Hey everyone! How are we all doing on this fine day. It is my last day of work this week, and then its time to sit on my ass and do nothing.
I happened to be at the last game (row 6!) and, well, the team sucked. It wasn’t a total waste as one of my favorite players was Winchester and he had a pretty good game, but other than that it was pretty much the suck.
I imagine this is what coyote fans feel like most of the time.
Anyways the team will win this one because now we all don’t expect it. And thats how they roll.
Oh, and canada keeps winning at the juniors. I noticed a couple of our picks playing for finland (I think) and they looked decent, as did Eberle, so things are looking up!
And just say no to tanking. As I mentioned in the comments in the last post (and to Samus), you don’t need to tank and draft well to get good, just look at the ’06 team (and the number of rookies on it). Cheap, reliable vets.
Anyways, here are you daily dose of Racki-stats:
Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)
Minnesota Wild Projected Line-Up (subject to change)
Brunette Koivu Meittinen
Sheppard Ebbett Havlat
Boogaard Belanger Nolan
Kobasew Brodziak Clutterbuck
- The lines have been jumbled again, but more or less back to how they were on the 5 game winning streak on the road. Except Potulny will now take over the number one center role, and Gagner takes over his spot to remain with Cogliano.
- On the Wild injury front, Latendresse may return tonight (currently out with flu), however Havlat is a game time decision due to the flu.
1ST PERIOD SUMMARY
13:35 – MIN – PP – Brunette from Zidlicky, Koivu
Koivu serves one up for Zidlicky who blasts it from the point. Brunette picks up a fat rebound in the slot and backhands it top shelf.
15:24 – EDM – Nilsson from Gilbert, Stortini
Gilbert throws it on net and Backstrom pushes out a big rebound. Nilsson picks up on the backhand, goes forehand and puts it upstairs.
- O’Sullivan and Horcoff break into the zone with O’Sullivan passing it over to Horcoff. Horcoff drops it back to the point and Gilbert wrists a hard one off the bar.
- Stone vs. Stoner. Great tilt. Very nice one which really energizes the crowd. Stoner throws a few too many shots that look to be to the back of the head for my liking, but great fight, nonetheless. I’d call it a draw.
- Oilers second PK is a really good one (after they allowed a goal on the first PP). The Wild don’t even manage a shot on goal this time around.
2ND PERIOD SUMMARY
18:22 – MIN – Nolan from Belanger
Belanger passes it to Nolan in the high slot. Nolan walks in and puts a backhand top cheese.
- On the PP, Penner feeds Brule from behind the net into the slot. Backstrom makes the save.
- Sorry I’m only half paying attention right now to the game, so not much in the way of highlights from me. But from what I’ve seen, the Oil are playing decent hockey.
3RD PERIOD SUMMARY
19:54 – MIN – EN – Latendresse from Clutterbuck
Clutterbuck fires from centre ice at the empty net and misses. Latendresse gets the rebound off the backboards and puts it away.
- Souray and Nolan jaw at each other and drop the gloves. Nolan’s old man power won’t work here. Credit to him for staying in it, but aside from a couple of punches thrown early, he looks like he’s just holding on for survival. Souray doesn’t really get too many shots off either.
- O’Sullivan finds himself in all alone on a breakaway. Unfortunately, Backstrom comes up big, making the blocker save. O’Sullivan got hacked as he was shooting, as well. Oil on the powerplay.
- Nilsson hits Havlat a bit late after a whistle. A mini line brawl ensues in the corner of the Oilers zone. The Oilers have a bit of the advantage here with their 4th line on the ice, including Stone, Stortini and Staios.
- Getting chippy now. A couple shifts later.. Clutterbuck hits Horcoff. Horcoff takes exception and throws a gloved punch back and another small brawl breaks out. Dustin Penner roughs Clutterbuck up some more, wrapping his arm around his head. Dustin Penner takes two Wild to the penalty box with him.
- Deslauriers makes a bit save on Koivu on the Wild powerplay keeping the score close.
- Souray and O’Sullivan get a two on one short-handed chance, but Backstrom shuts the door.
- With one minute left, the Oilers pull the goalie.
Decent game played by the Oil. They stayed in it the whole way. Tough loss… but they didn’t have their asses handed to them, like the last game.