By , December 17, 2009 9:51 am
And the new winner of most difficult logo is...

And the new winner of most difficult logo is...

Last night a few beers after work turned into an official shit-show, so my head hurts and I’m not feeling 100% so I’ll leave the rest up to Racki and his fancy-schmancy stats.

Oh and its a PPV which sucks.  Oilers win but Quinn still hates on O’Sullivan.

Racki-stats:

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Gagner-Brule
Stone-Horcoff-Nilsson
Moreau/Strudwick-Cogliano-Potulny
Jacques-Stortini-O’Sullivan

Visnovsky-Smid
Souray-Gilbert
Grebeshkov-Staios

Deslauriers
Doobie

Nashville Predators Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Sullivan-Arnott-Erat

16.3 PP% 19.1
77.2 PK% 78.6
30.9 S/G 28.3
29.7 SA/G 32.5
49.8 FO% 46.9

GAME NOTES

– Like Steve-O said, Quinn hates O’Sullivan (according to everyone on the internet anyways).
– Moreau is questionable for tonight (sick). If he doesn’t play, Strudwick will take his place on forward.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

3:05 – EDM – PP – Nilsson from Visnovsky, Deslauriers
Visnovsky passes to Nilsson at center ice and he skates into the zone at full speed through the defence. He skates in close and wrists one in past the blocker side.
5:01 – EDM – Visnovsky from Brule, Penner
The Oil break out of the zone and rush into the Preds zone. Penner carries it into the zone down the left side and throws a pass out front to Brule, who gets a shot off on Rinne. It bounces off a Predator to the slot where Visnovsky is pinching in, and he puts it away.
12:13 – NSH – Jones from Belak
Visnovsky loses a battle to Jones. Belak picks up the puck to the side of the net and puts it on net. The rebound is laying out front for Jones who just stuffs it in.
16:09 – NSH – Ward from Legwand, Suter
The top Predators rush into the zone. A shot on goal comes out to Ward in the slot. Deslauriers is out challenging too far, and Ward steps to the side and puts it in around him.
16:59 – Goc from Dumont, Hornqvist
Dumont brings the puck out from behind the net and fires it cross-crease over to Dumont who puts it upstairs behind Deslauriers from in tight.

Other Highlights
– The Predators switch goalies to Ellis after Visnovsky makes it 2-0.
– The Preds’ top line puts pressure on the Oilers, however Deslauriers makes some big saves to keep the puck out.
– Smid, battling like a titan in front of the net, taking no prisoners, pushing bodies out of the crease.
– The timeout and goalie change drastically swung the momentum. The Oilers were dominating early on, but in the last half of the period it turned out to be all Nashville.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

8:18 – NSH – Hornqvist from Arnott, Dumont
The Oilers make a brutal line change and get caught. Arnott skates in and gives and goes with Dumont. Arnott gets it back down low and fires it across the crease to Hornqvist who easily puts it into the open cage as Deslauriers is sprawling to make the save.
14:10 – EDM – PP – Nilsson from Horcoff, Souray
Wow, this was Hemsky-esque. Nilsson prevents a turnover in the neutral zone and chips the puck into the Preds zone. He hussles in and picks up the puck near the circle. He skates in and puts on a nice move to deke around Ellis and put it in the net, flying Bobby Orr style.
19:56 – NSH – PP – Hornqvist from Suter, Erat
Suter shoots it from the point as Hornqvist is skating through the front of the net, unimpeded. He tips the shot down past Deslaurier’s glove.

Other Highlights
– Boullion rips a blast from the point that gets through traffic and rings off the post.
– Penner has his stick slashed in half while on the powerplay. He screams at the ref, who was right there and doesn’t call it. He takes the number though and roughs the culprit up along the boards.
– Oilers get an 18 second 5 on 3. The Oilers lose the draw on this play, killing off almost the entire chance.
– Bad penalty call to Penner. This is what I call a make up call. As in, the ref made up that call because he’s pissed that Penner lipped him off for missing 2 calls against him earlier in the game. Penner was trying to get into the zone and gets interfered with and tries to push the player out of the way but gets called for holding. Could easily have been called interference the other way.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

19:17 – NSH – Smithson from Legwand, Ward
Legwand passes it off to a streaking Smithson who gets behind the defence and beats Deslauriers.

Other Highlights
– Grebeshkov fans on a breakout pass right in front of Deslauriers with a Predator breathing down his neck, but Deslauriers jumps on the loose puck right away.
– Good kill by the Oil on a Staios penalty, even getting a chance shorthanded and earning a faceoff in the Preds’ end.
– O’Sullivan carries the puck down the left boards into the Predators zone and circles across at the goal line and throws it out front. Brule gets a shot off, but Ellis makes the save.
– Grebeshkov throws a pass cross-seam on a platter to Nilsson who blasts a one-timer that Ellis handles well.
– Souray breaks another pane of glass with a slapshot. That’s at least 3 this year.
– The lines were juggled this period, Gagner dropped to the bottom line with Jacques, O’Sullivan moved up with Horcoff and Brule. Nilsson bumped up to play with Penner and Potulny. Stortini played with Moreau and Cogs briefly. I’ve lost track of the changes, however, from this point.
– O’Sullivan makes a perfect pass from the corner right across the crease to Potunly on the side of the net, but his one timer is shot just wide.
– Deslauriers stops Sullivan on a breakaway with just under 2 minutes left in the third.
– The Oilers catch a break with Deslauriers pulled as Smithson shoots it into the open net, but Legwand was a stride offside on the play.

POST-GAME SUMMARY

If Pat Quinn was “angry” last game, he’s going to be infuriated tonight. The Oilers played good hockey in one zone tonight. Great offensive performances by Robert Nilsson, Ryan Potulny and perhaps Patrick O’Sullivan at times were marred by some really sloppy play in the other end of the rink. Can’t wait to hear the interview…

97 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 3, Nashville Predators 6 – Dec 17, 2009@7:30PM – PPV (Boo) – Game 34”

1. neufab says:

I’m curious to see how this O’Sullivan thing will play out. Getting mad could end up being a good thing as long as the aggression is taken out on the ice. I admit to being a fan of Sully, but he has definitely left me with wanting more. In all fairness to him though, I’ve never seen a guy hit so many posts. I guess more was justifiably expected of him, but there are other guys who could be singled out as well… Horcoff, Cogliano, Moreau.

I suppose what makes the O’Sullivan thing different is his public display of displeasure, and yet, what kind of answer would you expect when he’s being drilled by the media. I’m glad we didn’t get some B.S. politically correct answer.

I still think that a little anger is common and the end result doesn’t have to be a negative one, rather, this could be something that ignites his play.

To be honest, this will test his vigor, and I don’t think it’s going to work to his advantage. I’d love to see him prove me wrong though, and I hope he’ll battle through it.

At 3 million, I hope he responds and uses his anger to improve his game. I’ll be honest though, I do not have any patience for attitude players on this team any more. We’re finally building something here and we have Pouliot and Comrie coming back. Two good attitude guys. I say we deal POS and move on. I know the return will likely be sub-par, but I don’t really care.

I like what we are slowly moving towards and we don’t need any flies in the ointment. Remember we have another great attitude guy in the minors named Reddox. I know POS has talent and can score goals, but at this point he’s another Lupul to me. Gagner, Nilsson, Brule and Pots all spent time on the fourth line after Quinn said they need to play better and they all responded. At some point we know we have to move somebody. I say we move the guy with the attitude.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Tonight’s game will be an indicator of whether this team is able to climb up or not. Nashville always plays us hard. Any floating will result in a loss. Hopefully a pissed of O’Sully gets some goals.

I just thought his comments were pretty funny. He doesn’t strike me as a player with an attitude, so I won’t think of him that way. But the interviews went something like this.

POS’ interview
    POS: “I don’t like being a 4th liner… it would be nice if they told me why that happened”

Quinn’s interview:
    Quinn: “Open your fucking ears, we’ve been yelling at you on the bench between shifts”

I like O’Sullivan and I don’t think he has an attitude. He even mentioned in his interview the crap he dealt with prior to this and how this is nothing.

He said all the right things, get mad, figure out what the coaches want, play hard and get it going. He earned that contract by playing well and still can.

The only thing I don’t get is why he said that the coaches weren’t giving him feedback, and Quinn contradicted saying that they’ve been giving him lots on the bench.

But ya, again, I doubt he’s got an attitude. If anything, he’s just Cole-itis. Good player, hard work most nights.. but can’t score for shit.

In the hopes of making everyone feel better, former Oiler Kotalik and Wade Redden are healthy, under-performing scratches for the Rangers tonight. That’s a cap hit of $9.5m. Rumours are swirling that if the Rangers lose tonight’s game vs the Isles (2nd of a B2B), Sather might be done.

I’ll be watching the Isles then Oilers tonight in good tests for each team. Thankfully the Oilers are back west again so that works out time-wise. Hoping for wins x 2!!

I don’t know.. seems odd to me that his career as GM hinges on 1 game, and somehow someone other than the owner / president (or anyone higher than Slats) knows about it.

But could happen.

And since I know some people are thinking it.. I hope the Oilers don’t try and sign him. Sorry, slats’ good years are well behind him.

This has been brewing for a while Racki, all those big contracts, but yeah it’s all rumour – wouldn’t surprise me if it does happen though. I was just watching OTR and they said the Rangers have $10m in cap space next year and only 14 players signed. Torts might be wearing thin as well – you should check out his post game from last night, he wore out the bleeper!

oh god…Slats is a brutal GM. no thank you.

I can’t believe he still has his job tbh.

well, Slats has always seemed to be able to make some good trades, but as far as new school GM’ing with cap-enomics and stuff he’s horrible.

he ball gagged and raped Gainey this off season by getting him to take on Gomez’s contract.

Hoping for a win tonight. Would be nice to see POS wake up.

LateNightOilFan: This has been brewing for a while Racki, all those big contracts, but yeah it’s all rumour – wouldn’t surprise me if it does happen though.I was just watching OTR and they said the Rangers have $10m in cap space next year and only 14 players signed.Torts might be wearing thin as well – you should check out his post game from last night, he wore out the bleeper!

Yah, I am not saying it shouldn’t happen.. really, I think it should happen (Sather getting canned). I just think it’s funny that someone would be privy to that kind of info. So I doubt it happens after this game. But at the same time, I would not be surprised, because yes, as you say, it’s a long time coming.

And as for Torts, yah I saw that.. it was friggen great. I was watching parts of the game on TSN (Anaheim/Vancouver I believe) and they were asking MacT about coaching tirades. :P

Bostonoiler: Hoping for a win tonight. Would be nice to see POS wake up.

The problem is, I don’t think he necessarily has any “waking up” to do. We’ve seen him play games better than others on the ice and still not score. I think he’s just a very streaky scorer.. like Stoll or Torres were here.

Fyi, for any Edmontonians who peruse this site… I think Norweigan Oiler said he would be at O’Byrne’s watching the game tonight. I can’t go tonight, and Saturday might be a wash. But hopefully he meets someone from here! He’s come a long way and I feel bad not being able to go out there yet.

Oh and to continue my ritual of predicting games:

Heart says: 5-3 Edmonton
    Brain says: “I’m too tired to make a prediction”.

2-0 Oil.. off to a great start here.

So I’m getting the Nashville feed and even they are talking about the POS vs Quinn publicly aired differences…

And Rangers beat the Isles, Sather is safe!

Geez that was like pinball…

LOL @ Sather being safe.

And yah, I don’t know how much of this PatvPat stuff is overblown or not.. but I think my interpretation from interviews would be that Quinn isn’t happy with what O’Sully is saying in interviews.

so its 630ched for me

weak

Oh man, I would say that’s a bad goal… should have been stopped.

I was making popcorn, missed that goal…

Crap – wow 5 goals so far, why do I have the feeling the Preds are going to control here on out? Hope I’m wrong, still lots of time but 3 straight = momentum away from the Oilers.

Racki: Jesus. What happened here? The Oilers were dominating play. They switch to Ellis, suddenly the Preds wake up.

Oh I didn’t realize they made a goalie change. That explains the momentum switch.

Nilsson shouldve shot there and Vis needs a longer stick.

I think the Oilers will come out with a big 2nd period. The Preds called a timeout after the 2nd goal and switched goalies, and they shifted momentum. Trotz apparently yelled at the players during the timeout. Hopefully Quinn does something similar during this intermission.

Wow what a fail of an 2nd half of the 1st…..Racki I hope you are right.

Interesting chat on the PPV about O’Sullivan between Principe, DeBrusk, Stauffer and Prendergast (who wasn’t asked about O’Sully). DeBrusk stood up for O’Sullivan, saying he has a good attitude (so fans, stop questioning it). Stauffer also said that he needs top six minutes to succeed, but noted that Penner was there last year, and mentioned how the fans once thought he sucked.

no pressure AT ALL

For all my knocks against the guy, Nilsson is making the powerplay tick.

Get JDD out of there now. Oh, and tell him to get rid of those orange pads, he sucks with them.

Oh wow, nice passing and patience there. Too bad it wasn’t the guys in blue & orange doing it.

That would be a goal against that I could see Quinn losing his lid on. Not good play by the Oil there. Standing around watching it unfold.

Ellis is now in net for the Preds, not sure why. Oilers need to pick it up, Quinn has to be bullshit.

B.O.: Ellis was in net after the 2nd goal for the Oilers, bud ;) Rinne was yanked at like 5:00 mins into the 1st.

5 on 3 coming. Only for 18s though.

I’m cheding it tonight and Rod said they jut put him in lmao

Nilsson!! What a night so far!

Wow, Robert Nilsson…. the magic man is in the building tonight (not disappearing though). What a goal.. wow..

Hey hey its Bobby Nilsson!

woooooo!!!

nice fucking goal bobby!!!

Nilsson is having a very good night.

Oilers starting to come alive. O’Sullivan has been killing plays tonight though.

hah!

Brule’s my Boy!

BRUTAL CALL.

Payback by the ref because Penner yelled at him earlier for being a dipshit and not making two calls. Easily could have been interference on the Preds d-man.

I’m sorry…..but are you fucking kidding me? That is a horrible call against Penner!

Anyone up for ANOTHER comeback?

Steve-O: uggg…just woke up from my nap, realized its ppv, and none of my sources are working right nowso its 630ched for meweak

really?

MyPeeTwoPee has one that’s working just fine….

down two after a total bullshit call on penner…..wow I hate these refs. Looks like another loss tonight guys.