By , December 31, 2009 9:11 am

Lets keep it going boys!!

Hey, doesn’t victory feel awesome.  Sure it was against the laffs, but it was a beautiful thing seeing the boys shut up all those misguided fans.

And isn’t it nice to see the team play with a little confidence (I’m talking from the point of the second goal until about 5 min left in the game).  Looked good out there.

And have a happy and safe new year’s eve everyone.

Now some Racki-stats:

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner — Gagner — Nilsson
Jacques — Horcoff — Potulny
Stone — O’Sullivan — Brule
Moreau — Cogliano — Stortini

Souray — Gilbert
Smid — Visnovsky
Grebeshkov — Staios

Deslauriers
Doobie

Calgary Flames Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Conroy-Jokinen-Iginla

18.8 PP% 17.3
76.1 PK% 83.8
28.2 S/G 26.8
31.8 SA/G 30.4
46.8 FO% 46.4

GAME NOTES

- The Oilers are touting an enormous 1 game winning streak, after defeating the Leafs 3-1 last night.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

Other Highlights
- Nilsson appears to intentionally bank a pass off the side of the net hard to go out front to Gagner (and it lands on the tape of Gagner).
- When did Moreau change is last name to Thecaptainethanmoreau? All Sportsnet guys seem to refer to him as that. Not sure if it’s just Moreau that gets this royal treatment.
- Horcoff gets off a good slapper on net. The rebound gets to JFJ, but he can’t quite get enough wood on it.
- Brandon Prust hit the post from in tight, from the side of the net.
- This 3 minute stretch has looked like a powerplay for the Flames, but it’s not.
- Phaneuf called for a phantom trip on Grebeshkov… we’ll take it, just because you’re Phaneuf. In true Oilers fashion, the Oilers do not record a shot on the powerplay.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

19:49 – CAL – Conroy from Bourque, Bouwmeeter
Bourque outmuscles Souray and Nilsson behind the goal line with time ticking down and passes out to Conroy in the slot. Conroy shoots a hard snap shot past Deslauriers.

Other Highlights
- The Oilers get their first shot of the second period a bit under 10 minutes in. That should give you an idea how this period is going.
- Deslauriers makes a huge glove save on a 2-on-1 on a shot from Sjostrom.
- Moreau and Cogliano get a 2-on-1. Moreau sets Cogliano up nicely with a saucer pass, but Cogliano has troubles handling it.
- Glencross has had a good game tonight, but luckily Deslauriers has been that much better, as Deslauriers stops him on the deke.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

10:07 – CAL – PP – Glencross from Giordano, Langkow
Giordano one times it from the point with Glencross and Smid screening Deslauriers. It blows past the screened Deslauriers.
18:39 – EDM – Horcoff from Gagner, Nilsson
Gagner gets the puck behind the net and throws it out front to Horcoff, who backhands it in.

Other Highlights
- It was just announced that Lubomir Visnovsky has a foot injury and won’t be back tonight. That would explain why I’ve been seeing a lot of Gilbert and Smid together. If he’s out for long, consider the tank for Taylor a success. Our defense will be in a world of hurt.
- Oilers still look very flat, 5 minutes into this period… with exception to Deslauriers who has been sharp.
- Smid makes a nice sliding play to block a potential pass from Iginla on a Flames 2-on-1. This draws some good complements from Loubardias about Smid’s consistent effort level.
- Does this team even want to win? This game has been almost entirely Flames.
- In true Oiler fashion (again), the Oiler finally show hustle, with 2 minutes left in the game and the goalie pulled. They get one, but it’s too little too late after that.

POST-GAME RANT

Not a good game played by the Oilers, aside from Jeff Deslauriers, who stood on his head. The Oilers didn’t actually really start playing until it was 2-0 and they had the goalie pulled. Can’t wait to hear Quinn lay into this team again. I’m sure he’s long tired of it though.

17 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 1, Calgary Flames 2 – Dec 31, 2009 @ 7:00 PM – SNET – Game 41”

1. DropIt says:

If there was a night for Edmonton to beat Calgary this year, its probably tonight.

Calgary will be playing their 4th in 5. And will likely be starting McElhinney tonight.

Flames-2
    Coilers-3

I forgot to throw in my predictions:

Brain: Flamers: 3, Oilers: 2
    Heart: Flamers: 3, Oilers: 5

Thanks for the goalie update.

3. DropIt says:

No problem. While we are on topic. Good chance Langkow will be heading up the 1st line ;)

Just one more win please????

Hell yah, this is definitely one we want to win.

Anyone catch that dirty hit by Phaneuf on Kopitar last night? It’s similar to MacIntyre’s hit on Boyd (sorry, I loved it, but that was pretty dirty).

I’d love to see someone in the league take a run at Phaneuf the next time his sluggish ass is going in the corner for an icing.

Maybe he was upset about the whole Olympic team stuff. :lol:

DropIt, I’d love to hear your take on it.

7. DropIt says:

Pff. Wasn’t THAT dirty. Definately warranted a penalty, but Phaneuf had a similar hit in Montreal this year, but nothing called. Thing that doesn’t get mentioned though was Ivanans elbow on Moss that was also dirty.

However, I think you are right about his bitterness as to not making the olympic team… I’m glad he is showing some emotion about it though. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Also, easier said than done to cheapshot/run The Dion! :P

Ya, it was dirty you homer :P As a guy who used to play defence, I hated people that would run vulnerable people into the end boards on an icing. Of course this is a reversal of the usual roles, but definitely no better.

It doesn’t help that he hit my star of the pool, mind you.. :lol:

9. DropIt says:

Lol. I will admit it was dirty. But over penalized. Kopitar also milked it a bit. As long as there was no suspension I’m fine, we won :)

I hate you Sportsnet. I’ve been trying to avoid all news on the Canada vs. USA game so I could watch it on PVR right after and not know what happens (I like the thrill of not knowing). They’ve shown highlights, and I’ve switched channels quickly to avoid watching. They just popped the score up before I saw it coming… grrrrr.

11. DropIt says:

:D

The sweep is still alive

Thank god I missed this one tonight. These guys truly do suck. Guess we have to follow the Oiler moto and Wait till next year! Eberle, MPS and Hall are doing sick in the WJC, so hopefully that helps us out next year. I just don’t know what to say about this team right now. Happy New Year guys, lets hope 2010 doesn’t suck for the Oilers like 09.

DropIt: Lol. I will admit it was dirty. But over penalized. Kopitar also milked it a bit. As long as there was no suspension I’m fine, we won

Normally I agree with you and think you understand what you are talking about, but honestly you have no idea what you are talking about here. He SHOULD be suspended. That was a dirty hit head first into the boards. Someone will die from that or be seriously injured. The penalty wasn’t enough. I guess throwing head shots is the Flamers thing this year? Iggy on Souray and Lady Dion on Kopitar. Nothing personal bro lol just disagreeing with you here.

DropIt: :DThe sweep is still alive

That could be the most embarrassing part of the this season. But I’m used to the Oilers blowing it against the Flames. I don’t know what the deal was tonight. This was probably the word BoA I’ve seen in a while… not because of the Flames, of course. But the Oilers weren’t even really in this one at all (aside from Deslauriers)

15. DropIt says:

And seriously, if you still think there was any kind of hit to the head, or intentional cheapshot from Iginla on Souray, you need to take off those copper tinted glasses. Mention Glenncross’ hit on Drury if you want, but Iginla, in no way hit Souray in the head.

DropIt: BO:I can see what your defending with Phaneuf, personally I don’t think it was a ‘hit to the head’. I think it was definately interference and uncalled for, but Koptiar went into the boards awkwardly after contact was initiated and his head took the worst of it. There was no hit to the head on contact, and on that stance, I believe that there would be no suspension for a hit to the head. Intent to injure? Possibly. Boarding? Also likely. But not aq hit to the head, watch the play again, and Phaneuf makes no contact whatsoever with Kopitars head.

I didn’t see the glenx on Drury so I didn’t mention it. Trust me this year there are no copper tinted glasses, these guys suck. I HAD hope but trust me its gone. And the NHL doesn’t suspend anyone that isn’t named George Laraque, Donald Brasher or Dan Carcillo. Happy new year bud. and it won’t be a sweep……………………….i hope

Gilbert got snubbed…..Thank God