By , December 21, 2009 9:32 am
Easy logo, I just half assed it...

Easy logo, I just half assed it...

Right now would be a great time for the Oilers to make another run and get back into the mix as we currently are rocking the last spot in the conference, plus if the laffs get more points than the oilers I shall have to eat a whole lot of crow, and I don’t want that.

That said, I think we have played the Blues pretty well the last few years.

Racki-stats:

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Horcoff -Penner-Nilsson
Coglian-Gagner-Stone
Moreau-Potulny-Brule
Jacques-Stortini-O’Sullivan

Visnovsky-Smid
Souray-Gilbert
Grebeshkov-Staios

Doobie
Deslauriers

St. Louis Blues Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Kariya – Backes – Oshie

14.5 PP% 19.6
85.6 PK% 79
29.7 S/G 28.2
31 SA/G 32.6
49 FO% 46.7

GAME NOTES

- To come as news comes later

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

7:04 – STL – Perron from Berglund, Crombeen
Berglund carries the puck behind the net. Both Visnovsky and Smid bite and chase him from either side of the net, leaving Perron uncovered in the slot. Berglund passes it out front and Perron slides it under Doobie.
9:40 – EDM – Gagner from Cogliano
Cogliano steals the puck at the blue line. He looks a bit gassed, but still beats the blues defenseman somehow and gets a shot off that Mason couldn’t handle. Gagner easily puts it into the open net.

Other Highlights
- Visnovsky goes down and blocks a shot and goes off limping.. but he looks to be OK.
- On the PK, O’Sullivan gets into the Blues zone ahead of anyone and spots Stone streaking in. He fires a shot that deflects over the net.
- Stortini blocks a shot and looks hurt at first, but it’ll take a lot more than that to stop the Zack Attack!
- Stone makes a great play to create a turnover in the Blues zone, stealing the puck off a Blues’ stick. He falls down on the play and falls back, and shoots the puck off. Great attempt, but Mason makes the save.
- The 3 members of the former “Kid Line” (Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson) are showing some good jump so far this period and showing signs of being the guys that carried the team on their backs a couple years ago.
- Stortini throws a nice big hit to finish a check on Polak.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

2:52 – STL – MacDonald from Tkachuk, Jackman
The Blues win the draw back to the point. Jackman carries it down below the line and throws it out front. Tkachuk tips it over to MacDonald who is skating into the slot and stuffs it under Dubnyk.
5:18 – EDM – Penner from Horcoff
Penner battles for possession behind the net and earns a goal as he fires from a bad angle and beats Mason through the five hole from the bottom of the faceoff circle.
13:29 – STL – PP – Boyes from Steen
Boyes throws it on net from the corner and Smid one times it in. Yes, I said Smid. Woops.
16:29 – STL – PP – Backes from Berglund, Kariya
Oshie drops it to the point. Kariya slaps it from the point, low. Berglund tips it and then Backes tips it again between Dubnyk’s pad and glove.
17:08 – STL – McClement from Kariya
McClement picks up the puck at the blue and manages to rush in almost untouched as Gilbert is forced to play the pass. McClement puts it upstairs.

Other Highlights
- Stortini hits Johnson behind the net, and Crombeen takes exception and drops the gloves. Stortini throws a half dozen punches but nothing connects and Crombeen pulls him down to the ice.
- Jacques and Steen have some words before the whistle. When the puck is dropped, Winchester jumps in and they drop the gloves. Great tilt as both throw heavy hands. Winchester scores the takedown. Pretty even fight, but I’ll give Winchester the marginal win here.
- Visnovsky gets hammerred by Oshie.
- Kevin Quinn points out at the 11 minute mark of the 2nd that the Oilers are outshooting the Blues 20 to 7.
- Well that changes very quickly as suddenly the Blues wake up… and also get some powerplay chances and pot a few goals.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

2:01 – STL – PP – MacDonald from Boyes, Steen
The blues work the perimeter and then go cross-seam to MacDonald who one-times it in.
16:01 – STL – Steen from Sydor, Winchester
Steen fires a wrister from the top of the dot that may have re-directed past Dubnyk.

Other Highlights
- The Oilers look pretty catatonic, this period. Perhaps because it’s pretty much over.
- O’Sullivan, Stortini and Jacques seeing powerplay time… you know our powerplay is horrible when…
- Dubnyk is a considerably better puckhandler than Deslauriers. Much better.
- Stortini still sacrificing the body, blocking shots while down 6-2.
- Oshie rocks Moreau with a nice hit. Moreau gets upset by the hit and chases down Oshie and gives him the business, earning a penalty.
- Moreau throws a hit on Sydor, completely ignoring the puck. They both drop the gloves. Moreau gets the better shots in.. not a lot of damage done, however.

POST-GAME RANT

Well, the Oilers played 30 minutes of great hockey. Then, for whatever reason, the switch went and we saw “last place” Oilers take over. The Blues got two powerplays in a few minutes, on which they scored. They then scored on another quick goal after. After that, the wheels just full off and the Oilers looked completely out of the game, save for a couple of players (the blue collar types). Moreau was definitely pissed towards the end, roughing up anyone in his way and eventually picking a fight with Sydor.

94 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 2, St. Louis Blues 7 – Dec 21, 2009 @ 7:00 PM – SNET – Game 36”

game over….season over

I was just about to type up “I was there in 97 when we came back against the Stars from 3-0 with 5 minutes left in the playoffs!” and then the Blues scored. Dammmmn yous!

Well, one thing to note, at least Doobie can play the puck.

4. Hockey Noob says:

I can’t believe how good St. Louis’ power play has looked against the Oilers both games. It’s crazy. They look like an all-star team on the pp, yet they were 29t in the league heading into this game.

Can we rebuild this team right? Fire BOTH Lowe and Tambi. Waive Horcoff, Khabibulin, trade Moreau and Staios. Let Pisani and strudwick walk at the end of the year and trade Souray, Vish and fucking dubynk. All young guys. Lets do this shit right, not half ass

Hockey Noob: I can’t believe how good St. Louis’ power play has looked against the Oilers both games.It’s crazy.They look like an all-star team on the pp, yet they were 29t in the league heading into this game.

The Oilers have a way of awakening other teams’ special teams.

BRING THE BBM BACK!

oh and at least Mact made the season interesting till the end, Quinn is just old and truly doesn’t know what hes doing. Yeah I said it

Has NO been to all these games? Shame he travelled so far to not see an Oiler win.

lol, B.O., you’re crazy.. you need a bottle of Prozac. You’re all over the place and contradict yourself from week to week. Take a step back ;)

And LNOF, I don’t know if NO went to any of the games, but he already left town (Sunday). He did watch, as far as I know, the other 3 losses though.

Racki: Strotini and Jacques on the powerplay is a nice way of Quinn saying “the rest of you f#@!ing idiots haven’t done $#!t on the powerplay!”

haha, yeah…and MacTavish is sitting on his sofa at home laughing nefariously as he says aloud “SEE, THIS IS WHY I PUT REDDOX ON THE FIRST LINE!”

Racki: lol, B.O., you’re crazy.. you need a bottle of Prozac. You’re all over the place and contradict yourself from week to week. Take a step back

lol, thank you!

I was pretty much going to say the same thing, but decided against it!

Down 6-2 I’m not even going to complain about the bad penalty by Moreau.

yeah, I actually thought to myself…

“that’s a penalty Moreau doesn’t take in a close game”

for half a second.

I’d like to point out that it is currently the holiday roster freeze (meaning no trades / waivers). But I would have to bet that once it’s over, Tambellini will be calling someone on his phone other than his wife.

Racki: And if the 9-2, 10-2 and 8-3 losses under MacT were “making it interesting”, I’ll take boring Old Balls Quinn.

you fucking know what I mean. Mact coached teams NEVER HIT LAST PLACE IN THE WEST. Quinn isn’t the answer. I hope both he and Tambi are fired. oh and Moreau is the NHL’s worst captain. I’ve said it since the day he was named it. This team and organization blows. They are pissing me off, I’m done with them. catch you all draft day

This team is like a bad girlfriend. They piss you off, do everyhing wrong and fuck up all the time, yet you try and styick up for them.

The team is one rank lower than it was in 06/07. The team does need a lot of work. I am not pinning it on coaching this time though. I don’t think Quinn has shown to be any worse or even any better at this point than MacT.

The defensive play of our defense is pretty poor. That’s one place they need a lot of work. We’re long overdue to move one of the top 4 guys for a solid defensive defenseman. We need to move some small skills guys for bigger guys who will get their hands dirty.

It sucks, but this team just isn’t good, and I’m seeing it now.

Bostonoiler:

whoa dude, grab your blanky and take a timeout in the corner.

normally I like you, and chalk up your antics as being young and emotional, but the way you’re acting tonight is just bad form.

Racki: The team is one rank lower than it was in 06/07. The team does need a lot of work. I am not pinning it on coaching this time though.I don’t think Quinn has shown to be any worse or even any better at this point than MacT.Really, as much as I hate to say it, it’s the team. Lowe’s made a tough mess for Tambellini with the contracts, for sure. There are ways out though (waiving players or trading guys for minimal return). But Tambellini has to be willing to do it, as does Katz, really.
    It sucks, but this team just isn’t good, and I’m seeing it now.

Too bad Tambi is fucking stupid. He has done nothing good since coming here. He gave a shit contract to Khabibulin, Didn’t fill any needs and just went for Heatley and made us look real desperate. fucked up on Cole for O’Sullivan, Let Roli walk. Hes dumb. Make a move you fuck!

gr8one:
    whoa dude, grab your blanky and take a timeout in the corner.Racki’s most redeeming quality as a blogger is that he calls em’ how he sees em’ and doesn’t “sugarcoat” or “defend” anything that doesn’t deserve it, and is always fair in his assessments, often going against his his “homerism”.

Would you like me pat these guys on the back tonight? Usually when at school and such I try to defend them. Trust me I will be bashing again tomorrow morning at school with friends, who get to watch a winner. Team sucks. There I called it as I saw it.

gr8one:

You thought I meant that I was saying Racki stood up for them.. No No I meant myself. my bad there lol

Bostonoiler:

oh…lol, my bad too…well then forget what I said. <3

gr8one: uote)

hahaa all good lol.Losing wouldn’t bother me at all if we decided to rebuild and get good young talent. However losing like this just pisses me up

Fact of the Night: Oilers are 0-8 in their last 8 home games, 1-9 in last 10

gr8one:
    oh…lol, my bad too…well then forget what I said. <3although, you are still kinda acting in bad form, but I do understand your frustrations with this team.it is not a good team, and things need to be done. it couldn’t be worse timing for the Holiday roster freeze.

I’m hoping to god that after the freeze that we do something….ANYTHOING

That’s horrible (our crappy home record in the last 10).

Btw, B.O., all of us can agree that the Oilers are stinking the joint up. But this isn’t the Oilers Message Board. Have an adult conversation here. Throwing the f-bombs out left and right just for the sake of doing it isn’t really going to fly here. You’re better than that. I do agree with the overall sentiment that this team is frustrating. But you’re definitely overreacting a bit. I don’t normally like to tell people to calm down, but the difference between here and a place like the OMB is this will be a fun place to come without people having a shit fit over a loss ;)

Criticize the team, yes (or management or coaching, or whatever)… they have it coming. Just try to be tactful about it.

And btw, sorry if that sounded harsh… I’m not pissed about it or anything. We’re all fans of the team and one thing that will separate this site from other sites is I’d like to filter out the really overly negative talk, and keep the stress levels low. Again that doesn’t mean don’t be critical of the team… cause that would be pretty silly. Just be constructive about it.

Tencer summed it up “Don’t give up on the future for a rental now. It might take two years of sucking, but it will pay off. They just aren’t re-building right, is just astounding.” I’m cool with losing for 2 years if we go all young. We have Gagner, Cogliano, Eberle, MPS, Nilsson, Brule, Potulny, Omark, Hemsky, Stone, JFJ, this years 1st and next years 1st for young forwards. on d: Chorney, Peckham, Smid, Gilbert, Grebeskov, Motin. JDD in net. Let these guys develop and I think in 2 years they will contend. Just rebuild right and use the draft like chicago and LA and get top prospects. I’m not sure what to think about this team right now. Up and Down .500 all year long. Klowe’s mess. He needs to go next.

Racki: If I could log into the OMB, lol just be happy I haven’t been able to figure it out.

lol B.O. You might be interested to know that they’re going to switch back to the old board sometime soon.

And I really agree with the last post of yours.

Staufer almost made me cry “People wined that we couldn’t trade Penner. People now complain about Horcoff now, yeah hes got a big cap hit but is valuable. People call out trading Hemsky now. ARE YOU ON CRACK? Hemsky has a 4.1 ca hit.” Tencer sounds horrified.

33. Puritania says:

I’m not going to say a whole lot about the shit show that was tonights game as I’m drinking tears out of my beers. I will say however I was glad to see at least one Oiler got pissed off after taking a butt raping. I havent been Choppers biggest fan recently but good on him for not taking it lying down. One thing that makes me shit franks red hot is watching the Oil take a humiliating loss without getting nasty. Grow a pair you nancy boys and go down swinging.

(P.S. Sorry for the wall of text)

34. OilerTyler says:

A buddy of mine flew in to Edmonton from Montreal today, and I decided that I would take him to the game. I really wish I didn’t now, that was brutal. The Oilers lack of effort was shocking, it looked like they simply didn’t care after the third goal was scored. We were playing great hockey up until that point.

I actually own a Paul Kariya St Louis Blues jersey, next time I go to a game between the Blues and Oilers, I will actually consider wearing it

Racki: lol B.O.You might be interested to know that they’re going to switch back to the old board sometime soon.
    And I really agree with the last post of yours.

about time lol.

I think the Oilers need to bite the bullet and just rebuild. I buy into it, and there are a lot of fans that though too. 2 years of suck, it will make for a fantastic run during my senior year lol. We have a ton of prospects, and guys like cogs, nils, gags, sull, hemmer and pens on the team now.

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Eberle-Brule-O’Sullivan
    Svensson-Horcoff(He ain’t leaving)-Nilsson
    Stortini-Potulny-Stone
    JFJ

Smid-Gilbert
    Grebeskov-Chorney
    Peckham-Seguin

JDD
    Dubynk/ Pitton

Btw Seguin isn’t a d-man.. not sure why you have him there…

Racki: I’m just typing up a post about re-building. Will get it up tonight. Not an angry rant.. not solely based on tonight.
    Btw Seguin isn’t a d-man.. not sure why you have him there…

why did I think he played defense??? God I need sleep.

Puritania: LOLThis team just makes your heart swell eh?

I feel for Quinn and even MacT now.

Can anyone give me an assessment of how Nilsson played tonight? I only saw the 3rd period and quite frankly I wasn’t paying particular attention to him. I guess it’s not a good thing his line was taken off the PP at the end. A couple Isles fans are wondering, he still has a bit of a following there.

New post up.. and thanks Chucker, I was actually looking for the link to that site. I was curious where we stood. Yikes.

chucker: I feel for Quinn and even MacT now.

Jeez, if that was a sales graph I’d be recommending bankruptcy right now.

42. Horpensky says:

If you watched St. Louis’ PP tonight, there is no way you’d think they’d be 29th. Their passing was crisp and clean and they executed.

Anyways… we suck. Period.