By , December 26, 2009 2:37 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks

Happy shopping insanity day for all you fellow Canadians. Tonight, the Oil take on the Vancouver Canucks. The Oilers had put together a 5-game road stand before the wheels fell off the bus (again) and a 5-game losing streak was built up including 4 straight home losses. The Oilers are deathly cold. The Canucks, on the other hand, have won 5 of their last 7. One thing to note is that the Canucks are 21-16-0… no OT Losses, and are 5 games over 0.500, but are only in 9th. Can we now put to bed this “0.500 hockey” business? 0.500 hockey is now a way of saying your team is bad, but not that bad.

Predictions time. My predictions today are only partly based on the level of suckage the Oilers have been putting on lately. They are also partly based on the Canucks doing well, and seemingly having our number on a lot of occasions (including an ass-kicking back at the end of November).

Brain prediction: 8-3 Vancouver
Heart prediction: 6-4 Vancouver

Prepare for another ugly one.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner Gagner Nilsson
Stone Horcoff Brule
Jacques Potulny O’Sullivan
Moreau Cogliano Stortini

Souray Gilbert
Smid Visnovsky
Grebeshkov Staios

Deslauriers
Doobie

Vancouver Canucks Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Canucks lineup

18.8 PP% 22.7
76.7 PK% 79.6
28.2 S/G 30.6
32.2 SA/G 28.8
46.4 FO% 50.8

GAME NOTES

– We’re sitting in last in the conference, and 3rd last in the league (Toronto has played one more game than us, or we’d be tied for 2nd last).
– Two more days until the holiday roster freeze ends.. yay! (not that we’re likely to make a move)

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

No scoring.

Other Highlights
12:30 – Souray works over one of the Canucks in front of the net, on their PP.
11:34 – Samuelsson sneaks behind the D and gets a shot off on Deslauriers, but he stands his ground.
10:31 – Stone hammers a d-man on a dump in, then hits Kesler knee on knee (accidental) seconds later. Kesler hobbles off the ice… possibly a charley horse.
8:29 – Hordichuk tries to go with Ryan Stone on a faceoff. But let’s face it.. they’re in a different weight class. They don’t go. Rypien also gives Stone an earful. Seems like they’re not happy about his hit on Kesler.
5:31 – Horcoff sets up behind the ‘Nucks net and comes out and sets up Brule with a good chance. Luongo makes the save, however.
0:35 – Potulny gets set up with a cross seam pass. Luongo is down and out, but Potulny wrists one off Mitchell and into Luongo’s stacked pads. Best chance of the period for the Oilers, possibly for either team.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

6:51 – VAN – PP – D. Sedin from H. Sedin, Salo
The Oilers are down 2 men. The Canucks work it around the perimeter, pulling Smid away from the front of the net. Sedin brings it out front shooting, and it banks off Souray’s skate and in.
7:08 – VAN – PP – Kesler from Edler, Raymond
A slapshot from the point looks to be about to be going wide. Kesler races to the front of the net an tips it past JDD.
8:38 – EDM – Potulny, unassisted
Potulny skates in the zone and loses the puck. He chases it down and picks it up at the goal line almost. He flips a back hand that gets behind Luongo and goes upstairs.

Other Highlights
18:05 – Grebeshkov is nailed by Bernier while racing for a puck into the Oilers’ zone.
13:31 – Already shorthanded, Potulny whacks a puck down the ice that goes over the glass, putting the Oil in a 3-on-5 situation for 1 minute and 20 seconds (on which they score 2 goals).
12:20 – Grebeshkov shoots one from the point that is deflected in the high slot. Luongo barely hangs on to the puck.
11:40 – Stortini and Rypien go at at it. Lots of big bombs thrown by both sides. Stortini throws some of his usual hammer fists. This is a long one with both guys exchanging some good blows. Strotini’s punches look like forearms more than anything. But good fight by both guys.
9:42 – On the Vancouver powerplay, a puck squeaks past Deslauriers and is lying in the crease. Smid has one hand on Bernier and one on his own stick and manages to poke the puck under JDD and out of trouble.
0:30 – Horrible change by the Oilers leads to a 2-on-1, but the puck is fired over the net, well wide by Glass.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

3:23 – VAN – Ehrhoff from Rypien
Ehrhoff gets the puck at his blueline, and skates hard into the Oil zone. He dishes off to the Rypien and races towards the net, picking up the puck on the give-and-go and beats JDD upstairs (where else?).
19:24 – Van – D. Sedin from Burrows, H. Sedin
Henrik misses the empty net. Burrows out muscles Visnovsky and Staios in the corner, getting it to Daniel out front. Daniel puts it into the open net.

Other Highlights
12:20 – The fans break out the “Oilers Suck” chant.. gotta wonder how many of those chants are coming from Oilers jersey donning fans. Too far?
11:15 – Visnovsky annihilates the puck from the point and Loo makes a big kick save to stop the howitzer.
9:18 – Moreau gets a great chance in the slot, throwing it on net. A battle for the puck ensues in the crease, and the Canucks come out on top, keeping the puck out.
7:20 – Gilbert and Souray work the puck down low in the Canucks zone (yes.. that’s correct.. both d-men behind THEIR goal line). Souray works it out front on the wrap around… but Loo, as always, keeps the puck out.
6:53 – Staios roughs up Hordichuk in the crease and looks like he’s trying to start a scrap with him, but Hordichuk just stands there, knowing the penalty to Staios is coming.
3:31 – Brule swings behind the net and throws it out front to O’Sullivan, in the slot. He shoots it into the “bread basket” of Luongo.
3:15 – Henrik rings one off the cross bar on an odd man rush.
1:57 – Stortini is set up in the slot by Penner. However Stortini fires it high, missing the top corner. It may have gone off the arm of Luongo.
1:44 – The Oilers pull Deslauriers. He’s only out for about 10 seconds before having to go back, due to a faceoff at the Canucks line.
1:12 – The Oilers pull Deslauriers again.

POST-GAME RANT

Not as bad a loss as I thought. The Oilers played a decent game. Luongo was on the top of his game tonight though. Unfortunately, the 5-on-3 in the 2nd period really was the difference in the game, as the Canucks scored on both chances. The Oilers just couldn’t come back from that point, despite making it 2-1 shortly after the two powerplay goals. The Oilers continue their horrible slide. With the Leafs picking up a point in OT tonight, the Oilers are officially second last in the league now. I think at this point, we might see the Oilers playing their “loose” game and playing with more jump in their game. However, I don’t care how many games are left.. this season is pretty much a write-off.

On a positive note, I thought Souray and Gilbert looked very good together tonight. That pairing is improving. None of our defensemen really looked horrible out there tonight, in my view. They could still use a more solid option back there, but they did alright with what they had tonight and weren’t too badly exploited, unlike the last battle between these two teams.

Next game, Monday vs. Calgary, at home.

54 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 1, Vancouver Canucks 4 – Dec 26, 2009 @ 8:00 PM – CBC – Game 38”

Lines are juggled up.

*echo…. echo… echo*

Anyone care/around?

psssst.

Well the Oil are looking alright so far. JDD is holding his ground well. Pretty uneventful period. Weighting for one team to open it up

yeah, I just got in, Oilers seem to be looking pretty god from what I’ve seen so far.

man Guido annoys me.

So far, defensively they look alright… offensively, they look like they’re playing through sludge. It’s usually the other way around.

gr8one: man Guido annoys me.

lol, Guido?? Luongo?

Racki:
    lol, Guido?? Luongo?

lol, yes…did you really need to ask?

Canucks look horrible, I could see Guido stealing this one for them though.

very slow paced period.

well, that 18 seconds sucked bobo’s nuts.

2 quick goals on a 5-on-3…

2-0 Van

12. OilerTyler says:

Well…

We suck

Understatement of the year. :lol:

But all things considered, I’m surprised the Oilers are even in this game still.

good tilt there, but what was up with those funny looking overhead girly punches Storts was chuckin’ in the beginning?

wooooo potsy!!!

woooo, 2-1. Bad goal there for Loo.

What a play by Smid!

Who the hell passes to Nilsson? Come on Penner…

Racki: gr8one: Stortini always throws those hammer fists… I don’t know what the deal with that is either. He fights like my sister. It’s like he’s got a broken hand or something.

that’s funny, I never noticed that before.

Alright game by the Oilers, but Loo was on the top of his game again. We are officially 29th in the league now.

I must now ask myself. How much more of this team can I take?? This is the worst hockey team I’ve ever watched. They need to start making moves, vets for prospects/ picks. Penner, Gagner, Brule, Cogliano, and Horcoff are playing brutal right now. This team is awful. Only two Oilers showed up tonight, they were JDD and Lubomir Vishnovsky. Horrible how we are behind the Leafs in the standings. As it stans we are getting Tyler Seguin. Moves must be made, but Tambi has been pussying out for lack of a better term. Tonights loss without doubt has put this team out of the playoffs. Now a rebuild must happen. Its kinda depressing knowing that a rebuild is needed, but we all know this team will get hot, Tambi will get a vet at the deadline and we will finish 9th. It always happens that way. If they lose, lets do it the right way please.

Racki: Who the hell passes to Nilsson? Come on Penner…

He should have taken that to the net and put a shot on Lui

The Oil played OK. Luongo stood on his head, as usual. I’m not even upset at Oilers losses anymore, because I’d love to see them hit rock bottom. Sorry folks, but I can’t see how picking up one of Seguin or Hall would be a bad thing! We don’t need to consistently stay in the bottom of the league for a few years.. even just scooping up one franchise player next year (potentially) would do the team a lot of good.

I like the idea of it, and would rather see that than see the Oilers make a solid effort to make the playoffs this year. I just think it would do more long term good, and then things could be re-designed starting at the trade deadline and continue next summer.

First note, I’d like to mention to POTF staff, you guys stay in there, it may be looking quite grim put keep the blog going strong anyways. The better the Oil play the more visitors you get and on the other side the worse they get the more bare it will get around here (well in theory). It may take a bit for things to turn around, or for some things to happen (trades/change of staff/etc.) but make sure to capitalize when you can.

Personally Oilers hockey is slowly but surely becoming sand in my jar full of sand, marbles and golf balls. Not sure if it’s more of me as a person growing or not but I’m sure their mediocrity is getting to me. That and the shear frustration when they “let off the gas” 2/3’s the way through the game. It feels like such a waste of time.

That’s my rant, I think. I’ll still kick around here quite a bit but I think I’ll be watching a lot fewer games this season than I have in quite some time.

I can say that we’ve got full intention of keeping things going here, no matter how badly the Oil suck, and even if people do get scarce here. It’s been a lot of fun running this site, and while it seems like we picked a bad year (possibly) to jump on the blog bandwagon, I’m still enjoying running the site. There’s a pretty loyal following of a few of you (mostly from the OMB), and that helps keep things going.. so hopefully you guys keep coming back every now and then.

Me, I’m a die hard fan. I know they stink right now, but I’ll always bleed copper and blue. Personally, I’m still on board with this team “tanking for Taylor/Tyler”. But thats just because that one (potential) elite level player would likely go a lot further than limp-dicking our way into the playoffs (if even). Gotta think of the big picture here. There’s very little likelihood that the Oil make it in. Who wants us to finish 21st or so? Not me.

Oh don’t get me wrong I’m still a fan and always will be but I don’t think I’ll be watching many games this season as compared to previous seasons. I will be however watching the Flames game, cause if they do manage to beat them what can a Flames fan really say. Sure they may be in the playoff picture but they got beat by one of the worst teams, kinda pathetic but true. We just have to beat them first, that’s the tricky bit. :D

27. Horpensky says:

I didn’t watch it, but looks like I didn’t miss much either. The Leafs are ahead of us. Ugh.

The reality is that we’re years away from being a GREAT TEAM, and even then, that will only happen with management doing a good job to get us there, but we’re a few bad contracts and a few good drafts away from being a contender, so why not strip the team down and maximize the potential with some top picks.

Gr8one: I think we are a few years of from being a top team in the league. I think we have a great core here, but we are just missing that elite home grown star to go with Gagner, Penner and Hemsky. Thats why I’m hoping for a top 3 pick, top 2 to be exact. Seguin or Hall would be very nice here. Oilers have holes on defense, but I think letting Peckham and Chorney be full time guys here next year could fix that problem right up. It will be interesting how the Oilers rebuild, and who will be traded and who will be brought in. I think if we tank this year, we will make it next year with our young team. I really wanna beat the Leafs this week though. And the flames for that matter

Racki: Personally, for me… I think the ship can be righted without THAT much hard work. I personally think we need a better set of complementary players. Drop Moreau, Pisani, etc. Lose a couple of these skill guys (I’m going to pick O’Sullivan and Nilsson due to consistency issues). Then start building around that. This season is a write-off. You know the Oilers are going to tease us though. They will play loose and hard from maybe January or Febuary onward. They’ll make a strong push which I’ll guess will lead to about a 20th or so finish. But for me, I know there is a chance for the Oil to make the playoffs still, but I’d rather see the team stay down in the standings and get the high pick because I know that the future of our team would likely far greater be improved by the addition of a (potentially) elite level talent than it would be by limping our way into the playoffs. I don’t expect Hall or Seguin or whomever we draft to be the hockey jesus that brings back the cup here. But it could go a long way to have a star (again, potentially) like that here. Again, I just think the Oilers need to make some decisions about certain players they need to keep. Move some of the small skilled forwards that we have here in bulk. Move one or two of the offensive d-men we have here. Drop Moreau and Pisani as well. Hang on to those bigger players like Stone, JFJ, Stortini , or upgrade them if possible when moving the other players. It can be done! I’m probably naive, but I don’t think we’re a few years from being a playoff team. And well, when you’re a playoff team, anything can happen. I think Tambellini and Lowe have severe tunnel vision though. They focus on one type of player and acquire it in bulk. They need to assemble a team that will have the skill guys, the size guys, the defensive players, all that in the mix. They almost have the right formula (thanks to Quinn turning shit into gold for a while). They just have to make some tweaks here and there to improve our areas of weakness (size with skill, defensive players) using by taking from our areas of strength (small, skill forwards).

I tend to agree. Drop as much of the old ’06 guys as you can, keep two of the small guys, and I say that would be Cogs and Gags, move one of the O-Dmen and you can build on that.

I don’t think it’s really unrealistic to tell you the truth. It’s like you’ve been saying; Moving some mid-range guys will likely be the solution and not the complete roster change. The Oilers would be much better if our role guys played like the role guys on Vancouver or Calgary. They simply are not, so get rid of them and get some new ones.

Guys to keep, in my opinion: Penner, Gagner, Hemsky, Cogliano, Brule (possibly even Cogliano OR Brule), Stone, Stortini, possibly JFJ (I really like him, to be honest, because he hits everything). I’d hang on to Comrie because he’s one of few NHLers on the team. He is cheap and actually makes a difference when in the lineup. That leaves 3 or 4 forward slots. Well, I forgot about Horcoff actually. I keep him in the list, because I find it hard to believe he can be moved, but if he can, I’d say do it (and again, I reiterate that I do like Horc). But realistically, he stays. So on that note, I’d pick one of Brule, Cogliano, Comrie to keep. The brain would say let Comrie go because of his age, however I do see a big need for vet players here with his work ethic. We need guys who are going to give 110% on every night. I’m not so certain any of those 3 players gives us any less, so that would be a tough choice. Perhaps one of these guys becomes a 13th/14th forward though. The more I talk about it, the harder that decision sounds actually. Cogliano might be a guy we could move too that would help fetch a skilled size guy.

On defense, Souray, Visnovsky, Smid would be guys I guarantee jobs. Yes, yes, I know… Gilbert and Grebeshkov have longer careers ahead of them than Souray/Visnovsky. But for one, Visnovsky is an amazing d-man that makes his partners better. He can’t really be replaced. As for Souray, he brings a lot of leadership, the size and toughness, and is better in his own zone than he gets credit for. Gilbert, Grebeshkov and Staios are all movable pieces depending on what is coming back. I’m not saying move them all, but they should be considered in a trade. For me, for sure we should be moving one of Gilbert or Grebeshkov because neither of them can pick up the slack for Vis/Souray anytime soon, however they still have that value to help land us the Smid 2.0 we need.

Goaltending is still a bit of a weakness. I’d still love to pick up Halak, but habs fans don’t sound interested in what we have because they need size as well.

When you think about our team, you think offense. Our forwards can score, our defense can score. Really, we need some guys who can handle their own zone… and cheaper options, at that. There are players like that available every July 1st. So that’s why I don’t think it’s so hard to fix this team. Our GM has to just stop focusing on the home-run hit with the sniper. We don’t need that anymore, as that’s not what is keeping this team out of the playoffs.

I need to stop writing novels!

I should add that Pots and Brule would be on my keep list as well. Pots is a good replacement for Brodziak and Brule plays bigger than he is. He’s the epitomy of what the other small guys should aspire to in terms of physical play and determination. Stone is a must keep as well. He’s this year’s Glencross.

We’re on the same page here Racki. I wouldn’t have any issue with the players you cited.

On Halak, Montreal still need a decent compliment to Markov on the PP and I bet Grebs or Gilbert would fetch Halak. I’d prefer Gilbert to go quite honestly. Grebs plays better away from the puck than Gilbert and would flourish with more ice time in my opinion. Then the question of the RHD comes up though, but it would not be a high factor in my decision to move him Gilbert if we could get Halak.

Damn, I forgot about Potulny as well.. doh! :P

But I think there are a few guys that would rotate through the 13th/14th slot and in the line up, depending on the situation and how they are playing.

So really at this point it looks like we’re talking about a couple of role player replacements (Moreau being one) and depth signings on forwards. If any of the “core” group we mentioned are moved, it will be in a package with someone to improve upon what that player brings (just a random example: say JFJ+O’Sullivan for Horton) On defense, we’re talking about a re-invention in a sense. Our defense is heavily biased on offensive-minded forwards. It would do more good to balance it out more. Ultimately, bringing in guys that play like Smid would be a huge plus (capable at both ends)

And yes, good point about the RHD.. always forget about that. Why didn’t we make Boynton an offer again? :P RHD, can hit hard, can play in his own end, can shoot, can move the puck… he’s like an advanced Smid. I know we wouldn’t necessarily have won out over Anaheim, but I’d at least like to see some attempts on players like that.

35. Mr.Majestyk says:

I’m glad to see you guys discussing the team actually doing a re-build that makes us a better team. So many fans are in favour of ‘blowing the team up’ just so we can start from scratch. Its really easy to just write off our group as a terrible team, and they obviously haven’t been very good, but fans should atleast be looking at the positives because those are the areas we can build upon moving forward.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure drafting a guy like Taylor Hall would be beneficial to any team, but when I keep hearing about how we should tank for Taylor it just reminds me of how fans think that if we get a superstar UFA, we’ll suddenly be a great team. Taylor Hall won’t be our saviour. Its going to take hard work, players buying into the system and management working with the coaching staff so that we bring in players that will excel under the system.

I’d trade Souray(while we can still get a decent return on him), Grebeskov(because I don’t think Quinn likes his ‘bonehead’ plays), Nilsson(if he continues to have a decent year because he might have some value), Moreau(to send a message to the team that another page has been turned). I wouldn’t necesarily do all these moves, but it really depends on what we get in return. I’m not in favour of moving both Souray and Grebs and filling in with Pecks and Chorney. One of those guys but not both.

MrM: A lot of people misconstrue “tanking for Taylor” as meaning what you said though… that people want to start all over from scratch and that Hall/Seguin are expected to magically fix the team. Some might actually believe that Hall/Seguin are the magic fixes, but they’re fools. However, I do still support the idea of tanking THIS year and this year only (and I believe Chucker does too) because of our very, very, very, remote chances of making the playoffs this year. So why not pick up someone along the way? That would go a lot further for the team’s future than making a valiant, but failing effort to make the playoffs. Someone else calculated that we’d have to win at a SJ pace in order to make that magic number (91-ish). Forget it… don’t kid yourself.

The Oil in my view should just scrap the season. I’m not talking about a complete dismantling of the team and utter re-build. I’m talking about selecting who you think will help this team in the long run, and hanging on to them. Jettison the dead weight (your Moreaus and ultimately Nilssons due to consistency issues) in any way possible – trade to teams looking for a playoff boost, or waivers.

As for us, if we can pick up some key players in the process, that would be a miracle, but I’ve made my opinion clear on what I think we need… so if we can get those guys, great. But really have no problems with this team hitting rock bottom again this year… and this year only.. because they’re already there and the playoffs are so far out of reach.

I keep saying it, but the team really is just a half a dozen smaller/medium size fixes away from being a real team. And well, it keeps not working out that way because our GMs constantly shoot for the stars (Hossa, Jagr, Heatley, etc.) and forget about those quality, value players (Glencross, etc.). That’s got to stop.

So yah, I’m not in favor of completely blowing up this team and going on a 4-5 year rebuild starting now, but I’m definitely not opposed to one more year of complete shit to help strengthen our future all that more. Hall/Seguin won’t fix the team on their own by any stretch of the imagination, but they sure would be nice components to continue to build off of.

37. Mr.Majestyk says:

yeah, I’m completely prepared to see us miss the playoffs this year. Heck, I’m sort of used to it now. It must be just the way I interpret what others are thinking when they say they want the team to tank. Even when we’re losing, there are things to learn. I said last year it would have been nice to fire MacT during the season, I think we’d be further ahead in the makeup of the team we need and want. What are the expectations of this team? What were the expectations at the start of the season? I think Quinn and company have worked extremely hard to change the culture of the team, and I for one have seen a big difference in that regard pretty much every night.

gr8one: we definitely have a good young core here, especially when you factor in Eberle and MPS, especially MPS, whom I honestly think that looking back in 5 years that there will be only 2 players from his draft year that will be better(Tavares, Hedman and maybe Duchene)and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being if not as good as Forsberg, but close to it.that being said, how amazing would it be having a Taylor Hall to complement him?I think this season is a write off already…so why play for a lower draft pick? clean house, keep our young core, bring up Chorney and Peckham for the remainder of the season so they get some good experience for next season, and in the offseason sign a UFA vet forward for, as well as an older mean/tough/big shutdown D for leadership and mentoring.

Yeah, when you look at Eberle and MPS looking like locks for the team next year, it really makes guys like Nilsson, Gagner, POS or some others like Reddox very expendable. Chorney I thought played very well in his call up so I’d put him in for the 6/7 spot for next year and he could replace the presence of one of Gilbert/Grebs, should one get moved, on the second unit PP.

Here’s the list of UFA’s for the summer: http://nhlnumbers.com/freeagents.php?team=none&pos=none&summer=2010&status=none&type=none Lots of role players and guys who could make us a better team for a fair price. Tallinder would be nice.

I see Lebda and Lilja are also UFAs……

Anton Volchenkov immediately caught my attention. He would be a pricey defender. But perhaps that’s a guy who could replace Souray, if traded.

I can’t believe how small Lebda is.. for that reason, I’d have to pass on him.

Tallinder is a very good choice though.

Zbynek Michalek might be a good choice as well, although I don’t know enough about him. But he has size (although apparently isn’t known for using it) and the report on him has him as a shutdown d-man.

Nick Boynton will also be available again, so perhaps the Oil can take a crack at him this time around.

42. Mr.Majestyk says:

I guess my concern is the part where you say ‘so they get some good experience’. I’m just not high on the idea that bringing guys in to fill roles on the team(if they aren’t ready)is a good idea. If they aren’t forced to log huge minutes its not a big deal, but if we are going to be playing both those guys, they are going to play lots, and that might not be good for their development. Its nice to give guys all they can handle, but if you give them more than they can handle, it has adverse effects.

The only concern I have against bringing up Chorney and/or Peckham is the effect on Springfield. We raped and pillaged them last year, and have done that a bit this year (Dubnyk’s call up alone seems to have crippled the team). But really, Chorney fit in well when he was called up and I see no reason that he couldn’t develop well up here. Peckham.. well.. hard to say about him just yet. His last call up was less than memorable, but possibly due to injury. But agree, no need to rush players in.

44. Mr.Majestyk says:

What is the effect it would have on Springfield? That the team would be so pathetic that it would make it difficult for the players there to develop? That is my concern for the Oilers.

Yah that would definitely be the worry. Really, the team was actually looking good before Doobie was recalled too. They were just a few points out of the top spot in their Conference. Doobie gets recalled, and they go on a hugggge losing skid. They’ve actually lost every single game (albeit a few in OT/SO) since he was recalled back in November. That’s 15 games! They went from the top of the heap to bottom feeders (like the Oilers, they are 2nd last in their league).

We obviously would want these guys to get as much hockey in as they can, and that would mean playoffs. An uncompetitive team does no good for the small club, obviously, and also hurts the big club in that the players may have issues in developing.

46. Mr.Majestyk says:

I was just watching the Storts vs Rypien fight at the Oilers site. Why wouldn’t the Oilers own website get a different audio feed for that fight? It was the idiotic Canucks feed, radio I’m guessing. Just brutal. Give it a listen if you want to hate the Canucks more.

I’m guessing the NHL supplies the videos.

I just watched the video though… and I’m not sure what you’re talking about, unless you saw different footage (which shouldn’t even exist, anyways). This was covered nationally by CBC, and Jim Hughson and Craig Simpson did the commentary. Hughson is a bit Canuck biased, but these guys both used to do color on Sportsnet for the Oilers (pre-Ferraro). Not to mention, Craig Simpson was of course a former assistant coach and player here.

Are you watching the old fight between the two, or something (i.e. not this Saturday’s fight)?

49. Mr.Majestyk says:

the one from Saturday. I got the link from today’s media at the oilers site. Back To Basics.