Team Canada announces its roster

Rick Nash
Corey Perry
Mike Richards
Eric Staal
Joe Thorton
Jonathan Toews

Also of note, Denis Grebeshkov was named to Team Russia yesterday, and Lubomir Visnovsky was named to Slovakia.

32 Responses to “Team Canada announces its roster”

1. Horpensky says:

Goalies: no surprise

Defensemen: Very happy Doughty made it. Not sure about Seabrook though, but Steve Y said because he played well with Keith and that had a huge impact on the decision. Lowe just said he called one of them (wouldn’t say which one) and he was just ecstatic, I’m guessing Seabrook was that one.

Forwards: Patrice Bergeron. Sounded like they picked him as the go-to guy who does everything in any situation… kinda like what Horcoff was to MacT

I think Canada has a really well-rounded team, the biggest concern I think is going to be team Russia. Kovie, Geno and OV is a scary thought but we have some experienced D-men to shut them down. Niedermayer is a perfect captain for this team and Pronger will be a good match-up against offensive juggernauts, if he can stay clear of the penalty box.

Brendan Morrow will be huge for this team. He’s like Bobby Clarke in his hayday. It will be interesting to see if there are any injuries and who will step up in that case.

No Tampa players, no Flames blueliners and no real surprises other than that for me. Carter maybe, but he’s had a crap season.

4. Horpensky says:

I really thought Bouwmeester was going to make it, but I think Doughty was the big reason why he (and Green) didn’t make it. Doughty’s got the better offense than Bouwmeester, and the better defensive side over Green, and more versatile in general.

I was also a huge fan of Morrow, I’m glad he made it too. I watched him at the orientation camp and was really impressed with his grit, and I thought he was exactly what Team Canada needs

5. OilerTyler says:

The biggest surprise for me was the absence of a Tampa Bay player on offense. I thought Stamkos or St Louis would of made it for sure.

I love the fact that there is no Calgary defenseman. I also love the fact that 16 of the 23 players play in the western conference, that says alot about how much harder it is to be in the west due to the larger amount of skill in our conference.

Not a bad team at all, we will definately challenge for gold

Patrice Bergeron does not deserve to be on this team. He not good enough. I watch him most nights and there is no way he should be on tihs team. Horrible pick to put him over penner by Lowe and pals.

7. DropIt says:

8. DropIt says:

Sorry BO. But Bergeron deserved the spot over Dustin Penner, and there are probably a solid 5 or more players ahead of Penner.

I wouldn’t have picked Penner either. He’s played good this season, but I wouldn’t bring a guy in based on that. Give me the guys that have always been reliable.

10. OilerTyler says:

DropIt: Calgary got snubbed, but they will get a rest, so I’m not too upset. For the sake of the country’s team, however, I think Bouwmeester should be there instead of Drew Doughty. But they haven’t played well enough this season, and they missed out. Hopefully that will open their eyes and get them playing better.

I think Bouwmeester wasn’t picked because his offensive game this season has been non-existent. 2 goals so far this season, ouch.

Bouwmeester pissed me off in the pool, to say the least ;) Thought that would be a sleeper pick. It was asleep alright!

he’ll pick it up and you’ll regret trading him for rask

Bouwmeester is the most over rated defenseman in Hockey, Bar none.

I’m glad the Flames are committed to him like they are though. :)

I’m glad Calgary’s committed to him for the len

gr8one: Bouwmeester is the most over rated defenseman in Hockey, Bar none.he’s never put up up more than 46 points in a season, and that is playing top minutes, and top PP time…so about the same offensive output as Grebs/Gilbert player lesser minutes and less PP time, he is good defensively, but IMO still not outstanding.
    don’t get me wrong, I think he’s a great player still, but just not as great as a lot of people perceive him to be.I’m glad the Flamers are committed to him like they are though.
    I’m glad Calgary’s committed to him for the len

oh yeah, and fanoof is the second most overrated, although I think fanoof has the package to put it together to be an elite, I think an attitude adjustment could do him wonders, it just seems to me his early successes may have went to his head and he thinks he’s better than he actually is.

15. DropIt says:

I wonder where people got the impression Bouwmeester was going to come in and score 20 goals and 60 points. He did put up fair numbers in Florida, but no flame fans expected a huge offensive game from him. If you ever REALLY watch him, without your hate for Calgary, there is nothing over-rated about Jay Bouwmeester. The way he opens up the ice, and his incredible skating provides the opprutunity to score goals. Even if he is not getting them, many of the goals Calgary scores are in direct relation to the plays Bouwmeester provides.
    He may end up with Grebeshkov/Gilbert numbers on the year, but there is absolutely no comparison between them and Bouwmeester. When we start playing offensive powerhouse teams like Russia/Sweden and even Slovakia, I think Bouwmeester’s play will be felt heavily.

On a seperate point, I’m a little surprised at how much I heard ‘players need to play well this year to earn their spot’. Even though we’re seeing Staal there. And even Neidermayer, who has a tremendous history of stellar play, but has un-doubtedly lost a step or two this year.

16. Mr.Majestyk says:

I would have liked to see Penner there playing with Getzlaf and Perry. We’ve seen what Penner can do this year when he’s motivated. Being named to Team Canada would have been awesome. Aside from Penner, I’d say Mike Fisher deserved Bergeron’s spot.

17. DropIt says:

I’d say St.Louis or Cammalleri deserved a shot over Penner

18. Mr.Majestyk says:

Hey everyone. I was just thinking about how many great Canadian players there are and what a B squad would look like if Canada was somehow allowed to ice 2 Olympic teams. I didn’t put a ton of work into this group, but I thought it would start more discussion as to who would make a good second team. If I overlooked someone, feel free to add them to your own lineups.

Gagne/Savard/Sharp
    Cammalleri/Carter/St.Louis
    Penner/Fisher/Doan
    Stamkos/Richards/Zajak
    Tavares

Green/Boumeester
    Jovonovski/Wideman
    Phaneuf/Regehr
    Souray

Turco
    Ward
    and just so Otto likes me, Roli;)

Where’s Ryan Smyth!!? :P

20. Mr.Majestyk says:

I purposely left Smyth off the team, so that you could question it Racki. haha.

21. Mr.Majestyk says:

damn, I should have posted my B-Squad in the general forum as nobody else made a team. I can only assume that everyone is happy with my selections, well, everyone but Racki. Smyth is the first replacement incase of injury.

Did you intentionally leave off Lecavalier too? :P That guy gets no respect… nooo respect!

23. Mr.Majestyk says:

You’re right, he gets no respect. I do have him in my pool though and he’s turned things around since the start of the year when I was tempted to deal him.

Also, I’m a fan of trading for Lecavalier. My fake rumour is Horcoff and Khabi plus our 1st pick overall for Lecavalier, Smith and Tampa’s first pick. The deal would get done at the draft not during the season.

Oh man, I’d love that deal. I would give up our Hall/Seguin pick to get that one done. Of course, hindsight in 5 years could kick me in the ass for that one.

25. Mr.Majestyk says:

I’m just turning into a regular Eklund Twatwaffle. haha. My other trade is Souray and Cogs to San Jose for Clowe, Mitchell and Huskins.

I’d most like to see the Oilers unload all the salary can, for little salary in return. That’s probably an unrealistic hope though. I wouldn’t mind them hanging on to Souray. I’d REALLY like them to hang on to Visnovsky though. His effect on the team (ex. his D-partners) is very recognizable.

I wouldn’t mine Clowe here, but not so sure about the other two. I wonder if they’d do Clowe for Moreau plus one of Nilsson, O’Sullivan or a cheaper smaller player near the deadline…….. :P

27. Mr.Majestyk says:

The main guy I’d want is Clowe, but I try and figure what would work salary wise, and be fair to both sides so that it makes it more realistic. I’d definitely try and dangle less, why overpay, but if that deal was on the table, I’d do it.

Okay, so once those deals go through, we swing a deal with the Sabres. Moreau, Nilsson, Grebeshkov for Stafford and Tallinder. This one I’m a bit iffy on. I like Tallinder and Stafford, but Tallinder is a UFA after this season, so as nice as it would be to get him, he’d likely be gone in the summer. We’d definitely shave off cap hit with this move though.

I don’t know enough about Mitchell and Huskins, but I think they’d be very very small pieces in the deal. So to simplify things, would you be willing to drop Souray and Cogliano for Clowe? Sheldon Souray had the same amount of points as Clowe last year (Clowe’s best production so far)… just to put that in perspective!

29. Mr.Majestyk says:

You think Mitchell and Huskins have negative value? I’m not even sure the Sharks are going to be looking at any major moves come trade deadline, but I figured I’d put Souray in there so that their core would be

Boyle/Souray
    Blake/Vlasic
    Demers/Murray

A pretty solid unit.

I see Huskins as a big stay at home type defenseman. Mitchell is a good PK’er and faceoff guy. He plays with a ton of energy. A Reasoner type.

I wouldn’t say they have negative value.. well… maybe. I don’t think they have much value though. Huskins is a bottom pairing. What you see isn’t quite what you get with him too. He’s not really all that physical of a guy, for a guy with his size. As for Mitchell, just looking at stats, he seems like a very poor mans Reasoner in the faceoff circle (43.x this year, 49.x his other year). And well, since guys like Reasoner are cheap to begin with, I think better could be had.

So really, those players aren’t adding any value, in my opinion. I am pretty sure that the Sharks would do this deal, if Souray is a guy they need. I don’t think we would, but there’s definitely enough there on their team to make something happen though.

31. Mr.Majestyk says:

I think Huskins could be seen as negative value, and in that sense I could see the Sharks doing a deal like this because they would unload Huskins. I think Mitchell is a good 3rd or 4th liner. Basically what we get in return is a stay at home defender(what we need), an energy player who can PK(we also need)and a big power forward(everyone needs). If we are going to move players, I hope we’re making trades that not only alleviate cap hit, but address our needs.

I’m going to go against you on this one! Although usually I agree with your suggestions, minus omitting Smytty and Lecavalier from your Canada B Roster :P

I wouldn’t do the deal. Cogliano > Huskins+Mitchell . Souray > Clowe. I think it would be a bad deal. Clowe would be a good target though. So I like your thoughts on him. I just don’t see it as a good idea to give up Souray alone, let alone Souray and Cogliano for them. I think with those two players involved, a better package could be had.

I think if we’re aiming for a stay at home d-man, let’s aim a bit higher too. I do know Boynton is available again next year (extension aside). I think I’ve banged that drum enough times though. But lets say he actually had a slight desire to play here.. he’s the same price as Huskins and is much better value imho.