By , December 10, 2009 9:54 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at St. Louis Blues

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at St. Louis Blues

The Oil head into St. Louis to take on the Blues in the final game of the 5-game road trip. So far the Oilers are 4-0 on this road trip. I don’t want to jinx anything, but there’s no way I’d expect them to finish this road trip undefeated. The Blues have won 3 of their last 4, including a win against the Wings, and shootout wins vs. the Sharks and the Kings.

This is a tough one for me to predict. As is my new tradition though, I’ll go with the heart/brain predictions again. So, the heart is predicting a 3-1 Oilers win. The brain is going to predict a rather boring, 2-0 win for the Blues. I have a tough time believing that the Oil can keep this streak alive. And quite frankly, even though I thought it has been a pretty soft road trip, a road trip is a road trip, and these guys are making it hard to want to tank for Taylor.

G’oil!

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Gagner-Brule
Jacques-Horcoff-O’Sullivan
Moreau-Potulny-Cogliano
Stone-Stortini-Nilsson

Visnovsky-Smid
Souray-Gilbert
Strudwick/Grebeshkov-Staios

Deslauriers
Doobie

St. Louis Blues Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Tkachuk-Berglund-Perron
Kariya-Backes-Oshie
Winchester-MacDonald-Boyes
Steen-McClement-Crombeen

Sydor-Johnson
Jackman-Polak
Colaiacovo-Weaver

Conklin
Mason

GAME NOTES

- Stay tuned for news on whether Grebeshkov will be in or not. I presume he will be a game time decision, but Tencer has him as probable.
- Update from Twitter… Quinn is saying Grebeshkov will likely play, because 2 players in the lineup are “questionable”. Those two are Gilbert and Souray.
- A win tonight would be the first time the Oilers have won 5 in a row on a single road trip. The last time they even won 5 in a row at all was back between Nov 13-24, in 2006.

TEAM COMPARISON

78.7 PK% 84.9
28 S/G 29.9
32.7 SA/G 31.2
46.2 FO% 49.4

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

11:14 – STL – Backes from Oshie
Staios roughs up Oshie behind the net on a 4-on-4, but Backes skates in and picks the puck and wraps it around into the net.

Other Highlights
- Brule blocks a shot that stings him a bit, he hobbles off to the bench.
- Stone throws a nice hit on Steen on the PK, pinching him off and creating a turnover.
- Winchester gives Souray a shot square in the back. Souray turns around and drops the gloves to go with him, but Stortini is in there to tie Winchester up.
- The Blues have controlled the majority of the period so far, at 15 minutes in. The Blues put a lonnng shift together where they play keep away from the Oilers for what seemed like 2 full minutes.
- Horcoff gets highsticked behind the net by Berglund, drawing blood and a 4-minute penalty.
- Gagner drops a pass back to Penner above the faceoff circle and he absolutely WIRES it off Conklin’s glove and off the post.
- Deslauriers’ leg gets caught on the post and he falls awkwardly. This causes a stoppage for a while, but he stays in.
- Brule ends up getting a shift later in the period, but he definitely missed a few, as did Jacques.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

7:55 – STL (PP) – Oshie from Kariya, Johnson
The Blues work it around the perimeter. Kariya serves one up on a platter for Oshie who blasts it past Deslauriers.
15:35 – STL – Backes from Tkachuk
The puck flips up high above Deslauriers in the crease. He falls backwards trying to reach for it. Winchester takes a high swat at it (missing), and the puck bounces in. Deslauriers takes Winchester’s legs out on the play and Winchester falls on top of Deslauriers.
19:49 – EDM – Brule from Penner
Penner works hard in the corner to get it out to Brule out front. He bangs away at a lose puck, with great effort and puts it past Conklin.

Other Highlights
- Backes gets a shorthanded breakaway, beating Gagner at the blueline. However Deslauriers comes up big with the save.
- Souray stands Steen up in the Oilers zone as Steen was skating in, sending Steen to the “frozen canvass”.
- Potulny doing some good shot blocking on the PK.
- Crombeen and Jacques go at it. This is a long fight, but aside from several “jersey shots” from Crombeen, there’s really not a lot of quality punches landed.
- Smid looks ready to start something on the next shift.. we’ll see if anything comes out of this.
- Nilsson gets flattened, skating through the neutral zone. This angers Smid, as well as Stortini… some words are exchanged on an offside, but cooler heads prevail, for now.
- Cogliano throws a big hit on Colaiacovo on a dump in and manages to get a shot on goal from the ice.
- Brule tries to go cross ice with a pass in his own zone with Steen on him, and Steen picks it off out of the air and gets a shot on goal, but Deslauriers bails Brule out.
- Souray comes really close to a goal, as he joins the play, he shoots it off the post from about 6 feet out on a rebound.
- Conklin makes a beauty save on O’Sullivan, who throws a quick, hard wrister on goal from the hash mark.
- Deslauriers waves at a shot from the circle that gets deflected, fluttering past him and ringing off the bar.
- Souray gets tossed. He was initially getting a penalty and chirps all the way to the box. If you can read lips, you see him say “fuck you” to McCreary. McCreary immediately signals misconduct and ejects him from the game.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

8:31 – EDM – Brule from Gagner, Penner
Penner works it down low to Gagner who goes behind the goal line and passes it to the slot to Brule who hammers it past Conklin with a nice, accurate shot.
11:19 – EDM – Gagner from Penner, Brule
Gagner pokes at a loose puck in the slot that is there courtesy of a pass from behind the net. It somehow sneaks past Conklin.
13:52 – EDM – Horcoff from Nilsson, Visnovsky
Visnovsky’s shot is blocked. Horcoff gets the rebound and is tied up in front but manages to pass it to the side to Nilsson who then feeds it back to Horcoff who puts it away in the slot.
17:03 – EDM – Penner, unassisted
Penner picks up a rebound from Deslauriers, skates down the ice and throws a backhand on Conklin that squeaks through the wickets.

Other Highlights
- Moreau gets shoved over and dumped on his butt by Berglund, while fighting for a puck.
- Nilsson and Stone come in on a two on one. Nilsson telegraphs pass, and does make a nice pass, but Stone can’t quite reach what would have likely been a tap in.
- On the next shift after the game tying goal, Gilbert throws one on net and the top line jams away hard at the puck but somehow it stays out. Gagner also gets a nice slap from near the blueline off that Conklin stops.
- On the shift after that, Horcoff, Stone and Nilsson show huge energy and get some great chances that leads to a goal.
- Visnovsky and Cogliano get a 2-on-1 with a Blues player skating back hard to catch up to the play. He just gets enough of Cogliano to prevent a quality shot as Conklin comes out and makes the save.

POST-GAME RANT

Wow, what a strange one. The Oilers were outplayed for the first, and what looked to be the 3rd, until close to the halfway mark when suddenly it clicked in, thanks to the top line. Penner, Brule and Gagner energized the rest of the team and carried the team on their shoulders tying things up with two goals in a span of about 3 minutes. Horcoff, Stone and Nilsson then showed great energy, battling to get the go-ahead goal. All this came after Souray was ejected in the second for lipping McCreary off.

This makes 5 straight road wins, which is a record for the Oilers. Who would have thought they would come out of this road trip near perfect (hey they did give up a couple of loser points).

Great resilience shown by the Oilers to battle back and score 5 straight goals. Next game, at home Tuesday against the Kings. It’s a 7:30 start on Sportsnet.

69 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 5, St. Louis Blues 3 – Dec 11, 2009 @ 6:00 PM – SNET – Game 32”

I’m impressed with this team on the road trip, but just to add a small dose of reality, they didn’t really face any tough teams on it. Still though, coming out 5-0 on a road trip is a pretty big feat, so I’m hoping that LNOF is right that this is the “TSN turning point” on the season.

And just so it doesn’t get lost, again, Penner is tied for 5th in points now, leading all LWers (although Ovechkin missed a lot of hockey).

Damn rights he’ll get a long look for Team Canada now.

Racki: Dustin Penner is now top 5 in points! Wowza.

I know eh?

amazing how a contract can go from bust to bargain in 30 games.

In spite of being 6-3-1 in their last 10 games before tonight, if one believes speculation, this loss giving up a 3-0 lead makes Andy Murray’s seat a bit hotter in STL.

4. neufab says:

That top line is making each other look good. I am glad to see Brule doing well, Gagner I’ve thought is the real deal, and Penner just keeps on rolling. What a great come back win. Not only did they fight back and take the lead, but they got the insurance goal to help crush the Blues hopes of winning the game. I’ll even give Horcoff credit on his goal for being strong on the puck while being checked before passing it to Nilsson who set up the goal.

Our first line is looking awesome right now, but they will inevitably cool off, but what makes me happy is when you look at our roster, it is easy to extrapolate more secondary scoring from our second and third lines when they do cool off, especially when Comrie comes back, and all this without Hemsky…

gr8one: I hate that being an Oiler fan nowadays makes me so suspicious of any sort of success, it’s like it just seems too good to be true and I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Ahhhhh so true.

7. neufab says:

gr8one: the more this season develops the more it’s starting to remind me of those Buffalo teams from a few years back that never had that one superstar scoring mega points, but had average to above average scoring throughout their whole roster, although those Buffalo teams were also a lot more defensively responsible, but hopefully that will come once our D is completely healthy.I hate that being an Oiler fan nowadays makes me so suspicious of any sort of success, it’s like it just seems too good to be true and I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

As for secondary scoring I believe O’Sullivan has the ability to get mad, take some authority, and break out with a hat-trick… if he gets it going.

There are times where this team reminds me of… to a less extent of the ’89-90 Oilers, and I think Team Canada… IF Penner makes it, would only elevate his game further. I want it to be the real thing… they show flashes of dominance… and when they begin to ‘do it’ more consistently, then only will they become a contender.

8. Horpensky says:

Tell me that was a dream. This team would have folded last season. Credit Quinn for drilling some character into these guys. Oh and the team got fired up after Souray got the boot. Good coach and good leaders = good team.

9. neufab says:

Horpensky: Tell me that was a dream.

I loved watching the Oilers back in the late ’80′s… they always won… lead the league in almost everything, both as a team and as players leading the league. I would like to see that again… ahhhhhh

I sure like seeing Penner as one of the top offensive players in the league among some “elite” company, also Visnovsky as one of the top defense-men in the NHL.

10. neufab says:

I guess what I’m saying is… if each of these Oilers… Cogliano, Nilsson, Potulny, Horcoff, O’Sullivan, Comrie, plus our red hot top line, and a healthy blue line, …could play to their potential, of which we’ve seen them do in the last few season, come together AS A TEAM; then this team could dominate.

It’s something we’re not used to at all, having guys in the top.. shit.. anything in the NHL. I’m not sure how long this will last for Penner, but I think this far into the season, I’m still pretty impressed. You’ve come a long way.

When the Oilers signed you, they thought it was the start point… last year, MacTavish thought it was the finish line… it turns out you were just warming up. :lol:

The skeptical fan in me has a tough time believing he can keep in the top 20, nevermind top 5. However, consider me impressed anyways. Couldn’t have happened to a better guy who’s been more kicked around here than the nuts in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o31pI1__oV0&feature=player_embedded#

neufab: I guess what I’m saying is… if each of these Oilers… Cogliano, Nilsson, Potulny, Horcoff, O’Sullivan, Comrie, plus our red hot top line, and a healthy blue line,…could play to their potential, of which we’ve seen them do in the last few season, come together AS A TEAM; then this team could dominate.

Yah a couple of those guys are along for the ride most nights, but it’s good to see this team getting some scoring from a few different people this year. I think the Moreau / Potulny / Cogliano line is the one that can stand from the most improvement though. Cogs has looked pretty good though lately. But I wouldn’t mind seeing Comrie kick someone off that line to see if he can improve things any.

13. Mr.Majestyk says:

Racki, everytime I see those Kicked in the Nuts videos it reminds me of the show “Ow My Balls” from Idiocracy. Did you see it?

As far as the lineup has been, I feel like all lines have been contributing, but its been coming and going as of late. Cogs and Moreau haven’t chipped in offensively but I don’t think they’ve been bad. It wasn’t too long ago that Potulny had the hot hand, I’m pretty sure he was still playing on that same line, but I could be wrong.

I’ve never even heard of the movie, but I looked it up and see it’s a Mike Judge movie.. love Mike Judge, so maybe I’ll have to check it out.

As for Moreau Potulny Cogliano, yeah I am pretty sure it was that line that was together when Potulny was doing well. And yah, they’re not doing bad. But they cooled off as quickly as they got hot. Now they aren’t contributing much at all on the scoresheet, however they are playing physical at least (oddly, I’d say especially Cogliano). In honesty, I’ve only really noticed Cogliano on that line.

when I think about it, NHL teams rarely have two “hot” lines at the same time, and I think there’s more to a line “getting cold” than just their play.

as one line gets hot, they are thrust into more situations that helps them excel, like extra PP time and just more overall ice time, which takes away from the other lines.

the thing I like so much about this years team is that if one line does “cool off” it actually is starting to like we actually have some horses that can pick up the slack.

gr8one, definitely agree with that.

Btw, 30 in 30 on TSN has the Gretzky trade, for those that missed it… good stuff.

Racki: The Gretzky trade show as great. They showed it on ESPN about two months ago. I loved it.

I’d like to see Cogliano and Moreau hit the score sheet soon. Hoping ot see Comrie get back after Christmas too, he will add more goals when he gets back.

Quick note….Oilers moved from 12th to 11th tonight thanks to a Jackets loss.

Yah I’m anxious to have Comrie back in the lineup again. I kind of wonder where he’d play. He can play pretty much anywhere though.