Monday Morning Standings

By , December 8, 2009 1:46 pm
You know why he's grinning

You know why he's grinning

Its my Monday so it still counts.

Conference Standings

New York Islanders

Florida Panthers

Philadelphia Flyers

Anaheim Ducks

Toronto Maple Leafs

Carolina Hurricanes

And in the pool Racki is #1 with myself and Trogdor holding down #3 and #4 respectively. I won’t mention how bad I destroyed Trogdor last week however.

18 Responses to “Monday Morning Standings”

oh yeah…and not having Khabi either.

really, do we have much to complain about?

Agreed Gr8one. We dont have Comrie, who CAN score goals and I think will when he gets back. Khabi will help a well.

SIDE NOTE: Grebs WILL play this road trip. Weather he comes back against the Bolts or the Blues is unknown. This from Tambi himself.

ALSO: Hemsky had his surgery today. It was SUCCESSFUL. as per Oilers website

3. Horpensky says:

I actually wonder… if Hemsky, Grebs, and Bulin were playing, would we be where we are today? We’re playing some pretty damn good hockey on the road lately.

gr8one: Ya know, really…we bitch and moan a lot about this team, but if some one had of suggested that out of 30 games played, having not had Hemsky for 8 of them, not had Souray for 16 of them, not had Comrie for 14, not had Grebs for 11 and not to mention all the other man games lost, that we’d be sitting at .500, I think most of us would have taken it.oh yeah…and not having Khabi either.really, do we have much to complain about?

True enough. I think it’s reasonable to say we’d have at least three-four more wins than we currently do. If that’s the case we’re competing for a playoff spot.

My concern is a game like last night. We looked terrible against Florida, but they play like Minnesota. Boring trap. If we can come out of this road trip with another 3 points, we’ll be starting to climb out from under the mess we’ve been in. One thing is for sure, we should know what the real potential of this team is by the Olympic break. Hopefully it’s a lot better than I suspect.

+ That Grebs is coming back
    + Quinn: “Actually our best scoring line in the last little bit has been, Hack, Smack and Whack.”
    - To myself for not forgetting LTIR frees up cap space

I don’t know what it is but I always feel like punching Bob Stauffer in the face. Kinda feel that towards Pierre McGuire but he seems to know his hockey and he’d probably do something weird by trying to eat my fist.

If I was a player and getting interviewed I’d be making fun of them some how.

Stauffer drives me nuts too, Zack.

And who/what is “Hack, Smack and Whack?” supposed to be a reference to?

Not sure, all I know is that it’s not the top line. Quinn mentioned that we’re getting our scoring from more than just our top line. It’s coming from all around and really it could be any of them (lines) these last few games. So any of the bottom three lines if that helps, haha.

Maybe he just means that they’ve been junk goals, I don’t know. Quinn’s the effin’ riddler… none of what he says actually seems to make any sense… but it actually all makes perfect sense if you speak 1920s old man language!

Grebs doesn’t think he will play tomorrow, but should be a go Friday in STL. A win tomorrow night would be huge. Personally I would love to see this team win in Tampa and in STL. I think they can do it with and ONLY WITH a full 60 minutes in each game. We really need this momentum to continue.

Whoever said that Florida plays the same style as Minny: Yeah I thought the same thing. They play boring defensive hockey. I’m not that concerned about last night because of the style that the Panthers play. I hope we can open it up against the Bolts. We need Penner’s line to get going again.

Interesting fact that surprised the shit out of me.

we are currently seventh overall in the NHL for goals for, and 4 of the six teams above us have played more games. and that with some of our top offensive players either having missed significant time, or are currently out.

Some teams we have more goals than include Chicago, Atlanta and Calgary.

unfortunately though, that’s offset by the fact that we are sixth worst for goals against. yet we have had decent goaltending, I’d even say better than decent.

So, to me, what that confirms is that this team does not need a superstar 50 goal scorer.

Imho, if we had another big top six player with some skill in the mold of Horton/Malone, a Manny Malhotra type, and a shut down D or two, this team would be something to be reckoned with.

I also find it hard to believe that with our assets that those pieces are unattainable.

Interesting observation, gr8one…

Kind of confirms what I’ve been thinking for a while now.. this team seriously needs a solid shutdown d-man or two.

They also could stand to do a few more drills in the defensive zone, as often you see guys standing around watching one d-man flop around like a fish.

Steve-O would say I have a man-crush on Staios, and I do to an extent. But I would happily see him moved if the team brought in a big punishing d-man (we need our Robyn Regehr or our Andy Sutton). We then need another d-man who can shut down opponents with authority (even if they don’t do it in a physical manner).

I’ll say it until I’m blue in the face… the elite scorer is a nice to have, but the shutdown/physical d-men and forwards with size are must haves. They’ll also go a LONG way in a 7-game series, if we ever make it to the show again before I die.

Quinn has balanced the forward lines quite well, I’d like to see the back end balanced as well…

Smid + Lubo
    Souray + shutdown guy
    Gilbert/Grebs + Punishing d-man

Peckham may eventually fit that punishing d-man role though. But we still need our shutdown d-man, imho. And I’d kick out one of Gilbert, Grebeshkov or (lesser so) Souray for that acquisition.

12. Mr.Majestyk says:

I think we’re going to be facing a big test against the Lightning. They aren’t a great team, but they will test our resolve to stick to the gameplan. BO mentioned we could open it up against them, but I think we’d probably fare better by doing the opposite. They have the star players that only need a few opportunities to burn us if we get sloppy. Anyways, hoping for a win like always, but thinking that this amazing 3 game winning streak could very well come to an end.

To Everyone: A win in either Tampa or St. Louis would be really nice but I wouldn’t hold your breathe for both of them. Tampa’s elite hasn’t been on the scoreboard lately but you know what that just means it’s a matter of time before they break out. These next two teams aren’t the Capitals or… who’s top in the west.. the Sharks but I have a feeling it will be harder than our last three games.

Racki:Agreed with your post. It will probably take a while for Peckham to reach that stature (good season or so at least) but when he does we’ll have a young Punishing D-man. We do need a Gator v2.0 though, that we do.

All this Tampa talk made me decide to put the GDT thread up early. ;) Predicting another win.

I still think that Kyle McLaren who is big and physical would do us more good than Strudwick at the same price.

Smid-Vishnovsky (no complaints, here. Smid is turning into a shut-down defender that can hit and move the puck. Vishnovsky is a great puck-mover that can score goals)

Souray-Grebs (Souray is perfect here and is underrated defensively. We will see how Grebeskov does when he gets back. I’m hoping he shows the form he did last season, if so we will have a solid top 4)

Staios-Gilbert (Staios with limited ice-time is good. He is somewhat of a shut-down dman and I like him in this spot. Gilbert needs to pick it up as he is by far the biggest weakness on this defense right now.

MM, I totally agree. Tampa loves to play the end to end hockey and if we get into that, we’ll likely lose. Same thing if we take lots of penalties. Play a hard hitting forecheck and we fair well.

Funny you mentioned Sutton Racki. I was advocating us getting him two seasons ago when he was UFA. After he destroyed half our guys in one game here, I became a fan of his. Pecks is still a season as the 7th man away IMO. I wouldn’t be surprised if Plante passes him or catches up fast.

Staios is alright, I think where we dropped the ball was with Studs. He’s a great guy and true pro and that’s great, but perhaps we could have upgraded with all the D men that were available, especially physical stay at home guys. I would think we have the assets to attain one. We have Reddox and some others that most teams could use.

Ideally I’d like to see one mean SOB on each pairing, but for now we’ll go with what we got. I’d even advocate trading Gilbert for a guy like Volchenkov (dreams) if it was possible. Of course he’d have to agree to extend first, but that style of D-man.

I’ll say it again, Boynton was available July 1st, and would have been nice. Went to Anaheim for 1.5M. So, probably would have cost us 2.something. He’s UFA at the end of this year too. He might be a little on the overrated side though.

Yeah Racki, I remember when Boynton was available a lot of people were advocating us signing him, I guess that’s what’s so frustrating about management, is that even the laymen hockey fan watching our team can spot it’s deficiencies rather quickly, and there have been affordable, available options out there to address those deficiencies.