By , December 23, 2009 10:25 am

This logo took me a damn long time...

Hey everyone!  How are we all doing on this fine day.  It is my last day of work this week, and then its time to sit on my ass and do nothing.

I happened to be at the last game (row 6!) and, well, the team sucked.  It wasn’t a total waste as one of my favorite players was Winchester and he had a pretty good game, but other than that it was pretty much the suck.

I imagine this is what coyote fans feel like most of the time.

Anyways the team will win this one because now we all don’t expect it.  And thats how they roll.

Oh, and canada keeps winning at the juniors.  I noticed a couple of our picks playing for finland (I think) and they looked decent, as did Eberle, so things are looking up!

And just say no to tanking.  As I mentioned in the comments in the last post (and to Samus), you don’t need to tank and draft well to get good, just look at the ’06 team (and the number of rookies on it).  Cheap, reliable vets.

Anyways, here are you daily dose of Racki-stats:

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Potulny-Brule
Jacques-Horcoff-O’Sullivan
Moreau-Gagner-Cogliano
Stone-Stortini-Nilsson

Visnovsky-Smid
Souray-Gilbert
Grebeshkov-Staios

Deslauriers
Doobie

Minnesota Wild Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Brunette Koivu Meittinen

19.2 PP% 17.1
76.6 PK% 83.6
28.1 S/G 29.4
32.4 SA/G 27.8
46.6 FO% 53

GAME NOTES

- The lines have been jumbled again, but more or less back to how they were on the 5 game winning streak on the road. Except Potulny will now take over the number one center role, and Gagner takes over his spot to remain with Cogliano.
- On the Wild injury front, Latendresse may return tonight (currently out with flu), however Havlat is a game time decision due to the flu.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

13:35 – MIN – PP – Brunette from Zidlicky, Koivu
Koivu serves one up for Zidlicky who blasts it from the point. Brunette picks up a fat rebound in the slot and backhands it top shelf.
15:24 – EDM – Nilsson from Gilbert, Stortini
Gilbert throws it on net and Backstrom pushes out a big rebound. Nilsson picks up on the backhand, goes forehand and puts it upstairs.

Other Highlights
- O’Sullivan and Horcoff break into the zone with O’Sullivan passing it over to Horcoff. Horcoff drops it back to the point and Gilbert wrists a hard one off the bar.
- Stone vs. Stoner. Great tilt. Very nice one which really energizes the crowd. Stoner throws a few too many shots that look to be to the back of the head for my liking, but great fight, nonetheless. I’d call it a draw.
- Oilers second PK is a really good one (after they allowed a goal on the first PP). The Wild don’t even manage a shot on goal this time around.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

18:22 – MIN – Nolan from Belanger
Belanger passes it to Nolan in the high slot. Nolan walks in and puts a backhand top cheese.

Other Highlights
- On the PP, Penner feeds Brule from behind the net into the slot. Backstrom makes the save.
- Sorry I’m only half paying attention right now to the game, so not much in the way of highlights from me. But from what I’ve seen, the Oil are playing decent hockey.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

19:54 – MIN – EN – Latendresse from Clutterbuck
Clutterbuck fires from centre ice at the empty net and misses. Latendresse gets the rebound off the backboards and puts it away.

Other Highlights
- Souray and Nolan jaw at each other and drop the gloves. Nolan’s old man power won’t work here. Credit to him for staying in it, but aside from a couple of punches thrown early, he looks like he’s just holding on for survival. Souray doesn’t really get too many shots off either.
- O’Sullivan finds himself in all alone on a breakaway. Unfortunately, Backstrom comes up big, making the blocker save. O’Sullivan got hacked as he was shooting, as well. Oil on the powerplay.
- Nilsson hits Havlat a bit late after a whistle. A mini line brawl ensues in the corner of the Oilers zone. The Oilers have a bit of the advantage here with their 4th line on the ice, including Stone, Stortini and Staios.
- Getting chippy now. A couple shifts later.. Clutterbuck hits Horcoff. Horcoff takes exception and throws a gloved punch back and another small brawl breaks out. Dustin Penner roughs Clutterbuck up some more, wrapping his arm around his head. Dustin Penner takes two Wild to the penalty box with him.
- Deslauriers makes a bit save on Koivu on the Wild powerplay keeping the score close.
- Souray and O’Sullivan get a two on one short-handed chance, but Backstrom shuts the door.
- With one minute left, the Oilers pull the goalie.

POST-GAME RANT

Decent game played by the Oil. They stayed in it the whole way. Tough loss… but they didn’t have their asses handed to them, like the last game.

64 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 1, Minnesota Wild 3 – Dec 23, 2009 @ 5:00 PM – SNET – Game 37”

At Mr. M’s request…a new Poll is up. It’s a lengthy one, but a good idea.

am I blind, or is Stone not on the list of the new poll?

damn, how did I miss that one?

Ok, for those that voted and were unable to pick Stone but wanted to… post here to let me know you wanted to pick Stone (and I’ll manually add the vote). He’s in the poll now too for those that haven’t voted.

4. OilerTyler says:

The pool didn’t count Bryzgalovs shutout today, nooooooooo

Damn, you had a helluva goaltending night. 1.000GAA for Roli, 0.000 for Bryz.

Maybe it’ll credit the SO tomorrow when it tallies the points.

On the poll, all the young guns are here to stay. Get rid of Moreau, Staios at the deadline, and let Struds and pisani walk at years end. Just rebuild and come back next year ready to win. I think that Tambi and Lowe both need to be fired. I for one am very excited about what could be next year.

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Eberle-Brule-Hall

running the top 6

I’m guessing you are a Flamer or a nuckle head. Your pick. Keep Strudwick? Keep Staios? Are you high? This team does suck, we all know that. Its something called a rebuild where you trade the vets (Moreau, Staios, Strudwick, Pisani,) KEEP Hemsky and all the young guys get a good pick and make it in next season. You have no idea what you are saying. Might I remind you that Souray took a cheap hot earlier and his head has bee screwed up this season. Without doubt that plays into how he performs. I don’t think you watch these guys because Souray isn’t as bad as you say. Vishnovsky makes mistakes????? Ok buddy, say what you want but your a dumbass. Vish has been nasty this season and is the best Oiler defender. As for signing guys forget it. We are rebuilding through the draft, getting younger and better. I’ll take losing this season, getting Hall and winning and making the playoffs next season. get out you troll. you have been served

Hey guys, don’t bother responding to trolling comments… I just ban those posters. No need to keep that kind of crap going.

ok thanks racki. Merry Christmas man

10. Mr.Majestyk says:

Merry Christmas everyone!

I find it funny that Dustin Penner, the guy most fans wanted to see moved last year, is leading the way on the ‘must keep’ list. Its not surprising, he’s been our best player this year. Its just funny how he can go from goat to saviour.

Racki: Not that anyone was really dying to be rid of him either, but the 2nd place guy is one of the others involved in the Heatley trade (so far Penner and Smid lead the way). Cogliano, who was once an untouchable here, is way at the bottom… that I find a bit surprising.

I don’t think that’s necessarily a reflection of fans not wanting Cogs or not appreciating his value, but more of a reflection of him being a small, skilled forward and having enough value to get something we need in return. For that reason, I’m not surprised.

Ya, definitely the way to look at it, gr8one.

Racki: Ya, definitely the way to look at it, gr8one.So any of you folks watching the World Juniors tomorrow??? I look forward to this every year.

They are showing it on NHLNET here in the US. I have work tomorrow so I’ll miss the Latvia game. Might TiVo it tho.