By , December 9, 2009 12:00 am
GDT Edmonton Oilers at Tampa Bay Lightning

GDT Edmonton Oilers at Tampa Bay Lightning

The Oilers are on game 4 now of a 5-game road trip, and so far things have gone almost as well as they possibly could, earning 6 of a possible 6 points. A win vs. Tampa will make it their longest streak of the season so far. Tampa are on a bit of a streak of their own, but are not so lucky. They have dropped 5 of their last 6 contests.

Still yet, the Oilers need to take these guys seriously, much like they did against the Panthers. Prediction time for me: Heart says – 5-2 Oilers. Brain says – 4-3 Oilers in SO. You have to wonder if the Oilers can keep the streak going… but I’m pretty sure they can.

Btw, if I’m home in time, I’ll try to put up the game stream here.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Gagner-Brule
Jacques-Horcoff-O’Sullivan
Moreau-Potulny-Cogliano
Nilsson-Stortini-Stone

Visnovsky-Smid
Souray-Gilbert
Strudwick-Staios

Deslauriers
Doobie

Tampa Bay Lightning Projected Line-Up (subject to change/taken from HFBoards)

Malone-Lecavalier-St. Louis
Szczechura-Stamkos-Downie
Wright-Halpern-Tanguay
Foster-Konopka-Veilleux

Meszaros-Ohlund
Hedman-Krajciek
Walker-Hale

Smith
Niittymaki

GAME NOTES

– Grebeshkov is back practicing with the team but is unlikely to play in Tampa. There is a good chance he’ll play on Friday against St. Louis, however.
– Khabibulin’s recovery process has been very slow. Tambellini guesstimates that he is “25% better”. They will re-evaluate things in a week or so, but don’t expect him back soon.
– Continuing the injury update trend, Ales Hemsky underwent successful shoulder surgery. He’ll be out a while, but should the Oilers make the playoffs, we may see Hesmky in another game yet, this season.
– Fernando Pisani skated on Monday. He’s not likely to be back until later in January.
– Marc Pouliot is about 10 days away and has been skating with the team for a few weeks, according to Jason Gregor of Team 1260. Gregor also believes he’ll get a conditioning stint in Springfield upon his return.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

1:08 – TBL – St. Louis from Lecavalier, Malone
Lecavalier and Souray come in on a two on one on Souray. Souray cheats to Lecavalier, who gets it to St. Louis who puts it past Deslauriers.
11:21 – EDM – Gilbert from Nilsson, Stortini
Stortini goes in hard on the forecheck and gets the puck behind the net and puts it around to Nilsson who catches Gilbert sneaking in from the point.

Other Highlights
– Potulny gets hammered onto his butt by Fedoruk in front of the Lightning net.
– Penner gets behind Meszaros on a 2-on-1 with Brule, but can’t quite get to the pass. However he draws a penalty on the play.
– Gagner cuts the powerplay very short by taking a holding call.
– Deslauriers makes a great save on St. Louis then Fedoruk on the rebound.
– Stortini and Konopka go at it. Not very many punches landed. One was a big uppercut from Stortini though. Neither could really get an arm free though.
– Penner stick handles in a phone booth in the Oil zone to get the rush going up ice. It winds up behind the Lightning net eventually where Gagner tries to bank it in off the back of Smith, but no such luck.
– Good set of saves by Deslauriers on the Stamkos line with under a half minute left in the period.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

6:31 – EDM – Penner from Gagner, Brule
Brule brings it into the zone and drops to Gagner who shoots it from the boards on a bad angle. Smith kicks the rebound out front to Penner who simply bangs it into the wide open net.
7:34 – TBL – Hedman from St. Louis
St. Louis winds up for the slap but finds Hedman streaking in from the point. He hits him with the slap pass and Hedman puts it up under the bar.
11:07 – EDM – Stortini from Stone
Stone nails foster on a dump in, Stortini steals the puck away and comes out front of the net and just throws it in… Gordie Howe hat trick.

Other Highlights
– Stone and Downie drop the gloves. Stone lands several good shots on Downie. Downie lands a couple of his own, but Stone definitely gets the win.
– Fedoruk throws a big hit on Visnovsky in the corner. Visnovsky looks a bit uneasy going in the corner the next play.
– Stone runs over Downie just after the whistle and a pile-on ensues. Stortini drops them with Konopka on the shift, but loses his balance. Credit to Konopka for not throwing punches with him on the ice.
– Brule gets a BAD call against him for goaltender interference as he was knocked into Smith from behind.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

No scoring.

Other Highlights
– O’Sullivan gets knocked down on his butt at the Lightning blue line but manages to stick handle around a player, and go behind his back to Horcoff to keep the play going.
– Potulny is robbed on a backhand shot by Smith, from in close.
– The whistle blows and Stortini comes flying in for a check on Downie and topples onto him. Stortini gets a penalty for roughing.
– On the PK, Penner carries the puck out of the zone, bowling past a d-man and in on Smith, but he runs out of room to do much.
– Deslauriers does a good job of shutting the door on Downie from in close.
– Jacques has his stick break, but does a good job pouncing on a pass and gloving it out of the zone.
– On an Oilers powerplay with Konopka in the box, the Lightning pressure the Oilers in their zone, with St. Louis bumping Nilsson off a puck and winning battles, killing some good time on the clock.
– Deslauriers makes a great save on a cross seam one timer from Downie with 20 seconds left.

POST-GAME RANT

Pretty decent game played by the Oilers. They had a tough time in their own zone, as always, but Jeff Deslauriers did a great job of keeping it close. Penner and Brule also had a very good game together. Penner in particular was showcasing his abilities. It’s hard not to think of him as having a shot at Team Canada now.

The Oilers are now 4 for 4 on this roadtrip (this is the longest win streak of the season now), which I doubt anyone would have guessed to happen, even as soft as this road trip has been. This game was probably the toughest one yet, as the Lightning’s top line looked pretty hard to handle.

Next up, St. Louis, on Friday, in St. Louis. Game time is 6:00 and the game will be televised on Sportsnet.

122 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 3, Tampa Bay Lightning 2 – Dec 9, 2009 @ 5:30 PM – CENTER ICE FREE PREVIEW – Game 31”

Win! I like how JDD is responding to being the #1 guy. Keep it up!

I love when Penner gets interviewed.

lololol…

“sorry for spitting on you Gene”

crap, i missed that interview.

I really enjoyed that feed to be honest, it being their first one ever there were a lot of kinks that need to be ironed out, but overall, I thought it was awesome.

same…i went straight to some lady curling right after

6. NorwegianOiler says:

Probably the worst game of the winning streak (that has a nice twist to it) so far, poor coverage, many incomplete passes and a strangely open back-and-forth game that I really did not expect after some quite tight defensive performances. I think Deslauriers is doing very well right now, must be doing his confidence a power of good too!

7. Mr.Majestyk says:

It wasn’t pretty, but on a long road trip, I’ll take it!

I thought they played well at one end of the rink.. but yah, as always.. weak in the defensive zone

People here are saying this was the worst game of the win streak so far. I disagree. we out played them and probably should have had 3 more goals (Penner, Gilbert, Brule all had great chances and missed) we out shot them, and had the better goalie. I think Florida was the wort of the trip to be honest. Lets hope these guys keep it up and go into STL and pick up another 2 points.

Dustin Penner… currently on pace for:

82GP – 45G, 40A, 85 pts. Wowza. Obviously that’s pretty lofty expectations that he’ll actually meet those numbers. But even him breaking the 30 barrier would be pretty impressive.

11. neufab94 says:

I like Penner interviews. His sense of humor is so dry and cuts through all the typical response stereotypes. I like watching him score… wish I would have picked him in my hockey pool instead of… scared to say…

Nice to win in regulation. That’s 4 in a row. :)

Bostonoiler: …. Penner with his 17th tonight, he just made it official that he will be the guy on the back of my white Oilers jersey that I’m asking for for Christmas, along with other Oilers things and a few Xbox games lmao

BO: In my opinion getting jerseys is a real sticky business. It’d consider it a risk even, as good as any player is playing this year (in this case Penner) next year could not be so hot. Then wearing the jersey kinda feels awkward. Although, Penner could be slowly shaping into, dare I say it, an elite forward? Maybe not elite but he is getting up there with stats and performances like he’s been putting up this year.

I consider these few concepts when I purchase a jersey:

a) The players stock. If they had a good season/few seasons or
    if they are retired. How was their overall preformance.
    b) The character of the player (I would never purchase a Sean Avery jersey). This usually plays a big part in the decision of the purchase of the jersey. So currently I’d love to buy a Lubo/Souray/Smid jersey.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, it really depends on the player and this determines what name you wear around. He doesn’t have to be a top scorer but I usually go for guys who have a good history (Weight, Smith etc). Otherwise, if I had a lot of money to go around then I’d buy quite a few different jerseys and my decision wouldn’t be so ‘tight’. That’s just my opinion though.

Hey Neufab, great to see you around here!

And I happened to have snagged him in our pool for this site. Well.. in a trade, actually. *thumbs up!*

Just go for the jersey of your favorite player.

I will never ever ever regret getting my Smith #21 jersey as he was/is my favorite player, and I still wear it to this day.

If you were me bostonoiler I would get either a #18, a #83 or even a #5 (he’s becoming more and more a favorite of mine)

here’s the link to the Penner post game interview where he spits on Gene Principe.

and here’s the link to the Kevin Smith dressing room tour that Kevin Lowe gives him, well worth watching IMHO.

I like how KS keeps asking KL questions but doesn’t let him answer, and that part where Renney is showing some of the software they use to break down game film, pretty advanced shit.

ok, nevermind about the part where KS is interrupting, I just watched the link and they have edited some parts out that were played last night. KL looked annoyed to be honest, not surprised they took that out.

I’m watching this video now on the link.. great stuff! Great tour.. I wish us regular peons could take that tour. It’s too bad they don’t allow fans to go through there for a price.

My favorite part was where he said “I didn’t want to tell you guys, but my office back home looks better than this (the Oil dressing room which is riddled with Oilers gear, of course) because it’s full of Oiler stuff. I looked at the doors (the entrance to the room with the giant copper Oil symbol on it) and I said ‘I need those doors!'”. Good stuff.

And Lowe didn’t strike me at all as annoyed in the video. But maybe that was clever editting..?

yeah, the version they have showing now has been cut down considerably compared to what they showed on the webcast.

the webcast one started out with the two of them prior to the tour and KS was asking KL a bunch of questions, and then when KL tried to answer KS would cut him off and not let him speak, and he seemed kinda annoyed, but only briefly.

another part that they cut out was KS had asked KL which current Oiler KL thought was most like himself when he played and KL’s answer was (paraphrased) “Souray, only I didn’t have the offense of Sheldon…or the big shot, and then after thinking about it a bit longer he said or Sheldon’s size and strength…then KL says, ok…maybe that was a poor comparison” it was pretty funny.

I thought for sure he would have said Smid…at least Smid is about the closest current Oiler I can think of to compare KL to.

hah, that’s kind of funny. You know, I think KS was just star-struck… which seems kind of funny, seeing as how big a star he is, himself. I didn’t see that part you’re talking about, but I’d bet he was cutting Lowe off, just out of nervousness, and not noticing he was doing it.

As for Lowe comparison, I’d say Staios, in their styles. Both are very gritty and will play through any pain and are great leaders. Obviously, Lowe is (was?) the better player, but I think their styles have some good similarities.

Racki,

yeah, I totally think it was out of nervousness, he was like a kid in a candy store.

and yeah, Staios would be a good comparison too, I thought of Smid for pretty much the same reasons you said about Staios, only when Smid peaks in his career his level will likely be closer to KL’s than Staios ever was.

remember that Stanley cup year that after it was all said and done it came out thyat KL had played with a broken foot for half the playoffs? that’s just crazy, how the hell do you skate with a broken foot?