So here we are now, the Oilers are on a TWO game winning streak. As unimpressive as it sounds, this is actually the first time in almost 20 games that they’ve been able to put such a streak together. Tonight, they face the Florida Panthers. Ales Hemsky always plays well against Eastern teams, so look for a good game from hi……. oh…… gawdamnit! Well, perhaps Brule can fill his shoes tonight. The Panthers, meanwhile, have only won 1 of their last 8 (and it was in a shootout).
Ok, time for my heart/brain predictions. I feel pretty good about this one, because I think the new Oilers play well against teams like this. My heart is saying 6-1 Oilers. My brain is saying 4-2. Post your predictions in the comment section.
Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)
Florida Panthers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)
- Grebeshkov practiced with the team today and is said to be expected back before the end of the road trip, according to Gene Principe.
1ST PERIOD SUMMARY
- The top line has some great chances on one shift that ends in a pass from Visnovksy to Gagner in the slot. Gagner tips the pass up but Vokoun snags it with the trapper.
- Weiss and Horton get a 2-on-1… Weiss shoots the puck and it ramps up Souray’s stick and rings off the post on JDD’s blocker side.
- Brule rocks Ballard on a hit that catches Ballard a bit vulnerable. It appears to rock Ballard pretty good (however he stays on the ice for the PP for Brule’s boarding call).
- Deslauriers makes some great saves on the first PK of the game, drawing comments that the goaltender has to be the best PKer from Quinn/DeBrusk.
- On the PP, O’Sullivan skates right into the high slot and wires a slap shot right off the top bar.
- JDD makes a couple of back-to-back key saves on Frolik.
- Jacques throws a big hit on Moore, sending him to the ice.
2ND PERIOD SUMMARY
3:29 – EDM – PP – Horcoff from Visnovsky, Nilsson
The Oilers work it around the perimeter. Visnovksy gets it down low and fires it into the crease area. Horcoff jams at it and it flips over Vokoun.
6:07 – FLA – Moore, unassisted
Moore is behind the goal line in the corner and throws it off the back of JDD’s skate and into the net.
- On the Florida feed, Moore is mic’ed up and mentioned All their d is pretty slow, let’s take advantage” (credit to Norweigan Oiler for that info)
- Kevin Quinn points out that Visnovsky has 10 points in his last 10 games.
- McCabe throws a big elbow on Nilsson that drops him on his ass. This leads to an Oiler powerplay.
- Gagner has the puck on a string on the powerplay, faking a slap shot and spinning around a Florida defender to make a nice pass in the crease area.
- Allen carries the puck behind the net and doesn’t see JFJ coming around the other side… WAMMO… biggest hit of the game.
- On the same shift, Souray stands up Kreps at the blue line, sending him to the ice.
- For a few minutes after that shift, the Oilers throw the body with frequency.
- Gagner saves a potential goal preventing a one timer in the slot by lifting a stick, but he takes a penalty on the play.
- The Oilers get a short-handed 3 on 1 but O’Sullivan elects to pass the puck which is easily blocked by the defender.
- Nilsson dodges a check from Campbell at the end of the period. Campbell and Allen slam into each other and Campbell’s face hits hard on Allen’s shoulder. Campbell hits his head on the ice, face first and stays on the ice for a while. They bring out the stretcher, but he skates off on his own power.
3RD PERIOD SUMMARY
1:25 – FLA – PP – Moore from Kulikov, Dvorak
The Panthers bang the puck in front of the net. Deslauriers tries to hold the fort and keep it out, but Moore shoots a knuckler that bounces off Staios and past Deslauriers.
4:33 – EDM – Penner from Visnovsky, Smid
Penner works it down low behind the net and gets it around to Smid who passes it back to Visnovsky who is in the center of the ice on the line and wires it past Vokoun on the one-timer.
- Nilsson does a great job winning a battle vs. Allen in the corner, keeping a play alive and getting the puck to the slot for Stortini.
- Jacques makes a beautiful save from the crease, sweeping a puck out that was about to roll into the net.
- Souray stands another Panther up at the blue line, this time it’s Olesz’ turn to feel the pain.
- Brule gets hit by Ballard while trying to leave the zone and goes end over end from a hip check. Brule drops the gloves, but Ballard skates away. Teammates only, pal! Put on a Panthers jersey and maybe he’ll fight you.
- The Oilers make a big kill on the Brule penalty, really not allowing any quality shots on goal by the Panthers.
- Moreau runs over Kulikov behind the Panthers’ net.
- JDD comes out to play a puck about 15 feet outside of the net and he almost gets caught on the play… yiiikes.
- Gagner and Penner get a 2 on 1 into the zone… Penner elects to shoot and Vokoun makes the save. He regains the rebound in the corner, then comes back out to the net and tries to jam it in, but Vokoun holds on to it.
- The Oilers get a powerplay on a weak call in which McCabe knocked Visnovsky down. But they can’t get it done on the 4-on-3.
- Potulny receives a cross-seam pass from Visnovsky and he gets off a helluva shot that is stopped by Vokoun.
- At the horn, Penner beats Vokoun to a puck behind the net and Vokoun is caught outside his crease. he gets it out front to Horcoff, but he’s on his back hand going down. He gets it back to the point for the slap, and Vokoun recovers just in time to save it. Frantic action!
1 – FLA – Reinprecht – NO GOAL
Comes in shooting and fires it wide, glove side, just past the post.
1 – EDM – O’Sullivan – NO GOAL
O’Sullivan stops right in the slot and stickhandles, but Vokoun simply poke checks it.
2 – FLA -Weiss – NO GOAL
Comes in for the deke, but Deslauriers throws the stick out and pokes it wide.
2 – EDM – Nilsson – GOAL
Goes wide and fires it off the farside post and in.
3 – FLA – Olesz – GOAL
Olesz comes in for the deke, goes backhand… JDD goes for the splits and Olesz stuffs it up stairs on the backhand.
3 – EDM – Horcoff – GOAL
Comes in wide from the glove side… he brings it across his body and Vokoun goes down to commit. Horcoff slides it through the fivehole on his backhand.
Pretty good road game. The Oilers got caugh on their heels several times, however JDD kept them in it the whole way. He made a couple of scary plays with the puck, but aside from that he was a rock in net. Visnovsky had yet another good game. He currently leads all defensemen in goals and has 11 points in his last 10 games. Wow! And people are talking about trading him? I know he has value, but he’s one of few that can score consistently.
Anyways, so far the Oilers have 3 wins in 3 games on this road trip. Can’t complain about that. Next game, Wednesday vs. the Lightning. It’s a 5:30 start on the web… *groan*.