Trade rumor Sunday – 2009-12-13

By , December 13, 2009 9:00 am
The other way to follow up a Saturday night

The other way to follow up a Saturday night

Well what better way to follow a Saturday night than with some trade rumors. I think I’m going to make this a regular occurrence. Especially if juicy rumors keep coming up every weekend.

Anyways, here they are (and no, not all of these are suggestions for Oilers trades). There seems to be a heavy goaltender theme in this weeks edition.

Rumor 1: Habs are taking offers on Halak. Personally, I’ve always liked Halak. Is he better than Deslauriers? Tough to say, especially right now. But I think the biggest problem for him, is being second fiddle to Price. The Canadiens are looking for offensive help, in return. Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but I’ll throw out a suggestion of O’Byrne + Halak for O’Sullivan + Deslauriers (not sure if they can swallow that much extra cap though, even with Markov’s LTIR). Of course that could be a good way to sink the team right now if Halak can’t hold the fort while Khabi is hurt. But I think Halak is better than he appears. I think until he gets enough starts, it will be hard to know what he can do though… so he’s definitely a big risk.

Rumor 2: The Flyers are shopping for offensive help. This one is a bit of a no brainer. Gagne won’t be out or much longer though, so that should help them, when he returns. The article also suggests that they are looking for goaltending help, possibly.

Rumor 3: Panthers shopping Voukon. He’s got 2 years left at a $5.7M cap hit, so that’s a pretty ugly hit. Good luck to the Panthers with that.

Rumor 4: Thrashers shopping one of their goalies. Spector’s suggests it will be Lehtonen, when he returns from injury. More reason to really dislike the Khabibulin contract. Love that we signed him, however.. ohhh, I’m just beating a dead horse here.

Other tidbits: The Islanders are rumored to be shopping around for a “mobile experienced d-man”. Rumors are circulating about Vinny Lecavalier again, although nothing really substantial. Brind’amour was a healthy scratch on Monday. Rumors have been going around that his days in Carolina may be nearing a close.

23 Responses to “Trade rumor Sunday – 2009-12-13”

Brind’Amour? He’s been atrocious. Big cap hit too. Good luck Carolina.

I have a feeling they might waive him… but teams don’t waive captains, do they? :P

3. Horpensky says:

Rumor 1: Well I’ve always liked Halak too, but despite how terrible Price has played, they gave Price every opportunity to play himself out of his funk. There is no way they keep both, and they all love Price. The only way I can see it working is maybe give JDD for Halak (they like their French Canadiens too right?). Except I don’t know how much more of an upgrade Halak would be given the way JDD has played. I’d rather not take on the extra cap hit though as Halak would be looking for a #1 starter contract.

Rumor 2: If they’re looking for a goalie… why not go and grab Halak! I also don’t think they need any goal scoring forwards, they need their players to play to their potential. Though Richards and Carter are the top of their team, they’re capable of much better production.

Rumor 3: Would you trade Khabi for Vokoun? We take on more cap hit for a few years, but shorten the length…

Rumor 4: Seems like goalies aren’t a hot commodity nowadays.

Horp, I would definitely trade Khabi for Vokoun, but that’s just because I think the length of Khabi’s contract is moronic. And your comment for #4 is exactly why it’s moronic (what was Tambellini thinking??). I would definitely love to shorten the length, even though Vokoun makes a lot.

If I were the Flyers, yes, it would make complete sense to go after Halak. Maybe even Lehtonen if they could free up that kind of cash.

As for the Flyers’ offense, I think the implication is that, they just need a shake up of some sort (not that a coaching change isn’t a big shake up).

I honestly think Vokoun is one of the best goalies in the world, maybe not top 5, but somewhere in the 5-10 range, nobody notices how good he really is because he plays for the panthers.

gr8one – I agree with you on Vokoun – year in, year out he is usually one of the highest in terms of shots faced per game and his stats are usually solid. Put him on a contending team and people would notice. Roli, another under-rated goalie, was right at the top with him in terms of shots faced last season. I would definitely love Vokoun on the Oilers but at a lower pricetag.

Racki – I know you have a man-crush on Lehtonen from previous conversations back on the OMB, and when healthy he’s good, but man he’s missed a ton of time, just seems so fragile. Post-lockout – two back surgeries within months, two lengthy groin injuries, those types of injuries linger and recur – 114 games and counting! He’s missed more time than Khabi with his injuries and he’s only ever had one healthy NHL season. I just don’t know if I would take a chance on him – he’s got Dipietro type question marks written all over him but at least his contract reflects the risk, unlike DiPietro’s.

All in all I really think we are stuck with Khabi’s contract for at least 2 more years – that’s how long I think it will be before another team would consider trading for him, and that’s if he can stay healthy – and his track record does not support that. This is his 3rd back injury within 3 years, I would bet he is going to take longer and longer to recover and get back up to speed. The guy’s been gone a month and is only 25% better.

Re the Flyers – oh they’re good in the goaltending dept – I mean they just signed John Grahame to an AHL tryout contract. Surely he and Boucher can hold the fort until Emery comes back…(insert sarcasm smiley here). Although I have seen Boucher look all-worldly in a couple games so far this season…but Graham’s probably never recovered from the way Torts treated him in Tampa – in fact there were allegations of alcoholism by his KHL team if you believe Wikipedia.

And the Isles need help on D but they really don’t have a whole lot to trade for help. Apparently ‘he who shall not be named’ had them trying to deal for Phaneuf the end of last week. I can only see that happening if the Flames were trying to dump cap for a bigger player for the playoff run i.e. Vinny…

Halak I like but he’s at that crossroads – could be boon or bust in a more demanding role.

Brind’amour should have retired after the Canes cup win. Could have gone out on top.

Good points LNOF! And again, this thread isn’t specific to Edmonton.. so not suggesting any Oilers deals from this (although I wouldn’t mind the Oil deal I suggested with Montreal at all as it addresses another need.. but I can’t see that happening anyways).

I agree with those who would trade Khabi for Vokoun. Vokoun is a beast. He faces tonnes of shots on crappy teams and still has great numbers. On a good team, like he was in Nashville before they exploded, he’s very good. I’d take the extra hit for him. I like Khabbi, but four years was unforgivable and his health is an issue as LNOF has pointed out. I’d rather have another solid vet who is less injury prone at this point.

I’m eating some crow here because I wanted Khabbi, but he’s been a terrible signing so far and no sign of long term improvement.

Racki: See I don’t see any issue in picking up Khabibulin… I think it was a great pick up… it’s just the contract is plain awful. Four years at that price is insanity (it’s mainly the years that is the bad part though). If Khabi makes it the distance, I’d be surprised. I can’t see him being moved anywhere, as I think there’s very few GMs in the league that would take on that contract.Despite his injury pronededness (pretend that’s a word), I am happy he’s on the team. But for 4 years? Yikes. By comparison, Roli for one more year would have been far, far, far better an idea. And as some of you, I’m not much of a Roli fan.

Don’t get me wrong, I was a fan of Khabbi coming here too, but his deal is bad. Two years should have been the max. I like him when he plays, but health is obviously a concern.

Given the choice between the two, I’d take Vokoun over Khabbi as much as I like Khabbi. Vokoun has been a proven gamer for a long time and can play 65+ games. Hopefully Khabbi rehabs his back and it’s not an issue.

What do you guys think it would take from our side to land him?

His cap hit is 5M. His highest goal total came last year (46 goals at age 24, which is impressive as hell). He’s a big kid at 6’3 and ~200lbs.

Racki: So the Sun is saying that Jeff Carter is rumored as available (not the first time I’ve heard this lately).
    What do you guys think it would take from our side to land him?His cap hit is 5M. His highest goal total came last year (46 goals at age 24, which is impressive as hell). He’s a big kid at 6′3 and ~200lbs.Really, I know we’re big on hanging on to our prospects, but I don’t think there’s anyone I’d prefer over Carter.
    I hate suggesting ideas, because mine are never realistic. lol But I’d say Gagner + Grebeshkov or Gilbert + Pick for Carter + Coburn or Tollefson.You guys are going to hate me for suggesting Gagner in a trade, but really, we’re talking about landing an already established star player.Btw, I think its a little unbelievable that Carter would be available, but I’m humoring the rumor.

i heard the rumor from a flames fan, but it was souray for carter

Uh, done… as much as I like Souray. Although Souray would have to agree to the deal. Better ask him when he’s back in Edmonton and it’s Minus thirty-fucking-too-cold.

I’d do that deal. I bet the Flyers would too. Souray would likely agree to go there I’m thinking as well.

15. Horpensky says:

holy fuck, Souray for Carter in a second.

my following thought isn’t based on anything other than perhaps my own wishful thinking.

Spezza is a big Center that is awesome a faceoffs and capable of 100 point seasons, is still young and in my personal opinion will live up to his salary for the duration of his contract.

but he is having a horrible year so far in Ottawa and Mike Fisher really seems to be emerging as an offensive threat.

this can’t help me to wonder if he might be considered more expendable, and also at a lower price since his season has started so bad.

we know Ottawa likes Cogs, and they could use a puck moving D, so I wonder if they’d go for Cogs+Gilbert. I’ve also heard that Ottawa love Horcoff as well, so that might be a way to unload his contract too. maybe Cogs+Gilbert+Horcoff for Spezza+ Volchenkov

Penner Spezza Hemsky/Brule

would be a pretty fucking insane first line I think.

anyways, just a thought.

gr8one: …I’ve also heard that Ottawa love Horcoff as well, so that might be a way to unload his contract too. maybe Cogs+Gilbert+Horcoff for Spezza+ Volchenkov Penner Spezza Hemsky/Brulewould be a pretty fucking insane first line I think. anyways, just a thought.

Spezza would be nice but I think what would be even nicer for us is if we could snag Volchenkov.

Honestly, that’s just wishful thinking.

If Murray gave up Spezza+Volchenkov for Cogs, Gilbert and Horcoff, I think fans would be sending him death threats. lol

But I can say I’d love that deal, as an Oil fan!

Horpensky: Star player hunting again? I thought we established we shouldn’t go big game hunting! I still think Souray’s contribution as a leader would bring us much more than what Carter would do. If we got him then we would need to rework the lines to accomodate Carter. And who knows the team might go into a mess if Souray is traded.

Honestly, I do agree that big game hunting is a bad idea, however let’s be realistic here…

Carter would be a fantastic long-term player here (assuming he was re-signed in two years when he’s RFA) and satisfies two needs on this team – a goal scorer, and size.

I really like Souray though, and Steve-O will tell you that I’ve always a supporter, since the day he was signed. But if that deal is out there, the Oil would be dumb not to do it. Guys like Carter are a rare talent.

Btw, Spezza hurt his leg (or ankle or something) tonight. Not helping his start at all.

yeah, I know the whole Spezza thing was wishful thinking on my part, even with his value being at an all time low…which would make it even more unlikely for the Sens to trade him I guess.

anyways…I honestly the more I think about it the more I have to think that there really isn’t a more perfect fit for the Oilers than Jeff Carter.

bah, I hate rumors like this that get me all excited at the possibilities!

It was more the Volchenkov part I found unrealistic. I am pretty sure that the Sens really like him and have no intent on moving him, but stranger things have happened. And well, that was a couple of years ago that I know they had a big raging one for him. Things may have changed.

Btw, Spezza’s injury is actually a knee injury:

23. Horpensky says:

I always wanted Volchenkov. I thought trading Grebs for Volchenkov would have been good since the Sens needed some puck movers back then (though they have an overabundance of them now). Either way, he’s UFA at the end of this season, so maybe we should target the A-Train in the offseason if he isn’t re-signed.