WJHC GDT – Canada 5, USA 4 (SO) – Dec. 31, 2009 @ 6:00PM – Game 4

Canada vs. USA
Game 4 of the WJHC Prelimary Round
Canada Record: 3-0-0
USA Record: 3-0-0
Date: December 31 @ 6:00 PM MST
TV: TSN

This should be the first real test for Canada. Are the Americans up to the challenge though? I think this should be a pretty exciting and physical game. So it’ll be tough to switch over to the Oilers game to watch the BoA part 2 (for the week). But thankfully, through the miracle of PVR, I can watch both games.. just not live.

And remember… the chant is “GO CANADA GO!”, not “Eh, oh Canada Go”. Don’t bow down to Pepsi!

logo EDMONTON OILERS PROSPECT WATCH
Player Team G A PTS +/-
Jordan Eberle 3 5 8 +3
Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson 2 6 8 +5
Anton Lander 2 2 4 +3
Toni Rajala 1 2 3 +1
Teemu Hartikainen 2 1 3 0

15 Responses to “WJHC GDT – Canada 5, USA 4 (SO) – Dec. 31, 2009 @ 6:00PM – Game 4”

hear hear, fuck pepsi

i swear, every time they try to start that stupid chant people should just drown it out with a good old fashioned canada chant

i’ll be embarrassed that canadian identity can be bought by a corporation (moreso than molson already has) if this thing takes off

Who planned the Battle of Alberta alongside the Battle of North America, btw?

3. Horpensky says:

Anyone see MPS’s end to end rush and goal? Wowww

watching Sweden vs Finland atm, MPS just scored an amazing end to end goal, man that fuckers fast, he picked the puck up in his own end around the left facoff dot with a full head of steam, and literally just blew through all of team Finland and rifled it top shelf from just outside the hash marks in Finland’s zone.

probably top goal of the tourny.

I’m salivating over having him and Eberle.

Eberle Hall MPS

^yes plz.

Hartkainen(sp?) just scored for finland too, but I missed it while writing that^

6. dawgtoy says:

8. MetalOil says:

Horpensky: Anyone see MPS’s end to end rush and goal? Wowww

Damn, no.. I guess I’ll have to look for the highlights. I honestly have been skeptical of him. But that is definitely pretty good to hear, the way gr8one described it.

dawgtoy: Certainly enjoying watching the future of the Edmonton Oilers at the WJHC. Hall would be the icing on the cake. And as for the Canada chant, as long as we are loud and proud, I don’t care what the fans are saying.

Good point about the chant ;) I just don’t like the idea, myself, of a corporation doing something like that to earn money.. but definitely a good point! Welcome to the Foil, btw.

Bostonoiler: Eberle has been great this WJC. MPS on the other hand has just blown me away. I can’t wait for him to be an Oiler, same with Eberle. Hartikkan(sp) and Rajala(sp) and Lander will help out too. The future is bright. I can’t wait.

To be honest, until today’s goal (which I haven’t seen) MPS hadn’t done much yet to impress me. I mean, he is obviously good… but he kind of blended in on Team Sweden, for me.

MetalOil: If it wasn’t for all of these young players on the horizon then it would be much tougher then it already is to be an Oiler fan right now These prospects leave me with some hope about the team that we may be able to ice in 2-4 years time.

Exactly. Definitely very comforting knowing whats coming.

10. dawgtoy says:

I just love that the country unites to cheer on their beloved Canadians. If a corporate giant can help develop a chant the likes of which the Americans or the Aussies have, I’m in. Agreed though that the whole sponsor thing gets tremendously overblown. Look at the rediculous ads that the Swedes and Finns wear on their visors…just brutal.

Dawgtoy: Yah, those european jerseys/gear are definitely uglified by all the advertising on them. I’m sure they need the advertising to help keep those leagues afloat and competitive, but really, it would be nice if they’d just stick to advertising on the boards.

Hell, even the Enmax powerplay we used to have during PPVs (which would drive me nuts) looks good compared to those jerseys.

12. dawgtoy says:

Agreed 100% Racki.

I wonder if some bad blood from last year will spill over. Wasn’t it the Can vs. USA game where the cheering got a bit out of hand and someone stuck a stick in a players face from the bench?

Can’t remember if that was USA vs Russia or Canada vs. USA.. I think it was Canada vs. USA. From what I recall, it spurred with the Americans making ridiculous over the top goal celebrations, and then what I think was the Canadians giving it back later as we were winning. And when one of the Canadians (again, I think) skated by the bench after a goal, the American put his stick in the path and a bit o’ the rough stuff ensued afterwards.

Americans are playing quite good so far. Outplaying Canada.

those of you looking for chatter about the gold medal game, look here instead: http://puttingonthefoil.com/2010/01/wjhc-gdt-canada-vs-usa-jan-5-2010-600pm-mst-gold-medal-greatness

This thread is from the preliminary round.