By , January 5, 2010 10:11 am

First time ever I get to reuse the exact same picture. Maybe they were hoping for a jersey retirement and covered all of the Coyotes games

Go team Canada!!

…and Oilers.

Racki’s turn…

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Line-Up (Picture courtesy of Trogdor, on site at the Mini Camp)

Mini-camp

2.23 GA/G 3.19
16.7 PP% 17.9
84.2 PK% 76.4
29.9 S/G 27.9
28.5 SA/G 31.9
50.8 FO% 46.6

Sorry guys, I’m passing on this one for the better game. The GDT for that one will be up shortly. I’m still an Oiler fan though, and as such, we still have a GDT up, although it took everything in me to even put up the effort of making the GDT. I’m going to miss this PPV tonight, for sure. For the sake of the players on the team, I hope they win tonight. I’m starting to feel a bit of pity for the guys which is overcoming my huge desire to Tank for Taylor. I secretly hope that this mini-camp thing works out.

39 Responses to “GDT (FINAL) – Edmonton Oilers 4, Phoenix Coyotes 5 – Jan 5, 2010 @ 7:00 PM – PPV – Game 43”

1. Horpensky says:

Is anyone going to watch this? Oilers slump + PPV + Coyotes + Team Canada Gold medal game sounds like a recipe for no viewers

nope, i’ll be depending on tsn highlights to keep updated

although i might turn on 630ched after the canada game to listen to the rest

I still would love Taylor Hall.. but I don’t really like seeing them lose either!

yeah…even if we finish last overall we’ll probably still lose the lottery.

thats the whole reason for the lottery…to ensure there is no tanking

and i like it. I would rather not be like the pens and essentially buy their team by sucking so hard for 7 years

TSN Comment: smuller1: Been a huge Oilers fan for many years and I have to admit I find myself TiVo-ing the games and instead of watching them I just look at the score on the computer because I don’t want to watch them lose so bad over and over!!!!! Yet, this is what I have to say about righting the ship: First off, trade Moreau and Staios, along with a puck moving d-man like Grebeshkov for draft picks and/or a big stay at home d-man and/or a faceoff/defensive specialist, buy out Horcoff and look forward to the draft and the newcomers in Eberle and Svensson. Name Souray captain and have him rule the lockerroom and in this way we clear cap space and allow room for our youth to grow and develop. Just my two cents!!!!!

TSN Comment: Plainsnuck: All of you calling for the trade of core players and the firing of Quinn have no idea what you’re talking about. Quinn has proven time and time again he can coach, i think its mostly just a lack heart.

Interesting comments from TSN on the mini-camp. Does it sound familiar at all? Some people are jumping on the Hawks bandwagon even, jeez… It is getting frustrating though… but never enough to change teams.

7. MetalOil says:

I have no trouble cheering for a loss. What now we are gonna try and put it together and chase that coveted 9th place finish??? If we do not finish with a top 5 pick then I will blow a gasket.

That’s what it amounts to… they won’t make the playoffs, that’s guaranteed. But as a fan it’s hard for me to sit here and say “gee I hope our players suck even more”. But I think luckily for me, they can probably try as hard as they want and still stink the joint up anyways.

9. otto84 says:

Helloooo World Juniors!

10. otto84 says:

Racki: Nope. Won’t be watching this one or chedding it. I’ll check updates later. As I mentioned in the post above though, I do hope they win. It’s difficult to actually want to tank for Taylor when you see the frustrations on the players faces, to be honest.

I hear ya, Racki. It’s the old ‘ripping off the band-aid’ situation.

Btw, for those that missed it (and care), Pisani is in for Jacques. That’s good that Pies is back.

12. MetalOil says:

Welcome back Pies!!!
    Whats going on with Comrie? Is he any closer yet. I had mono once and it really sucks but I was given medication and felt way better about a week later. What gives?

13. Trogdor says:

Oh look a tumbleweed…

4-4 in the game? My my, they made it interesting.

and now time to ched the game

Trogdor: Did some reading about mono and you’re supposed to avoid contact sports as your spleen might rupture… I guess you have to be sure you’re healthy before you jump back in.Oh look a tumbleweed…4-4 in the game? My my, they made it interesting.

Yeah, I think it’s the type of thing that has different levels of severity for different people. The spleen is an issue.

Glad to hear Pisani is back. I’m watching the PHX feed, they are some pissed about the goal that was called back. Think I would be too if the situation was reversed. I didn’t think that was a clear cut case of goalie interference but I guess they ruled because JDD couldn’t get to the top of the crease to cut off the angle.

Staois always gets up, you know that had to be bad if he lays on the ice.

I missed the 3rd and 4th goals…….It was 4-2 when I turned it off. 20 goals for Penner is nice to see. Grebs finally getting one too is nice to see. I want the win tonight. Fall for Hall on Thursday ok?

18. Trogdor says:

1 point in the bank!

Nm, I see the Coyotes won it in OT.. 5-4

1-9-1 in last 11. this is the worst team to ever play in edmonton. I say 29 wins MAX this season. Horrible penalty call against Pisani, Missed called when Doan hooked Smid. Refs gave away this won. Damnit, I guess we can look forward to Eberle and Hall and Svensson……jesus christ tis team needs a lot of work done to it……

B.O.: you’re too young, but 92-93 season or 93-94 season are good competition for worst seasons ever. I’d say the 92-93 season wins.

Racki: Nm, I see the Coyotes won it in OT.. 5-4

They work a pretty good 4 on 3 PP. Funny how this game mirrored the WJC game too. Oilers down 2, tie it up and then lose in OT.

The Oilers can at least use injuries as an excuse this season. I know it’s not the sole reason, obviously… but it’s not their worst season. No excuses though, it certainly stinks.

24. Trogdor says:

Taylor Watch:
    Toronto got 2 points and Canes had the night off.

Why is it that the Oilers site always has to go by the american feed, did they sign some kind of contract? The announcers are horrible. “Vrbata slapping his beaver tail hard on the ice, he wants the pass…” or something like that, what the fuck is that shit?

LOL… that expression always drove me nuts. Sounds perverted.

It sure does. That one announcer needs a punch to the face, at least McGuire has proper ‘slang’ if that makes any sense.

EDIT: Oh and I have a very good feeling that we’ll be seeing more of the ‘retro’ theme from the Oilers next year…

beaver tail is slapping your stick on the ice in an annoying attempt to get your teammate to pass to you

usually ignored by said teammate as it also lets defending team know you are open

I know what the expression means, just its one that always drove me nuts when announcers use it

Oil are 16 points out. There is hope. All the teams in front of us up to the 7th seed are losing right now. Solid winning streak puts us back in it…..Quinn is going to work his ass off….this oilers squad might be able to make it with a great run. We have seen it before. Is it doable????

(Trying to brighten up the mood under 10% chance. I kinda hope so, but I also want hall)

This is the same shit every year.. don’t get your hopes up! The realist in me says they have been out for a while. I’d love to see an epic comeback to get in the playoffs, but realistically that isn’t going to happen.

39 games to gain 16 points? Not going to happen.

32. MetalOil says:

Here is a what if. If the Oilers do not get the 1st overall pick and settle for the 2nd pick then who do we take? I am thinking that Cam Fowler would be the next best option. He looked calm cool and collective the whole tourney and might be exactly what we need here in Edmonton. Maybe even more so then Hall.

Well they pick the best player available. To be honest, I didn’t really pay enough attention to Fowler so I can’t comment on him. Hall did look to have some strong natural ability. Yes, he was overshadowed by Eberle’s awesomeness, but I think Hall will be a guy who can score in more situations. I’m worried Eberle is going to be a big time PP specialist. But we’ll see.. no sense speculating yet.

Anyways, I have a McGuire-like man crush on Pietrangelo though.. damn that kid is good. Wish he was undrafted. I was also very impressed with Swiss’ Niederreiter. So if it gets to the point where the Oilers are doing their usual late playoff push, he’s always a later option that would be good. He’s only 17 but was one of the better players at the tourney. He’s also got some size to him. Only 6’0 according to the IIHF site (although I wonder if he’s grown since when that was recorded, cause he looked bigger). He’s also over 200lbs.

I’m more impressed by a guy who isn’t surrounded by a lot of natural talent having a great tourney than some of the other guys at the tourney who have good teammates.

But from what i hear, Fowler is a really good D man. I don’t really know much about him though.

34. MetalOil says:

I payed attention to Fowler in the 3 US games that I watched and was impressed. He ain’t a flashy player and unless you are paying specific attention to him then you probably will not really notice him and thats a good thing. He is very strong defensively and plays a simple game and I think that he could be very valuable on the Oilers back end.

Fowler is a great player, but if the Oilers get the 2nd pick I want Seguin. If they get 1st, Hall. If they get 3rd then I’d look toward Fowler. He could be a great player in the league one day.

Racki: Trust me my hopes aren’t up as I said its unrealistic, but hey it would be on epic run!

I’d actually love for the Oilers to do what they can to pick up another 1st rounder like they did in ’07.

Call me crazy, but I think that Swiss forward is going to be a sleeper pick. He was only 17… he had pretty good speed, busted his ass on the ice, and had a good nose for the net.

37. MetalOil says:

Racki: I’d actually love for the Oilers to do what they can to pick up another 1st rounder like they did in ‘07.

Me too. I think we could get a first rounder for Souray. Not sure where that Nrider Swiss player will go in the draft but it might be a good gamble. I wouldn’t mind getting the Swiss goalie Conz as well in the 2nd round or later.

Right now hockeys future has him at about 22nd I believe. And that was before the WJHCs… so I would imagine that’s going to give him a bit of a boost.