By , December 19, 2009 9:37 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Washington Capitals

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Washington Capitals

Here we go… the 2nd best team in the East vs. the 3rd worst team in the West (hurts to hear, doesn’t it?). Not what the Oilers needed on their recent home losing streak (of only 2 games, mind you). The Oilers are coming off a loss to the Kings on Tuesday and a 6-3 beating at the hands of the Predators on Thursday. The Capitals, meanwhile, lost to the Canucks last night, allowing the Devils to bump them out of the top spot in the NHL. The Capitals have only won 2 of their last 5, including a loss against the Laffs, so they are human. There is a remote possibility of an Oilers win tonight.

I’m going to have to guess that almost everyone is predicting a bad loss for the Oilers tonight. Our only hope is that the Canucks softened them up enough last night. However, sometimes teams come up biggest when all odds are against them. Last year the Oilers won 5-2, as the Oilers homepage tells me… on an Erik Cole hat trick. The game winner was scored by none other than Gilbert Brule.

I read a story by Don Cherry in his book “Don Cherry’s Hockey Stories and Stuff” – a very casually written archive of events from the days of yore when he was playing and coaching. He said that there were times as a Coach where he would sit his starter (Gary Cheevers) and put his back up (Gillie Gilbert) in, in games where he “knew” his team would lose. He actually didn’t get along with Gilbert at all (which might have accounted for him having no problems with destroying any ego Gilbert could have possibly had). Cherry’s son looked back in the records a few years ago and discovered that Gillie Gilbert actually set a record at one point of 17 straight wins (obviously with several other games between where Cheevers started), all the while with Cherry feeding him the hardest games, so that was pretty remarkable. Anyways, I doubt will see Dubnyk tonight. But wouldn’t it be a great story if Quinn played Doobie and he came in and stole the game?

Great story, yes. However, my brain is telling me that no matter who is in net, it will be 8-3 Capitals. The heart says 6-4 Oilers though, just based on last year’s win.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Gagner-Brule
Stone-Horcoff-Nilsson
Moreau/Strudwick-Cogliano-Potulny
Jacques-Stortini-O’Sullivan

Visnovsky-Smid
Souray-Gilbert
Grebeshkov-Staios

Deslauriers
Doobie

Washington Capitals Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Ovechkin – Backstrom – Knuble

23.6 PP% 19.8
78.4 PK% 78.3
31.9 S/G 28.2
29.8 SA/G 32.3
51.7 FO% 46.9

GAME NOTES

- Moreau wasn’t at practice yesterday. Skating as a forward was Jason Strudwick. Moreau has been sick lately, so it’s possible that he’ll miss tonights game and Strudwick will play in his place.
- I have a feeling the lines will be blended up again tonight like they were in the 3rd on Thursday.. so there is a good chance that what I’ve got posted (Thursday’s original lines) will change.

53 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 2, Washington Capitals 4 – Dec 19, 2009 @ 8:00 PM – CBC – Game 35”

1. Horpensky says:

That would be really nice to see Doobie do something like that. It would be just like JDD stealing some of the tougher games for us last year (Rangers game comes to mind).

2. Mr.Majestyk says:

My brother-in-law’s favourite player when he was a kid was Gilles Gilbert. I’m not old enough to remember the guy, but apparently he was quite an acrobatic type of goaltender.

3. Puritania says:

Hell, I say put Doobie in and see what he can do. It would be awesome if he stole the show.

I’m sure JDD will be in mind you. OV is my favorite player, I hope he scores 4 goals and the Oil score 5 to get the win :)

I really started paying attention to hockey around age 4 or 5. Gilbert was nearing the end of his career at that time, so I remember the name, but don’t know much about him at all.

Horcoff, Penner, Gilbert and Staios not at today’s practice (they’ve all been traded.. kidding). No lines run, according to Tencer. So who knows what they are tonight. I’m assuming no changes, despite the blender working overtime last game in the 3rd.

Yah I don’t see Doobie in net tonight either, Puritania.

I’ve also got an Ovie jersey in my closet. I’m conflicted.. do I wear the Ovi jersey the one time of the year I can… or the Oil jersey? Oil jersey, of course!

6. Mr.Majestyk says:

Wear the Ovi jersey when the Caps are playing the Flames.

7. Puritania says:

Mr. M’s got the plan!

give your OV jersey a hug before you put the Oil jersey on :D

8. Hockey Noob says:

Hey everyone,

Should be exciting watching Ovi play tonight. JDD’s save percentage could drop below .900 if this game gets ugly.

Canucks did a very good job containing Ovie last night, I think it was the 3rd before he was able to record a shot on goal. It’s going to be tough but if the Oilers can shut him down, without ignoring the other threats, have solid goaltending and keep sustained pressure on the forcheck, plus capitalize on their chances, then they’ll have a chance. In short, the Oilers need to play the best game of their season thus far.

I think I have a Gilles Gilbert hockey card somewhere too, from when he was with the North Stars. I don’t recall ever seeing him play though. According to wikipedia, Cherry used to send all the tougher shooters down to his end of the ice during practice too, which really doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, but being Cherry it doesn’t really surprise me.

I have a funny Don Cherry story as told by my father, apparently I was there but I don’t remember this happening. Anyway, Cherry was coaching the AHL Rochester Americans and they were in Halifax playing the Vees at the old Halifax Forum. So it would have been between ’71 & ’74. Now the Forum is a great place to experience a hockey game, it’s 81 years old and walking into it is like walking into a shrine, the walls have pictures of all the events by decade starting from the 1930′s onward, a lot of them hockey events. I love when my son plays there, it brings back a lot of memories and the building itself is one of Halifax’s true survival stories.

There’s no glass between the players benches and the stands, even today, and you really feel part of the game especially if you are sitting behind the benches. Anyway, I guess the Amerks were leading by a healthy margin and Cherry was chirping pretty good. My dad says something happened to delay the game, I’m assuming with the zamboni or something, and Cherry got up on the bench and started mouthing off about how even the Halifax ice crew didn’t know what they were doing or something to that effect, rubbing it in about how the Vees were losing. Then I guess this big guy who was sitting behind the bench finally couldn’t take it anymore and stood up and leaned right over top of Cherry, dad said he was well over 6 ft, and told Cherry in this big booming voice to Sit Down and Shut Up. Dad said he never saw a guy move as fast as Cherry did to get down off the bench and no one heard another word out of him the rest of the game. Man I wish I remembered that happening. I don’t mind Cherry but I would have loved to see the look on his face.

11. Mr.Majestyk says:

haha, funny story LNOF. Its kind of weird that I’ve never met Don Cherry in person. My brother-in-law, the big Bruins fan, actually had a chance to sit in Cherry’s truck with him and shoot the shit about hockey for 15 minutes while they waited for a ferry once. I guess Don is very much like he appears on TV. The man just loves hockey like nothing else and loves to talk about it all the time. I think it would just be so much fun to actually sit and have dinner with him because he’s probably got a ton of stories over the years. Like your very own Grapeline.

Let me say that this IS NOT a prediction(because my predictions always turn out bad), but I have a good feeling that we might take this game, the caps are an Eastern team winding down a 4 game road trip with travel that they are really not used to having, and this being their second game in as many nights, they are going to be tired, and hopefully come out sluggish, if we come out flying in the first, hopefully we can hold them off in the second and third.

that being said, they just lost to Vancouver so they will be pissy about that, and that might work against us.

Hoping for an Oilers win tonight, but I doubt it. This is a great game for the Oilers to have right now though, because if they wasnt to win they know that they have to put forth their best effort in awhile. I think they will beat the Blues next game, which makes tonight that much more importnant. Red Wings lsot earlier so a win toinght cuts the defecit to 5 points again. Huge game GO OILERS!!! Heart says 5-3 Oil (Brain I’d rather not say but 6-1 Caps) Goals by Penner, Gagner, Stone, Souray and Smid(EN)

14. Mr.Majestyk says:

One of the downsides of being where the Oilers are in the standings is that teams will never quit against us. If you go down 2 or 3 goals against a really good team, and you are on the tail end of a long road trip, chances are, guys are going to start shutting things down and thinking about the next game, or heading home. Against a team like ours, one that allows plenty of goals, coaches have easy motivation for the players. The fact that they are good and we aren’t means that it will be tough to have them quit. In summary, we are going to need a 60 minute effort tonight, or more. If we get out to 5-0 lead, the Caps are still going to come at us with all they got.

it’s slow as shit…

gr8one: hey Racki, is anyone else having issues with this site, or is it something on my end?it’s slow as shit…

i don’t seem to be having any problems

Sounds like it’s a ‘put your money where your mouth is’ challenge from Quinn to O’Sully tonight. At the expense of Nilsson too…not sure I agree with that given the way Nilsson’s been playing.

Can we exploit the rookie goalie with crappy numbers tonight please?

How they didn’t call goalie interference there I don’t know. JDD is on fire, wooo!

Bogus call on Penner, wow

haha, JDD is lookin’ like Hasek out there, I love it!!

this isn’t the Homer in me talking either, but that was a BRUTAL call on on Penner, and at least 3 non-calls on the Caps so far. as if they need any fucking help.

Force a t/o, attack with speed, beat the Caps at their own game!
    1-0 Horc following up on POS!

wow, JDD is standing on his head.

I’m loving JDD’s swagger right now!

LateNightOilFan: I’m loving JDD’s swagger right now!

Indeed, I was thinking the same thing.

Gotta love a gift goal! Take it and run Cogs!

For lack of a more intelligent comment – uh oh 2-1 courtesy of AO. Get back to what was working Oilers.

heh, yeah…we seem to have recovered nicely now, and finally we a get A PP!

holy fuck, what a shot by Ovechkin.

it sucks, but you can’t help but appreciate his skill.

Oh man, wow.

This game reminds me of when the Pens played against the Oilers a couple seasons when Crosby made his first appearance at Rexall. Oilers were up 2-0 after 2, then the Pens just exploded in the 3rd with 4 goals, Crosby & Malkin each getting 3 pts.

That went off Green’s stick – you’ve got to be kidding me!

wow, unbelievably brutal call.

Right on Smid!

And Staois!

What an awesome PK!

wow, it’s been a while since I’ve been this pissed off at officiating in game.

awesome PK, poetic fucking justice there…we better get the next PP.

Oh crap, Fleischman. Still lots of time, Oilers with a PP coming up as he ends up in the box right afterwards!

WTF!!!!

why the hell did that whistle blow????

B-R-U-T-A-L

Sigh…

wow, we just are getting out talented now.

thanks for watching the game with me LNOF, gn!

Just like the Pens game from a couple seasons ago – but different – and in a promising way.

I don’t care that they gave up the lead, and I don’t even care that they lost. I expected a loss but I did not expect to be treated to such a gutsy effort by the Oilers. That is what I will take from this game. This was a powerful team they faced. The Oilers left it all on the ice and I am very proud of them. I feel bad for JDD, as he just stood on his head and he absolutely gave his team a chance to win. I hope this does not damage his confidence as it was so nice to see him with that swagger in the 1st & 2nd. The Caps were just too much for them to handle in the end.

I’m not going to analyze it any further, the boys gave their all tonight and that’s all I ask from them.

gr8one: bah…Oilers played pretty well, some bad officiating, especially that 5on3 in the third, but we killed it and I really thought we could have taken the momentum after that for the win, but their stars picked it up and put their chances away when it mattered.thanks for watching the game with me LNOF, gn!

Agreed gr8one, pretty much sums up my feelings as well, have a good night!

Pretty cool Bruce Boudreau had a cameo in Slapshot!! Seems like a great guy, I might have to get his book now.

Steve-O and I went to the game tonight and sat amongst the sea of Ovechkin fans. I’ll admit, I have an Ovi jersey… that’s because I’m half Russian and liked him since seeing him in the World Junior Champs. However, I’m pretty sure that a lot of these fans jumped on board the AO-train and probably didn’t really even like hockey before. I don’t have much respect for the fans of teams like the Capitals and Ducks and other teams such as that. Because you know there is no way in hell these guys were fans of the team until recently. Yes, the Capitals did almost win a cup (well, if you consider getting pounded 4-0 in the final “almost”), but there’s no way anyone outside of Washington was cheering for that team.

Anyways, enough of that…

A decent 2 periods of hockey by the Oilers, although I’m not so sure they were really in it for those 2 periods, despite the score. JD stood on his head for two periods. He let in a weak one (bad angle) on Ovi’s double slap shot goal, but hey, it’s Ovi.

Also, Steve-O bore witness to more Staios mancrushery on my part. 3 shot blocks on one powerplay, and a tip? Sometimes he even surprises me.

Nilsson also had a pretty beauty set of dekes on one or two shifts, but I’m sure Quinn will hate it, since it was an individual effort. :P

Other than that, I’m not too sure what other positives there were. Was nice to see Horcoff score though.

Well, I watched the middle chunk of the first period, at work, which both teams seemed pretty darn sluggish. I was gonna save it (watching the game) until CBC put on their replay but when I got home my girlfriend told me that they lost, oh well (haha). I got bonus points when I told her it was just a game as I was biting my tongue..

Anyways, wish I could have went to this one, I would have liked to see the OV show in real life but maybe next time. I saw one of Nilsson`s sick dangles in the first and Cogs had a good attempt too. It sounds like JDD played good and I wonder if Doobie will start against the blues. Anyways have a good night everyone.

PS, It still amuses me that Storts centers.

44. Horpensky says:

Anyone remember this game from two years ago?

Penguins coming to town. OMG it’s Crosby! We gotta shut him down! Okay, so after 2 periods, we’re up 2-0, and Crosby had 0 points, we’re doing a good job shutting him down. 20 mins to go. Crosby gets 3 points in the 3rd period. We lose 4-2. FML.

LNOF mentioned that very game above, if you scroll up ;) You folks have good memories.

Well we played pretty good the 1st and 2nd period………The 3rd period was just horrible. We looked like the Oilers in that frame. Sloppy sloppy play. Maybe its time to shut it down and wait till next year…..Get a good pick this year and build. We have a young core right now at both positions. We could be a cup contender in 2-3 years if we do things the right way. We tank the year and get Taylor Hall. Ok now I’m about to play armchair GM here

Tambi makes a move at the deadline, shipping out Moreau to an eastern contender.

To Bos:
    Moreau

To EDM:
    Bruins 2nd round pick this season

Ok this gives us a 2nd round pick, and by the Oilers drafting the past few years it should turn out good

AT THE DRAFT: Tambi goes and takes Hall 1st overall. Giving the Oil another gifted forward that is young. Then he trades off O’Sullivan and Staios in a package deal for another defender

To MTL:
    O’Sullivan
    Staios

To EDM:
    O’Byrne
    3rd rounder

They have to let Pisani walk, Strudwick is gone too. I think sadly we will hang onto Khabibulin even though JDD is the way to go. DD is out due to contract issues and is sent off in a trade.

To Tampa:
    Dubynk

To EDM:
    4th rounder in lets say 2010 here

Ok, now assuming with the cap space we were able to get out here, that Gagner and Cogliano each get 4 year deals, while Brule gets 3, Stone and Potulny get 1, Grebs gets 1 and JDD gets 2

On July 1st: Tambi does the right thing and does nothing. We already moved the vets minus Horcs and signed our core up. I think a few guys will be signed to AHL contracts to help out on the farm

Next years lineup:

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky (These guys were good when together this season)
    Eberle-Brule-Hall (Just a great line skill wise, should put up pts)
    Coglano-Horcoff-Stone (Stone plays the body,cogs and horcs do it up)
    Stortini/JFJ-Potulny-Nilsson (Nilsson and Pots with the offense, Storts/JFJ with the body presence)

Souray-Gilbert (One ‘young’ guy one vet. Gilbert plays good with Souray)
    Smid-Vishnovsky (See above, oh and Smid is a great young dman)
    O’Byrne-Grebeskov (Two young guys here, love this pairing)
    Peckham

Khabibulin
    JDD
    (In net it WILL be a time share between these guys)

Ok, thats just my take on a rebuild. I think it would work out for this team in the long run and make us a cup contender. Blast me or praise me if you want. After tonight’s collapse I think that its time for Tambi to just rebuild the right way.

gr8one: wow, we just are getting out talented now.we played a good game, but their stars just took over. it hasn’t hurt that they are getting help from the officials either.I don’t get why Ovie gets 15 whacks at the puck in close to JDD but the whistle tweets the second it touches their goalie.

Why? Because OV is a star……In the NHL its all about the teams with Stars winning. Hence why our Oilers aren’t winning. Liker I said above good game until the 3rd, then just horse shit. OV’s 1st goal was bullshit, His 2nd was just unreal.

Check out the pic of Ovi on the home page of TSN.ca. In the crowd, at the bottom right by the 8 on Ovi’s jersey – dead ringer for Ales Hemsky (IMO anyway). Spooky, he’s quite happy for Ovi too…

LateNightOilFan: Check out the pic of Ovi on the home page of TSN.ca.In the crowd, at the bottom right by the 8 on Ovi’s jersey – dead ringer for Ales Hemsky (IMO anyway).Spooky, he’s quite happy for Ovi too…

That made me laugh and it would be great for a comic caption too. “Hemsky like’s what he sees.”

BO: Haha do you like making trades after every game? And you really would like to see Moreau out of here eh? If they do trade Moreau expect it to be around trade deadline if playoffs aren’t in the picture.

50. Horpensky says:

Ovie’s first goal was out of pure determination after Bruce Boudreau gave him a kick in the pants during the 2nd intermission. It’s really similar to a Stortini goal. The second goal was pure skill. Unfortunately for us, we got guys with determination but no skill, and we got guys with skill and no determination.

Btw whoever was in net for the Captials, I believe that was his first win.