Moose set to GM World Hockey Championship team

By , December 8, 2009 9:56 pm
Messier displaying his fascination with stubbies... I mean, the beer.

Messier displaying his fascination with stubbies... I mean, the beer.

Couldn’t help but whip out that old pic again… :P

Mark Messier will be named as GM for Canada at the World Hockey Championships in Germany. The tournament is run in May and is one that has been fairly familiar to Oilers players lately (sadly). This is the tournament known as the “sorry your team didn’t make the playoffs” tournament. Messier has been assisting Glen Sather in New York in getting his coffee, so this is a big step up for the Moose.

Note: stomped on the Edmonton Oilers vs Tampa Bay Lightning GDT, so if you’re looking for it, it is here.

8 Responses to “Moose set to GM World Hockey Championship team”

1. otto84 says:

Racki, I can’t believe you used the term ‘whip out’ when referencing this picture. For the love of innocent children, Mess… don’t whip it out.

2. Horpensky says:

GM in training. Pluck all the good players on the crappy teams that don’t make it. If it wasn’t for this tourney, Smyth probably wouldn’t have the Captain Canada title. Sadly we were always out of the playoffs and he got to play there.

I was going to make a Smytty comment too. You’re right… lots of trips to this tourney for “Captain Canada”

The best part of the Messier picture is that he’s holding one of those old school stubby beer bottles while in the dressing room…lol, can you imagine Crosby post game in the dressing room swiggin’ on a wobbly pop? I love it!

what you talkin’ bout Mess?

I always found it kind funny in an ironic way that Smytty always captained team Canada, and thus given that nickname, yet wasn’t even the captain of his own NHL team.

Always loved that pic but I’ve never known when it was taken. Anyone know?

6. Mr.Majestyk says:

I think Coleman was about to write down Dana Plato’s digits for Mess:D

LateNightOilFan: Always loved that pic but I’ve never known when it was taken.Anyone know?

If I recall correctly, it was after they won the first cup and he had just won the conn smythe

Big step for Moose. That pic is a good one lol