Trade Rumor Sunday – 2009-12-20

By , December 20, 2009 11:14 am
Blogger tip #32: When you can't find a relevant pic, resort to lol cats.

Blogger tip #32: When you can't find a relevant pic, resort to lol cats.

Well, time for this Sunday’s rumors. As always, these trades aren’t meant to be directed towards the Oilers, necessarily.

Rumor 1: We’ll kick things off with a rumor involving Edmonton, however. According to Bruce Garrioch, Tambellini is trying to shake the roster up, but running into difficulties due to bad contracts. This should come as a surprise to no one. Names said to be being shopped are Souray, Visnovsky and Horcoff. These guys do have some value, but I’d still like to see some other names being wheeled around: O’Sullivan, Gilbert, Nilsson, to name a few.

Rumor 2: According to the Boston Herald, the B’s are looking for some help in scoring. This could be an opportunity for the Oilers to move a struggling forward, if the Bruins are willing to take a gamble. According to the article, they have $2 million in free space. So perhaps moving someone like O’Sullivan for some size could work.

Rumor 3: The Flyers are still rumored to be shopping Carter. In fact, apparently Montreal was trying to offer Halak in return. If that’s all it takes to get Halak (which it isn’t – the Flyers weren’t interested in Halak), then Tambellini better be getting on the phone and offering up whatever it takes. Just the fact that he’s available should be enough for a phone call.

Other tidbits:
- Vincent Lecavalier’s name is being brought up, but this is nothing new.
- The Hurricanes also are still shopping veterans, including Ray Whitney, who does have a no trade clause, however, as well as a high price tag.
- The Islanders are likely going to try to move Martin Biron, once DiPietro is back, according to Spector’s Hockey. Spector’s speculates the Montreal Canadiens as a possible destination for Biron.
- Spector’s Hockey also suggests that Avalanche defenseman John-Michael Liles may be available as well (note, I don’t consider Liles to be a player the Oilers need, however).

If I’m the Oilers GM, I’m not going after the big names or the savvy vets now (such as Whitney). The Oilers have dug themselves into a pretty deep hole. And while it is possible to dig themselves out, I don’t see anything better than 9th at this point. There doesn’t seem to be any quit in Tambellini, so I don’t see him giving up on the season at this point, however. But as before, I’d like Oilers to unload the big contracts any way they can. Trim the fat some more. The return likely won’t be that good, but really, the goal here is to free up room for other potential contracts, not get equal value in return (as nice as that would be). This idea is nothing new though, even though the 5 game winning streak may have distracted us all from this thought for a bit.

EDIT: Btw, the Christmas roster freeze runs from today until a couple of days after Christmas, so don’t expect any deals to happen at the moment.

10 Responses to “Trade Rumor Sunday – 2009-12-20”

1. Horpensky says:

Rumors have always been swirling around the league, but realistically, how many trades has there been? One? Most trades don’t happen until the deadline. All GM’s want the season to evaluate where the team is before making any moves. Even if a team like Carolina is epically failing, no teams want their dumps.

I don’t see anything happening until the deadline.

Since the cap has been put in we have seen very little movement. I find it to be a monumental task to move any contract worth 5 million or more in this environment, especially with term still on it.

Tambo will have a tough enough time trying to move guys like POS, Moreau and Staios let alone those three huge contracts. He will be able to move them, but I don’t know who has cap space to fit these guys in. The returns will also be low, but we need to clean up the mess that Lowe made before we can do anything. I feel for Tambo.

Which teams actually have space to take these guys on and are they teams willing to spend higher than they are?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/ Found it. Doesn’t look promising.

my 2¢

you can’t trade horcoff or khabibulin…just not possible. you also can’t trade moreau or staios, not in the new cap world (how many teams are trying to reach the cap floor anymore?)

visnovsky and souray are trade-able, but you need to be taking equal amount of salary back to make it work

5. Horpensky says:

A lot of teams that jumped on the ‘spend to the cap right away and we’ll be contenders’ are in trouble right now (us, Rangers, Habs).

Horpensky: A lot of teams that jumped on the ’spend to the cap right away and we’ll be contenders’ are in trouble right now (us, Rangers, Habs). A team like Nashville has gone 22-4-2 since October 24th. And they still have $13 million cap space left. They are definitely one of the best bang for buck team out there because I’m sure they have a self imposed cap and the GM doesn’t go crazy spending money. Also because of the market they’re in, nobody cares if the GM doesn’t go big game hunting.

Exactly. You could say the same about Phoenix and the Isles. Lots of cap room, but they are unlikely to use it because of self imposed caps. Who would have though that the salary cap would one day be a limitatiion to the Oilers? Vis and Souray are likely the only players teams will take on at this point because they are good. Moreau and Staios, I pray, will be of interest at the deadline. Getting salary back seeems the only solution, and I have to think that we will not be getting much in the way of expiring contracts with the value of cap room likely more valuable than players in some teams’ payrolls.

7. Greg says:

only guy I could see having value this year was Hemsky. He looks good (kind of a “teaser” in that he appears to do well, but is NEVER going to make it into the league’s premier players… -although he appears to have the talent to do it, his attitude is not the kind that makes for a star. -ever seen Lemieux, Gretz, Ovechkin, or ANY NHL star consistently be showered and out of the arena before all the team is even off the practice ice???)

now that his trade’s off the table, I doubt we’ll see any moves from the Oil. Best they could hope to do at this point is “aim at 9th” and mess up their draft picks yet again. They need to either be in or out – after years of being on the bubble, we’ve not had a lot of chance at top prospects. Give up already, it ain’t gonna happen this year.

It’d be great to unload a contract like Horc’s. He’s not a bad player, but his has to be among the worst in the league – no way anyone is touching that… bring up more rookies, get some experience in, watch them drop in the standings and hopefully draft well. Hate to say it, but this year is over. (Man, would I love to be wrong, but I have to be realistic at this point. We’ve been “rebuilding” since the mid 90′s. Let’s put an end to it and get things going again.)

Lowe’s crappy deals and ridiculous ‘if we pay them more, they’ll play better’ contracts are almost behind us. Let’s get on with it – let the new management have a go and see what can actually happen.

The new management hasn’t shown signs of improvement just yet, care of the Khabi signing. But there’s still time to salvage things.

I am going to go against the grain and say that Staios and Moreau each do have a bit of value at the trade deadline, but it’s more likely to be next years than this year, unless they’re thrown into another deal with a bigger name player (Cogliano, O’Sullivan, top 4 d-man, etc.).

But I do agree that any cash we give up will be coming back in the form of someone else.

As far as Horcoff, yes his contract is bad value, but I still think he’s a valuable component to the team. The guy is playing better than a lot of players on the team, with one bad arm. It sucks that he’ll need surgery again. That all could take a toll on him like it seems to have with Moreau. I hope not though.

I can see it being a tough next few years unless the GM (Tambellini or otherwise) bites the bullet and forgets about signing those long term, big dollar contracts. If this team is going to eventually be re-building, we can’t be signing Khabibulin contracts or giving guys big pay raises for one year of performance (unless its a 1 or 2 year deal).

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    O’Sullivan-Horcoff-Stone
    Cogliano-Brule-Comrie
    Stortini-Nilsson-Potulny
    JFJ

Souray-Gilbert
    Vishnovsky-Smid
    Staios-Grebeskov
    Peckham

Khabibulin
    JDD

10. pharsyde says:

Bostonoiler: Racki, question for you my man. How many more years do you think the Oilers will be out of the playoffs for? I really think we would have made it this year if healthy….Hate to blame it on that but I really think with everyone healthy we are a pretty good fucking team.Penner-Gagner-HemskyO’Sullivan-Horcoff-StoneCogliano-Brule-ComrieStortini-Nilsson-PotulnyJFJSouray-GilbertVishnovsky-SmidStaios-GrebeskovPeckhamKhabibulinJDDThis same team was great at the start of the season. I really think this lineup could get us the 5-8 seed. This lineup as 6-2-1 then injuries showed up. You almost have to blame the season on injuries. Guys that no one thought would see anytime this season played (I.E. Arsene, O’Marra, Chorney, McDonald) Last night I said re-build, but I’m split. I think we have a playoff team here. Tambi was right when he said he thought we could make the playoffs. I think we give this lineup a shot next year. I think Tambi knows what he is doing, and will make the right moves. Its will be an interesting rest of the season, and VERY interesting off season. Just sit back relax and watch this team either stay the course and make the playoffs next year (Or maybe this year but I doubt it, still a shit load of hockey left), re-build and maybe win a cup soon, or see Tambi make a shit load of moves and re-shape this team……again. BTW I gotta stop with these long posts lol

Playoff team…yeah. If everyone plays out of their mind a la Dustin Penner we’ve got a playoff team. But no higher than 6th-7th. We saw what happened last night against a cream of the crop team. Yes, we’re missing our most talented player and our number one goalie, but we just don’t stack up with the great teams (San Jose, Washington, Pittsburgh, Chicago, hell even Calgary).

You bring up an interesting point about the beginning of the year. Yeah, we were off to a scorching start, but we were not playing superb hockey by any means. Outshot every game by a 10+ margin, meaning the Bulin wall likely stole a bunch of games for us. We’re scrappy, but when it comes down to playoff time, we’re simply outmatched against the higher ranked teams in the conference.

Jonathan Willis over at OilersNation had a pretty interesting article after last nights loss, stating that when we’re throwing out a checking line consisting of Horcoff, O’Sullivan and Stone against Ovechkin and co., what chance do we really have? We don’t have the depth or the drive/desire/testicles to battle with the best teams out there.

So while I agree with you that on paper we’re a playoff team, we’re bound for first round exits like it’s the 90s again.

I’m not suggesting blow up the team. But we need help. Everyone can see that.