The roller coaster ride just hit rock bottom

By , December 21, 2009 10:53 pm
How does this happen?

How does this happen?

And with a thunk (7-2 loss) the Oilers are officially last in the West. The holiday roster freeze is currently in effect, meaning we can’t make any moves right now (except in an emergency).

Really though, this team needs work. I wore a “virtual” brown bag on my head in hopes of MacTavish getting canned. I do think the firing was the right thing to do, and in the end I think we have the better coach. However, I can now say that this team wasn’t a bad team because of coaching. It’s a bad team because a bad team has been assembled.

We all know it. The CBA and the booming Canadian dollar ruined this team. The pockets opened up for Kevin Lowe, and in the words of Brian Burke, he ran the team into the sewer, albeit unintentionally. I don’t think the players he picked up were bad choices or anything. However, I think most would agree that the spending was too free and it has handcuffed the team, and acquiring several players with the same skill set also hindered the team. So how does Tambellini fix the Oilers? Well, he prepares to shell out big money to other free agents (unsuccessfully) and trades for another high salary player (unsuccessfully due to NTC… although this may have been salary well spent) and then signs an aging goaltender to a ridiculous term for a bad salary when goalies in the league currently carry low value.

So 4 years of failure in, we’re now on our 2nd set of coaches, our 2nd GM, and have cycled through several players. What gives? I think a lot of guys in head office have their hearts in the right places, but I don’t think their actions have been to do what is best for this team.

The Oilers apologist will say “well we are only 7 points out”. However, I don’t think this team is good enough to have that fight in them to overcome these odds. They are a borderline team. As a fan, I compel you to stop settling for mediocrity here. Look to our neighbors to the south. They aren’t a team fighting for a playoff spot year after year. They’re fighting for the division title now. Until the Oilers change, we will always be fighting for 8th spot because the team constantly on life support. Our GMs refuse to make decisions until the trade deadline. By then, the team teases us with what looks to be a playoff possibility. “We’re only a few points out.. we just need a good run”.

But what this team needs to do, in my opinion, is write this season off. It’s time to jettison the dead weight. Other teams do it. Katz (if only you could actually hear me): it’s time to bite the bullet; it’s time to eat some high priced contracts; it’s time to clean up the contract mess.

I already know the argument – “but Racki, we have enough troubles signing free agents!”. Well, this is how you do a re-build: drop the expensive contracts and try and build through the draft. The team should only be resorting to free agent signings for cheap savy guys like Betts, Malhotra, Whitney, Roloson… guys that you need to complement your home grown stars. Tambellini and Lowe have been looking for home run deals – one superstar fixes – for a while now that they’ve clouded their vision and overlooked the several areas that this team needs help with. The Rangers have proven year in and year out that this is not the way to do it.

I can point out the big issues on this team (defense, skill with size), but I think the first thing that is going to have to happen before correcting anything else is to stop the bleeding. Cut your losses: waive, waive waive. Make trades for picks. A lot of this may be best saved for the trade deadline, but this team SHOULD be completely cleaned before then. I will have far more respect for Tambellini if he wipes the slate clean than if he keeps trying to apply band-aid fixes. Moreau, one or more top-4 salary d-men, O’Sullivan, Nilsson, Staios (as much as I hate to say it), Pisani (unless he takes a big pay cut) – all of these guys are gone, whatever it takes. Trade for picks, send through waivers.. it doesn’t matter. This is addition through subtraction. Horcoff’s contract does bother me, and I’m a fan of his. But I think that one is one we’ll have to make the most of. He’s a guy that is a good leader though anyways and does always give a consistent level of effort, so I’m not upset about keeping him if need be.

In addition, the Oilers are about to make some decisions on contracts at season’s end – Gagner, Cogliano, Pisani, Comrie, Grebeshkov, Pouliot, Brule, Stone, Jacques, Potulny (for guys currently up on the big club). Of these guys, not a damn one gets a significant pay raise unless it is a short term contract. We’ve been bitten in the ass too many times by one-hit wonders who collect their check and put it in cruise control. We’ve got Eberle, MPS and others coming up that can replace them. I hate to put it that way, but this is all part of the new-look Oilers that no longer pays players for potential or for one year of good play. Anyone that tries to draw a line in the sand with us is going to have to go, unless it’s obviously within reason. The Oilers are going to have to start playing some hardball. But if we’re in re-build mode, it’s necessary. There shouldn’t be any reason at this point to cave into a particular player’s demands because there are more coming through the draft to replace them (or a trade can be made to replace them).

I know this rant sounds like the same old “we lost another game, time to get pissed” rant. Maybe it is… but I’d say almost four years of mediocrity is enough to call it by something else… just calling it the way I’ve seen it for almost four years now.

Anyways, I plead to Tambellini, Lowe, and Katz… pull the plug on grandma. Let it go already, and let the healing begin.

27 Responses to “The roller coaster ride just hit rock bottom”

1. Puritania says:

I agree 100% Racki, Well said. Now let’s figure out a way to get Mr. Meow to read it.

2. Horpensky says:

Home run free agents. Not the way to go. Like you said, Rangers are in deep doo doo. Gaborik is putting the team on his shoulders and they’re getting nowhere. Habs are just as mediocre and now they got a ton of big contracts.

Now a team like Washington has been the model. They got stuck with a terrible contract. What do they do? Bruce tells him he’s not needed and makes Nylander sit until he decides to go to the minors and the owner bites the $4 mil+ contract. Cha-ching, the best team in the league suddenly has $4 mil cap space. They’ll probably be smart about it and use it on their young proven players rather than take a risk on big game hunting on an unproven player with unproven chemistry.

Another great model team has been the Predators. They’re like 7th in the league with $13 million cap space. They squeeze every ounce of talent and effort from their players.

Yes it’s been a broken record time and time again.
    – we need to do a proper rebuild
    – we need to trade Horcoff, Moreau, Staios, Pisani, Nilsson, Souray, Gilbert, Grebs, for draft picks and prospects.
    – we need to sign cheap filler players to let our prospects develop

Unfortunately, we’ve made moves every year to try and contend.. and I don’t see it changing anytime soon. However, a GM needs the balls to make those ‘rebuilding moves’. Burke may be a loudmouth, be he had the balls to not sign Sundin for PR purposes, got rid of Antropov, Kubina, McCabe, and Moore for lightweight contracts and draft picks.

3. Horpensky says:

Btw I do agree about Horcoff. He’s not moving, so we just gotta make the most out of it. And what people don’t realize is despite all his minuses, he’s actually been putting up points lately, and he’s tied for 3rd on the team in goals.

That’s just the thing. The Oilers now are so worried about PR. But you know what, tip-toeing around has done nothing for them. You’re right.. Tambo needs the balls, and Katz needs to give the green light, if not even put the gun to his head to make him do it. But Healtey is proof that us trying to PR our way out of NHL Siberia is doing no good. The team needs a new image. It starts by showing the league that you mean business, and it continues on by having a successful team for years to come.

Our core should consist of…

Forwards: Penner, Hemmer, Horc, Stortini
    Dmen: Smid, Lubo, Souray, Staois

Goalies: JDD, *Doobie

Keep Doobie in the minors.

What we need…

Forwards: Large skilled forwards, however they are not a dime a dozen but go for the “little guys” that bring a lot. eg. Malholtra for Faceoff’s/PK or was it PP Anyways read above, to get the idea.

Defensemen: We need two shutdown Dman, preferably a large one Volchenkov sp* would be really nice.

Goalies: JDD and Roli would have made an awesome paring this year but we can’t turn back time. Looking back I would have thought it would have been too risky with Roli but I bite my tongue. Khabi, time will only tell but I wish we could have risked the “up and coming” not the “legitimate and aging”.

One of my elders once told me that a hockey team usually goes through a cycle. If a team (certain teams like the Oilers) makes it pretty deep in the playoffs then they will spend the next few seasons on a rebuild until they can contend again. This usually takes about 2-3 seasons and they should reach the playoffs again and are able to make a run.

This is true to some part, most teams have a rebuild phase, even the “All Mighty” Red Wings (see this season) have to rebuild but they will contend in a few seasons for a pretty good playoff spot. However our Oilers barely make it year in and year out. It’s kinda the shits for Quinn because of all the injuries that have occurred and a chunk of the roster is filled with the Falcons/AHL players. I would not even begin to point fingers at Quinn.

2 things

1) I have yet to see where Quinn is a better coach than Mac T, and its pretty obvious at this point that he wasn’t the problem

2) As I was mentioning to a buddy last night, you don’t need to build through the draft to have a contender. As mentioned above, look at Nashville. Or as I mentioned last night, look at the 06 team. When we went to the playoffs (squeaked in because of managements refusal to get a goalie in my opinion) look at how many rookies/non-nhl players there were. 2. Maybe 3. (Greene, Poo, Winchester (who in another aside, was a favorite of mine from the roadrunners and I’m happy he found a place on a team…pretty good scrapper too)). Thats it.

Ever since then, we have been trying to win with mainly rookies/fringe players.

So if you want to start winning, making the playoffs, being able to attract players then start shedding salary, bring in cheap vets to hold down the fort while the kids learn and finally have a team of actual NHL players.

I hate tanking.

Love the post. I hate to watch the team lose, but honestly it really IS worth it to wait it out and become a top team in the league. Its time to trade Moreau and Staios. I say keep Pisani because I think after all hes been through the guy deserves a break. Plus His contact is up at the end of the year. Get picks and prospects for the vets. Hell even add Comrie to the list of tradeables!

Our Core (Offense): Gagner, Penner, Hemsky, Cogliano, Eberle(who will be here next year), Brule(Hes been good, this season) and Stortini(every team needs one of his type of style.)

Defense: Smid, Chorney, Gilbert(any way you put it hes here, and I thik can pick up his game) and Peckham.

I want Hall in the draft this year real bad. I think he would make this team a lot better. I also say trade Sheldon Souray to an eastern conference team or a western contendor for a young defenseman the has a good DEFENSIVE game to him. Like what Matt Greene was until that trade.

With Hall:

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Eberle-Hall-Brule
    Cogliano-Horcoff(no one will take him)-Stone
    Stortini-O’Sullivan-Nilsson
    Potulny and JFJ will be the extra forwards

Vishnovsky-Smid
    Chorney-*Defender aquired for Souray*
    Grebeskov-Gilbert
    Peckham putting pressure on the guys here to do their job

JDD gets starting duty
    Khabibulin is his more than solid backup

Racki, I agree with you ita time to kill it and rebuiold the right way. know I didn’t sound it last night, but we have the right coach. Now lets see Tambi prove his worth.

Racki: Well that’s just it though… they need to shed salary first and foremost. We all know it. I have no problems with surrounding the team with cheap, savvy vets, but Lowe/Tambellini both seem to have no clue on how to be thrifty about who they sign.As far as the tanking, this season is a write-off. Every time they tease us with a glimpse of hope, they shit the bed again. So I’m perfectly fine with dropping all the dead weight and seeing what happens and starting fresh for next year. If we happen to hit the bottom of the league, all the better. After 3 years of failure, I’m not going to cry if we continue going downward for this year. Next year, I’d like to see the trend go the other direction, however. This year should be able stopping the bleeding and fixing up the mess that was made of this team. If it means that the team is going to finish last this year, so be it.

This one year could fix a lot here. Just look at the lineup I posted above. We could even keep Souray in the lineup. I think a guy like Hall would really help as he has a ton of talent. Taking this year to rebuild will suck THIS YEAR but come maybe even next year it will pay off big time for years to come

I think people are overrating Hall too. He’s good, but not Tavares or even Stamkos good from what I have read so far. May be wrong, but I’m not sure he’s in the vein of team changing rookies, and to expect so may be incorrect/unfair to him.

They say Seguin is the better of the two. Last year they said Hall would have gone first if he was draft eligible. So who knows. Drafting is still not a sure bet. But I’m not suggesting that the Oilers purposely loose. No players in the NHL should be doing that intentionally. But management should be working on cleaning the organization up, Fletcher-style.

As Horpensky said, it is going to take balls to do it though, and an owner willing to allow it. But I think it’s a long overdue necessity. Whatever happens with this season is besides the point. Drafting Hall/Seguin would just be icing on the cake.

agreed with pretty much everything.

the #1 player I want to see gone is Moreau.

I was a huge fan of his for years, and there was a time he was actually my favorite Oiler, but these past two years he’s been horrible. I can’t speak for what goes on behind closed doors, but one thing is for certain, his “leading by example” on the ice characteristics have been brutal, and more often than not could actually be used as examples of what NOT to do.

I’ve thought for a long time now that we need to trim the veteran fat off of this team, and I used to think that did not include Souray and Visnovsky, but I say trade them both, they have the highest trade value and will get us the biggest returns, but more than anything they are borderline elite defenseman, but have never WON anything, hell….vissers not even made the playoffs.

We need to go with a total youth movement with the exception of some veteran role players that have actually won a cup and can bring some of that winning mentality.

With the exception of Khabi, does this team have any players that have won anything?

trim the fat this year, have a great draft, and then next year bring in some players like Paul Martin, and/or a John Madden type players that have won a cup, and can bring some WINNING leadership.

13. Hockey Noob says:

First, good post Racki. This team doesn’t have the legs to finish the season anywhere close to .663, so yeah the playoffs are not really even a pipe dream at this point.

Next year, we have a salary cap mess that we have to address ahead of time if possible.

What’s sad is that for all the concern over injuries and illness, the actual reason we’re losing is the same as last year. Losing too many faceoffs, poor at penalty killing, allowing too many goals/shots against. These are not really linked to missing Hemsky or Comrie.

14. Horpensky says:

It seems like everyone wants one of our top 4 defencemen gone for whatever reason. Souray because he hasn’t been the same, Visnovsky because he’s worth the most, Gilbert cause he’s Horcoff on defense, and Grebs cause he’s reverted back to his turnover ways. Out of these four, the one I’d want to keep the most is Visnovsky. He makes whoever he’s playing with a lot better, and we have to attribute much of Smid’s success and learning by being paired with Lubo (I think he played with Grebeshkov a bit last season too and look at Greb’s season). Realistically though, I see Grebs being the only one moved due to contract issues.

Horpensky: I don’t think many people want them gone because they are bad players, it’s because we are up against the cap and they are all big money guys who are marketable. Simple as that.

Honestly, I know it doesn’t get a lot of support from most, but I’d move Gilbert or Grebeshkov. I know the argument is that we want guys that will stay with this team for a while, but I think their contracts are high for what we’re currently getting. Chorney could probably replace either one of those guys at this point, for much cheaper. And aside from that, I’d like to see the back end get tougher to play against.

Noob: yah I saw your post on Low On Oil. Good write up. And I agree.. that win% is pretty horrid. Chucker posted the % chance we’d make it into the playoffs (it’s linked in the post above somewhere). It’s somewhere around 4%. Yikes.

16. Mr.Majestyk says:

I missed the game last night, I’m kind of glad that I did. I’m not really 100% sure what its going to take to turn this team into a playoff team, but I’m not in favour of just selling off our assets. Everything has to be measured so that we don’t make moves just for the sake of making them. We need to make moves that address the teams needs, and then carry that over to next year and sign free agents to fill in the missing pieces.

Racki, I think we need a poll of some sort on here that people can pick and choose who has to be let go during the rebuild. Maybe there will be a concensus on who we want to keep around and who must go. Last season we desperately needed a first line LW. Do we still? Penner solved that problem for us.

Boston: No offense, but that team is by far worse than what we have this season. We want our young players and draft picks to develop, they should play in a development league, the AHL. When they are ready to take a job at the NHL level, then welcome aboard.

Anyways, those are my sentiments. Just thought I’d chime in.

18. Hockey Noob says:

BDHS just said it best…

“The fish stinks from the head and so the front office needs gutting for starters, Lowe and Tambellini have to go and probably immediately.”

19. Mr.Majestyk says:

Bostonoiler: I got a feeling that these guys are gonna go on a run…….and finish in 9th and we are right where we were last season. sigh It always happens, We aren’t bad enough when healthy to be last, and the GM won’t make deals go down.

I hear what you are saying, but if we go on a run, and the reason we go on a run is because everyone is buying into the system and our core players are a part of that run, I see that as something we build on. If we are terrible all year and sell off all our vets, then we are officially at square 1. The thing about rebuilds is that they don’t always work out. We already did a rebuild with this team. We traded a bunch of our veteran players like Ryan Smyth and completely tanked the end of the year and ended up landing Sam Gagner. We have been banking on Gags, Cogliano and others to raise the level of their game and to this point, it hasn’t happened.

Mr.Majestyk:
    I hear what you are saying, but if we go on a run, and the reason we go on a run is because everyone is buying into the system and our core players are a part of that run, I see that as something we build on.If we are terrible all year and sell off all our vets, then we are officially at square 1.The thing about rebuilds is that they don’t always work out.We already did a rebuild with this team.We traded a bunch of our veteran players like Ryan Smyth and completely tanked the end of the year and ended up landing Sam Gagner.We have been banking on Gags, Cogliano and others to raise the level of their game and to this point, it hasn’t happened.

I don’t think that re-build was wisely done though, is the difference. Throwing large sums of cash at players isn’t quite the way to do it. I know we need to do that to attract the big names, but I think there are cheaper versions out there of players in our system currently. But I’m beating a dead horse here.

A re-build doesn’t always work, no, but I don’t see trying to salvage season after mediocre season as a good solution either. In fact, it reminds me of the Toronto Maple Leafs, to be honest.

A rebuild doesn’t have to be a complete and utter tanking for years either. We just need to cut the dead weight and build up a set of new complementary players.

Oilers Fan: Hey I wonder when we get Khabi back….?

Islanders Fan: Not sure but thanks for Roli.

I played around on cap geek.com a little. If we get rid of Moreau, Pisani, Staios, POS, and one of Souray or Grebs as well as letting Comrie walk, we will have over 15 million in cap room for 10/11. That includes Khabi’s salary, putting Chorney and Pecks on D and Eberle into the lineup with two spare spots. I obviously didn’t factor in position, but on a team with 13 natural centremen, who cares?

That is a reasonable feet to accomplish and players that should be looked to be moved and likely fairly easily even if the return is low. Factor in that I did not calculate raises for impending UFAs or retaining Stone, who is a group VI free agent like GlennX was.

MPS likely comes in and we have room for dealing for a couple of cheap vets and keeping Pecks/Chorney/Pouliot in the minors.

It’s not the huge contractts that will get the biggest bang here. It’s moving all the mid-range ineffective ones.

That’s pretty much the players I’ve been saying for a while to move (although I usually mention Gilbert or Grebs instead of Souray or Grebs). I also include Nilsson in the list of movable players. I also would hang on to Comrie because he’s cheap, and if he didn’t catch mono, I think he would be a factor in many games. He looked like a real NHLer compared to our younger guys. Players like Gagner could really learn from him.

But really, they could try to trade Moreau and Staios at the deadline and if there are no takers, they hit the waiver line. I don’t feel bad at all about Moreau being waived, although I do about Staios. Ya, ya, I know I have a man crush on the guy, but he does throw it all on the line every night, so I hate paying a guy back by doing that. But with the waivered players we could always not send them to the minors if they clear. All the rest of the guys have value in a trade. Even O’Sullivan, despite his lack of scoring. We just won’t get full value on some guys, and that’s fine… again, it’s about addition through subtraction (as someone on HFBoards mentioned the other day).

Even with 15M left over, the Oil management are going to have to get stingy on the re-signings. No one has proven themselves in that bunch to be deserving of anything over 2M, as far as I’m concerned. Grebeshkov’s salary was already higher, so we have no choice there, but he should get the minimum qualifying offer for a raise.

Some of these players might not be-resigned because of playing hardball, but the Oil are going to have to do it and move anyone that isn’t going to “play along”. We may need to offer some number of 1-year deals to allow players the chance to earn a bigger raise next year, however.

24. neufab says:

chucker: …I obviously didn’t factor in position, but on a team with 13 natural centremen, who cares?
    It’s not the huge contracts that will get the biggest bang here.It’s moving all the mid-range ineffective ones.

One of the reasons I am excited to see MPS is because he’s a natural winger. I understand that you draft “the best player” but I think that when you are “building a team” having 13 center-men that need to learn a new position is just plain stupid. Right now the Oilers have 3 forwards in the line-up with a right handed shot. I understand that some guys thrive after moving to the wing but why not let that be the exception instead of the expectation.

Good point on dumping the mid-end salaries. The Oilers aren’t in that bad of a spot when you consider how many contracts are up at the end of the year. Guys will either need to take a pay cut or they’re gone.

To Racki’s point, clearly this team was not rebuilt properly. As for who I’d keep… Gagner, Brule, Penner, Comrie, Souray, Visnovsky, Gilbert, Smid and either Cogliano or O’Sullivan. Add to that Horcoff and Hemsky who are fixtures on this team and the coming of Eberle, MPS, and Plante, the remaining 3 forwards and 2 defensemen need to add size, toughness, grit and defensive reliability. Maybe keep Struds as the #7 d-man because he’s cheep.

25. neufab says:

Just to clarify, when I say “having 13 center-men is stupid” I mean what the hell was the Oiler management thinking? The NHL is so tight, and many nights this team looks like it’s close to something we’ve all been waiting for, and yet they’re just a little off. How many times has this team been guilty of being out of position? Maybe there’s a correlation…

The biggest concern is limiting the goals against (without too drastically creating problems at the other end).

What that means to me is taking away the offensive guys that aren’t scoring and the defensive guys that aren’t defending well enough and replacing them with some better PKer/shutdown types. Also on the backend, taking a bit away from the offense in that case, and finding a shutdown d-man.

The Oil can score goals with the best of them this year, they just can’t keep them out of the net. Khabi will help a bit in that regard, but really they need some better defence that know how to play in their own end.

AND, unlike the past, they don’t need to go and solve the problem in bulk (ex. “oh we need some skilled players, lets trade away all our defensive players).

27. neufab says:

Well I am officially on my Christmas break, and with a glass of cheer I’m feelin’ good :)

Hey Racki, it would pain me to change my Oilers forum sig and I have spoken quite highly of O’Sullivan since the Oilers acquired him, even to the extent of saying he would be the next Doug Weight. I still think he has the tools, just as Penner “had the tools” under MacT. Even so, he needs to come through when we need him to, rather than hitting posts and wasting opportunities. Plus he needs to play with more authority when fighting for the puck! I give him until the Olympic break to prove me wrong. He may do better on another team.

As for other “offensive guys that aren’t scoring” and I compare guys like Comrie (early season form), Potulny, Cogliano, Nilsson, and last years Pouliot and bearing O’Sullivan in mind, versus Gagner, Brule and the future Eberle, then I say this roster will inevitably change or drastically fail with so few players able to physically dominate a game. I think if the Oilers keep 5 of those guys and the fixtures of Horcoff, Hemsky and Penner, then the remaining 4 players need to be a physical threat, and 2 of those 4 guys need to excel defensively.

As for the defense, I think Grebeshkov would yeild a solid top 4 shut down guy and add some size in the back end. By the time Eberle and MPS are ready for the NHL I think Plante should be ready to strengthen the bottom defensive pairing while adding a right handed shot on the blue-line.

The goal tending situation should be stable if Khabibulin regains his health soon.

I suppose what I’m saying is that this team looks to be a couple of years away from being less than a nail biting, hope filling, teeth grinding, high five, hair pulling, jumping for joy and anger, type of team. In the mean time, they need to move at least 5 players.

I hope they win tonight. If they get their shit together, then THIS team has the ability to make one of the bottom 3 spots of the playoffs. Go Oilers GO!