By , January 2, 2010 11:16 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at San Jose Sharks

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at San Jose Sharks

Well, the Oilers head into a new year, and they’ll be thankful to put 2009 behind them. The playoff chance calculator has them at a 0.4% chance of making the playoffs. And as Dustin Penner would remind us, Lloyd Christmas once said “so you’re saying there’s a chance!!” (for those that missed it: Penner on not making Canada: “Like my friend Lloyd Christmas said, what was all this 1 in a million talk?”).

Anyways, the Oilers are coming off a 2-1 loss vs. the Flames yesterday in which Jeff Deslauriers stood on his head to keep the score from being completely out of hand (I’m sure many of you skipped this one, and you were smart to). They’ve lost 8 of their last 9 now. The Sharks, meanwhile have won 7 straight. So hi, uhm.. free spot on the bingo card.

Here are my predictions:

18.5 PP% 20.8
75.7 PK% 87.4
28 S/G 31.1
32 SA/G 31.3
46.7 FO% 55.9

GAME NOTES

- Visnovsky hurt his left foot falling into the boards while defending against Brandon Prust of the Flames, on Thursday. Amazingly enough, he finished his shift. It was a nearly 3 minute long shift, and after hurting his foot, he played 2 full minutes. He did have a couple of shifts afterwards too. He did have it checked by a doctor yesterday, and the verdict is 7 to 10 days.
- Strudwick will play in place of Visnovsky. He has been paired with Grebeshkov, and Smid will return to a familiar (yet scary) pairing with Steve Staios.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

13:10 – SJS – Huskins from Mitchell, McGinn
A shot from Huskins at the point somehow squeezes through a bunch of bodies and then through Deslauriers’ five hole. It appears to go in off of McGinn’s skate.
17:18 – SJS – Murray from Nichol, Staubitz
Similar to the first goal, a slap shot from the point squeaks through Deslauriers’ pads. He should’ve had this one.

Other Highlights
9:05 – Cogliano and Penner pair up for the best scoring chance of the period so far. Cogliano skates into the zone and gets a wrister off from a really bad angle. Nabokov kicks the rebound to the slot and Penner gets a shot off that could go in, but it’s blocked by a defenseman.
4:15 – Jacques carries the puck behind the net and wraps a hard, blind pass to the tape of Brule’s stick. He in turn fires a hard shot on net, but Nabokov turns it aside.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

0:43 – SJS – Heatley from Thornton, Marleau
Heatley skates from the boards, behind the net, and wraps it into the net
4:06 – EDM – Nilsson from Gagner, Penner
Nilsson breaks in the zone and makes an very nice play, flipping the puck to himself to freeze the defender and getting a shot on net.
13:32 – SJS – Marleau from Thornton, Murray
Gagner is the lone man covering the ride sight of the net, but is lured by a player over to the left side, leaving a huge lane open down the middle of the ice for Marleau. Marleau fakes a slapshot from the point then skates uncontested into the slot and wrists a shot past Deslauriers on the glove side.

Other Highlights
15:20 – Strudwick and Clowe go at it. This is a continuation of a battle in front of the net earlier. Clowe really lands the only punches. The announcers go crazy, but I didn’t really think there was much of a fight here. Most of the blows seemed to be glancing, and it looked like Strudwick just lost his balance.
13:36 – Nilsson makes an amazing Dangle move that draws excitement from Lee.
13:22 – Nilsson is bowled over at the blue line by Nichol with a nice hit.
8:52 – GIlbert throws a rare hit, and its a good one.. on Clowe of all people. Very nice hit.
7:05 – CBC points out that the Oilers have 37 GF and 17 GA in the last 10 games. Brutal.
2:56 – Somehow a Gilbert shot that is tipped out front stays out. Another very dangerous chance by the Oilers, but the magic forcefield keeps the puck out.
1:32 – Grebeshkov throws a huge open ice hit on Ortmeyer.
0:46 – Horcoff comes in the zone alone. He delays and drops it back to Brule who fires a shot on net, but Nabokov makes the save.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

No scoring.

Other Highlights
15:47 – Deslauriers makes a big glove save on a slap shot from Huskins from close range.
14:53 – Murray pops O’Sullivan with a decent hit at the blue line by the Sharks bench.
14:20 – O’Sullivan skates past Murray, goes to the backhand from Nabokov’s left, but Nabby makes the save.
2:51 – The Sharks generate a good chance, with Deslauriers down and out, but the Oilers collapse in front of the net and battle to keep the Sharks from getting a shot on a fairly wide open net.
1:39 – Roughness starts after the whistle. Staios roughs up Mitchell, throwing a gloved punch at him. Staios then drops his gloves with Leach. It is simple a wrestle match though as none get any punches off.
0:30 – Horcoff and Brule exchange good chances from in close, banging away at a loose puck, but can’t beat Nabakov.

POST-GAME RANT

Overall I’m going to say this was a decent game played by the Oilers, but this was clearly the case of a last place team playing a first place team. The Sharks out-skilled the Oilers tonight. Maybe not even that… their 4th liners out grinded our 4th liners, and their skill guys looked better than our skill line. They clearly just had a better team. Add to that, Deslauriers had a game completely opposite to the Calgary game. He looked very human in net, and let in a couple he shouldn’t have early on. That may have been the difference, getting the game off to a bad start.

Next game, Tuesday vs. the Coyotes on PPV @ 7:00 PM.

159 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers at San Jose Sharks – Jan 2, 2010 @ 8:00 PM – CBC – Game 42”

1. HockeyNoob says:

Hey Racki,

Good work on all the World Junior Stuff lately!

The Shark’s 87.4% PK almost looks like a typo, that’s just a crazy PK percentage! Good thing we didn’t pick up Malhotra instead of Comrie, right?

2. stanleyoil says:

3. Mr.Majestyk says:

the lineups from LowonOil have Ortmeyer player 3rd and 4th line. He must be the Tobey of the Sharks.

4. HockeyNoob says:

Oops, yeah I think McGinn’s on the 3rd line RW. I had written the post late last night after a few cold ones, lol.

HockeyNoob: Hey Racki,Good work on all the World Junior Stuff lately!The Shark’s 87.4% PK almost looks like a typo, that’s just a crazy PK percentage!Good thing we didn’t pick up Malhotra instead of Comrie, right?

Ungh…. seriously.. what was Tambellini thinking?!!? I’m happy with Comrie though. But they should have given up on Heatley much earlier than they did and signed Betts/Malhotra in addition to Comrie. Both would address needs. Too bad Comrie kisses too many girls and got mono!

stanleyoil: Blues have fired their coach Andy Murray and Davis Payne is on an interim basis.

Ya I heard that.. MacTavish should at least get an interview.

HockeyNoob: Oops, yeah I think McGinn’s on the 3rd line RW.I had written the post late last night after a few cold ones, lol.

Hahah, I’d make a horrible editor…

6. Horpensky says:

I’m still surprised our PP is 15th. We should be dead last. The Penguins are dead last for some reason.

Wow, I had no idea the Penguins were last! That makes no sense. Our PP seems pretty butt useless though most nights, doesn’t it? That one baffles me too. But I think it’s always been apparent this year that offense was never this team’s problem. Which is why dipshit’s successor should stop chasing guys like Heatley and go after the other players most of us have been suggesting! (namely complementary defensive players)

8. Mr.Majestyk says:

9. OilerTyler says:

This will be a rough game tonight, hopefully our boys are pissed off after that restaurant owner tried to scam them in Calgary and they take it out on the Sharks.

And on an unrelated note, I had a dream last night that Pouliot came back from injury and magically turned into a 20 goal/50 point player. Maybe Quinn can help him find his game when he does come back, lets hope!

I hate to be negative, but the Oilers should have been pissed off at Calgary the last game, and didn’t play at all like that. So I have pretty low expectations heading into tonight. I always enjoy being proven wrong in these cases though.

11. MetalOil says:

Another game and another day closer to landing Taylor Hall !!!

Mr.Majestyk: Penguins are last? Wow, thats just crazy. I guess I shouldn’t complain so much about our ‘dumb’ team. If all the offensive weapons on the Penguins can’t execute a PP, maybe I can give our guys a break.

Well it’s a bit easier to take from a PIT team since even with the worse PP% in the league, they are 6th in GF/game at 3.02. They certainly make up for it at EV.

Low expectations vs SJS, hoping to be pleasantly surprised (as I was in Nov), it’s a good test for JDD too. If it’s a high scoring affair at least I’ve got Heatley and Thornton in my pool. Weather is crappy here today, so I’ll just be happy if the power stays on so I can watch tonight.

13. Mr.Majestyk says:

My nephew is a Sharks fan. I hope this is him after tonights game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jakiqCPKyFU

14. MetalOil says:

Carolina beat the NYR 2-1 this afternoon so the gap for last place in the NHL has been closed to the 7 points between the Oil and the Canes. Come on Oil I know you can do it. Choke for Taylor baby!!! If the Canes end up beating us out on Taylor Hall then they will become one of my most hated teams cause then they will have screwed us over twice.

15. Mr.Majestyk says:

if you come in last do you automatically get first pick or are you just most likely to get first pick out of the lottery teams? With our luck, we’ll come in last and still not get the first pick.

Yah there is still the lottery. So technically we can finish 5th last and still get 1st overall.

Finishing 30th overall would still be good though because there are 2 supposedly elite players available this year (Tyler Seguin as well)

17. MetalOil says:

18. MetalOil says:

Mr.Majestyk: if you come in last do you automatically get first pick or are you just most likely to get first pick out of the lottery teams?With our luck, we’ll come in last and still not get the first pick.

Or we will get the first pick and then Hall will pull and Eric Lindros on us and refuse to play here.

MetalOil:

So long as we get the trade value after unloading him that Quebec did, I’d still be happy. :P

MetalOil: I don’t know enough about Seguin. Why didn’t he make the JR team? They way it looks to me is that Talyor Hall is miles above everyone else in the draft and I want him. Love his style of play!!!

20. MetalOil says:

Racki:
    So long as we get the trade value after unloading him that Quebec did, I’d still be happy. Good question. Apparently, ya, he didn’t have a good enough camp. He is pretty young still though. People talk about him though because he doesn’t have as good a supporting cast (apparently) as Hall does. But yah, I’d still go with Hall!

Maybe Hall and Seguin are both fairly equal talents but if Sequin could not crack the Jr team then that tells me he is not ready to step onto an NHL roster next season while Hall looks pretty close to being NHL ready and for that reason alone I would go with Hall. If the Oilers do get the number 1 pick then we need someone who can make an immediate impact on the club.

Yah I’m not putting too much stock in him not being good because of missing that line up. They are both (Hall and Seguin) young players, even for Juniors. As such, maybe it was an either/or thing. At any rate, I would definitely prefer to draft Hall. As for immediate impact, I think the Oilers need a lot more than a Hall or Seguin to fix this team. Realistically, those guys aren’t going to be impact players in year one. If we’re expecting them to be Tavares/Crosby right off the first year, that might be setting them up for failure. I mean, they may turn out that well, but I’d hate for fans to put too much pressure on a kid (although that is almost a given to happen).

Here I am talking like we’ve already drafted him! :lol:

I actually did a Lloyd Christmas thread on OMB. Nobody got it. Go figure. I don’t know why I bother with good material over there.

haha shit.. I’ll have to go try and track it down.

It’s called “Lloyd Christmas is an Oiler fan”

Just saw it.. and the Jim Mora video was a nice touch as well… I can never get enough of that vid! :lol:

Playoffs?!!

27. MetalOil says:

Win or lose I gotta give the swish Jr team credit for hanging with the Russians there goalie is playing incredible for them.

And they tie as I am writing this!!! Gotta love the underdogs!!! The Russians just got Eberlaid again :)

Oh good, someone else is actually watching that game :P

The Swiss just tied it up recently, and just in time too. Going to OT!

This would be a huge upset.

29. MetalOil says:

Racki: Oh good, someone else is actually watching that game
    The Swiss just tied it up recently, and just in time too. Going to OT!This would be a huge upset.

It has been a very entertaining game!!! Gotta get my hockey fix somewhere since the Oilers are too #*&$ in painful to watch :)

Just tuned in. Swiss are actually a good hockey country. One of the best Euro leagues to play in I’ve been told.

Man. That would have been sweet.

Wow, Jorg stickhandling in a phone booth…

33. MetalOil says:

chucker: Just tuned in. Swiss are actually a good hockey country.One of the best Euro leagues to play in I’ve been told.

I’ve always thought the Swiss and Germans were underrated teams in hockey. Both are generally known for having pretty frustrating defenses to play against.

MetalOil: So how do they determine which quarter final winning team plays what Semi Final bye team in the Jr tourney?

We play the winner of this game. Sweden plays the winner of Fin/USA. I posted the schedule here: http://puttingonthefoil.com/2010/01/wjhc-preliminary-round-wraps-up/

But just keep talking about it here ;)

36. MetalOil says:

MetalOil: hummm I don’t know if its a good thing or a bad thing if we play the Swiss in the Semi’s. Their goalie is unreal.

So is our PP. It cancels this out IMO.

The Swiss are a pretty hard working team too, so that doesn’t bode well either.

I’m of Russian heritage, but I’ll admit, I love when an underdog wins.. so I’m cheering for the Swiss.

I would have to think that if it goes to the shootout, the Swiss are in trouble though.

THAT WAS SO CLOSE.

Like Gord said, it looks like Russia is playing for the shootout..

HAHA… bad idea… they lose!

Wow… what an upset!

UNFUCKINGREAl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. MetalOil says:

oh man, so close !!!!! I expect a close game if the Swiss advace however ” close” when your playing Canada at the Jrs means a 5 goal game or fewer :)

THEY DID IT!!!!!

Neato Neederrider looks good or however you spell his name. :P

I’m impressed. Very impressed. What was with the Russians in the last minute of play?? They looked lazy and not trying for a win… they were clearly trying for a shootout.

lol @ Neato Neederrider

I’m not sure I’d want to put the best day of my life in my mouth….

Needa Nuddergoal and he got it

chucker: I’m not sure I’d want to put the best day of my life in my mouth….

hahaah Yah, I’m trying to think of the best day of my life, but I’d have to think I would probably catch something from it.

49. MetalOil says:

Can we trade the Oilers for the Swiss JR team???