no. I could see trading Hall/Fowler/Seguin for Niederreiter and a 2nd, although I don’t think that will happen at all. I do think though that we’ll have a pretty damn nice prospect this year.

26. Trogdor says:

Thanks for cleaning up the stats, and cheers to Steve-O for his generosity tonight. And boo to Burrows.

Yes, thanks to Steve-O for paying for the beer. Cheers to our server for thinking my debit card was too sorry looking to be able to afford beer.

If we finish last our first and second pick for both of Boston’s(one from TO, and their own 1st)would be intriguing.

That could likely get us like someone said Fowler and Neideriter.

either way, Boston looks to have a bright future.

Racki: Im guessing that anyone in the top 3 won’t make a trade, especially to move up. But I guess you never know. Boston definitely is sitting pretty though having a shot at both a Hall/Seguin/Fowler and someone like Niederreiter.

Indeed, especially because they are already pretty damn good.

Yah that’s exactly it. Apparently each of the top 3 are on par with each other.

*Special thanks to whoever it was that dropped Souray in our pool* :)

33. Trogdor says:

Special thanks to Brodeur for his shutout a week pace. Bonus points to Souray for the lead.

pooooooo!!!!

btw, Tencer tweeted earlier that there was a fairly large Canuck contingent at the game tonight, what’s up with that?

effin’ bandwagoners.

gr8one: that’s typical though.. always lots of Canucks fans at Canucks games, or Flames fans at Flames games in Edmonton

Doobie on fire…

Pardon my pun… sparkin’ a doobie!

38. Trogdor says:

Any Canadian team or original 6 the crowd ends up pretty 50/50… Sad but true, but when I was at the Leafs game with my pops it seemed there were more visitor fans than usual.

Racki: gr8one: that’s typical though.. always lots of Canucks fans at Canucks games, or Flamers fans at Flamers games in Edmonton

I didn’t realize that…I get the flames cause Calgarys so close, and of course any original 6 team I know draw well wherever they go…same with whatver teams have the big stars(pens,caps) but I didn’t realize the nucks always drew well…especially cause they have always sucked.

I remember going to the Habs game last year (where the Oilers embarassed Price). Friggen awesome. Lots of Habs fans going nuts, chanting, but drowned out by Oil fans. And for once, the score was in our favor, so it was good to be able to back it up!

Missed the 1st, nice to hear the SN crew giving the Oil props for their defensive play. They look pretty good so far this period! Would be nice to get a win tonight to give their spirits a boost. The post game interviews are getting pretty tough to watch.

LateNightOilFan: Missed the 1st, nice to hear the SN crew giving the Oil props for their defensive play.They look pretty good so far this period!Would be nice to get a win tonight to give their spirits a boost.The post game interviews are getting pretty tough to watch.

Yes, true enough. As much as I’m all for the top-3 pick, gotta feel some pity for the boys and coaches. A win against the Canucks would be REALLY nice too. Especially with Lou in net, and all the Canucks fans in the house.

43. MetalOil says:

Racki: Doobie on fire…
    Pardon my pun… sparkin’ a doobie!

Nice :)
    I would rather have doobie playing for the falcons right now though. When he first got called up Springfield was right in the mix for a playoff spot and once he left they spiraled down in the standings. I know we needed another goalie up here but with the team leaving our goalies high and dry on most nights anyways it might as well not be our most highly rated goalie prospect facing all that rubber instead and Pitton filling the void up here. Springfield is in a mess right now without Doobie (although they have been playing better as of late) and I believe in trying to win from the bottom all the way up to the big club to build a winning atmosphere to the club at all levels.

Sedin vs. Souray…… slight mismatch?

MetalOil:
    Nice
    I would rather have doobie playing for the falcons right now though. When he first got called up Springfield was right in the mix for a playoff spot and once he left they spiraled down in the standings. I know we needed another goalie up here but with the team leaving our goalies high and dry on most nights anyways it might as well not be our most highly rated goalie prospect facing all that rubber instead and Pitton filling the void up here. Springfield is in a mess right now without Doobie right now(although they have been playing better as of late) and I believe in trying to win from the bottom all the way up to the big club to build a winning atmosphere to the club at all levels.

Nevermind playoff spot, they were 3 points out of first in their conference. He gets called up, and they go on a ginormous losing streak. Up until recently, they hadn’t won a game without him. I’m not sure how many losses they had without him, but I’d guess around 17-20. Pretty brutal.

Slick move by Gagner. TOo bad he couldn’t get the shot off.

Oilers are actually playing pretty decent.

Haven’t had their usual meltdown period just yet.

Racki: Slick move by Gagner. TOo bad he couldn’t get the shot off.

You should have heard the Nucks broadcasters calling for a penalty against Gags there cuz he ‘came up swinging’ after he was hit.