By , December 7, 2009 9:28 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Florida Panthers

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Florida Panthers

So here we are now, the Oilers are on a TWO game winning streak. As unimpressive as it sounds, this is actually the first time in almost 20 games that they’ve been able to put such a streak together. Tonight, they face the Florida Panthers. Ales Hemsky always plays well against Eastern teams, so look for a good game from hi……. oh…… gawdamnit! Well, perhaps Brule can fill his shoes tonight. The Panthers, meanwhile, have only won 1 of their last 8 (and it was in a shootout).

Ok, time for my heart/brain predictions. I feel pretty good about this one, because I think the new Oilers play well against teams like this. My heart is saying 6-1 Oilers. My brain is saying 4-2. Post your predictions in the comment section.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Gagner-Brule
Jacques-Horcoff-O’Sullivan
Moreau-Potulny-Cogliano
Nilsson-Stortini-Stone

Visnovsky-Smid
Souray-Gilbert
Strudwick-Staios

Deslauriers
Doobie

Florida Panthers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Reinprecht-Weiss-Horton

20.7 PP% 15.4
77.8 PK% 76
27.8 S/G 28.3
32.6 SA/G 35.4
46.7 FO% 49.6

GAME NOTES

– Grebeshkov practiced with the team today and is said to be expected back before the end of the road trip, according to Gene Principe.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

No scoring.

Other Highlights
– The top line has some great chances on one shift that ends in a pass from Visnovksy to Gagner in the slot. Gagner tips the pass up but Vokoun snags it with the trapper.
– Weiss and Horton get a 2-on-1… Weiss shoots the puck and it ramps up Souray’s stick and rings off the post on JDD’s blocker side.
– Brule rocks Ballard on a hit that catches Ballard a bit vulnerable. It appears to rock Ballard pretty good (however he stays on the ice for the PP for Brule’s boarding call).
– Deslauriers makes some great saves on the first PK of the game, drawing comments that the goaltender has to be the best PKer from Quinn/DeBrusk.
– On the PP, O’Sullivan skates right into the high slot and wires a slap shot right off the top bar.
– JDD makes a couple of back-to-back key saves on Frolik.
– Jacques throws a big hit on Moore, sending him to the ice.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

3:29 – EDM – PP – Horcoff from Visnovsky, Nilsson
The Oilers work it around the perimeter. Visnovksy gets it down low and fires it into the crease area. Horcoff jams at it and it flips over Vokoun.
6:07 – FLA – Moore, unassisted
Moore is behind the goal line in the corner and throws it off the back of JDD’s skate and into the net.

Other Highlights
– On the Florida feed, Moore is mic’ed up and mentioned All their d is pretty slow, let’s take advantage” (credit to Norweigan Oiler for that info)
– Kevin Quinn points out that Visnovsky has 10 points in his last 10 games.
– McCabe throws a big elbow on Nilsson that drops him on his ass. This leads to an Oiler powerplay.
– Gagner has the puck on a string on the powerplay, faking a slap shot and spinning around a Florida defender to make a nice pass in the crease area.
– Allen carries the puck behind the net and doesn’t see JFJ coming around the other side… WAMMO… biggest hit of the game.
– On the same shift, Souray stands up Kreps at the blue line, sending him to the ice.
– For a few minutes after that shift, the Oilers throw the body with frequency.
– Gagner saves a potential goal preventing a one timer in the slot by lifting a stick, but he takes a penalty on the play.
– The Oilers get a short-handed 3 on 1 but O’Sullivan elects to pass the puck which is easily blocked by the defender.
– Nilsson dodges a check from Campbell at the end of the period. Campbell and Allen slam into each other and Campbell’s face hits hard on Allen’s shoulder. Campbell hits his head on the ice, face first and stays on the ice for a while. They bring out the stretcher, but he skates off on his own power.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

1:25 – FLA – PP – Moore from Kulikov, Dvorak
The Panthers bang the puck in front of the net. Deslauriers tries to hold the fort and keep it out, but Moore shoots a knuckler that bounces off Staios and past Deslauriers.
4:33 – EDM – Penner from Visnovsky, Smid
Penner works it down low behind the net and gets it around to Smid who passes it back to Visnovsky who is in the center of the ice on the line and wires it past Vokoun on the one-timer.

Other Highlights
– Nilsson does a great job winning a battle vs. Allen in the corner, keeping a play alive and getting the puck to the slot for Stortini.
– Jacques makes a beautiful save from the crease, sweeping a puck out that was about to roll into the net.
– Souray stands another Panther up at the blue line, this time it’s Olesz’ turn to feel the pain.
– Brule gets hit by Ballard while trying to leave the zone and goes end over end from a hip check. Brule drops the gloves, but Ballard skates away. Teammates only, pal! Put on a Panthers jersey and maybe he’ll fight you.
– The Oilers make a big kill on the Brule penalty, really not allowing any quality shots on goal by the Panthers.
– Moreau runs over Kulikov behind the Panthers’ net.
– JDD comes out to play a puck about 15 feet outside of the net and he almost gets caught on the play… yiiikes.

OVERTIME SUMMARY

No scoring.

Other Highlights
– Gagner and Penner get a 2 on 1 into the zone… Penner elects to shoot and Vokoun makes the save. He regains the rebound in the corner, then comes back out to the net and tries to jam it in, but Vokoun holds on to it.
– The Oilers get a powerplay on a weak call in which McCabe knocked Visnovsky down. But they can’t get it done on the 4-on-3.
– Potulny receives a cross-seam pass from Visnovsky and he gets off a helluva shot that is stopped by Vokoun.
– At the horn, Penner beats Vokoun to a puck behind the net and Vokoun is caught outside his crease. he gets it out front to Horcoff, but he’s on his back hand going down. He gets it back to the point for the slap, and Vokoun recovers just in time to save it. Frantic action!

SHOOTOUT SUMMARY

1 – FLA – Reinprecht – NO GOAL
Comes in shooting and fires it wide, glove side, just past the post.
1 – EDM – O’Sullivan – NO GOAL
O’Sullivan stops right in the slot and stickhandles, but Vokoun simply poke checks it.
2 – FLA -Weiss – NO GOAL
Comes in for the deke, but Deslauriers throws the stick out and pokes it wide.
2 – EDM – Nilsson – GOAL
Goes wide and fires it off the farside post and in.
3 – FLA – Olesz – GOAL
Olesz comes in for the deke, goes backhand… JDD goes for the splits and Olesz stuffs it up stairs on the backhand.
3 – EDM – Horcoff – GOAL
Comes in wide from the glove side… he brings it across his body and Vokoun goes down to commit. Horcoff slides it through the fivehole on his backhand.

POST-GAME RANT

Pretty good road game. The Oilers got caugh on their heels several times, however JDD kept them in it the whole way. He made a couple of scary plays with the puck, but aside from that he was a rock in net. Visnovsky had yet another good game. He currently leads all defensemen in goals and has 11 points in his last 10 games. Wow! And people are talking about trading him? I know he has value, but he’s one of few that can score consistently.

Anyways, so far the Oilers have 3 wins in 3 games on this road trip. Can’t complain about that. Next game, Wednesday vs. the Lightning. It’s a 5:30 start on the web… *groan*.

133 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 3, Florida Panthers 2 (SO) – Dec 7, 2009 @ 5:30 PM – SNET – Game 30”

Ouch… another Florida Panther hurt by his own teammate.

Racki: NO: lol, no, we don’t have a mic’d up Moore… but that’s pretty telling though. Although I doubt he’s faced Vis/Smid yet. And I wonder if we could get PPV games for cheaper through that site..

Racki: If they’re not a legit site, I’d be a little hesitant about the yearly subscription, but I’ll definitely consider the odd PPV!

yeah, for sure…

NorwegianOiler:
    Yes. And what a skill that would be……had it not been for the opponents out there.Coaching tip: Work on odd man rushes. I am never as scared as when opponents bear down on us on a 2 on 1, but when we have them…I just expect us to miss a pass or simply fan on it (or miss the net…:P)

The funny thing is… now I see the Oilers players shooting in the large majority of these cases. LARGE majority. It’s obviously intentional and been beaten down from coaching, I’m sure. O’Sullivan gets this opportunity, and the defenseman is obviously playing the pass.. and he tries it anyways. That’s confidence, as McGuire would say. No wait… McGuire would say: “That’s just confidence right there. O’Sullivan should have shot, but he just isn’t confident right now because he’s not scoring. If he were more confident, he would have shot. It’s all about Confidence Gord…… Confidence.”

4. NorwegianOiler says:

And the HD feed on a big screen works as good as if it was PPV ;)

gr8one: I’ll have to be vigilant then, as I arrive in Edmonton this Friday…

5. Jay says:

gr8one: yeah, for sure…I just was looking at that site some more too, and if you have a PC with WMC and an x-box you can stream it right through your x-box on the big screen.wow, I thought I loved N.O. before, now I’ll have to let him know that Racki will sex him if he ever visits Edmonton.

Uhhhh….. *worried look*

On the other topic though, awesome… I might just do that (stream through XBOX).

Noob: Allen

7. NorwegianOiler says:

Jay: Racki, who hit Campbell? I saw Nilsson dodge the hit, but missed which player hit his own teammate.

Bryan Allen

So ummm, just logging on now and this is the first thing I see – you guys need a few moments?

LateNightOilFan:

I think gr8one’s just trying to live out one of his weird fantasies

lololol

N

NorwegianOiler: And the HD feed on a big screen works as good as if it was PPV gr8one: I’ll have to be vigilant then, as I arrive in Edmonton this Friday…

Racki: I think gr8one’s just trying to live out one of his weird fantasies

A bit concerning for a guy who just got married…

Anyway…is the game as close as the score indicates? Honestly, it might sound strange because I’m in the east, but I hate when the Oil play in the east! I’m always running around in the evenings during the week, but I’m usually back home in time when the Oilers play in the west. When they’re out east I miss more games!

Turned on the tv in time to see Campbell get hit – amazed he got up. Hope he’s ok but it didn’t look good.

Man these Panthers have been having some tough luck with own-injuries lately.

14. NorwegianOiler says:

gr8one: Nreally? that’s cool, for how long and what are your plans? meeting any fellow Oiler fans?I hope it warms up a bit for you before you get there, although I’m sure it gets quite cold in your neck of the woods as well.

Yeah, hoping to link up with some fans – hopefully some of you here too! I’m in the middle of my exams now, but I’ll get out some info before I leave, most likely Thursday sometime.

I look forward to the cold, should be a good experience. Half vacation, half urban survival. And, I’ll be going into the Rockies to Jasper this weekend. Looking forward to it!

Only downside is that the trip will be during the game against the Blues, effectively ending my game-watching streak that’s lasted through 2 seasons…

N.O.

Just make sure all those cheapasses buy you lots of beer!

Damn delay of game penalties…

NICE Visnovsky!

All evened up! Visser!

gr8one: ffs, if the Oilers lose this game Ima go all BostonOiler and hate them for 5 minutes!Racki, is there a way to make it so that when you post a new message the page refresh brings you back to the end of the thread rather than the beginning of page 1?

Honestly it drives me nuts, and I have no idea why it does that.

21. NorwegianOiler says:

That little man is pure gold!

WOW did Jacques ever save one.

Oil on their heels again.

24. NorwegianOiler says:

Game’s opened up. Nilsson’s playing really well now too, making plays all over.

They do look a bit tired out there at times though, just waiting for that big mental lapse that kills us…old habits…

Racki:
    Honestly it drives me nuts, and I have no idea why it does that.

at least I’m not the only one.\

This game is a prime example of why the Oilers are so frustrating.

gr8one: yah it doesn’t always do it though, so if anyone figures out the pattern for that, let me know…

What set Brule off?

Ballard wants nothing of fighting the other team.. teammates only, Brule! Put on a Panthers jersey and maybe he’ll fight you (but keep your helmet on).

lol, Brule just got rookied in to that penalty.

30. NorwegianOiler says:

At least Brule did not go all Carcillo on his ass…

Yah, that Carcillo punch was just crazy. Uhm, be careful about poking bee hives is the lesson there, kids.

blegh, it looks like they’re playing for the tie.

OMG JDD…

off topic but, I just looked and saw that Philly is losing yet again, to a not very good team in Montreal, after a coaching change and getting pasted by Washington.

On paper they’re crazy talented, I wonder what gives there?

I thought for sure the coach change would straighten them up and they’d go on a tear, if they continue to slide, I wonder if they’ll start making player personnel moves…

Lazy pass, Strudwick.

Icing.. time out might have come in handy here..

Edit: ahh, good man, Quinn. Timeout called.

where in the hell is Souray tonight? I have hardly noticed him, or even heard his name be called.

Racki: Holy shit is JDD ever brutal outside his crease. Work on it in practice boys. lol

It’s like his hands disconnect with his brain when he tries to play the puck. He’s so indecisive. Khabi’s not a whole lot better either…

LateNightOilFan:
    It’s like his hands disconnect with his brain when he tries to play the puck.He’s so indecisive.Khabi’s not a whole lot better either…

Yah, we’re also used to Roli, who’s up there with the Turco’s as far as puck handling goalies goes.

If JDD ever tried to bat the puck, I’d turn the TV off. lol

Racki: gr8one: I guess you had your eyes closed when he laid out guys at the blueline? He’s stood up two guys at the blueline stopping them dead in their tracks, tonight. Nice hits. Offensively non-existent though.

or, more likely my shitty internet feed timed out…hehe

gr8one:
    or, more likely my shitty internet feed timed out…hehe

They were pretty nice hits, but outside of that, he really hasn’t been noticeable.

Well, Oilers already locked up a point.. this road trip has been great so far.

45. Haboiler says:

OSully is frustrating on the puck!

46. NorwegianOiler says:

Penner wakes up, finally. He’s been a bit sluggish so far, but nice work there.

Bit of a weak call, but I’ll take it…

48. Haboiler says:

Way to draw the penalty Vish!

excellent, 4 on 3!

gr8one: bah, this is starting to like that that season, was it 2 years ago? that they set that record for OT/Shootout games..

that was what got us into the playoffs during the cup run in 05/06