State of undress…

By , December 30, 2009 11:10 am

It seemed like a good idea at the time...

The Big Fish

• Nikolai  Khabi”Boohoo I hurt my back”lin ($3,750,000)

The Replacements

• Jeff Drouin Deslauriers ($625,000)
  • Devan Dubnyk (AHL $90K, NHL $700K)

In The Pipeline

• Olivier Roy (Juniors)
  • Bryon Pitton (AHL $50K, NHL $550K)

That’s our current outlook for the time being, and with Khabi out for who knows how long it falls on the replacements to hold the fort.  JDD hasn’t been terrible, but he does let in soft goals at inopportune times (really, are there opportune times?) and the only look I’ve had at DD with the big club was a 7-2 embarrassment against the Blues.

Olivier did get an invite to the junior tryouts this year which speaks to his potential so perhaps in a few years time we will have something of interest coming out of our development system.  Fingers crossed.

From what I’ve read it doesn’t sound like Pitton will be re-signed.

* Salaries pulled from CapGeek.com

Oh, and pretend the gloves are on the correct hands… ;-)

9 Responses to “State of undress…”

It’s a good thing Tambellini signed Rehabibulin to 4-years. Oh and as usual… comic gold, Trogdor!

I’m a big fan of the cut and paste goaltenter strategy. lol

Is Fisher even in our system anymore? Man we’re F’d in goal for now. Hopefully Mucha gets an invite again next year again. He’s a great goalie on a terrible team. He could be a decent prospect IMO. Same with Jung, but I see Jung’s top potential as an AHL starter/relief NHLer. Mucha I could see being a Leighton/Clemmenson kind of guy.

EDIT: I voted for Hobo McGillicutty. A la the game we beat the Flames and lost out on……NM!!!

What can we do, it’s really tough to say. For those who want Halak here I’m not too keen on that. Well, not his agent anyways and for the fact that Halak wants to become starter too. Once Khabi does return and he will return then where does that put Halak. Three more seasons until he becomes starter? Or will he push Khabi like Huet did. Either way I highly doubt a trade will take place and if it does it won’t be on the goalie front.

So then we keep riding JDD and DD, (love the comic by the way, awesome job Trogdor) where will that put us? Well if we keep on pace we’ll slowly seep down to last place in the NHL but that doesn’t rest fully on the goaltenders shoulders. The argument here really is does Tambi try to make a quick and temporary fix or does he “ride out his options” and continue on pace.

Personally I think, if he does make a “quick fix” we’ll just be stuck in the “winds of shit”.

Oh and Racki, this is just for you, inspired by someones sig on the forum from last year but I can’t remember who’s it was.

Chucker.. exactly like that game against the Flamers where they decided to end their 81 game losing streak.

Zack, it was probably Betzky… nicely done though :P Also, I think Khabibulin should have been brought in as a “transition” goaltender. For 4 years @ 3.75M, it’s hard to think of him as that. And realistically, I can’t see him having the body to be a full time starter for 4 years either. So who knows what will happen with him.

yeah, it’s not the cap hit I don’t like about Khabi’s contract…it’s the term, two years would have been ideal, 3 acceptable, but 4 was just plain stupid, especially considering his retirement would still count against the cap.

6. Mr.Majestyk says:

If they decided to bring in Halak, because they are concerned about Khabi’s durability not only this year but beyond, maybe Halak is okay with sharing duties or battling Khabi for the starting role. Atleast in Edmonton he has an opportunity to take that spot. In Montreal, its Price’s job. It doesn’t matter how many games Price stinks it up, he is their man. The next question is, how much does Halak command when its time for a new contract?

Yah, again, Khabibulin really should be the transitional goalie (but isn’t, by virtue of his horrible contract). But let’s humor it and say it was a good contract. I would be slowly trying to work our young goaltender into the full time starting role. As things started to get a little questionable in net, I’d lay off him a bit and hand things over to Khabi.

That could still happen, but with Khabi @ this price for 4 years, I don’t think Tambellini had any plans on that slow transition starting this year. Either that, or he envisioned his transition to be a HELL of a lot slower than I did (either way, this doesn’t justify the length of that contract).

Well, I’ll put this in here, seeing as it’s a goaltending thread. Saw Olivier Roy tonight, pretty solid, but keep in mind it was against the last placed team in the Q in the Hfx Mooseheads. Anyway, the final score was 4-2 Cape Breton. It was too bad the Moosehead goalie let in the first 2 shots he faced, otherwise it obviously would have been a much closer game – didn’t help that his own D-man scored the 4th goal on him Steve Smith style either.

Anyway, back to Roy, his night started off slowly (7 SOG in the 1st) but by the end the Mooseheads had 24 SOG. He struck me as being very good positionally, not flopping around much and played his angles well. The only 2 goals he gave up were PP goals – one was a screened 5 on 3 and the other was double deflected on a 5 on 4. At first I thought he could have had his pad flush on the ice for that one but my son, who was sitting with friends closer to the ice told me it deflected down and under the pad so difficult to anticipate. As the game wore on the Moose got some good chances in close and he stayed square to the puck well. There was a goal called back where the Moosehead player drove to the net from the left wing, not sure if it was called back due to goalie interference or because the net came off before the puck went in the net. They failed to give the crowd the reason.

Anyway, apparently tonight the Moosehead’s first goal ended a 155 minute long shutout streak for Roy, which is 5th all time in the QMJHL, which is pretty impressive given the league is in it’s 40th year and other guys on the list below him are Luongo and Theodore. He also actually holds the 4th longest shutout streak at 167 minutes from back in 07/08. Finally, Roy also set a Cape Breton franchise record of 10 shutouts last night when the Eagles beat the Moose 6-0. Junior is pretty high-scoring so that’s fairly impressive over 2 1/2 years.

RDS rumour has Roy being traded to Montreal Juniors for Jake Allen + a couple other players from each side + picks – just a rumour for now, if it has legs I assume it will be announced after the World Juniors. Of course that has no impact on the Oilers except maybe to put him on a slightly weaker team and see how he responds.

Interesting, thanks for the LNOF… if the trade goes through, that would be a pretty good test for him.