By , December 21, 2009 9:32 am
Easy logo, I just half assed it...

Easy logo, I just half assed it...

Right now would be a great time for the Oilers to make another run and get back into the mix as we currently are rocking the last spot in the conference, plus if the laffs get more points than the oilers I shall have to eat a whole lot of crow, and I don’t want that.

That said, I think we have played the Blues pretty well the last few years.

Racki-stats:

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Horcoff -Penner-Nilsson
Coglian-Gagner-Stone
Moreau-Potulny-Brule
Jacques-Stortini-O’Sullivan

Visnovsky-Smid
Souray-Gilbert
Grebeshkov-Staios

Doobie
Deslauriers

St. Louis Blues Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Kariya – Backes – Oshie

14.5 PP% 19.6
85.6 PK% 79
29.7 S/G 28.2
31 SA/G 32.6
49 FO% 46.7

GAME NOTES

- To come as news comes later

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

7:04 – STL – Perron from Berglund, Crombeen
Berglund carries the puck behind the net. Both Visnovsky and Smid bite and chase him from either side of the net, leaving Perron uncovered in the slot. Berglund passes it out front and Perron slides it under Doobie.
9:40 – EDM – Gagner from Cogliano
Cogliano steals the puck at the blue line. He looks a bit gassed, but still beats the blues defenseman somehow and gets a shot off that Mason couldn’t handle. Gagner easily puts it into the open net.

Other Highlights
- Visnovsky goes down and blocks a shot and goes off limping.. but he looks to be OK.
- On the PK, O’Sullivan gets into the Blues zone ahead of anyone and spots Stone streaking in. He fires a shot that deflects over the net.
- Stortini blocks a shot and looks hurt at first, but it’ll take a lot more than that to stop the Zack Attack!
- Stone makes a great play to create a turnover in the Blues zone, stealing the puck off a Blues’ stick. He falls down on the play and falls back, and shoots the puck off. Great attempt, but Mason makes the save.
- The 3 members of the former “Kid Line” (Gagner, Cogliano, Nilsson) are showing some good jump so far this period and showing signs of being the guys that carried the team on their backs a couple years ago.
- Stortini throws a nice big hit to finish a check on Polak.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

2:52 – STL – MacDonald from Tkachuk, Jackman
The Blues win the draw back to the point. Jackman carries it down below the line and throws it out front. Tkachuk tips it over to MacDonald who is skating into the slot and stuffs it under Dubnyk.
5:18 – EDM – Penner from Horcoff
Penner battles for possession behind the net and earns a goal as he fires from a bad angle and beats Mason through the five hole from the bottom of the faceoff circle.
13:29 – STL – PP – Boyes from Steen
Boyes throws it on net from the corner and Smid one times it in. Yes, I said Smid. Woops.
16:29 – STL – PP – Backes from Berglund, Kariya
Oshie drops it to the point. Kariya slaps it from the point, low. Berglund tips it and then Backes tips it again between Dubnyk’s pad and glove.
17:08 – STL – McClement from Kariya
McClement picks up the puck at the blue and manages to rush in almost untouched as Gilbert is forced to play the pass. McClement puts it upstairs.

Other Highlights
- Stortini hits Johnson behind the net, and Crombeen takes exception and drops the gloves. Stortini throws a half dozen punches but nothing connects and Crombeen pulls him down to the ice.
- Jacques and Steen have some words before the whistle. When the puck is dropped, Winchester jumps in and they drop the gloves. Great tilt as both throw heavy hands. Winchester scores the takedown. Pretty even fight, but I’ll give Winchester the marginal win here.
- Visnovsky gets hammerred by Oshie.
- Kevin Quinn points out at the 11 minute mark of the 2nd that the Oilers are outshooting the Blues 20 to 7.
- Well that changes very quickly as suddenly the Blues wake up… and also get some powerplay chances and pot a few goals.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

2:01 – STL – PP – MacDonald from Boyes, Steen
The blues work the perimeter and then go cross-seam to MacDonald who one-times it in.
16:01 – STL – Steen from Sydor, Winchester
Steen fires a wrister from the top of the dot that may have re-directed past Dubnyk.

Other Highlights
- The Oilers look pretty catatonic, this period. Perhaps because it’s pretty much over.
- O’Sullivan, Stortini and Jacques seeing powerplay time… you know our powerplay is horrible when…
- Dubnyk is a considerably better puckhandler than Deslauriers. Much better.
- Stortini still sacrificing the body, blocking shots while down 6-2.
- Oshie rocks Moreau with a nice hit. Moreau gets upset by the hit and chases down Oshie and gives him the business, earning a penalty.
- Moreau throws a hit on Sydor, completely ignoring the puck. They both drop the gloves. Moreau gets the better shots in.. not a lot of damage done, however.

POST-GAME RANT

Well, the Oilers played 30 minutes of great hockey. Then, for whatever reason, the switch went and we saw “last place” Oilers take over. The Blues got two powerplays in a few minutes, on which they scored. They then scored on another quick goal after. After that, the wheels just full off and the Oilers looked completely out of the game, save for a couple of players (the blue collar types). Moreau was definitely pissed towards the end, roughing up anyone in his way and eventually picking a fight with Sydor.

94 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 2, St. Louis Blues 7 – Dec 21, 2009 @ 7:00 PM – SNET – Game 36”

Prediction:
    Heart: 4-3 Oilers
    Brain: 4-3 Oilers

2. Hockey Noob says:

Hey guys,

I think that the Oilers could be a pretty good team next season. When Hemsky returns, that’s going to be a huge plus. Of course, Dustin Penner aka D-Train should be really good next season too.

Prior to this season, many weren’t sure if JDD could be an adequate backup goalie. I think that question’s been answered though he’s probably not ready to be a starter.

Further, we might get to see one or both of Eberle/Paajarvi-Svennson on the roster too. Kids like Brule, Gagner, Potulny, should be even better from all of the minutes that they’re getting this year too.

Despite the salary cap mess, I’m looking forward to next season. I hope that we can make a few moves to relieve the cap situation this season.

3. Trogdor says:

Well, so long as we don’t go up 2-0 I think we can win this one. Let’s let them score first and then blaze the comeback trail. Seems to work better.

Mason doesn’t have his impervious playoff beard so he is vulnerable.

Dubnyk with the start, and apparently Quinn was impressed with Strudwicks last game…

also (the above was from twitter too), according to twitter we are seeing all new lines

nilsson-horcoff-penner
    stone-gagner-cogliano
    moreau-potulny-brule
    o’sullivan-stortini-jfj

Yes to Doobie!

Racki: Yes to Doobie!And thanks for putting the effort in to modify the original post with the new lines steve-o.. mighty kind

hey no worries, always willing to help out

in other news ROW 6 BITCHES!!

Looking forward to seeing Dubnyk in his first NHL start! Nilsson back on the first line, O’Sully back on the 4th I see…

I’m in the midst of my annual “Holy shit, Christmas is this week!” panicky blitz so hopefully I will be home from shopping in time for puck drop.

Yah, kind of Horpensky-lite. I’m actually more excited to see Stone, Gagner and Cogliano. Odd how Brule got the shaft though.

hah, Yah actually I was thinking for a while now about buying the real jersey which you can get here:

Actually I probably should before they stop making it, hey? I’m sure I’ll be the only guy in the city of Edmonton with one of those. haha

It can be my Christmas present to myself. :P Maybe later though.

haha…that jersey is totally awesome, ORDER IT!!

I wanna get a blank Chiefs Jersey as well as a Ogilthorpe jersey.

Yah I thought about the Chiefs jersey too ;) And Ogilthorpe would be pretty bad ass!

DD is in. All bets are off!!

lol chucker.

I think the guy in the pipes is just a figurehead on this team. I think JDD is alright, but I’m not so sure he’s anything more than “good enough”. Although you’d have to figure coming in cold isn’t all that great idea. Especially considering his last game in the AHL he was lit up with 7 goals.

Wow. I don’t blame Doobie on that one (although shut the wickets please).. however, Perron ALL alone. Horrible defensive play.

YESS!!! Nice goal!

Decent period for the Oil. Brutal powerplay, however. But other than that, and the bad goal allowed (defence’s fault), good period.

18. Hockey Noob says:

Hey Racki,

Yeah, not a bad period altogether. The fourth line is looking about as bad as one would expect. O’Sullivan looks like Ovechkin next to Jacques and Stortini in terms of skill.

Cogliano’s come back to life playing with Gagner.

I’m not sure the top line has looked that great.

I agree that the power play was absolutely brutal, but St. Louis does have an excellent PK.

Hey Noob, yah, I agree on that bottom line. Lol @ O’Sullivan looking like Ovi compared to those two.

I don’t think our top line has been too bad though. Although that has been mostly due to Nilsson so far.

And duly noted on St Louis’ PK!

Damn I was watching an earlier play on the PVR when the Blues scored that one. Hey Doobie, go down! :P

Nice shot! Penner from a bad angle. :)

well, I guess that non-call of Staios shooting the puck over the glass for the D.O.G. penalty evens out the one against the Caps the other night that was tipped out. heh

20-7 shots for the Oilers.. and it’s 2-2. The shots never tell the story with this team. :P

Well at least Smid didn’t have to wait as long for his second goal of the season…………… DOH!

WHY??????????????? BTW DUBYNK=FAIL

Uhhh wow. 5-2.

HOLY SHIT THIS KID SUCKS. GET HIM OUT

Don’t blame Doobie, B.O.. I’m not even sure if any of the goals were his fault. Four of 5 were defensive meltdowns. Smid shot one in on him. Smid and Vis blew coverage on the first goal. One was a one on one goal. Another from point blank range. Another was a double tip. None were bad goals due to bad goaltending. Stop pointing fingers where you shouldn’t be. It “appears” to be his fault because of shots, but it’s not.

What the hell is going on? I come home, the tv is occupied, I flip on the Oilers homepage, it says Penner ties it up 2-2. Then I go to the boxscore to check the shot totals and the boxscore says 5-2. 3 quick goals against?

Brodeur is now the #1 shutout leader in the NHL now..

LNOF: 2 powerplay goals in a short time span, and then another quick goal right after.

Oilers playing like shit on a night where they can climb the standings. New coach, same result. So much for change Tambi you idiot

33. Hockey Noob says:

The sad thing is St. Louis looks like a brutal hockey team. I’m not sure how their league worst power play lit us up both games.

*sigh*

I wish we never had that winning streak.

35. Hockey Noob says:

On the second PP goal from St. Louis Horcoff was way out of the play and St. Louis had a lane about a mile open for the point shot.

The Oilers have dominated most of the game. The Blues just capitalized when it mattered. The Oilers are beating themselves, on a few occasions. It’s not that they’re “playing like shit”. They’ve just had some bad breakdowns and they need to stop giving teams these kinds of opportunities to get back in the game.

gr8one: *sigh*I wish we never had that winning streak.

LOL, we’d be sitting pretty in that Hall/Seguin race, eh? :P If those were losses, we’d be hanging with Carolina.

39. Hockey Noob says:

Oilers rally back with five unanswered goals in the third period? Oh wait, that was last game…

gr8one: *sigh*I wish we never had that winning streak.

lol yeah that might have been better.

Those powerplays were killer. The Oilers were up 9-2 in shots in the second, and after that momentum shift, suddenly the Blues turned it around and finished the period 11-10. 9 shots to our 1 in the last half of the period. Great half of a game until that.

42. Hockey Noob says:

Racki, I honestly thing that Souray took a really stupid penalty that lead to this collapse. Smid scored the go-ahead goal for St. Louis with Souray in the box. Then all hell broke loose.

Hockey Noob: Oilers rally back with five unanswered goals in the third period?Oh wait, that was last game…

I’ll buy you a Christmas gift if they do.

Wild lost tonight, Jackets are losing, Stars are losing. A win tonight would have been perfect……

Bostonoiler: Racki I think the hole they dug is too deep to come back tonight. The so called strength of this team was defense…..our defense sucks. The weakness was offense, we have a good offense. WTF? Why is it that the Oilers always fail to address their needs too?

Hockey Noob: Racki, I honestly thing that Souray took a really stupid penalty that lead to this collapse.Smid scored the go-ahead goal for St. Louis with Souray in the box.Then all hell broke loose.

that was just a stupid one to take by Souray. You are right though, it all wen down hill from there

Racki:
    I’m not sure when the defense was our strength.. if anything, the offense of our defensemen is our strength. Definitely not the defense of our defensemen though!I don’t think they’re in a hole they can’t dig themselves out of though. It seems that way, but they’ve dominated 30 of 40 minutes of the game so far. They just have to throw together another good 20.

3 goals is a lot. I guess we can hope.

btw Stars have lost

That was a pretty bad penalty to take, agreed.

Bostonoiler: