By , January 7, 2010 11:24 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Columbus Blue Jackets

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Columbus Blue Jackets

Missed the last game vs. the Coyotes, as I’m sure many of you did since it was PPV and Team Canada was on. However, we are currently 1-9-1 in the last 11. The Blue Jackets are 1-8-2 in that same time frame (1-13-2 in their last 16.. wow.. thought we had it bad), so it should be the battle of the titans tonight.

Steve-O and I will be heading to the game tonight courtesy of free tickets I won from work.. yay! Anyways, I sure as hell hope they win so I can at least enjoy being at the game. I’ve had some rotten luck there this year, like many others. Both the heart and brain are predicting a win tonight though.

Brain prediction: 4-3 Oilers
Heart prediction: 7-3 Oilers

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner – Horcoff – Nilsson
Stone – Gagner- Pisani
Brule – Potulny – O’Sullivan
Moreau – Cogliano – Stortini

Souray – Gilbert
Grebeshkov – Strudwick
Smid – Staios/Visnovsky

Dubnyk
Deslauriers

Columbus Blue Jackets Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

(Lines swindled from Low On Oil)
Huselius – Umberger – Nash

20.6 PP% 18.3
81.2 PK% 76.3
30.5 S/G 28.2
30.3 SA/G 31.8
50.9 FO% 46.9

GAME NOTES

– Steve Staios, Ryan Stone and Jean-Francois Jacques were absent from Wednesday’s practice. Staios was nursing an injury. According to Quinn he “got wacked last night and today he went to be medically checked”. I think that’s 1920’s old man talk for “he blocked a shot and got hit on the inside of the knee” (per Tencer’s twitter, live during the game.. 1 of 10 people watching Tuesday night). Jacques has a wrist injury, but Quinn says that’s not why he was scratched on Tuesday. Stone’s injury is a minory knee injury. He had the day off for precautionary reasons. Staios is questionable for Thursday.
– Nilsson also took a stick in the eye on practice Wednesday, but seems to be OK.
– The good news is, Visnovsky could be ready as early as tomorrow. So if Staios is out, Visnovsky may be in, if he’s good to go. But if it’s not tomorrow, sounds like it could be soon. Quinn said he had a good skate on Wednesday morning.
– According to Tencer and the Oilers twitter, Dubnyk gets the start tonight.

First Period Summary

Team Goals Shots
Edmonton 1 8
Columbus 1 15

Goals

• 16:40 Columbus. RJ Umberger (Huselius,Nash)
  • 16:59 Edmonton. Pisani (unassisted)

Notes

• Missed most of the first…
  • 1 penalty to O’Sully.
  • Pisani scores first goal of the season.

Second Period Summary

Team Goals Shots
Edmonton 0 12
Columbus 1 8

Goals

• 18:43 Columbus. Vermette (Torres, Voracek)

Notes

• Souray hit the crossbar.
  • Oilers with a brief 2 man adavantage. (zip, zero, nada…)
  • Late goal by the Jackets…

Third Period Summary

Team Goals Shots
Edmonton 1 6
Columbus 2 6

Goals

• 01:36 Edmonton. Ganger (Grebeshkov, Stone)
  • 03:36 Columbus. Huselius PP (Umberger)
  • 11:21 Columbus. Hejda (Pahlsson, Roy)

Notes

• Oilers tie it up with an early goal by Gagner.
  • Columbus responds minutes later with a PP goal. Courtesy of Staios for interference
  • Stone called for holding.
  • Shortly after killing the penalty, Columbus score to go up by 2.
  • Late PP opportunity for the Oil. Few shots, no goals
  • Even later PP (35 secs to go) after some more energetic play. No goal…

62 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 2, Columbus Blue Jackets 4 – Jan 7, 2010 @ 7:00 PM – SNET – Game 44”

Doobie in net, per Twitter (Tencer/Oilers)

2. Horpensky says:

Tank for Taylor! Fall for Hall! I don’t know what’s wrong with the Blue Jackets, but if we beat them in regulation, we’re tied with them, and Hitchcock’s seat could possibly get hotter.

Bostonoiler: Rumor: Souray to Caps for Jose Theodore, Eric Fuhr, 2 picks and a prospect (As per Eklund Twatwaffle) That draws the line for me. I wouldn’t watch another game this season

5. otto84 says:

Go Blue Jackets!

B.O.:
    Name 3 trades in the last decade he rumored to happen a day or more in advance that actually did happen.

Why you even worried about that one happening?

7. otto84 says:

Noooooo!!!!!

Bostonoiler: Rumor: Souray to Caps for Jose Theodore, Eric Fuhr, 2 picks and a prospect (As per twatwaffle)

Fehr is a BIG bodied(6’4 212lbs)versatile winger with huge offensive upside that is putting up decent numbers despite limited icetime in Washington. He lead the WHL in scoring his final year of junior, so you know he’s got decent hands for a big guy.

Plus TWO picks.

otto84: There’s rumours coming off the Island that Snow is getting calls from the Oilers regarding Biron.
    Noooooo!!!!!

Only about 4 years too late on that phone call (although not a slag to Roli at all).

gr8one:
    not that it’s going to happen, but I actually don’t hate this trade, as long as they don’t stop there.Fehr is a BIG bodied(6′4 212lbs)versatile winger with huge offensive upside that is putting up decent numbers despite limited icetime in Washington. He lead the WHL in scoring his final year of junior, so you know he’s got decent hands for a big guy.Plus Theodore comes in and relieves the pressure from JDD, and his contract comes off the books in the offseason for some much needed cap relief.plus a prospect(twatwaffle says Stefan Della Rovere) who is a young version of Tootoo and was just on team Canada in the WJH.Plus TWO picks.so, this trade essentially clears up like 5 million in cap space this offseason, gives us a starting goaltender for the remainder of the season so Khabi can have his surgery, adds some size and grit up front, plus two picks to add to the rebuild, I think it’s a no brainer, I’d do it.yes we give up Souray, yes everyone loves Souray, including me, but the more I think of it, if this team does a rebuild, I honestly don’t want any of our current leadership core in the dressing room, this team needs a culture change, we can sign some UFA vets in the offseason to come mentor the kids.

Yah.. mixed feelings on that. Sounds like a pretty awesome trade (although again, the source makes this almost not worth my time to debate, but I’m bored at work). We get a lot of value in return. I liked what I saw from Della Rovere for one. I also like the sounds of Eric Fehr. And draft picks too?? Excellent. As for Theodore.. limited faith in him. However, if he stinks up the joint, he helps the DFF (drive for five) cause anyways. So that’s the good..

The bad.. Souray going. Our defense is weak as is. They’d have to address this immediately in another trade. Also, in regards to the culture change… I can’t speak to it, myself, but Souray strikes me as a guy that wouldn’t be a bad apple on a team like some of the other vets almost make me wonder about. I would have no problems going through the culture change with him still on the team. I think the way he carries himself in interviews he seems like the kind of guy who is a good team guy, but is honest with himself, his team and the fans. So I’m in no rush to move him for any reason. But that deal would definitely be very tempting.

11. MetalOil says:

Could you imagine a PP with Ov, Green & Souray!! Getter done Stevie

what trade are we talking about?

13. Horpensky says:

I would do that in a heartbeat. I was always a huge fan of Fehr, and this trade would address our biggest needs, goaltending this season and prospects/picks for rebuilding. Plus Fehr is also from Winkler, Manitoba :)

Caps would probably send another dman back too, so they get another offensive dman instead of just Green

MetalOil: I had a hunch that if Souray did go on the market then the Caps would be one of the teams calling. He would fit in great on the Caps and Souray would be to them what Gonchar is to the Pens. I would trade Souray and Cogs for Theodore Fher and the Caps first round pick and 2nd round pick(even their 2nd pick in a future draft).
    Could you imagine a PP with Ov, Green & Souray!! Getter done Stevie

Getter done so we can see their PP?

Horpensky:

Wonder if they’d do that package but add in one of our skill guys / Shaone Morrisson

Of course, speculation is fun and all, but since this is an Eklund Twatwaffle rumor, I don’t believe it will happen.

Horpensky:
    Plus Fehr is also from Winkler, Manitoba

isn’t that where Penner is from too?

Shaone Morrison is another capital that would look great with the Oilers, big physical shut down D.

though, honestly, the Caps already pulled off a fairly significant trade(losing their captain) I really can’t see them fucking too much more with team chemistry considering how well they’ve played this year.

17. MetalOil says:

Racki:
    Getter done so we can see their PP?

Just getter done so we can start clearing up some cap space and get even more depth for a much needed youth movement!!!
    I won’t deny that it would be a great PP to watch come playoff time if the Caps did land Souray and they would be my fav eastern team come playoff time.(I think I will be going with the Kings in the west).

18. RyanB says:

gr8one:
    isn’t that where Penner is from too?geezus, what the hell do they feed their kids there? are they all behemoth freaks of nature?

Yeah Penner’s from the too it’s gotta be something in the water or maybe they fight bears in the winter to bulk up. What else do you do in rural Manitoba?

I don’t see that deal happening simply because it’d really hurt the Caps cap situation. They’ve got Backstrom as an RFA this season and Varlamov is a RFA after 10/11 while Semin and Laich are UFAs. Adding another 5.4 to the mix might make keeping the core a pretty tough thing to do and that core is already pretty good.

19. HockeyNoob says:

Racki, have fun at the game tonight! Take some RX1 pictures and let us know if there’s lots of empty seats.

Ryan, the caps did extend Semin already, but that still doesn’t help this situation.

Too bad it’s an Eklund Twatwaffle rumor, I like the deal. I also liked what I saw from Della Rovere.

20. HockeyNoob says:

Hahah, that’s funny. Eklund Twatwaffle was changed automatically to “twatwaffle.”

21. Horpensky says:

eklund

22. Horpensky says:

haha sweet, I wanted to try it out… Eklund Twatwaffle!

Well this is either going to be an incredibly dull game because both teams are struggling and will have equal levels of suck, or it’s going to be an incredibly exciting game because both teams are struggling and will battle to prove which team sucks less.

Glad to see Dubnyk get another start, hope it goes better for him this time.

24. Trogdor says:

Just settling in to watch. Hopefully there are some goals to entertain but not enough to break DD’s spirit.

Pisani!!!!!

And I don’t care who scored for the BJ’s

1-1!

26. Trogdor says:

I haven’t been able to watch yet, but from the stats I’m seeing, we’re getting outshot badly by a bottom feeding team… Dang, looks like I missed something of interest. Goal off a faceoff post goal I’m guessing.

it just strikes me as wrong that a teams initials would “BJ’s”.

hehe

28. Trogdor says:

Wow. Gene didn’t have a quip to finish off the interview?

29. Mr.Majestyk says:

The BJ’s suck.

30. Trogdor says:

Grinders are having a decent game so far. Nilsson doing his fancy pants thing again.

Mr.Majestyk: The BJ’s suck.

hah!

yeah, they really really blow.

32. Trogdor says:

so does our PP…

33. Trogdor says:

maybe they can prove me wrong on a 2 man advantage

34. Trogdor says:

Working the point shot on a 2 man advantage? Cmon…

35. Trogdor says:

Flyers have 13 goals in back to back games. Jeff Carter is waking up which is good for me!

36. Trogdor says:

Horcoff tries to sell it, but I don’t think that was in. Nope.

37. Trogdor says:

What kind of pass was that?

38. Horpensky says:

booooring… :(

39. Trogdor says:

Yeah, my 2nd period game notes were as long as the 1st and I didn’t see the first…

40. Trogdor says:

Woohoo! A nice goal!

I mean boring… So bored…

That was a pretty goal! Gags from Grebs = 2 points for my pool!

2-2, woke me up a bit!

42. Trogdor says:

Seems to have energized the crowd a bit too. Does look like a lot of empty seats though.

Gags chokes BJ’s.

44. Trogdor says:

And down again…

45. Trogdor says:

Looking sloppy out there. Need a commercial break to calm the troops.

46. Trogdor says:

4-2… Don’t think we’re generating any kind of comeback. Nice tip by Patty.

“Right off the shaft of O’Sullivan”…

48. Trogdor says:

No one’s hitting tonight. Better get JFJ back in there.

49. Trogdor says:

Someone other than Souray has to shoot. Throw them off a bit.

Trogdor: Someone other than Souray has to shoot. Throw them off a bit.

I think Garon might appreciate that. That last one stung him.