Some good reading for Friday, courtesy of David Staples…

By , December 4, 2009 2:45 pm
The more things change, the more they stay the same..

The more things change, the more they stay the same..

I don’t normally create posts these days based solely on posts on other blogs, however David Staples has been doing some good write ups lately that I have an easy time agreeing with.

Most notably:

If the Oilers don’t make the playoffs, Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini will have to resign.
AND
The Oilers need to blow up this team and trade for expiring contracts and draft picks.
AND
If Jim Rutherford can do it in Carolina, why not Kevin Lowe in Edmonton?

They echo a lot of sentiments heard around here. They’re unforgiving and honest articles. Often, I find that journalists are a bit too afraid to tell it like it is, but Staples pulls no punches in his criticisms towards management.

To sum up, they’ve had plenty of time to right the ship here. Things are looking to be veering off course here still (understatement of the year?). We’ve replaced the players several times, we’ve now replaced the coaching, we even replaced the owners and even management, however things remain much the same. Well, we changed the management, but you’d never think it because the philosophy management employs has not changed.

Tambellini’s excuse this year is that it’s not too easy to trade these bad contracts. But you know what, I don’t want to hear that. Other journalists (not mentioning any names) are even backing that up. Quite frankly, Jim Rutherford sounds like he’s going to prove Tambellini wrong. As I also pointed out on Staples’ blog, Cliff Fletcher has also done the same thing in Toronto before Burke came in. Of course, the fruits of that have not been seen yet… but a rebuild isn’t usually a quick process. Plus, the task to re-build the team after Fletcher cleaned things up a bit was put in Burke’s hands, so we can’t say for certain that Burke isn’t the bottleneck on that re-build.

Really, the excuses need to stop. We need to know if this team is making the playoffs this year. And if that is the plan, then management needs to bolster the defense on the team (most importantly). If the plan is to “Tank for Taylor/Tyler”, then the Oilers need to be giving the Islanders (given the go ahead to spend cash) and other teams some calls. And if they aren’t listening, then perhaps Tambellini needs to grow a pair and start going the Fletcher route.

Next year is a big year in that there are 13 RFAs that need to be re-signed or cut loose. There are some players waiting in the wings as well, such as Eberle, Omark, Chorney, Peckham, Plante, Dubnyk, Svensson-Paajarvi and others. Plans need to be made, and it would be nice to know that our GM isn’t just playing Donkey Kong up in his super-fortress in the clouds. Show a little spark of life there Steve, and let us know what’s going on with this team.

35 Responses to “Some good reading for Friday, courtesy of David Staples…”

1. David Staples says:

That insanity quote, was it Lowe who once quoted that, or was it MacT? It’s appropriate here.

Good graphic.

I’m pretty sure it was MacTavish that quoted it. Although I think I first heard it directed at management from Dan Tencer, I believe.

3. Jay says:

Racki, I agree that David’s articles were absolutely excellent!

I was pretty shocked at how brutally honest but fair they were. When you see a journalist that has the guts to say what needs to be said, it’s certainly inspiring.

The only underlying theme with Oilers management that forms any semblance of a plan is that they’re doing a very ineffective job of trying to win now (8th in West–not the SC). It’s clearly not working… As a fan, listening to excuses just makes me more frustrated.

I am not sure if Lowe ever used that quote, but it’s originally attributed to Albert Einstein.

Great series, David!

Indeed, agreed on all accounts.

The pseudo GM in me has been racking my brain trying to think of creative/outside the box ways the Oilers could get out of the cap mess they are in.

here is one example of what I think MIGHT be possible, the first part is an over payment in order to shed some salary, and the second part is getting more in return for taking on some salary.

I’m obviously no GM, and it’s all easier said than done, and I’m not sure how eager Florida would be to take on that much extra salary, but they certainly have room, and I believe the trade would be hard for them to say no to as they would get some much needed depth and instantly become an overall better team.

Step 1) Trade with Florida(overpayment, but bear with me)

Horcoff, Nilsson, Gilbert, for Horton and a 2nd or 3rd rnd pick.

Step 2) Trade with Chicago (Chicago desperately needs to shed some salary, yet they know they are a major contender for the cup this year, how do they shed salary without depleting their roster so they can make a good run for the cup.

I can’t see Chicago turning down this trade as it makes them even better than they currently are, gives them some much needed cap breathing room, yet we get two extraordinary roster players, albeit one with a very bad contract.

send off Moreau and Pisani for whatever picks we can get.

really, what I’m proposing is basically getting rid of a bunch of bad contracts and in return we take on one bad contract. Plus we get some good young roster players, and a premier but overpriced D-man. we still have our # pick for next year as well as Toronto’s, which gives us a good shot at the very least Taylor/Tyler maybe even both, if we still continue to lose, however with the below roster, I think we’d still be very competitive, and still have 6 million in cap space with Hemsky’s contract included.

send off Moreau and Pisani for whatever picks we can get.

that gives us

Penner(4.25) Sharp(3.9)Horton(4.0) – 12.15
    O’Sullivan(2.925) Gagner(1.625) Brule(0.8) – 5.35
    JFJ(0.525) Comrie(1.25) Potulny(0.595) – 2.37
    Stone(O.6) Pouliot(0.825) Stortini(0.7) – 2.125

Fwds Total = 21.995

Souray(5.4) Grebeshkov(3.15) 8.55
    Campbell(7.14) Smid(1.3) 8.44
    Strudwick (0.7)Peckham(0.6)Chorney(0.942) 2.242

D-Corps Total = 19.232

Khabi(3.75)
    JDD(0.625)

Goaltending Total = 4.375

Total Cap Hit Total: $45.602
    (This season, not including Hemsky due to LTIR)

that I think is pretty good looking team without Hemsky in the mix as well as a great future with two first round picks next year, as well as Eberle, MPS, Omark, Nash, Plante, etc,coming up.

thoughts?

and Racki, I wasn’t sure where to put this, thought this was as good a place as any since it’s blowing up our current team, AND giving us a good chance at a lottery pick. If not, feel free to move it.

Not 100% about Lowe & Tambi both resigning. They may get a bi this season because of our terribly bad luck with the injury bug. That said though, if they just let things ‘play’ out this year and not make any moves though something will be happening. Even if they traded one or two players though I think they will get that bi. We have a pretty decent team when we’re completely healthy I’d say, no cup contender but at least fighting for 6th place.

gr8one: We trade Visnovsky and Cogliano for Sharp, Campbell and the crown jewel of this trade that is Toronto’s first round pick next year.

Boston has that pick do they not?

Fletcher could do what he did because it was known that he’s temporary. A GM would be crucified if they did that (you think a player would sign here?). Fletcher got it done as a temp and then buggered off, so its not like Tambellini can do that (unless he’s fine with losing his job)

Racki: Often, I find that journalists are a bit too afraid to tell it like it is, but Staples pulls no punches in his criticisms towards management.

Oh, and gr8one, I was reading mc79hockey and I don’t see Staios or Moreau being traded for anything. He brought up some examples of players being traded with contract left over (as both are signed for next year), or rather the lack of trades in that situation. So I don’t see that happening.

As for the Florida trade, I don’t see them doing that as they would be taking on 12 mil per year on contracts not ending anytime soon and only sending 4 back. And they only have 2 mil in cap space.

Hope it doesn’t sound as though I am crapping on your idea, as I agree thats how a rebuild should be done (I would keep Gilbert however), just throwing my 2 cents in there.

and one last thing…just say no to tanking

Steve-O: Fletcher could do what he did because it was known that he’s temporary.A GM would be crucified if they did that (you think a player would sign here?).Fletcher got it done as a temp and then buggered off, so its not like Tambellini can do that (unless he’s fine with losing his job)

First off, yes, Boston has Toronto’s pick. And they reason they have it is because of the Kessel trade. You know Kessel was on board with signing there if the trade didn’t happen. Honestly, after Fletcher cleaned house a mere year ago, it seems like they had no problems attracting that guy, at least. I really don’t buy too much into this business that fixing the team at any cost is so much bad PR than being a crap team that isn’t going anywhere because its stuck with overpriced contracts.

The two things that players like are winning and making money. The Rangers have had a revolving door of free agents, but people keep going because the cash is there. Players will come if you give them a reason to come. Sitting on these pricey contracts isn’t a reason for players to come. So really, that idea isn’t doing any more for us.

And obviously an idea such as what Fletcher did would have to go through Katz. He’s not going to shit-can Tambellini if he’s on board with the idea. And I think fans could be accepting of it if they know what the plan is. Sitting around waiting and seeing if we get in is a lot harder a plan for people to buy in to, I think.

13. DropIt says:

I laughed. When I came in here before reading anything, I expected a ‘everything is good’ type article only to come across ‘Blow this shit up!’

But it seems to be the majority opinion from most I’ve heard. I hope that Edmonton does it, personally. Mainly because: A) I would like to watch a rebuild happen while being able to witness the reaction of the fans with what could be some pretty significant moves. And of course, B) so I can watch a few more years of playoff-less Oilers :P

Also, Gr8one, some good thought in those trades. I think that is pretty fair for Horton and some reasonably placed picks.

The Chicago one, I think would be a bit iffy, and Chicago doesn’t own the first overall pick.

I can see the Oilers moving all assets at deadline time when any contending team is likely to over pay for a player.

And I think the first one gone will be Souray, personally.
    Should be fun to watch through though

haha, well DropIt… us Oil fans have been on a Rollercoaster ride for a while. Win one, and all is pretty.. lose one, and it’s “SELL THE G’DAMN TEAM!”. I never used to be negative about the team, but losing for what will now be a 4th year in a row… I think we should stop kidding ourselves. This is the whole reason we’re in this mess. The team is borderline. It’s not horrible.. but it’s also not good. So any given year, there’s an even chance of making the playoffs or missing them. And well, when you throw in some external factors (injuries, for example), that makes our chances even worse.

Tambellini and Lowe seem content on making the team a contender to make the playoffs. Darryl Sutter has his sights set on being a conference contender. There’s a big difference between the two. So while we’re fumbling our way along trying to make the playoffs, you guys are battling for the division lead. Of course that kind of team doesn’t happen over night. But the more they continue this masquerade the longer it will be year after year of trying to claw into the playoffs.

Like I said, I’m not going to be fooled by one win.. especially against a team that didn’t show up.

15. Mr.Majestyk says:

I’m actually really surprised that in the last week or so there has been so much made of ‘blowing the team up’ and tanking. Not too long ago everyone was talking about how ‘after the injuries we’ll be alright’.

Are there holes on our team? Yes, there are holes on every team that doesn’t make the playoffs, and plenty of the ones that do. Can we be a playoff team? Yes, I think we can, with some tweaking.

I’m feeling sort of lazy to expand on this post but it seems like many fans are having a knee jerk reaction for whatever reason. Why not start over every year with a new coaching staff and new GM any year we don’t make the playoffs? That would work right?

well, tie me down and call me retarded!

why the hell was I thinking it was Chicago??

my gawd that was fail of Epic proportions.

lol, perfect example of why I’m just a pseudo GM. ffs.

17. DropIt says:

Trust me Racki, your preaching to the choir. I still have the ‘Craig Button’ days.

Its frustrating as all hell, and I know your pain.

At least it looks as though the Oiler management has possibly settled on a plan instaed of spinning their wheels in the same spot they have been the past 3 years.

Hopefully for the Oilers’ sake, Tambellini can do what Sutter has done, and continues to do for Calgary. But I guess 1 step at a time.

Steve-O: Staples isn’t on the sports beat however, and can’t “lose” his access. Not to take anything away from what he does, cause its good shite, and not to say that the peoples on the sports beat shouldn’t call out the management, but they haven’t prior to this year.

Exactly Steve-O. Staples can say what is the reality in black and white and not have to worry, because essentially, he’s not part of the locker room mic toting crowd.

I’ve read his stuff pretty much religiously this year and last. I just find it refreshing that there is a guy out there who’s not BSing to keep his press card.

Never have I seen a team so long mired in crap that keeps it’s coach and GM for so long except maybe the Islanders. I’m honestly thinking that we are following and have followed the very same path in terms of early success and then longstanding failure that the Isles have.

You know I’m not happy about the state of our franchise when I find myself agreeing with Mike Milbury on HNIC. That, is insanity.

Where’s Susan Powter when you need her? STOP THE INSANITY!!

19. steve-o at another computer says:

Racki:

they didn’t have problems attracting players because fletcher wasn’t gm anymore. thats what i was getting at. dude comes in, cuts everyone and then they bring in another gm who is considered a players gm

I seemed to have left out my response to that part. Really, do the players suddenly wipe their memories and pretend like nothing happened because a new GM is in there? I don’t think so. It wasn’t like it was a crazy Fletcher idea to come in and dismantle the team. The President there obviously hired him because he knew what he was doing and wouldn’t mess around. And he’s actually still in the organization somewhere, I believe.

The GM doesn’t have to be everybody’s buddy to be a good GM.

And Mr.M, I just want the team to pick a direction.. up or down. Tambellini seems content in just leaving things as is, and I don’t think that’s a good idea at all.

As far as this year, no the team doesn’t need major changes. Come next year, that might not be the case though given how many players need to be re-signed (or let go).

21. DropIt says:

By leaving the team the same, isn’t that basically making the decision, Racki? :P

Well, I know you’d like to think so, but the team isn’t going to hit rock bottom with the team it has because it’s not *that* bad. Lest we forget, they are currently on pace for a franchise record amount of injuries. I do think that when healthy they’re anywhere in the 8-12ish range. Not good enough to be a consistent playoff team, not bad enough to get the awesome draft picks ;) Pride will get them probably around 10th, I figure, when all is said and done. Barring miracles/more injuries.

23. Mr.Majestyk says:

We already have a bunch of quality prospects on the way up in the organization. What the NHL club can do is create a positive and winning environment in Edmonton so that when its their time, there is a solid foundation already built. This is the main reason I don’t like the whole blowing it up idea. Changes, of course, there are changes with every team, every year, but I don’t think this is the time to think of blowing the whole thing up. We’ve got plenty of time to figure out this season who the bums are, and who we want to keep around.

Maybe we should make a permanent list of guys we want to see gone, and then look back on it and see if/when those guys are let go. I know you were a big supporter of Penner last year Racki, and so was I, but how would it look if we traded him for nothing and he came back with a year like he’s having this year?

Question for DropIt. How many of the current Flames are top 5 draft picks? Just curious because I keep hearing how we’ll never get really good unless we a number one or number two pick. One of the biggest contributers to the Flames success had nothing to do with drafting. They picked up Kipper from San Jose when he was an unknown commodity.

24. DropIt says:

Ya, the Flames, to my 7 am knowledge have drafter as high as number 6 overall twice (Cory Stillman, Sandy McCarthy…. Yes they both went that early and I’m embarrassed for them)

Its kind of odd, but there was no rebuild in Calgary from bottoming out and drafting well. Craig Button never drafted well, he was awful at it. We just went from bad to SCF with the addition of Daryl Sutter. The only difference though, is Calgary was not in the same position; Cap Wise. We never had a Horcoff, Pisani and Khabibulin that put us into a situation where Daryl had to deal with. So I’m not sure you can make a direct comparison from the two. Tambellini may have a longer fix job then we ever did.

25. DropIt says:

I realized that I forgot to answer your question lol. Npone of Calgary’s current line-up are a top 5 pick, to my knowledge anyways.

Very compelling argument Mr. M.

And well, the other side of things is what DropIt said… Sutter didn’t have to deal with Lowe’s dirty mess. As I always say, I was a big supporter of Lowe until around ’06, then it started to go downhill. Eventually the Oilers are going to have to deal with this mess as Pisani is the only big salary (2.5M) coming off this year and we’ve got 13 RFAs to deal with plus RFAs.

I can see your point that the team shouldn’t be blown up. As I’ve been saying though, I just want to know they’re committed to making it a real contender if that’s what their intent is. I don’t think this team is good enough now to be a contender. And when I say contender, I mean a team that can GET to the playoffs consistently (anything can happen once you’re there, as we know).

It’s been the same problem as a while… they’ve been focused on that star for Hemsky too much and are missing other more bigger holes. I guess they just have higher hopes for their defense than I do. I’d really like to see them trade one of the top 4 for a real solid guy who can shut players down. We don’t have a single guy on this team who you can say really can do that, and I can’t see anyone other than maybe Smid really growing into that role. And yes, I throw Gilbert’s name in trade suggestions a lot… and yes, I realize he’ll likely be a good player one day… but I’m afraid that sometimes you’re going to have to give up guys like that for the greater benefit of the team.

If we’re trying to make the playoffs this year, then act like it. Cut the freeloaders, and free up some cash for a trade later. Note, Horcoff isn’t on my freeloader list… so I’m not suggesting to drop him. His contract is bad, yes, but he’s not one of the problem players in my eyes.

Also, it’s too late now, but the Oilers have to stop shooting themselves in the foot with bad contracts (ex. Khabi, as was mentioned by DropIt).

Funny comment from Gregor on Oilers Nation today that describes 95% of Oil fans:

On one shoulder you have your little devil fan dressed in an Oiler jersey convincing you that 54 games is ample time to turn this around and get into the playoffs. “Jeff Deslauriers is finally going to live up to his draft position and become and impact goalie,” your devil fan says.

“Who needs Ales Hemsky and his sick stick handling skills, Bobby Nilsson and Patches O’Sullivan were playing in his shadow and now they flourish. Zack Stortini has always been the 4th line checking center who can win faceoffs. Ryan Potulny will be the Fernando Pisani of the 2006 playoffs and he will score 26 by seasons end. Trust me”

While you try to fight off these ridiculous notions, there is a part of you that wants to believe them. How awesome would the Oilers be next year when Hemsky returns after making the playoffs without him this year you tell yourself.

Then your Angel fan tosses his halo knocking the devil off your shoulder and rips into.

“Wake up Kool-aid boy. This team can’t lose every game down the stretch, so the win over Detroit was just a speed bump. The Oilers aren’t tough enough, they can’t win a faceoff, their defensive zone coverage sucks and their goalie’s game fluctuates more than Oprah’s weight.

“Why do you do this to yourself? Just when you think this team is done, they win one stupid game and they suck you back in. You are blinded by your loyalty to want this team to win, that you can’t fathom another spring without playoffs. Well, chump a win of the Wings is not the beginning of a solid 55 game stretch”

28. NorwegianOiler says:

Question: Do people take Staples more seriously just because he’s associated with a news agency? To me his ideas and his language are excelled by a number of people on the Oilers forum (and most, if not all, of the posters here!)

Does he merely cater to ideas we already seem to harbour?

Also, I can never adjust to and accept the counter-comment to any ‘excuse’ or ‘explanation’ being “I don’t want to hear that”. I think that’s failing to address the point. It seems to be spawned only from frustration, which is fair enough, but it can never give weight to anything but a measurement of frustration.

Just to clarify, the “I don’t want to hear that” part and anything outside of what’s written in the content in the links I posted are my own words. So I don’t want you to be confused thinking he said that.

You’re right, poor words on my choice. But my point there is I don’t think it’s a valid excuse. Yes, Lowe didn’t do any favors by giving him bad contracts, but it’s not like we’re the only team that has run into that problem. Other teams have moved those kinds of contracts before, and other teams have eaten contracts before via waivers (that’s not his decision to make, necessarily though – more of a Katz call, but I’m directing my comments towards the whole triumvirate). No one would have thought Gomez’ contract was movable, for example. And the Islanders have made it known that they have the go ahead to pick up salary to improve their team if need be. I might be a bit crazy in thinking that Moreau and Staios (to name a couple) have value to other teams though, but I think they do.

I’m also heavily in favor of the Oilers taking a loss on some of the bad contracts they have in order to improve their situation. If not to free up salary for this year to either trade for some other players or “tank for taylor/tyler”, then to help their situation with what will be an ugly RFA year for the team next year.

As far as David Staples goes, I’d say initially he gained his reputation the quick route through his Journal connections, but he’s maintained it with some pretty good posts. I’m not going to get into a debate about his qualifications though, as he does read and post here from time to time, and I’ve also met him (great guy). He himself admitted that he is a blogger though and does this on his own time. So on that note, I treat him as an equal. He will tend to have his posts that I don’t agree with just like I’ll have my posts that he and/or others don’t agree with. There’s a whole lot of opinion in the blog world, so that all should be taken into account, for sure. But I find he’s starting to make a better name for himself, not because of Journal connections, but because the content he puts out has improved since I first stumbled on his blog. Just my 2 cents there. Anyways, as I said, prefer that we don’t get into a debate about another Foil user.

Btw, I will admit that my own fickleness as a fan is often only exceeded by Boston Oiler (just teasing, buddy). I’ve struggled with the idea as to whether this team should tank or not. There are good arguments on both sides of this which is what makes it such a tough thing to make a decision on (as to what I’d like to see the Oilers do). I do think they have it in them to make the playoffs this year, but I also do know that the wrong couple of circumstances and they’re out. We shouldn’t need the perfect storm in order to get into the playoffs each year. And I’m just all about seeing this team be more like those jerks to the south… fighting for a division lead, not a #8 spot.

Nice stat.

Flyers with Blair Betts in lineup 10-3, without 3-8.coincidence?

Hmm. Interesting. I’m not sure what other factors were involved (other injuries, strengths of teams being played, etc.)… but that’s interesting. Very easy for it to be a coincidence though. `

33. MrOiler says:

Not so fast, Johnson …

After watching the last 2 games by the Oil, I’m not sure that Staples knows what he’s talking about. The Oil are only 1 game below .500 and they lead the league in man games lost.

That doesn’t sound like a lost cause to me. Besides, teams aren’t built with 1 top 5 draft pick. Pittsburgh and Chicago were basket cases for years. The same with Washington.

Tanking one season and thinking it will drastically change things is a pipe dream. If you’re ready to sink the team for 5 seasons, then we’ll talk.

*snipped* In one article he mentions Gilbert, Grebeskov, O’Sullivan, Penner and Hemsky as HIGH PRICED VETS……….high priced, yes. vets, ummm no. Tambi is trying to get stuff done but you gotta realize its not as easy as it sounds. You can’t just call up a team and give them Ethan Moreau for a 3rd round pick. A lot of shit factors in…..Anyway I’m not willing to wait 5 years for this team. We are young right now with guys coming up, stay the course.

Just for the record, we’ve already had 3 years of failure. The Pens went through 4 to get where they are (although they actually had 5 very high picks, thanks in part to the lottery after the lockout). They tanked a fair bit better than we did though, getting top 5 picks 5 years in a row.

My point again is just to pick a direction and be committed to it. Tambellini in the off-season showed he was looking for the big deals, and I don’t agree with that. Not sure if he is still doing the same now (if he’s even active at all), but this team isn’t a Kovalchuk away from being playoff contenders. It needs a few cheaper vets.. guys like Comrie.. a strong, shutdown defender in particular and some upgrade on size.

Montreal has already moved a couple of role guys recently. Latendresse probably would have been a good pickup, due to his size and he went for Benoit Pouliot. I’m not delusional, thinking that Latendresse would bring us the cup, but a few small changes like that would go a long way… and those deals are a lot easier to make than the home run deals.