Leafs/Flames pull off huge deal… Phaneuf to the Leafs

By , January 31, 2010 10:01 am
To Calgary Flames CGY
Name Pos Cap Hit Expires
Niklas Hagman LW $3.0M 2012 (UFA)
Matt Stajan C $1.75M 2010 (UFA)
Jamal Mayers RW $1.333M 2010 (UFA)
Ian White D $0.850M 2010 (RFA)
Cap total: $6.933M (-$0.317M)
To Toronto Maple Leafs TOR
Name Pos Cap Hit Expires
Dion Phaneuf D $6.50M 2014 (UFA)
Fredrik Sjostrom RW $0.750M 2011 (UFA)
Keith Aulie D ($0.733M*) 2012 (RFA)
Cap total: $7.25M* (+$0.317M)

* – Non-roster player on 2-way contract.

Difference in cap: $0.317M this year. However it looks like a long-term salary dump for them…:

TOR Toronto Maple Leafs
Name 2009-10 2010-11 2011-12 2012-13 2013-14
Phaneuf 6.5 6.5 6.5 6.5 6.5
Sjostrom 0.75 0.75 0 0 0
Aulie 0 0 0 0 0
Total 7.25 7.25 6.5 6.5 6.5
CGY Calgary Flames
Hagman 3 3 3 0 0
Stajan 1.75 0 0 0 0
Mayers 1.333 0 0 0 0
White 0.85 0 0 0 0
Total 6.933 3 3 0 0
Cap Change -$0.317M -$4.25M -$3.5M -$6.5M -$6.5M

Details available here.

Edit (done deal): The Leafs also orchestrated another trade, sending Toskala and Blake to the Ducks for Giguere. Good deal for the Leafs. Toskala’s contract expires this year and is a cap hit of $4M. Blake’s is a $4M cap hit and expires at the end of 2012. Giguere is a big goaltending upgrade, and his cap hit is $6M and expires at the end of 2011.

Edit2: In what is turning out to be a pretty busy day, it looks like the Flames will send Olli Jokinen and Brandon Prust to the New York Rangers. Possibly coming back is Ales Kotalik (for sure) and Chris Higgins (not sure on that one). This is per Darren Dreger of TSN. Busy guy today.

95 Responses to “Leafs/Flames pull off huge deal… Phaneuf to the Leafs”

1. Horpensky says:

Flames pick up Leafs garbage. At least we have SOMETHING to talk about now. This is exciting!

haha, what a crazy day. So early before the trade deadline too. How nice it must be to see your GM salvage the team so far ahead of schedule… :P

3. Haboiler says:

Racki: haha, what a crazy day. So early before the trade deadline too. How nice it must be to see your GM salvage the team so far ahead of schedule…

Thus my rant from last nite. Tambi needs to make a move, even a single move to show some life in the organization.

4. Horpensky says:

It’s nice to see something like this happen though instead of waiting for the trade deadline. Burke and Sutter got balls to make huge moves every year. 7 player deals are pretty rare nowadays.

I think Sutter was looking for more scoring depth with Hagman and Stajan, when right now they can’t score goals. Ian White could be more reliable than Dion on the defensive side. Mayers just wanted out.

Leafs on the other hand, Phaneuf was obviously the main piece. I guess his time was running out, Sutter was suppose to turn him around but again he couldn’t do anything.

Looks like a pretty good set of trades for the leafs so far especially if they did acquire Giguire too and the cap room doesn’t get affected too much. They traded away aprox 5.0mil cap space for 6.5 – 7.0mil in the Phaneuf deal (not very sure if that is the actual numbers though someone should double check). And the goalie trade would only put them up like 2 mil I think. This is only coming off the top of my head but it looks like the leafs went up only 3-4.0 mil?

Now they’re mentioning Beauchimen I think in the presser?

I’m going to calculate the cap change in a min… frantically trying to type up a better post than the garbo above. But just wanted a central place for us to talk about it. :P

7. DropIt says:

roughly 1 million dollars opening up to Calgary… that seems awful.

I hate this trade, Sutter better prove me wrong.

8. Horpensky says:

9. DropIt says:

presser at 230… I wouldnt mind Beauchemin. and then moving Sarich for someone …. changing Sarich and *sigh* Dion for those 2 back…. Salary would make it nice for the upcoming trade deadline

Horpensky: Also Toskola for JSG and Duck’s 1st rounder. I don’t care that JSG is making more money, but to trade the worst goalie in the NHL for a way better one AND a 1st rounder is just genius.

Yeah, I think that the Ducks maybe looking on the future for this one. Toskola’s contract is done at the end of the season, I know that but I can’t remember JSG’s contract how long it lasts, that’s maybe why they got a first rounder out of it. Haha I bet Leaf town is thinking they’re the new 06 Oilers, acquiring a decent back-up and getting a ‘elite’ defensmen or so says Burke.

Horpensky: Holy shit.. hadn’t heard the 1st rounder.. they got Giguere AND a 1st for Toskala???

DropIt: I would exactly say ‘garbage’ as hagman and stajan will help with the scoring woes.I wonder if there is another trade coming from Calgary… seeing as how we obtained 4 roster players and only lost 2roughly 1 million dollars opening up to Calgary… that seems awful.I hate this trade, Sutter better prove me wrong.

“Garbage” was in reference to the post I made, not the specifics of the deal. I was saying I’m trying to improve the look of my post so it doesn’t look like I threw it together in 2 mins (which I did :P)

13. DropIt says:

I was referring to Horpensky’s post…

14. DropIt says:

and im assuming the 1st is comensation in taking on that much salary…

Like Calgary did with Primeau when the sent him to Toronto…

16. Horpensky says:

DropIt: I was referring to Horpensky’s post…

At first it looks like Leafs spare parts, but a few posts later I mentioned that Stajan and Hagman give you guys some scoring depth, which is what you guys really need right now.

17. DropIt says:

ya, i just saw that….

and ya Racki, Its impressive to be naded a starting goalie and 1st rounder for nothing, just because another team is selling him

18. Horpensky says:

Racki: Well, consider me a fan of Brian Burke if he got a solid starter and a 1st rounder for nothing. That’s a pretty brilliant deal. Yes, Giguere is expensive, but he’s definitely an upgrade on Toskala. Of course, it is a risk to take him though, as Giguere might struggle. But good of him to get a first that isn’t his own.

All the stars aligned for Burke.

– You know Gustavsson will be the #1 guy one day, but being the rookie he still needs a decent veteran guy backing him up. Toskola wasn’t cutting it, and a veteran with only 1 more year after this year (although a bit expensive) on his contract is perfect.

– No secret that JSG wanted more playing time. With Gustavsson struggling, JSG will get his time in Toronto.

– Hiller signed a new contract yesterday, so that sealed the deal that JSG HAS to move. Burke probably negotiated that 1st round pick given the desperate situation the Ducks were in.

JASON Blake traded now for a first rounder, possibly…

(oops, brain fart)

20. Haboiler says:

Who would trade a 1st for Blake? either one lol.

HabOiler: Someone who is drafting 25th-30th.. maybe… and that’s a big maybe. lol But hey, he’s a former 40 goal scorer, I guess.

22. Horpensky says:

How the #@%! do you trade Jason Blake for a 1st? That’s like us being able to get a 1st for Shawn Horcoff cause he once had a 70 point season, and a really good half a season.

LOL Horpensky… too true. I can answer that though… you stop feeling sorry for yourself for the mess you got left, and let the groveling begin.

24. Haboiler says:

Giguere to Toronto for Toskala and Jason Blake – DD

25. Horpensky says:

Just in: JSG for Toskola + Jason Blake

I guess Anaheim isn’t as stupid as we think they were

So it sounds like the deal between the ducks is:

To Toronto:
    Giguere, 1st rounder

To Anaheim
    Toskala, Blake

OK so maybe that 1st rounder isn’t true… still waiting for more confirmation than DD’s twitter…

28. Horpensky says:

DD and TSN are the ultimate insiders, their word is LAW!

Oh no, I know their word is trustable… just he said a 1st was involved too. So perhaps he forgot it…. or perhaps its not even part of the deal.

Just want it on TSN’s page saying “Jiggy for …”

The last thing I read this morning before going out was to expect major changes in TO. I go out for less than 2 hours and all hell breaks loose. Wow. Hate Burke but at least he does stuff to spice things up.

Haven’t processed everything yet, but re the goalies Toskala for Giguere is a fair exchange of roles provided Jigger can get back to form. That’s a big if but a change in scenery might do that – edit plus it reunites him with his goalie coach. Jigger needs more playing time to be effective and he wasn’t going to get that with Hiller re-upped for 4 years.

Toskala is a backup. He can play well after sitting a while but he can only maintain that play for a few games. So he should do well spelling Hiller when needed, plus he’ll have less pressure on him.

OK, and they’ve officially said it on TSN.ca ;) No first rounder.

32. DropIt says:

Im dead serious when i say, that this Flames deal better get Calgary into the WCF this year. or i will be PISSED

I still think Burke bent Murray over the table. Good deal for the Leafs.

DropIt: Im dead serious when i say, that this Flamers deal better get Calgary into the WCF this year. or i will be PISSED

Pray that there is another deal out there, I guess.

Any info on Aulie? He’s a pretty big kid, that’s all I know.

And this scouting report, which sounds good:
    Assets
    Has an incredible frame and tons of physical upside, since he’s expected to eventually fill out. Displays all-around ability.
    Flaws
    Needs to improve his coordination, game-to-game consistency and defensive-zone coverage in order to make an impact in the pros.
    Career Potential
    Mammoth rearguard with all-around potential.

35. MetalOil says:

So Darren Millard says the Oil will know the extent today, but Souray’s hand is BROKEN.

Also, here’s the cap change with Ducks/Leafs:

2009-10: Leafs shed $2M (essentially)
    2010-11: Leafs add $2M
    2011-12: Leafs shed $4M

They get the best player in the deal (imho) AND shed salary… he’s a dick, but that was a pretty smart move.

38. Horpensky says:

MetalOil: Wow All that I see in these trades is a bunch of Highly paid Underachievers moving to new teams. It is going to be tough to know who wins these deals but you gotta think that some of these players will turn their games around with the fresh starts that they will be getting. What a interesting way to wake up today. It feels like TDD.

Someone tell the GM’s you don’t need to wait for trade deadline to make trades

gr8one: C’mom Tambi, hold a presser and tell how how impossible trades are to get done nowadays!!!

ROFL! Sooooo needed to be said. I’m getting tired of people making excuses for our GM as well too.

40. MetalOil says:

Racki:

No doubt. Last night the final straw was broken for me with the Oilers. I am still devastated and that 6-1 pounding hurt. Maybe we should just keep the status quo, suck balls for another 3 years and stockpile high draft picks. I seems to be worse in Edmonton than I had originally thought.

41. Horpensky says:

Just listened to the Dion presser, he sounded really emotional and sad to be leaving (very weird coming from Dion). After listening to that, I really don’t think he asked to be traded.

“I’m happy to go to a team that wants me.” Sounds like he’s really felt his time ran out with the Flames.

wow gonna kinda miss the guy in this division, he was so much fun to hate.

MetalOil:

Honestly, that to me is the only reason he isn’t making deals. And we’d never really know it. I’ve never bought that it’s that hard to make a deal in the NHL these days. Yes, OK… it’s not that simple, but other teams seem to be proving him wrong here and there. Plus, again, there is always waivers.

But I’ll reiterate that I’m fine with them staying the course until deadline to ensure the tank is complete.

McGuire reminds us that Olli Jokinen and Nik Hagman have played together before. So maybe trying to find some chemistry for him.

44. MetalOil says:

I gotta give Burke credit for finding a taker for Jason Blake.

Not to mention Toskala…

And getting a potential starter in return to help with his goaltending issues. (stress on potential)

And we sit and do nothing. Burke was right about this team. Sorry to be a downer, but if he can trade his junk for this, why can’t we and why are we not doing it?

Burke pulls it out of the fire once again. Dion, BWahahhahahaha! I wonder now if they will be going for Kovy…..

47. MetalOil says:

Ya Chucker, scary thought that the Flames may have Kovalchuk. Hopefully he stays out East.

But yes, just another reminder of how “hard it is to make trades in the NHL today”. Hard, I’m sure.. but evidently not THAT hard.

MetalOil: If I was a leaf fan I would still be steaming about that Kessel trade. That was a major mistake for a rebuilding team to make. It would not be all that different from the Oilers trading their 1st rounder for say Tomas Vanik or someone else comparable to Kessel. Burke really overestimated his Leafs potential for these next two years thinking the picks would be mid 1st rounders and not top 3’s. He is merely trying to save face/or his job now.

Well, they definitely improved their team for the short-term today, anyways. But yah, perhaps they’re following in Edmonton and New York’s footsteps.

50. DropIt says:

Racki:
    Aulie is a solid defender… and ALOT of Flame fans were unhappy he was included. He was part of the shutdown group with Meyers when Canada won the gold medal in the world juniors

It was being speculated that Dion was not traded for a ‘shak-up’ but rather for speculated off ice attitudes…. Ive still got the jury out on this trade, as alot of other fans are seemingly ‘coming around to it’

Burke did well today, and I guess it will either be a Gilmour-esque trade for Calgary, or it could be a “wow, Daryll was a genious” move when we take a look back… Im still a little sick to my stomach