Right now would be a great time for the Oilers to make another run and get back into the mix as we currently are rocking the last spot in the conference, plus if the laffs get more points than the oilers I shall have to eat a whole lot of crow, and I don’t want that.
That said, I think we have played the Blues pretty well the last few years.
Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)
St. Louis Blues Projected Line-Up (subject to change)
Kariya – Backes – Oshie
Tkachuk – McDonald – Boyes
McClement – Steen – Winchester
Perron – Berglund – Crombeen
Sydor – Johnson
Jackman – Polak
Colaiacovo – Weaver
– To come as news comes later
1ST PERIOD SUMMARY
7:04 – STL – Perron from Berglund, Crombeen
Berglund carries the puck behind the net. Both Visnovsky and Smid bite and chase him from either side of the net, leaving Perron uncovered in the slot. Berglund passes it out front and Perron slides it under Doobie.
9:40 – EDM – Gagner from Cogliano
Cogliano steals the puck at the blue line. He looks a bit gassed, but still beats the blues defenseman somehow and gets a shot off that Mason couldn’t handle. Gagner easily puts it into the open net.
– Visnovsky goes down and blocks a shot and goes off limping.. but he looks to be OK.
– On the PK, O’Sullivan gets into the Blues zone ahead of anyone and spots Stone streaking in. He fires a shot that deflects over the net.
– Stortini blocks a shot and looks hurt at first, but it’ll take a lot more than that to stop the Zack Attack!
– Stone makes a great play to create a turnover in the Blues zone, stealing the puck off a Blues’ stick. He falls down on the play and falls back, and shoots the puck off. Great attempt, but Mason makes the save.
– The 3 members of the former “Kid Line” (Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson) are showing some good jump so far this period and showing signs of being the guys that carried the team on their backs a couple years ago.
– Stortini throws a nice big hit to finish a check on Polak.
2ND PERIOD SUMMARY
2:52 – STL – MacDonald from Tkachuk, Jackman
The Blues win the draw back to the point. Jackman carries it down below the line and throws it out front. Tkachuk tips it over to MacDonald who is skating into the slot and stuffs it under Dubnyk.
5:18 – EDM – Penner from Horcoff
Penner battles for possession behind the net and earns a goal as he fires from a bad angle and beats Mason through the five hole from the bottom of the faceoff circle.
13:29 – STL – PP – Boyes from Steen
Boyes throws it on net from the corner and Smid one times it in. Yes, I said Smid. Woops.
16:29 – STL – PP – Backes from Berglund, Kariya
Oshie drops it to the point. Kariya slaps it from the point, low. Berglund tips it and then Backes tips it again between Dubnyk’s pad and glove.
17:08 – STL – McClement from Kariya
McClement picks up the puck at the blue and manages to rush in almost untouched as Gilbert is forced to play the pass. McClement puts it upstairs.
– Stortini hits Johnson behind the net, and Crombeen takes exception and drops the gloves. Stortini throws a half dozen punches but nothing connects and Crombeen pulls him down to the ice.
– Jacques and Steen have some words before the whistle. When the puck is dropped, Winchester jumps in and they drop the gloves. Great tilt as both throw heavy hands. Winchester scores the takedown. Pretty even fight, but I’ll give Winchester the marginal win here.
– Visnovsky gets hammerred by Oshie.
– Kevin Quinn points out at the 11 minute mark of the 2nd that the Oilers are outshooting the Blues 20 to 7.
– Well that changes very quickly as suddenly the Blues wake up… and also get some powerplay chances and pot a few goals.
3RD PERIOD SUMMARY
2:01 – STL – PP – MacDonald from Boyes, Steen
The blues work the perimeter and then go cross-seam to MacDonald who one-times it in.
16:01 – STL – Steen from Sydor, Winchester
Steen fires a wrister from the top of the dot that may have re-directed past Dubnyk.
– The Oilers look pretty catatonic, this period. Perhaps because it’s pretty much over.
– O’Sullivan, Stortini and Jacques seeing powerplay time… you know our powerplay is horrible when…
– Dubnyk is a considerably better puckhandler than Deslauriers. Much better.
– Stortini still sacrificing the body, blocking shots while down 6-2.
– Oshie rocks Moreau with a nice hit. Moreau gets upset by the hit and chases down Oshie and gives him the business, earning a penalty.
– Moreau throws a hit on Sydor, completely ignoring the puck. They both drop the gloves. Moreau gets the better shots in.. not a lot of damage done, however.
Well, the Oilers played 30 minutes of great hockey. Then, for whatever reason, the switch went and we saw “last place” Oilers take over. The Blues got two powerplays in a few minutes, on which they scored. They then scored on another quick goal after. After that, the wheels just full off and the Oilers looked completely out of the game, save for a couple of players (the blue collar types). Moreau was definitely pissed towards the end, roughing up anyone in his way and eventually picking a fight with Sydor.
94 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 2, St. Louis Blues 7 – Dec 21, 2009 @ 7:00 PM – SNET – Game 36”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.