Fresh off the 4-day mini camp, the Oilers are looking for a clean slate. Lubomir Visnovsky (who returns tonight) had this to say about the mini-camp: “We’ve been able to put in new systems and better systems during this mini camp. Hopefully, it’ll be like a new season, because the last season was very bad.” I’m not sure how well this mini camp will work, but Quinn reportedly was unimpressed by the way the lines ran the powerplay. The thing I am optimistic about though is that if this doesn’t work, there’s nowhere for anyone to hide.
The Oilers are an awesome 1-11 in their last dozen games. If anything, I feel a bit of pity for the team and want to see the mini camp work for them. Damn you, high draft pick. The Predators are 7-5 in the same period. They beat the Canucks last night by a score of 3-2. I’m not expecting much from the Oilers tonight, but in a way I’m hopeful that the reset button worked for them… Hall/Seguin/Fowler wishes, aside.
Brain: 5-2 Predators
Heart: 4-3 Oilers
Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)
Penner – Horcoff – Nilsson
Stone – Gagner- Pisani
Jacques – Potulny – O’Sullivan
Moreau – Cogliano – Stortini
Souray – Gilbert
Grebeshkov – Staios
Smid – Visnovsky
Nashville Predators Projected Line-Up (subject to change)
Sullivan – Goc – Hornqvist
Erat – Legwand – Ward
Jones – O’Reilly – Dumont
Thuresson – Spaling – Belak
Suter – Weber
Hamhuis – Klein
Boullion – Franson
- Visnovsky should be making his return for this one
- Brule is out with the flu, Jacques is in, in his place
- Rumors going around about Cogliano being dealt (again). Check the General Discussion section for details.
- As expected, Poo and his pubis whatever are Springfield bound for a conditioning stint.
- more game notes to come as news comes…
|1ST PERIOD SCORING|
|– 4:59 – Weber from Jones, O’Reilly|
|One-timed blast from the point|
|– 5:27 – Goc from Weber, Hornqvist|
|The point shot is blocked up high by Gilbert and drops in front of him. Goc picks it up and goes wide and scores from a bad angle.|
|– 19:02 – Dumont from Jones, Klein|
|Deslauriers gets caught outside his net a bit challenging a shooter. Dumont carries it behind the net and wraps it in before Deslauriers can get there.|
|2ND PERIOD SCORING|
|– 6:40 – Hornqvist from Goc|
|Deslauriers misplays it behind the net and Goc pounces on the loose puck. It’s played out front to Hornqvist, who puts it away.|
|3RD PERIOD SCORING|
|– 7:22 – Jacques from Potulny, Gilbert|
|Gilbert throws a breakout pass up to Potulny. Potulny chips it ahead to Jacques who is streaking in. He loses the puck briefly and shoots a wrister on net that squeaks through Rinne’s pads.|
|– 14:29 – Potulny (PPG) from O’Sullivan, Gagner|
|O’Sullivan fires it cross crease from behind the goal line in the corner to Potunly on the opposite side. Potulny buries it.|
|– 16:15 – Jones (PPG) from Dumont, O’Reilly|
|The Predators work it around on the PP. The Oilers watch in awe, and somehow Jones is left alone right in front of Doobie.|
|– 19:39 – Penner (PPG) from Nilsson, Visnovsky|
|Penner receives it in the slot from Nilsson. He makes no mistake from close range.|
|SHOTS ON GOAL|
1ST PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS
- Grebeshkov intercepts a pass and skates up ice and makes a nice play to feed Pisani in the slot, however Pisani is completely covered/mugged.
- Cogliano chases down a puck and completely bowls over a Predator in the process, drawing some excitement from the fans.
- Jacques joins Pisani and Gagner after the 2-0 lead for the Predators.
- Cogliano rattles the glass hitting Klein on a dump in.
- Gagner throws a man-sized hit on Weber while competing for a puck in the corner.
- Stone misses a glorious chance. He stickhandles around a defender and falls down in the process and just sweeps the puck wide.
2ND PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS
- Souray lays an open ice hit on Spaling, knocking him to the ice.
- Potulny gets a good chance from 30 feet out, but fires it high and wide.
- Deslauriers robs Legwand’s backhand, with a big, flashy glove save.
- Cogliano is now playing with O’Sullivan and Potulny.
- Goaltending change after 4-0.
- Smid gets nailed by a slap shot from Franson, catching it on the skate. He goes down, but mans his way up and off the ice.
3RD PERIOD HIGHLIGHTS
- Nilsson throws a big hit to start off the period, near center ice.
- Just noticed we’ve gone 2 periods without a penalty.
- O’Sullivan stands up Klein along the boards… big hit. As Klein was watching the puck, O’Sullivan just threw his shoulder at him.
- Souray breaks up a Predators 2-on-1, preventing the pass across.
- A shot from the point is tipped by Dumont through Dubnyk’s legs… on ice it is waved off by the ref immediately. They go upstairs, and the call on the ice stands.
- Dubnyk makes a nice save off of a shot following a rebound off the back boards by Erat.
- Hornqvist takes the first penalty of the game (finally) for a slash on Jacques with just under 7 minutes left in the 3rd period.
- The fire alarm in the building goes off, drawing Principe like lines from Quinn: “Hopefully that lights a fire under their butts”… the Oil score shortly after to make it 4-2.
- Moreau stalls the comeback by taking a penalty.
- Souray mugs Erat on the penalty kill, straight arming him to the ice at the blue line as he’s trying to break into the Oilers zone.
Well, I’ll keep it short. Same old, same old with the Oilers. Good effort in the offensive zone, weak effort in the defensive zone. Couple that with soft goaltending in the form of Jeff Deslauriers. The Oilers poured it on towards the end… credit to them for nearly coming back. On the other hand… I wish I had 2 more hands so I could give four thumbs down to Moreau for taking yet another trademark stupid, lazy penalty in the 3rd to completely kill momentum and stall the comeback. Please… Tambellini.. if there is one move you make this year….
Next game, Thursday @ 7:30 vs. the Penguins. Get your Tank For Taylor shirts on, cause that should be a disgusting one (would have predicted a big loss early in the season too though).