By , December 30, 2009 12:01 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Toronto Maple Leafs - Aka Sewer Battle 2009

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Toronto Maple Leafs - Aka Sewer Battle 2009

Welcome one and all to Sewer Battle 2009. Who can forget those prophetic words Brian Burke once spat out upon having that soon-to-be-overpaid-bum Penner snaked out from under his nose in which he chastised Lowe for running the Oilers into the sewer. Well, welcome to the stink house, Brian! Watching the Oilers and Maple Leafs go at it should be like watching two bums fight over a half decomposed squirrel…. except where the squirrel has more fight left in it than the two bums. But hey, at least the Oilers stand a lot to gain if they finish dead last.

Currently, the Oilers are on a 7 game losing streak. The Leafs are hot and are currently on a 1-game winning streak! Ok, they are 2-4-1 in their last 7. If this one goes to OT and isn’t settled, Lowe and Burke should scrap it out, Thunderdome style. Two men enter, one man leave. Either way, I think there will be several happy Oiler fans.

Brain: 3-2 Toronto
Heart: A support beam falls from the roof, crushing Brian Burke’s skull.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner — Gagner — Nilsson
Jacques — Horcoff — Brule
Stone — Potulny — O’Sullivan
Moreau — Cogliano — Stortini

Souray — Gilbert
Visnovsky — Smid
Grebeshkov — Staios

Deslauriers
Doobie

Toronto Maple Leafs Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Kulemin-Stajan-Kessel

18.6 PP% 17.8
71.6 PK% 76.4
34 S/G 28.3
29.7 SA/G 31.9
50.5 FO% 46.6

GAME NOTES

- Ladislav Smid wasn’t at practice today. That’s because he did in fact hurt his hand in the fight versus Iginla. However, there is no word just yet if it’s anything to worry about.
- Steve Staios had the day off because he’s just that good.

Steve-O did not approve this message...

Steve-O did not approve this message...

On a completely unrelated note… the final round of the NHL Arena Blog-Off is now on. By some miracle, and ridiculous amounts of flagrant cheating, Putting On The Foil is one of four finalists in this poll. And I know what Steve-O is thinking… where the hell is Lowetide? Focus, Steve-O!

Anywho, cast your votes at this link. The voting has started anew, with this new round. The winner of the poll gets ultimate supreme bragging rights in the blogging community, which comes with the added benefit of being able to bang any chicks you want. Since I’m pretty much married, and so is Trogdor, that leaves that prize to the one single writer here, Steve-O. If that doesn’t motivate you, I don’t know what will!

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

19:07 – EDM – Brule from Jacques, Visnovsky
Brule carries the puck in with Horcoff heading to the net. Brule blasts a slapshot that goes top cheese.

Other Highlights
- Well, fans start off in a good mood, singing along and cheering with Paul Lorieau… we’ll see if that mood remains. And well, since probably at least half are Leafs fans, I’m not even sure what that means!
- Let’s go Oilers chants start off pretty audible early too, so hopefully the boys respond in kind.
- Brule swings behind the net but just can’t quite get the puck on his stick on what would have been a near wide open net for him.
- Gene Principe dwarfs Mike Comrie in an interview… I hope Gene is just really tall. Comrie doesn’t look so hot.
- several minutes in, the go Leafs go chants are pretty audible. They should really change that to “eh, oh, go Leafs go (get me a Pepsi)”.
- every time the go Leafs go chants start up, a chorus of boos drowns them out… nice. Seems to be a pretty lively crowd, too bad the players haven’t looked so lively yet.
- JDD makes a big, awkward looking, stand-up save on a hard Kaberle shot.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

10:05 – EDM – PP – O’Sullivan from Grebeshkov, Horcoff
The powerplay shows good movement (for once). O’Sullivan throws a backhand towards the slot for Brule, but it bounces off white and in the net. Hey, good to see him getting the bad bounces in his favor for once.

Other Highlights
- Penner is robbed by Toskala from the high slot. He puts a shot in low, but Toskala quickly kicks the leg out.
- Nilsson sets up Gilbert with a nice cross-seam pass to the dot to Toskala’s right. Gilbert gets off a hard shot, but Toskala is quick to get there.
- Pisani interview.. sounds pretty positive, and seems to be closer to returning than Comrie.
- Cogliano sets up Stortini with a pass. Stortini gets a decent shot on net and then charges through a d-man after the whistle, drawing a crowd.
- On the next shift, Cogliano throws a nice hit on White. Brown gushes a bit about how Cogliano plays like a more aggressive player on the 4th line.
- Deslauriers gets corked by a puck up high, then gets run over by 2 Oilers and a Leaf, losing the bucket. Good thing, as this is an instant stoppage, and if not for that, the Leafs may have got one on the wrap around.
- Jacques plows through Stajan in the neutral zone and Stajan went end over end.
- Nilsson and Gagner get a 2-on-1. Nilsson telegraphs pass, but gets a good shot off that Toskala just gets a piece of, and it rings off the post.
- Looks like the Oilers might have gotten away with one as Primeau takes a stick in the face.. presumably from an Oiler.
- Deslauriers seems to be handling the puck better lately.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

2:34 – EDM – PP – O’Sullivan from Gilbert
O’Sullivan manages to get through the Toronto defense as Gilbert hits him with a pass. He goes in alone on Toskala, pulling him to the side to open the wickets up. O’Sully slides the puck into the net.
16:00 – TOR – PP – Kessel unassisted
Kessel takes a shot, and then about 3 more in succession as Deslauriers kicks out the saves, but he just can’t do it all.

Other Highlights
- Nilsson gets tripped up, driving to the net and falls, slamming into the boards. Seems to be ok though, and he’ll stay out for the powerplay.
- Jacques CRUSHES Komisarek at the Oilers bench, just as the Komi got a shot off.
- Deslauriers makes a save on Ponikarovsky then robs him with the glove on the rebound.
- They just showed another mock PC vs. Mac commercial on the PPV, this time making fun of the Leafs and their “we’re the center of the hockey world” complex. Good stuff.
- Deslauriers makes a big save on a point shot by Komisarek through a lot of traffic. Deslauriers is on fire tonight.
- Kelly Buchberger just mentioned that he hopes his team can get Deslauriers the (s-word). However, he didn’t actually say “s-word”, literally.
- Jacques hits Komisarek again, and this time Komisarek drops them with him. Jacques gets off to a good start, throwing some good shots in. Looks like he even drew blood early *. Towards the end of the fight, Komi jerseys him and throws a couple shots at Jacques. Good scrap by Jacques. * – Courtesy of LNOF who is watching the Leafs feed… apparently he opened up an old cut.
- Fans are into this one, singing along to Stompin’ Tom.
- Kessel blasts one from far out that Grabovski deflects down through Gilberts legs and it rings hard off the post.
- O’Sullivan and Stone break in on a two on one, but somewhere behind the play, tripping penalties are called against both teams.
- A penalty is called on Visnovsky shortly after for a long 4-on-3
- In the dying 2 minutes, the Leafs rally big time, applying intense pressure. Deslauriers is a friggen wall in net, putting the force field up. He’s stopping pucks, he’s stopping bodies flopping on him. Nothing’s getting in the net.
- Stone curls one down the ice with the goalie pulled that has great draw weight on it, killing the pressure in the dying seconds and putting this one on ice.

POST-GAME RANT

Well this was a much better one. The Oil relied too much on Deslauriers. But he stood on his head, making 27 saves. Jacques also had a great game, drawing star number 3. He had 1 assist and 5 hits, and did some damage to Komisarek in a fight, after putting him on his can earlier in the night on a big hit.

Alas, the 7 game losing streak is over. Next game, against those godless savages tomorrow, at 6:00 on SNET.

136 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 3, Toronto Maple Leafs 1 – Dec 30, 2009 @ 7:30 PM – PPV – Game 40”

I hope they pound the shit out of the Leafs. I hate Toronto. I hate Brain Burke. Lets go.

I hope we get pasted by the leafs.

losing to the leafs often spells change.

oh wait, we have a management team that’s philosophy is do nothing under any circumstances. who cares who wins.

Maybe their philosophy is to tank for Taylor.

New Pollansky up.

you need to add another option to the poll:
    - no as the team will man up, and play hard and not like a bunch of bitches and become one of those fucking teams

Steve-O: you need to add another option to the poll:

no, he included that choice, just worded it different.

“No, this team sucks even at failing.. they’ll probably rally a late comeback and get a slightly later pick and end up drafting Hobo McGillicutty “

Team Canada 2010

Goaltenders

Martin Brodeur
    Marc Andre Fleury
    Roberto Luongo

How predictable…

team canada goalies:
    brodeur
    fluery
    luongo

drats…beaten to the punch

I love the anticipation, why are they making it so dramatic?

12. HockeyNoob says:

Big Surprise for Team Canada’s goalies, right? Too bad Penner went cold. Maybe it’s Quinn’s fault for splitting him and Brule up, lol.

Klowe announces Defense,

Duncan Keith
    Scott Niedermayer (Captain)
    Chris Pronger (Alternate) Boooo haha
    Brent Seabrook
    Shea Weber

awesome…no flamers

and pronger is a good d-man

that lineup is killer

Good work, gentlemen (and I use that term loosely). I’ll do up a post or something after the whole roster is named.

Like I was telling Steve-O… they need to figure out a way to spread a 23 name list over 1 hour. Seriously, just dump the whole thing on twitter, you drama queens!

Racki: Yah, no one would vote for your option, Steve-O… let’s just pretend its there and give it an instant zero.

I would vote for it…and everyone else should too.

SAY NO TO TANKING! SAY YES TO A COMPETENT MANAGEMENT GROUP!

Steve-O:
    I would vote for it…and everyone else should too.SAY NO TO TANKING! SAY YES TO A COMPETENT MANAGEMENT GROUP!

So you’re hoping for a management change then? :D

Good luck Oilers! You need to work harder than the Leafs, simple. They are a great team to break out of a slump against. At least make the last game of the decade at Rexall a win, please?

I may be late for this game as I will be doing my part for the future of this team and scouting out Olivier Roy vs the Hfx Mooseheads tonight. It’s the BoNS Jr style and both teams are wearing special NS jerseys that I assume will be auctioned off later on – might try to get my hands on Roy’s, especially since he is rumoured to be involved in an upcoming trade to Mtl Jr’s.

The Moose are rebuilding and have a grand total of 8 wins to date so I’ll try to keep that in mind for my scouting report – in other words, I don’t expect Roy to have a tough night. Not sure if he’ll be in or not though, since they played last night and he had a 6-0 shutout vs the Moose. So the more I think about it, I’ll likely be scouting out how he looks sitting on the bench, probably a perfect time to get their backup in. Oh well.

Team Canada Forwards

Patrice Bergeron
    Sidney Crosby (Alternate eh?)
    Ryan Getzlaf – Corey Perry too?
    Dan Heatley
    Jarome Iginla (Alternate)
    Patrick Marleau
    Brenden Morrow
    Rick Nash
    Corey Perry
    Mike Richards
    Eric Staal
    Joe Thorton
    Jonathan Toews

zackman35: Team Canada ForwardsPatrice Bergeron
    Sidney Crosby (Alternate eh?)
    Ryan Getzlaf – Corey Perry too?
    Dan Heatley
    Jarome Iginla (Alternate)
    Patrick Marleau
    Brenden Morrow
    Rick Nash
    Corey Perry
    Mike Richards
    Eric Staal
    Joe Thorton
    Jonathan Toews

not a fan of morrow, and staal and getzlaf need to pull their heads out of their asses, but all in all a pretty good team

zackman35: Should we have a team Canada thread to discuss? Or just keep going here with the Oilers vs Leafs GDT.

i think racki’s creating a canada thread

Racki:
    So you’re hoping for a management change then? :D

or a change to how management is currently acting, sure

the team has needs and they need to address them

Yah sorry I’m a bit slow cause I made it purdy. It’s up now, on the front page.

26. Horpensky says:

We better beat the $#%$#ing Leafs!

Horpensky: We better beat the $#%$#ing Leafs!

i agree, for the sole reason that i don’t want to hear about it for the rest of the season if they lose

28. Trogdor says:

I’ll be there with me dear old Da (leafs fan) so I’m hoping for a good showing tonight. I want to get my hopes up, but damn it, it’s not an easy thing right now.

I want the team to tank, but it seems as though my version of tanking varies greatly from what Steve-O thinks of it as.

It seems Steve sees tanking as not trying, or not playing hard, where as I see it totally different, I see it as cleaning house on bad contracts and dead weight, sending Horcoff and Khabi for surgery, and bringing in younger players that will be fighting for jobs next year, which would hopefully mean a higher compete level we’ve seen around here in a long time.

having said that though, we would not have a very good team for the duration of the season, and thus would be “tanking” but not for lack of trying to play hard.

than, hopefully we draft ourselves a genuine franchise player, as well as Eberle, Omark, MPS and all the other good young core players we already have, sprinkle in a couple of solid UFA signings(not home run guys, but leader/role players with a history of WINNING) with a healthy Horcoff, Hemsky, Khabi, and I see a very competitive team next year, that will truly have some pieces to contend in a few years time.

I’m sorry, but I really hope the Leafs paste us tonight, and I would pick them in the sportselect/proline if I was playing today. They simply work way harder than the Oilers do and that will translate to a win in my estimation.

On Team Canada, I’m stoked for Morrow to make it. I think he’s a pick lots of guys and gals will question, but he’s tough as nails, has skill, kills penalties and is a Bobby Clarke kind of guy. He’d break an ankle if you asked him. We need some grit to offset some of the other forwards that are not as gritty like Thornton or Marleau.

No surprise on the goalies. The D I am super excited to see Doughty on the international stage. This kid is the next Bourque IMO. For him to beat out Green shows you a lot of how highly regarded he is.

Also, Dropit, how many Flames on D? ;)

31. Trogdor says:

Trying hard and failing is one thing, but cleaning house during the season and putting out a patched together lineup is another. I’d love to get a top prospect at the end of the year, but at the same time I’m a fan who wants to see our team compete as best they can. Not currently a season ticket holder, but if I was I woulnd’t be too happy if the team decided to try again next year(Tank). Unless of course they offered me a rebate for liquidating players the team should be playing!

I’m all for tanking however way they want to do it. My first choice of course would be for them to make the playoffs. However, that has become nearly an impossibility, even though we’re only at the half way point in the season. So, that said, my next choice would be complete and utter failure because as I’ve always viewed it… if you’re going to lose, you might as well not come out empty handed. Let’s get our Hall/Seguin, and hit the reset button again.

As for next season, they do have a fair wealth of talented players (especially with a potential elite player like Seguin/Hall). They just need the glue players to bring it all together since guys (whose names I won’t mention) are dropping the ball. I know a lot of people are already counting Comrie out, but he’s one of the glue players I’d hang on to. Cheap, hard working players who give you a predictable, and hard effort each night is what we need. Again, jettison the rest of the bums not putting in a nightly effort.

I heard Oilers management went to talk to Hall last night? Is that true?

34. Trogdor says:

I’m sure many teams have had a chat with Hall along with the other top prospects.

35. Horpensky says:

Here’s a question:
    Would you trade down in the draft if it meant getting rid of some bad contracts too?
    ie:
    To Carolina: Horcoff/Khabibulin and 1st overall
    To Edmonton: 2nd overall

Horpensky: Absolutely. I think that’s an unlikely scenario, but yes… if we’re talking about dumping both of those guys mentioned. Those are the two most problem contracts on the team (imho).

Great question btw.

Now would I do it for just one (which is what I think you meant)… hmmmm…. that would make me think. I don’t think I would though, no. Especially if it was just Khabibulin’s contract.

37. Horpensky says:

That would also depend on how far you’re willing to trade down too. Hall/Seguin are pretty much 1 and 2 and you can’t go wrong with either, but would you trade down to #3? I bet there would be a lot of eager teams out there ready to eat a bad contract or two if it meant getting the #1 overall.

Racki: Horpensky: hell, I didn’t even realize you were talking 2nd overall… in that case, I’d do it in a heart beat.I would do Horcoff+Khabi+1st for a 7th rounder. lol Call me bad GM… but just cleaning up the mess the other bad GMs made. That’s horrible asset management though, of course.

i’d do it with any team that had the cap room

but i think most playoff teams are cap teams, so you’re looking at a decent pick anyways (if you swap 1sts)

but i’m with racki, i’d give them the 1st for those contracts

I guess you could easily reverse the question around. If you were the GM of another team, would you take on those 2 big, bad contracts in order to get Ovechkin?

Say Washington was in huge money trouble and needed to unload a bunch of money in order to survive.

I guess the appeal would be there either way. It’s only appealing to give up that first rounder + Horcoff + Khabi because the 1st rounder is still pretty unknown. But if we knew he would become Ovechkin in a couple of years, that probably changes it for a lot of people.

other than you couldn’t afford him in a couple years because of said contracts

42. Mr.Majestyk says:

I mentioned this a while back but I think I’ll bring it up again. I keep hearing how the team needs to play a complete 60 minutes if we want to win hockey games. Well, with a team that is playing as poorly as we are, it couldn’t be more true. The reason being in my estimation is that we are a team that every other team in the league expects to take points from. When we get a 2-0 lead on Nashville, they call a timeout and the realization on their bench is that we aren’t that good, and they can comeback from the deficit. There’s no way other teams are going to quit against us because we’ve shown time and time again that when under pressure, we buckle. Now, say Nashville is finishing up a long road trip and find themselves down 2-0 to San Jose? There is a better chance that Nashville just mails it in and heads home. What about a 4-0 lead? I mean, its been a while since we had one of those, but say we get a 4-0 lead after 1 period. Anyone feel comfortable about that lead from what we’ve seen this season? Not me. The team needs to start playing a complete game and be able to shut teams down or we’ll never get the respect from our opponents.

end rant.

43. Mr.Majestyk says:

Mr.Majeklund rumour: Khabibulin, Horcoff, Edmonton’s first pick to Tampa Bay for Lecavalier and Tampa’s 1st pick.

Remember that game against Detroit this year? Oilers are proof that no lead is safe. lol They won the game 6-5, but barely. Up 4-0 early in the 2nd, suddenly Detroit mounts up the slow comeback. Suddenly the 3rd period is all Detroit, and they force it to OT (and then the shootout). That definitely emphasises your point… but better make it a 5-0 or 6-0 lead!

Mr.Majestyk: Mr.MajEklund Twatwaffle Twatwaffle rumour:Khabibulin, Horcoff, Edmonton’s first pick to Tampa Bay for Lecavalier and Tampa’s 1st pick.

haha, if only, hey?

I’M WATCHING!!! HA HA HA!!!

and according to bowen (or whatever his damn name is) is -30 out…toronto people are a bunch of pussies

i also bought a schwackload of new hockey gear…pretty stoked

Did you find a stream? I broke down, cause I’m a sucker.

yes…yes i did

Thats gotta be a first for you

oh wait, nm, i thought I phrased it “did you break down and buy it, like my dumb ass”