By , December 17, 2009 9:51 am
And the new winner of most difficult logo is...

And the new winner of most difficult logo is...

Last night a few beers after work turned into an official shit-show, so my head hurts and I’m not feeling 100% so I’ll leave the rest up to Racki and his fancy-schmancy stats.

Oh and its a PPV which sucks.  Oilers win but Quinn still hates on O’Sullivan.

Racki-stats:

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Gagner-Brule
Stone-Horcoff-Nilsson
Moreau/Strudwick-Cogliano-Potulny
Jacques-Stortini-O’Sullivan

Visnovsky-Smid
Souray-Gilbert
Grebeshkov-Staios

Deslauriers
Doobie

Nashville Predators Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Sullivan-Arnott-Erat

16.3 PP% 19.1
77.2 PK% 78.6
30.9 S/G 28.3
29.7 SA/G 32.5
49.8 FO% 46.9

GAME NOTES

– Like Steve-O said, Quinn hates O’Sullivan (according to everyone on the internet anyways).
– Moreau is questionable for tonight (sick). If he doesn’t play, Strudwick will take his place on forward.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

3:05 – EDM – PP – Nilsson from Visnovsky, Deslauriers
Visnovsky passes to Nilsson at center ice and he skates into the zone at full speed through the defence. He skates in close and wrists one in past the blocker side.
5:01 – EDM – Visnovsky from Brule, Penner
The Oil break out of the zone and rush into the Preds zone. Penner carries it into the zone down the left side and throws a pass out front to Brule, who gets a shot off on Rinne. It bounces off a Predator to the slot where Visnovsky is pinching in, and he puts it away.
12:13 – NSH – Jones from Belak
Visnovsky loses a battle to Jones. Belak picks up the puck to the side of the net and puts it on net. The rebound is laying out front for Jones who just stuffs it in.
16:09 – NSH – Ward from Legwand, Suter
The top Predators rush into the zone. A shot on goal comes out to Ward in the slot. Deslauriers is out challenging too far, and Ward steps to the side and puts it in around him.
16:59 – Goc from Dumont, Hornqvist
Dumont brings the puck out from behind the net and fires it cross-crease over to Dumont who puts it upstairs behind Deslauriers from in tight.

Other Highlights
– The Predators switch goalies to Ellis after Visnovsky makes it 2-0.
– The Preds’ top line puts pressure on the Oilers, however Deslauriers makes some big saves to keep the puck out.
– Smid, battling like a titan in front of the net, taking no prisoners, pushing bodies out of the crease.
– The timeout and goalie change drastically swung the momentum. The Oilers were dominating early on, but in the last half of the period it turned out to be all Nashville.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

8:18 – NSH – Hornqvist from Arnott, Dumont
The Oilers make a brutal line change and get caught. Arnott skates in and gives and goes with Dumont. Arnott gets it back down low and fires it across the crease to Hornqvist who easily puts it into the open cage as Deslauriers is sprawling to make the save.
14:10 – EDM – PP – Nilsson from Horcoff, Souray
Wow, this was Hemsky-esque. Nilsson prevents a turnover in the neutral zone and chips the puck into the Preds zone. He hussles in and picks up the puck near the circle. He skates in and puts on a nice move to deke around Ellis and put it in the net, flying Bobby Orr style.
19:56 – NSH – PP – Hornqvist from Suter, Erat
Suter shoots it from the point as Hornqvist is skating through the front of the net, unimpeded. He tips the shot down past Deslaurier’s glove.

Other Highlights
– Boullion rips a blast from the point that gets through traffic and rings off the post.
– Penner has his stick slashed in half while on the powerplay. He screams at the ref, who was right there and doesn’t call it. He takes the number though and roughs the culprit up along the boards.
– Oilers get an 18 second 5 on 3. The Oilers lose the draw on this play, killing off almost the entire chance.
– Bad penalty call to Penner. This is what I call a make up call. As in, the ref made up that call because he’s pissed that Penner lipped him off for missing 2 calls against him earlier in the game. Penner was trying to get into the zone and gets interfered with and tries to push the player out of the way but gets called for holding. Could easily have been called interference the other way.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

19:17 – NSH – Smithson from Legwand, Ward
Legwand passes it off to a streaking Smithson who gets behind the defence and beats Deslauriers.

Other Highlights
– Grebeshkov fans on a breakout pass right in front of Deslauriers with a Predator breathing down his neck, but Deslauriers jumps on the loose puck right away.
– Good kill by the Oil on a Staios penalty, even getting a chance shorthanded and earning a faceoff in the Preds’ end.
– O’Sullivan carries the puck down the left boards into the Predators zone and circles across at the goal line and throws it out front. Brule gets a shot off, but Ellis makes the save.
– Grebeshkov throws a pass cross-seam on a platter to Nilsson who blasts a one-timer that Ellis handles well.
– Souray breaks another pane of glass with a slapshot. That’s at least 3 this year.
– The lines were juggled this period, Gagner dropped to the bottom line with Jacques, O’Sullivan moved up with Horcoff and Brule. Nilsson bumped up to play with Penner and Potulny. Stortini played with Moreau and Cogs briefly. I’ve lost track of the changes, however, from this point.
– O’Sullivan makes a perfect pass from the corner right across the crease to Potunly on the side of the net, but his one timer is shot just wide.
– Deslauriers stops Sullivan on a breakaway with just under 2 minutes left in the third.
– The Oilers catch a break with Deslauriers pulled as Smithson shoots it into the open net, but Legwand was a stride offside on the play.

POST-GAME SUMMARY

If Pat Quinn was “angry” last game, he’s going to be infuriated tonight. The Oilers played good hockey in one zone tonight. Great offensive performances by Robert Nilsson, Ryan Potulny and perhaps Patrick O’Sullivan at times were marred by some really sloppy play in the other end of the rink. Can’t wait to hear the interview…

97 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 3, Nashville Predators 6 – Dec 17, 2009@7:30PM – PPV (Boo) – Game 34”

Ouch…

20 minutes left, only down by 2… they’ve shown effort at one end of the rink, just need to show the effort at the other end of the rink and stop leaking goals. I am predicting a big period for the Oilers, and that’s not just the heart talking! Will it be enough though? I don’t know.

gr8one:
    really?MyPeeTwoPee has one that’s working just fine….

i checked it and there was a free yahoo feed, but not for my area and i don’t feel like fighting with proxy servers

Steve-O:

yeah, the yahoo didn’t work for me either, but there was another when I was looking.

gr8one:

aka lazy

I’m actually streaming the feed online right now, but in order to get the link to the feed you have to google up that Type-O Negative album cover you mentioned for us to google at work today..

most the links i send to you guys make up for the occasional “odd” one

Steve-O:
    the other one said i had to use ie and there are just some things i’m not willing to doaka lazy

haha, yeah…I hate IE too, but it serves it’s purpose at time.

Jesus Souray… take some steam off of it.. he breaks another pane of glass.

wow, is this feed ever delayed, that glass breakage just happened.

I’m watching the Nashville feed, and they’re saying Shea Weber broke the glass this morning in practice with a shot…maybe they need to look into a new glass supplier.

this has been a horrible game.

Weber’s shot is nearly on par with Sourays (if not on par), so who knows. But they probably could use some better glass :P

Strudwick needs to draw in for Grebs next game. for the sake of god.

15. neufab says:

O’Sullivan is a -3 so far, this will not help his cause :(

Oddly enough though, O’Sullivan did get a linemate upgrade in the 3rd.

17. neufab says:

C’mon Nilsson, complete the trick.

Speaking of browsers, have you all tried safari for windows?

my wife uses macs for her job, and turned me onto it, it’s actually kinda “chromafied”.

I just dl’ed it today so haven’t really used it so far, but it seems pretty awesome so far, not sure if I can give up chrome though.

geezus, O’Sully needs to find some anti-venom for all those snake bites he’s had.

WOW Thats it folks, 2 losses in a row by these guys and they now fall 7 points out of the playoffs. Honestly this was the worst game by the Oilers this season. Tank for Taylor? Not yet but we could be getting close. Good luck just staying in the game against Washington. O’Sullivan to waivers FTW!

JDD needs to sit out next game, horrid effort by him tonight too. Dubynk needs to get a start any way. looks like those 5 games went to their heads.

Gameover… 6-3.

Racki: I’m all about the Chrome…. no real need to switch. Lightweight, fast, easy to use.. why switch?

trudat.

25. neufab says:

Well that’s a disappointment.

Well we said this would be a test, and it was. The score reflected the positions in the standings so seems logical enough to me.

27. neufab says:

Quinn was mad after last game… likely not very thrilled tonight.

So guys, how did the game go? By the general comments looks like P.O.S. (Not piece of shit like I see every time I read that), still suffering from Cole’itis? Or however Racki cleverly put it?

Bostonoiler: O’Sullivan to waivers FTW!

Far be it for you to suggest anything extreme ;)

Not one of your better ideas at all. He did play alright tonight. Not bad, not great. Made some good plays out there at points. Wasn’t the worst Oiler on the ice.

At any rate, waiving him is a horrible idea. There are teams looking for offence (Boston, Montreal, and Philly I believe, to name a few), and a “project” guy like him might work. He’s done it before. Maybe just needs new scenery.

I would say too that maybe JDD needs a rest.

This is the kind of hockey I’ve come to expect from a PPV.

31. neufab says:

What the heck, I’m still picking the Oilers to win Saturday in my office pool. It’s only money right?

To early to trade off the vets? we are just a .500 team by the looks of it. That will get us no where in the west. I honestly think if we gave this season up, it would be a great thing for the organization in the future. Lets Strudwick, Grebeskov and Pisani walk in the off-season and have a total rebuild (i.e. Eberle gets a spot on the team next year)

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Eberle-Brule-Stone (need someone to open the ice up)
    Cogliano-Horcoff-Nilsson
    Stortini-Potulny-O’Sullivan

Vishnovsky(poor guy might never play a playoff game)-Smid
    Peckham-Souray
    Gilbert-Chorney

Racki:
    Far be it for you to suggest anything extreme

Its the Pronger curse. We need to end it HERE. Waive him!!!! :D

neufab: What the heck, I’m still picking the Oilers to win Saturday in my office pool.It’s only money right?

i’m going to it so they will win

and i would rather get some more actual nhl’ers to replace some of the bubble guys

and say what you will of O’Sullivan but he’s an actual NHL player

I like O’Sully and I think the Cole comparison is a way fairer comparison than the Lupul one.

While Lupul often looked lazy and lackadaisical, Cole, and IMO Sully look[ed] like the effort was/is always there.

i’m also going to stop predicting wins in gdt’s as they always tend to lose those, and just settle to predicting who scores

i predict nilsson gets two today

38. neufab says:

I still think O’Sullivan and Cogliano should be on a line with either Stortini or JFJ playing the right side. Put the 2 slumpers together, they got speed, they can shoot, maybe work themselves out of it. Penner line continues to be a threat, Horc and Nilsson look like they can be, and as happy as I’ve been with Potulny, his passes are behind players far too often. The bottom 2 lines have been a non-factor too often.

Racki: Pretty piss poor defensive effort. I didn’t think they were bad offensively though. Again, good at one end of the rink, scary at the other. Deslauriers was average at best. Made a couple of great saves, but let in some real softies and had positioning/rebound issues tonight.I would say too that maybe JDD needs a rest.This is the kind of hockey I’ve come to expect from a PPV.

Ah, thanks for the nutshell version Racki, I’ll watch highlights too. And I guess this is why it’s good to have a legit number one, even if he won’t play for a few months (we better get at least one full season out of Khabi), it’s still good to know we have one. Not too sure about Doobie being in net against the caps but I’m sure it’s coming close for JDD to sit a game. Fatigue and his performance tonight should be nice contributions to Doobies first start.

Hey, Toronto beat em’. ;)

Bostonoiler:Dump all the vets (Moreau, Staios, Strudwick, Pisani, Comrie) at this years deadline and gets picks and mid-range prospects.

I’d say hang on to Comrie. He’s a cheap option, and in games that he played in (healthy) he looked like a factor. He’s one of few guys out there that I’d say actually look like a real NHLer. I’d like to see him back next year.

Staios, well I’ve got a man crush on him, as Steve-O says. But his money could be better spent, so I wouldn’t be too upset, but they need a better option on D than what you suggest, sorry (unless we’re going for more losses).

As for O’Sully, I agree with Steve-O and Gr8one… his comparable is Cole. Cole busted his ass here like no one else, but just couldn’t score. O’Sullivan looks to be putting in max-effort most nights, but also can’t score.

I laughed at your suggestion to end the Pronger curse though.. pretty funny :P

neufab: I still think O’Sullivan and Cogliano should be on a line with either Stortini or JFJ playing the right side.Put the 2 slumpers together, they got speed, they can shoot, maybe work themselves out of it.Penner line continues to be a threat, Horc and Nilsson look like they can be, and as happy as I’ve been with Potulny, his passes are behind players far too often.The bottom 2 lines have been a non-factor too often.

I wouldn’t mind seeing that line (O’Sully, Cogliano, Stortini/JFJ). I can see what Quinn was going for with putting O’Sully with JFJ and Stortini though. It worked for other players.

42. neufab says:

neufab: I just think that if the Oilers traded O’Sullivan, next year this time people would be saying, why did they let that guy go? I think before Comrie went down O’Sullivan and Comrie exemplified Quinn’s theory of creating pairs and adding a tough guy to create space. Sully’s got game and a track record that speaks to it. It wasn’t that long ago that a lot of people wanted Penner traded in for a bag of pucks.

If he plays well and checks his attitude I’m okay with keeping him. I just wonder if the attitude isn’t a chronic problem. We’ve heard lots of stuff about the baggage he has and the attitude issues he displayed on a very poor Kings squad. Even if he does get better, I’d still trade him. He’s another Lupul.

44. neufab says:

I would still rather see Moreau go, as much as he’s meant to Edmonton. Oh well, I’m going to bed… get in my 6 hrs. of sleep and face an office full of flame’s fans… sigh :(

I still think the attitude thing is exaggerated. I tend not to put too much stock in that sort of thing. It’s definitely possible. But not something we can really guarantee is the issue, so I don’t like fueling rumors that are potentially untrue.

I think Neufab is right… I’d like to see him when Comrie is back. We did have good pairings back at the start of the season.

I wouldn’t be upset if O’Sully was traded… but only if we got someone of value in return.

Oh btw, here’s Nilsson’s highlight reel goal:

Nilsson earned (and I mean earned) the first star tonight.

47. Mr.Majestyk says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing us unload some of our veterans at the end of the season, but I’d rather see us getting players that would make an immediate impact on the success of the team moving forward. We should trade guys for just picks if we are destined to miss the playoffs, we should trade for useful parts that the team is lacking. I’d make those kinds of moves even if it means trading a bigger name.

Mr.Majecklund rumour: Souray to Buffalo for Drew Stafford and Henrik Tallinder. In return we get a veteran blueliner who is able to play a shutdown role and a forward that adds size up front and good offensize potential. Note: I’d rather keep Souray and move Grebs/Gilbert and one of our small forwards(POS/COGS/Nilsson)