Trade rumor Sunday – 2009-12-06

By , December 6, 2009 12:19 pm
Not all the pics here are relevant... but at least they can be funny

Not all the pics here are relevant... but at least they can be funny

So the Fourth Period has brought a few trade rumors to my attention that I figured I’d share. Most of these are based on reports from the Ottawa Sun. Take them all with a grain of salt, of course, like any trade rumor, but here they are…

Rumor 1: The Oilers are trying to deal Sheldon Souray. Of course, he has a no-trade clause, so he’d have to approve any trade. Wouldn’t it be an interesting situation if a player refused to LEAVE Edmonton? I can’t say I like the idea of trading Souray. His grit and leadership would be extremely hard to replace. But let’s face it, he’s one of our two most easily movable and most valuable assets (Visnovsky of course being the other).

The paper also brings back the old rumor with Montreal, in that the Oilers were reportedly interested in the Kostitsyns, and also that Andrew Cogliano was being shopped. Andrei Kostitsyn would be a decent pick up, if cheap. The only reason I’d want to see that deal happen though would be to drop salary. Aside from that, I’m not interested in the two. These same rumors have suggested Ryan O’Byrne would be coming this way as well, and he is something the team can use – a big, bruising defenseman. I’m not sure how anxious the Habs are to part with him, however. But a lesser deal sending him this way would be good to see.

Rumor 2: The Rangers are doing some shopping. Sather is said to be actively looking around for players to help his club (well, duh). Apparently they are interested in Vancouver’s Pavol Demitra (currently on LTIR, so he’d have to be back first before that could happen). Not sure how much potential there is for the Oilers, but I’ll leave that open for speculation in the comments.

Rumor 3: The Panthers have contacted every team in the league to make a deal. The Panthers are starting to hit desperation mode, as they’re sitting near the basement of the Eastern conference. Apparently the Panthers aren’t shopping Horton… too bad, because he would be a decent player to pick up and we could finally stop writing up trade suggestions to land him.

Rumor 4: Blue Jackets are looking for a steady, reliable defenseman. One rumored name in this deal that the Jackets were interested in is Aaron Ward. Perhaps a similar suggested replacement would be “Steady” Steve Staios? Now, if that deal did go down, the Oilers would definitely need to seek a replacement for Staios. See: O’Byrne suggestion earlier (although he is not consistent, I like what he brings and his potential), as well as the next rumor suggestion. Who would we want in return? I’ll leave that to speculation as well, but I’d be fine with a later pick for Staios, if a deal is lined up elsewhere.

Rumor 5: The Canucks are shopping O’Brien. O’Brien’s an RFA at the end of the year, but his contract is decent at $1.6M. He brings a physical brand of hockey (as we’ve seen first hand). Intradivisional trades very rarely happen though, so I can’t see us acquiring him, but I’ll throw it out there anyways.

Rumor 6: The Hurricanes are looking to move their vets. Rumored names are: Scott Walker, Ray Whitney, Niclas Wallin and Aaron Ward. Each of these players in the final year of their contracts, and all but Ward have no-trade clauses (so of course they’d have to agree to the trade). Whitney, even at his age, would probably be a good fit. However, the Canes are looking to drop salary, and that makes it pretty difficult for us to deal with them.

Anyways, there they are… have at ‘er in the comments. My thoughts up front, the Oilers need some help defensively. They need someone with size who can shutdown opponents. They also need to drop some salary. One other thing to mention is that the Islanders are willing to spend some money right now to strengthen the team. There is potential out there, although its pretty uncommon for any big deals to happen at this time. Speculate away.

30 Responses to “Trade rumor Sunday – 2009-12-06”

Some more rumors, from Spector’s Hockey…. the Predators are likely to be shopping Dan Hamhuis, as he could become a UFA July 1st, and it sounds like he won’t fit within their budget. Also, Vinny Lecavalier is struggling right now, and thus will be the subject of rumors. He has a no-trade clause though… doubtful he’d be jumping at the opportunity to come here. Lastly, the Hawks recent contract extension spree has created speculation that they’re going to need to shop some other players, due to not being able to afford them. Names rumored are: Patrick Sharp, Cam Barker, and Brent Sopel.

2. Horpensky says:

Do you guys update on Twitter anymore? That’s when I usually know there’s a new post here rather than going to the site everyday to check.

Anyways…
    Rumor 1: I’d say no to the Kotstitsyns. They seem to bring a lot of baggage with them and terrible attitudes. Not to mention sending Cogs their way, a kid with a great attitude and wants to be here.

Rumor 2: I still think Sather is an idiot for signing Drury, Gomez, Redden, and Rosival to those ridiculous contracts. Good thing they dumped one of them to a gullible team. If anything he should be looking at dumping one of these for a cheaper, more effective replacement. No to helping Slats do this.
    PS: I find this comment funny: “Outside of Marian Gaborik’s 21 goals this season, no other Ranger has more than six”

Rumor 3: To be honest, I can’t even name half the Panther’s team. I don’t even know what we’d want from them.

Rumor 4: Steady and reliable? Sounds like they need a Laddy Smid. Now I would be very hard pressed to trade Smid, but would you if say, Filatov was in the mix?

Rumor 5: I think SOB fits the Canuck’s pesty mould so much better, they should be trying to keep him if anything. The problem is they got too many high priced defensemen, just like we do.

Rumor 6: Final year of their contracts? Only if we’re in a playoff position. They’ll probably want some prospects or picks in return. I’d say no to these guys and just keep our prospects and picks. I can’t see how these guys would help us much in the short term when we should be looking in the long term.

3. NorwegianOiler says:

O-oh, I feel the vortex of randomness draw me in! :P

1) If we ever trade for the Kostitsyns (or even just a Kostitsyn) I will lose faith in humanity by association to Tambellini. It will show, beyond any doubt, that they are either not watching the team we are, or we are not watching the team they are.

2) If we trade a player with size and grit and do not bring back equal size and grit I will also lose faith a bit :P Unless it’s just a pure rip off trade.

I wouldn’t mind Patrick Sharp, nor Cam Barker, but Brent Sopel is a waste of cap space. Either of the former two would mean significant salaries being moved though. And seeing as the Hawks would like cap relief even more than us…it would have to involve another team as well, a team that could absorb some cash for an Oiler or two.

I think the key is to build with purpose and to think about salaries all the way – no bringing in another top paid player without it being a truly elite forward that meets our needs. I’d be careful about players like Staal or Lecavalier, their salaries can not ever be lived up to and I doubt either of them would be more successful with us than with their respective teams.

Abandoning the fact that their teams would likely not deal them, it would be nice to see rumours (and subsequent transactions) of players like Patrice Bergeron, Alexander Frolov, Brandon Dubinsky, Travis Zajac, Brad Boyes, Brooks Laich or even guys like Jack Skille and David Steckel.
    At least in the mould of these players, either with decent size and great speed/hands or decent skill/hands/speed and much grit, etc.

I still do not believe in, and likely won’t, that single big trade that will put us over the top – at least not without attaching so much salary problems with it that we won’t survive long anyway.

I’d love to write a rebuild/long term plan, but I don’t know if I have time ;)

4. NorwegianOiler says:

Oh, and I’d take Erik Cole back ;)

DeMitra? I would have to think Drury would be going the other way with some swapping of other guys as well.

I am not interested in even one Kostitsyn. They suck and have terrible attitudes. Go to the KHL already.

Barker would be nice. Not sure what they’d want, but I’d give them Cogs for Barker. He’s a solid D man. Sopel I’m not the least bit interested in but Sharp, same thing as Barker. Good player that we should make a pitch for if available.

As for Staal or LeCalvalier, I don’t see it happening. Too big of dollars and Horcoff would have to be going the other way as well as a big salary D man. I don’t think Tampa has the room for that and I’m not sure Carolina is interested in vets at this point. Also, I doubt Souray waives his NMC to go back out East, but perhaps Tampa as the connections are good to LA.

I don’t know what’s going to happen, but it seems that there has been some trade buzz in the league, but the cap kills most trades. It’s never about hockey anymore per se. What’s interesting is there are lots of teams looking to dump salary and not many available to take it on. Look at us. A bottom 5 team at the cap.

NO: Completely agree on Cole. Loved him here, even though he wasn’t scoring… I felt like his lone supporter here though at times. But he brings everything this team lacks, and I think he’d thrive under Quinn. And well, it’s not always about goals and assists for some players.

Completely agree with both of you on the Kostitsyns (again, unless it’s a very significant salary dump on our part, which is unlikely). Any deal that involves Cogliano for the brothers is bad in my books though.

Agreed on the Chicago front, N.O.

And I also agree (and have said many times too) that one big trade is not what this team needs. I’m still all about the shutdown d-man, and some other gritty players. I think Comrie was a very underrated signing, for example. It’s too bad he got mono.. if not for that, I think he’d be a big factor here. We need more guys like that. Despite his size, he still plays harder and knows where to go better than most of our skilled players.

And I’d love to see your re-build / long term plan! If you ever decide to do it, let me know. It can go on The Wall, and I link to it here.

Horpensky: Smid in my books is now untradeable. I do think that much of his success is due to confidence with his defensive partner. However, Smid is exactly the kind of d-man we need more of, so why trade him? I’ve always been of the belief that this team needs to get bigger, grittier, and tougher to play against. Trading away Smid wouldn’t be a good idea, in my opinion.

Oh and also, i have no idea why this site isn’t making Twitter updates.. I just noticed that today, actually. I’ll take a look.

Smid is untouchable to me at this point. Like Racki said, we need at least another guy like him, perhaps two. We need big guys coming in with skills that intimidate.

Jack Skille is a guy I’d love to have. Not sure the Hawks would trade him now that they have cap issues as he’d be a good guy for years to come once other guys are moved. I’d love to have him though.

8. Horpensky says:

I do think David Steckel is the model guy we need. He’s a huge guy (6′ 5″, 215 lbs), 60% on the faceoff (no joke, 60%!), and excellent on the PK. With Washington having a lot of higher priority RFA’s like Backstrom, Semin, and Fleischmann, they might put this guy on the backburner. I say we Curtis Glencross him if he isn’t signed by July 1st and make him priority #1.

Good call on the Caps focusing on other players. Perhaps he can be picked up before the deadline even.

Thought I’d pass this on….O’Marra and Chorney were sent back to Springfield earlier today. Kinda wish we kept Chorney and waived strudwick..

The kind of players I’d like to see come here are players like Erik Cole, Lucic or some type of powerforward. Although the likely-hood of this happening is slim to none I’d love to see a young type of powerforward like Lucic come to this team. Or if we could get Cole or a carbon copy of Cole I’d try and recruit him in a heart beat.

Like I’ve mentioned before and as Racki mentioned above Cole would thrive under Quinn’s style. If this team is suppose to be a tough team to play against on any night we’re going to change the ‘chemical-makeup’ of this team(by adding some large skilled forwards, especially ones that hit).

I would love to have Eric Cole or someone similar to Eric Cole. His style is great and he makes an impact. I wish Tambi would pick up the phone and go bring Eric back. I highly doubt it will happen, but he we can all wish. Looking back on it, Lucic should have been an oiler. Remember the pick that Boston used to draft him was trade from EDM to BOS in the Samsonov trade back in 06. Horton comes to mind as a guy that would work here. Something about Ray Whitney interests me too. I think he would help out the offense.

I’ll throw some names out there as potential targets.. feel free to add. Some would be unrealistic ideas though:

Ryan Clowe, Eric Cole, Scotty Hartnell, Ryan Malone, Dustin Brown (pipe dream), Nathan Horton, Brendan Morrow..

I’ll leave Milan Lucic out, because there’s zero chance he’ll be moved, unless for a pretty hefty price.

Hartnell I could see us making a deal for. Cole and Brown not so much, because Cole has already played here, and Brown won’t be traded by LA. Malone could be had for the right price. He’d be a good 2nd liner behind Penner. Clowe mybe, but what would the Sharks be looking for if they indeed were going to deal him? Horton I don’t think will be traded, but I would like him in Edmonton if possible. Morrow, there is no way in hell that the Stars deal him. I do think that maybe Scott Hartnell will be an Oiler at the deadline. Add in Ray Whitney to that list. I know he i a total different player than those other guys, but he could be someone that the Oilers cold grab from the Canes. ROD BRIND’AMOUR. He would be the perfect guy for this hockey team. Great faceoff guy, great leader, great pk’er.

zackman35: BO: I forgot about that transaction! Well, I couldn’t remember we sent our pick that way but it’s all coming back to me now. It may not look as good now but you know what, for what the cup run was worth Samsonov was a key component in our run. He had some beautiful chemistry with Hemsky there on a few of the goals. I’d love to have Lucic now don’t get me wrong but I don’t think we’d get as far as we did without Samsonov on our team that year.
    Racki: Another name you can add to that list is Getzlaf. Not really sure how he is, character wise but he is a hell of a powerforward. Dustin Brown, I can’t remember if I mentioned him in our game vs LA but I’d love to see him in an Oilers jersey too. Except I think he is the King’s version of Lucic or pretty close anyways.Bottom line is that we need some large skilled forwards that can throw their weight around and put up some points.

Stone can throw his body around nicely, but can’t score. We really have Penner, Stone, JFJ, Moreau, Smid and Souray that really throw the body. I’d love to pick up a big forward. Oilers fans get a close up of Horton tomorrow night.

Zack: Yah I left Getzlaf out because I didn’t think it was a realistic possibility. If Dustin Brown is a 0% chance of being dealt, Getzlaf is about a -105% chance. :P

OT a bit, but since we’re talking about Dustin Brown.. who can forget #4 on this top 10 hits of last year list?

Brown is on the giving end for #10 though:

BO: Yeah we have quite a few guys that can throw their weight around but what I was trying to get at is they need to do that plus put up the points like the guys previously listed.

Racki: I see, I see (haha). Well if Quinn is changing the way the Oilers game is played, which use to be more of a young speedy high paced system back in the day. To a more gritty, wear out the other team kind of system then I wonder if we’ll see a difference in the way we draft this year. As in not so much small, speedy forwards but more gritty bigger forwards.

Zack: Well, I think under Quinn it’s not that it’s all about power… it’s about balance. Quinn is the Zen master. hehe Seriously, his plan is pretty clear: one tough guy to open ice for the skill players. So those skill players are still very necessary and should be drafted. But yes, the team should consider drafting some size. Ultimately, hitting both in one player would be a big win. :P

Racki: Ah yeah, I guess your right. He would have liked the Stortini – Brodziak – Glencross line then. And on that video hit four was pretty wicked. ;) I remember Moreau fighting Greene after that and if I recall that was Valentines day as well. I was prepping dinner for my better half I think and trying to watch that game. Didn’t Gags fight in that game too?

And on number two, I would consider that more of a leading a player into a solid object than a hit.

Anyways, it would be nice to have Brown, or Getzlaf for that matter but that won’t be happening so we’ll have to rely on a good draft or overall team improvement. I’m off to bed now night!

I don’t remember if it was in that game, but I know Gagner fought Johnson one game.

And it’s funny.. I thought the same about #2… that it shouldn’t be so high in the rankings because the turnbuckle did all the damage.

Have a good night!

23. Horpensky says:

I think a ‘big guys that throws his weight around and can score’ is the most wanted commodity in the NHL. We got big guys that hit, but can’t score. We got Big guys that don’t hit but can score. We got little guys that hit and score. Unfortunately the combination of all three are very rare, and teams that have them won’t be giving them up for cheap.

Yup, agreed on that.

25. NorwegianOiler says:

I watch the Kings every now and then and it strikes me how similar Dustin Brown is to…

…our very own Ethan Moreau in playing style. Brown is equally eager to give away possession by throwing a shot immediately upon breaking into the zone and for all his success also wastes possession a lot. I think O’Sullivan developed a similar approach when in LA, where a lot of their shots were taken either from bad angles (and had little chance of going in) or when there was no one in front to pick up any rebound. No knock on Brown as such, it can be effective, but much like the “get pucks to the net at all times and all costs” kind of guys, his shooting percentage is low and while he scores 20 goals per season he also wastes possession a LOT. Just to clarify, I regard Brown to be a Moreau 2.0 ;) Even though Moreau, with more minutes and a bit more anticipation of the play, could also pot 20 goals and some 30 assists merely through the amount of rebounds he inevitably would create by releasing a million shots per season…

Brown, nice player, but a bit overrated by Oilers fans at least knowing how much everyone dislikes Moreau. They’re not that dissimilar after all.

26. mrgod2u says:

My thoughts on the trade front are that we should be trading to free up cap space, either to chase a free agent in the off season, or to ensure that we have room to get our young guns signed before they RFA out on us. If we can possibly unload a long term high contract (just pick one of the 6 bad ones we have), and take back an expiring contract then we can free up some cap space. Another source of trade rumour I haven’t seen but expect will soon heat up is Philly. With the new coaching situation and a reported rift in the room there may be some push to remake the team a bit, or at very least deal one of the sides of the rift to heal the team in time for a playoff push. Funny how there always seems to be a rift in the room of whatever city Pronger is in… Then he gets dealt… What a coincidence.

I know this is kind of far fetched, but just kinda thinking out loud.

Cogliano, Souray and maybe a 3rd rnd pick for Semin and Shaone Morrison.

now, on the surface this might not make sense for Washington, but if you think about it, it gives them some more options in the future without taking away from their contender status, and it might actually help them as a contender.

Imagine with their forwards having the option of Green AND Souray on the PP?

plus you take in to account that Semin is in line for a big raise next year that the caps might not be able to afford in the sense of not having cap room to keep a good supporting cast around Ovie having so much cap space wrapped up in just Ovie and Semin, plus they get a young, speedy two way centre/winger that would likely fit in extremely well with their team dynamics.

Semin for obvious reasons would look awesome in Oiler silks, and Morrison is that big bruising shut down D we so desperately need, and the salaries in this trade are pretty much a wash for this season anyways.

28. NorwegianOiler says:

Then again, I’d hate to give up Cogliano – I’d rather see them take on another player. I think Cogliano shows a lot of resiliency and leadership at a very young age. His speed is undeniable, but his skill set is quite good as well. As he grows stronger and more mature I am sure he’ll be a 25 goal scorer and a valuable PKer for any team.

In any case, there’s an interesting core to that suggestion I think.

NorwegianOiler: Gr8one: That is actually one trade I wouldn’t really mind. Semin, though not the toughest character around, can score and is a very good player. Depending on his ‘new’ salary (RFA this season) I’d be rather pleased. The biggest issue for the Oilers is that Morrisson is a UFA, but depending on the salary (as always) I think he could be re-signed. If Semin would take somewhere around 5.5M it would work out quite nicely.
    In any case, there’s an interesting core to that suggestion I think.

yeah, you pretty much summed up the thoughts and trepidation I had in my mind that I did not articulate in my post.

I do however believe though if we were able to wrap Semin up for a reasonable cap hit like you said, his long term value and upside could potentially reach superstar proportions.

and as much as I think Morrison would be fantastic for us, even if we were unable to re-sign him(which I hope we would) his salary would be $2.0 million off the books that we could use to sign another big shutdown D if needed.

I agree on Cogs, as I love the skill set he possesses, however, it’s the old conundrum we’ve had the last few seasons of the Oilers having too much of the same thing, and I think Cogliano is somewhat expendable in the sense that all the things we love about could help us yield some of what we are lacking.

another one I was sort of mulling about in my head that I don’t like as much, but still is intriguing to me nonetheless, is swapping Souray/Cogs to Pittsburgh for Staal/Orpik.

30. NorwegianOiler says:

Even though we have too many smallish forwards, I think Cogliano is possibly the last I’d trade, just because his trade value seems to be lower now than ever and also the aforementioned points on leadership, world class speed and special teams ability. He shouldn’t be too expensive either, even if he turns up his scoring pace from here on out.

Then again, Brule’s looking better and better…

It all depends on what the Caps would settle for of course.

Make it bigger and say: O’Sullivan and Souray for Semin (RFA), Morrisson (UFA) and Steckel (UFA)- but then again, we’d be left with three free agents, two of which could outright reject us. And, I like O’Sullivan’s potential…