Monday Mourning Standings

By , December 29, 2009 8:39 am

Here is a picture of the Oilers powerplay from the row 6 seats I was at.

Well, I’m back at work and am less than impressed with that, I should have taken more time off as this place is a soul sucking factory. I was happy until walking in that front door…that and I’m kinda hungover. I wasn’t around much this holiday break (minus 1 smart-ass comment), but I did watch all the games and thought to myself the entire time that we are pretty lucky we dropped that hack Mac-T and picked up a real coach.

Well this sucks…at least they started to fight. I’m trying to not look at the standings as I post them as it’s probably really depressing.

But how about that Smid guy…pretty good player.

Hopefully everyone ate lots, drank lots and enjoyed their time off! And now on to the standings.

Conference Standings

Anaheim Ducks 38 37
New York Islanders 40 37
Columbus Blue Jackets 40 37
Toronto Maple Leafs 40 37
Edmonton Oilers 39 34
Carolina Hurricanes 39 27

And in the pool Racki is still #1, however I pulled into second and Trogdor is still holding down fourth. This week Trogdor and Racki face-off and I hope that Trogdor gives Racki the biggest dick punch so I can make up some room.

Oh, and Canada is first in their pool (leading the US by goal diff.), while in the other pool Sweden and Russia are leading their pool, with the Czech in dead last (that I do find surprising). Eberle is killing it, as is MPS and our two picks on Finland played pretty well in the exhibition game that I saw, so we can get excited with that.

See, we don’t need to tank to get good picks. I hope that just to spite all the people that want to tank, we do end up last and lose out in the lottery. That will show all of you.

26 Responses to “Monday Mourning Standings”

You’re a homo.

Racki: You’re a homo.Btw, did you intentionally misspell morning as mourning? I don’t really think you’re that clever.

yes sir, i did spell that correctly (in fact I spelled it morning first, then quickly edited it once my mind happened upon the wittiness)

and does someone not like the idea of tanking and getting screwed by the lottery…or are you upset at my comments about Mac-T/Quinn….or is it the dick punch comment. You’re going to need to clarify your hateful comments

well really, I hate all of that.. but the comment was directed against your “I hope we do end up last and lose out in the lottery” comment. Why must you hate Edmonton like that?

I can almost guarantee that come Mid January you will be wearing your Tank For Taylor/Tyler shirt.

I love edmonton, thats why I can’t see them tank a season

those teams are the embarrassment of the league, and I for one do not want to see my beloved oilers as one of those teams.

Ok, be all for not tanking, but hoping we lose the lottery is just cruel…

On another note, final round of this NHL Arena Blog-off… head over and vote:

Down to only 4 blogs, with this one being one of them. Don’t make me cheat, you ungrateful sons of….!!!! Just kidding..

7. MetalOil says:

It ain’t tanking if we try our best but still end up with a top 3 pick like we are well on our way to achieving. Great article about the state of the team here. http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/columnists/story.html?id=8a2e2db3-a17e-41da-a26f-e85273cd59dc&p=2
    I know that the team ain’t gonna try to lose game on purpose. There is too much pride and professionalism in these players and coaches for that to happen and that is very understandable but the bottom line is that we just ain’t a very good team right now. We do try our best most nights and that is clearly not getting it done so a top 3 pick seems inevitable right now. When it comes to the last month of the season and we are in a position to receive a top 2 pick well then throwing a game might be more acceptable but until we reach that point it is unreasonable to ask these professionals to not give it there all.

8. Horpensky says:

Horpensky: We have to beat the Leafs. I don’t care if they’re 3 points ahead of us, they’re a !@#$ing terrible team. I will be SO embarrassed if we lost to them.

I saw your new sig on OMB – that must kill you!
    I wouldn’t hold my breath about the Oil beating the Leafs – the Leafs are actually a pretty hard working team. Can’t stand Wilson though, not to mention Burke. So, they would be the perfect team to play slump-buster for the Oilers, especially in front of all the Leaf fans that will come out of the woodwork at Rexall.

Well Even though these guys sucks, and there is no hope for the playoffs, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Hall, Eberle, MPS, Penner, Hemsky, Gagner and many other young skilled forwards are in the system and will be here next year, while the defense will get younger with Steady Steve FINALLY leaving.

btw, Congrats to Vishnovsky for making the Slovakia olympic team. He will most likely be paired with Chara.

Oh, was watching the news earlier today, and they were saying that the Winter Classic might not be played until Saturday afternoon now, due to a big ass rain and snow strm due to hit Boston. Rain would ruin the ice surface if they played on it….

MetalOil: decent article.. pretty much the same thing several of us have been saying for a while.

That’s the way I had envisioned the “Tank for Tyler” starting… if we see Horcoff go in for shoulder surgery, and if we see no player movements, then you know that’s what they’re trying to accomplish.

13. DropIt says:

Shouldn’t they keep Horcoff in the lineup if they want to tank it? -19(from what I remember). :P

Seriously though, I laughed at Steve-O’s ‘lose the lottery’ suggestion. Lol. I’m still excited to watch the Oilers blow it all up and see what kind of dealing they do from the deadline forth.

14. MetalOil says:

My stance on what players and personal need to go is this: Everyone who was around during our 2006 playoff run needs to go and that includes the big boss man KLowe as well. The Veterans are the ones bringing down this team in my opinion and we need to bring in fresh blood to move forward. Trade the vets like Moreau & Staois for picks if a playoff team suffers injury and/or wants to add some Vets at the deadline.

Pisani is kind of complicated but I can’t see him being worthy of a roster spot come next season even though it is through no fault of his own but lets face it he is fighting a very tough battle with a serious illness and should retire at seasons end. I think it might be a good idea to offer him an off ice role with the team, maybe as Rob Daum’s right hand man down on the farm.

That leaves Hemskey and Horcoff next on the chopping block. I have done a flip 180 on my opinion in the trade Hemmer debate. Before I would have never wanted to trade the magician with the puck that is Hemsky and I still love him but the final straw has been broken for me with this team and the time for a change is most defiantly now. We could get a very good return for him and could probably acquire a young & very decent top line center or a very good young shutdown defensemen.

Finally it comes to Horcoff. His contract is horrible and really handcuffs this team and Tamby’s ability to make any trades. Klowe should be fired on the spot for that one and now we have to bite the bullet until the years on his contract diminish to the point that Mr. Katz can cut a check and buy him out because he is untradeable. Maybe we can convince him ala the Caps and Nylander and get him to play in the “K”.

Once all of these vets are gone it will open up roster spots for our deep prospect pool. Room for players like Chorney, Eberle, Omark & Peckham next season and then for players like MPS, Rajala, Lander and O’Marra as well as.

I am hoping to Add Hall to that list as well :)

God love Horcoff and all, but let’s face it, that contract is ruining his once good name. So if by some miracle we can move it, I’d take the chance. Even if it’s the difference between drafting Taylor Hall and Taro Tsujimoto (look that one up for those not familiar with one of the funniest hoaxes in hockey history).

Better get your brown bag ready me thinks. Toronto will outwork us.

17. DropIt says:

18. MetalOil says:

H

DropIt: If Hemsky gets moved as Metak is suggesting, I think maybe Edmonton should try ti package Horcoff with him. I still think the Heatley deal would have been gold, regardless of how outstanding Penner has been, mainly because Horcoff was finally off the books. Would have been an Oiler gonsend if not for those meddling kids.

Horcoff was never a part of the package that would have gone to the Sens. It was to be Penner, Cogs & Smid so I am glad that it fell through. A ever improving Smid along with Penner who is a much more complete player then Heatley would have been way to much to give up for a selfish player who would have worn out his welcome bye his second season here.

19. mrgod2u says:

I agree with almost everything MetalOil said, especially the stuff about Pisani, and the remainder of the 2006SCF vets. I do hope that we can package Horc with a sweetener of a contract, but a buy out is a more realistic option. One other thing to note that may be an alternate route to offloading some cap space is to take back players with expiring/retiring contracts, that way we can shed salary in the offseason just by not re-signing guys. The crazy thing about trading for picks is that we will have to plug the holes by bringing in callups, and who knows they might find a way to win. It would be a sad irony if that were the case. They certainly couldn’t play worse than our current team.

I have tried all season to maintain a positive perspective on the team, but something inside me snapped when Calgary got that Shortie last night.

How the F*$@ do you let a team that played the night before get a Shortie on you?!?!?! WTF?!?!?!

So far though, I am more excited about having Eberle than getting Hall, but there is still plenty of tournament to go.

Buying out Horcoff would be bad at this point. Paying him for 10 more years isn’t a good option (and having that partial cap hit for that length…). If they were to ever do it, it would probably be with a year or two left on his contract.

If bought out at the end of the year:

SHAWN HORCOFF BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
    2010-2011: $733,333
    2011-2012: $733,333
    2012-2013: $1,233,333
    2013-2014: $3,233,333
    2014-2015: $4,233,333
    2015-2016: $1,733,333
    2016-2017: $1,733,333
    2017-2018: $1,733,333
    2018-2019: $1,733,333
    2019-2020: $1,733,333

That would be the amount that would be stuck on our cap hit each year. Is it worth it? For 10 years, I don’t think so. But maybe in a few years it would be a good idea. Mayyybe.

21. DropIt says:

Right. My bad. He Shawn wasn’t there. I was thinking of the unloading of a bad contract, which at the time was Penner’s. I’m dumb

Yah too bad we didn’t unload that dead beat Penner while we had the chance!! :P

23. DropIt says:

Lol. Ya, that looks good now. But at the time that would have looked tempting. Last year Penner played worth about 1 mill.

24. Trogdor says:

Penner?

Oh you mean the D-TRAIN!!!

25. DropIt says:

Now you just some cars to hook up and follow that D train. :P