By , December 7, 2009 9:28 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Florida Panthers

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Florida Panthers

So here we are now, the Oilers are on a TWO game winning streak. As unimpressive as it sounds, this is actually the first time in almost 20 games that they’ve been able to put such a streak together. Tonight, they face the Florida Panthers. Ales Hemsky always plays well against Eastern teams, so look for a good game from hi……. oh…… gawdamnit! Well, perhaps Brule can fill his shoes tonight. The Panthers, meanwhile, have only won 1 of their last 8 (and it was in a shootout).

Ok, time for my heart/brain predictions. I feel pretty good about this one, because I think the new Oilers play well against teams like this. My heart is saying 6-1 Oilers. My brain is saying 4-2. Post your predictions in the comment section.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Gagner-Brule
Jacques-Horcoff-O’Sullivan
Moreau-Potulny-Cogliano
Nilsson-Stortini-Stone

Visnovsky-Smid
Souray-Gilbert
Strudwick-Staios

Deslauriers
Doobie

Florida Panthers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Reinprecht-Weiss-Horton

20.7 PP% 15.4
77.8 PK% 76
27.8 S/G 28.3
32.6 SA/G 35.4
46.7 FO% 49.6

GAME NOTES

– Grebeshkov practiced with the team today and is said to be expected back before the end of the road trip, according to Gene Principe.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

No scoring.

Other Highlights
– The top line has some great chances on one shift that ends in a pass from Visnovksy to Gagner in the slot. Gagner tips the pass up but Vokoun snags it with the trapper.
– Weiss and Horton get a 2-on-1… Weiss shoots the puck and it ramps up Souray’s stick and rings off the post on JDD’s blocker side.
– Brule rocks Ballard on a hit that catches Ballard a bit vulnerable. It appears to rock Ballard pretty good (however he stays on the ice for the PP for Brule’s boarding call).
– Deslauriers makes some great saves on the first PK of the game, drawing comments that the goaltender has to be the best PKer from Quinn/DeBrusk.
– On the PP, O’Sullivan skates right into the high slot and wires a slap shot right off the top bar.
– JDD makes a couple of back-to-back key saves on Frolik.
– Jacques throws a big hit on Moore, sending him to the ice.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

3:29 – EDM – PP – Horcoff from Visnovsky, Nilsson
The Oilers work it around the perimeter. Visnovksy gets it down low and fires it into the crease area. Horcoff jams at it and it flips over Vokoun.
6:07 – FLA – Moore, unassisted
Moore is behind the goal line in the corner and throws it off the back of JDD’s skate and into the net.

Other Highlights
– On the Florida feed, Moore is mic’ed up and mentioned All their d is pretty slow, let’s take advantage” (credit to Norweigan Oiler for that info)
– Kevin Quinn points out that Visnovsky has 10 points in his last 10 games.
– McCabe throws a big elbow on Nilsson that drops him on his ass. This leads to an Oiler powerplay.
– Gagner has the puck on a string on the powerplay, faking a slap shot and spinning around a Florida defender to make a nice pass in the crease area.
– Allen carries the puck behind the net and doesn’t see JFJ coming around the other side… WAMMO… biggest hit of the game.
– On the same shift, Souray stands up Kreps at the blue line, sending him to the ice.
– For a few minutes after that shift, the Oilers throw the body with frequency.
– Gagner saves a potential goal preventing a one timer in the slot by lifting a stick, but he takes a penalty on the play.
– The Oilers get a short-handed 3 on 1 but O’Sullivan elects to pass the puck which is easily blocked by the defender.
– Nilsson dodges a check from Campbell at the end of the period. Campbell and Allen slam into each other and Campbell’s face hits hard on Allen’s shoulder. Campbell hits his head on the ice, face first and stays on the ice for a while. They bring out the stretcher, but he skates off on his own power.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

1:25 – FLA – PP – Moore from Kulikov, Dvorak
The Panthers bang the puck in front of the net. Deslauriers tries to hold the fort and keep it out, but Moore shoots a knuckler that bounces off Staios and past Deslauriers.
4:33 – EDM – Penner from Visnovsky, Smid
Penner works it down low behind the net and gets it around to Smid who passes it back to Visnovsky who is in the center of the ice on the line and wires it past Vokoun on the one-timer.

Other Highlights
– Nilsson does a great job winning a battle vs. Allen in the corner, keeping a play alive and getting the puck to the slot for Stortini.
– Jacques makes a beautiful save from the crease, sweeping a puck out that was about to roll into the net.
– Souray stands another Panther up at the blue line, this time it’s Olesz’ turn to feel the pain.
– Brule gets hit by Ballard while trying to leave the zone and goes end over end from a hip check. Brule drops the gloves, but Ballard skates away. Teammates only, pal! Put on a Panthers jersey and maybe he’ll fight you.
– The Oilers make a big kill on the Brule penalty, really not allowing any quality shots on goal by the Panthers.
– Moreau runs over Kulikov behind the Panthers’ net.
– JDD comes out to play a puck about 15 feet outside of the net and he almost gets caught on the play… yiiikes.

OVERTIME SUMMARY

No scoring.

Other Highlights
– Gagner and Penner get a 2 on 1 into the zone… Penner elects to shoot and Vokoun makes the save. He regains the rebound in the corner, then comes back out to the net and tries to jam it in, but Vokoun holds on to it.
– The Oilers get a powerplay on a weak call in which McCabe knocked Visnovsky down. But they can’t get it done on the 4-on-3.
– Potulny receives a cross-seam pass from Visnovsky and he gets off a helluva shot that is stopped by Vokoun.
– At the horn, Penner beats Vokoun to a puck behind the net and Vokoun is caught outside his crease. he gets it out front to Horcoff, but he’s on his back hand going down. He gets it back to the point for the slap, and Vokoun recovers just in time to save it. Frantic action!

SHOOTOUT SUMMARY

1 – FLA – Reinprecht – NO GOAL
Comes in shooting and fires it wide, glove side, just past the post.
1 – EDM – O’Sullivan – NO GOAL
O’Sullivan stops right in the slot and stickhandles, but Vokoun simply poke checks it.
2 – FLA -Weiss – NO GOAL
Comes in for the deke, but Deslauriers throws the stick out and pokes it wide.
2 – EDM – Nilsson – GOAL
Goes wide and fires it off the farside post and in.
3 – FLA – Olesz – GOAL
Olesz comes in for the deke, goes backhand… JDD goes for the splits and Olesz stuffs it up stairs on the backhand.
3 – EDM – Horcoff – GOAL
Comes in wide from the glove side… he brings it across his body and Vokoun goes down to commit. Horcoff slides it through the fivehole on his backhand.

POST-GAME RANT

Pretty good road game. The Oilers got caugh on their heels several times, however JDD kept them in it the whole way. He made a couple of scary plays with the puck, but aside from that he was a rock in net. Visnovsky had yet another good game. He currently leads all defensemen in goals and has 11 points in his last 10 games. Wow! And people are talking about trading him? I know he has value, but he’s one of few that can score consistently.

Anyways, so far the Oilers have 3 wins in 3 games on this road trip. Can’t complain about that. Next game, Wednesday vs. the Lightning. It’s a 5:30 start on the web… *groan*.

133 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 3, Florida Panthers 2 (SO) – Dec 7, 2009 @ 5:30 PM – SNET – Game 30”

1. mrgod2u says:

I say 5-3 Oilers (empty-netter) Weiss will get one goal for the Panthers, and some no-name 3rd liner will get one too.

Oilers will get a goal from Penner, Visnovsky, Brule, Gagner.

This will be an indication if there are signs of hope for the Oil. Florida should be a win, but they seem to give us good games the last few years (not good for us).

The bottom line is the season is far enough along that .500 or worse will not be an acceptable course in making the playoffs.

Teams like Florida are pretty much already must wins for us from here on out.

This one *should* be a free spot on the bingo card. As long as the Oilers don’t treat it as that, I think they’ll have a big win.

the hockey gods punish hubris gentlemen (and ladies?), and really the last thing we need is a team on a losing streak

Hmmmmm. No MacI in the lineup. Thank God. We have no answer for him. I don’t think I could take another humiliation of any kind from player movement if he was to beat down one of our guys.

7. DropIt says:

4 point swing for Taylor Hall :P

.Seriously, The Oilers have put themselves in the pposition that these games are a MUST win, even in December. Florida always looks easy, but they play a lot like the West teams, so they usually play pretty tough in the West.

Florida-3
    Coilers-4

8. NorwegianOiler says:

DropIt: Moo moo, moo, mooo moo mooo! (That’s “It’s Not Coilers, it’s Edmonton ‘Bettah Recogniiize’ Oilers”)

I dread the Panthers, mostly because I fear the Oilers will take lightly on the task, but also because they’re good at keeping games close – which means that just a little mistake can tip the scale. And we’re not yet the safest team around, though they’ve improved lately.
    Go Oilers ;)

Yah, I am hoping that with the way this team has been playing (poorly up until recently), they will go into this game with something to prove. The Panthers shouldn’t be taken lightly, and I don’t expect that the Oilers will take them lightly. So I’m still expecting a win here.

10. Haboiler says:

My heart says 4-3 for the Oilers and my head says 3-1 for Florida. 3 in a row on the road for the first time in late 06 would be nice to see. Big Mac is back on the farm in Rochester, but I’m sure Storts is pretty happy about that. 4 out of 6 points this week would be huge but at the same time will cause more see saw emotions for all of us over which direction this team should proceed.
    BTW – is Garrioch the Canadian version of Twatwaffle? He sure is all over the place lately.

11. NorwegianOiler says:

If I write Twatwaffle, will it be replaced by “E-klund”? :P

Edit: Apparently not. Fun concept.

3 game road win streak. Just seems to good to be true!

I think if I set up a filter to replace E-klund with Twatwaffle and Twatwaffle with E-klund, it will create an infinite loop and destroy the universe.

13. Haboiler says:

Change has been made in my post boys lol.

Haboiler: 4 out of 6 points this week would be huge but at the same time will cause more see saw emotions for all of us over which direction this team should proceed.

I will fully admit that I completely fit into the bipOiler fan category. I’m trying not to be the type that thinks one day we can make it and the next we need to blow the team up. But I’ve come to the conclusion that this team is just average, at best. As such, it makes it a crap shoot each year as to whether we make the playoffs.

So, I would like to see a decision made by Tambellini as to how to proceed. In hindsight, they do have some time to figure it out… especially if they are winning. But if they fall too far behind, they’ll dig themselves into a hole they can’t get out of no matter what. This is generally the same thing we’ve seen since before the 05/06 cup run, even. That year was also a nail biter, leading into the playoffs. A last minute goaltending acquisition was the last thing I wanted to see, but that’s what they did. And frankly, they lucked out in that it worked.

I don’t want to see them waiting until the last minute again. They’ve got to figure things out there soon. Maybe not this month, but I don’t think they should wait all the way until trade deadline, because even being just 6 points out can make it very difficult to make the cut.

15. Haboiler says:

I agree Racki. I think it will be right after Christmas where we will see some tinkering, whether it be minor or major. I would like to see some of the lingering contracts moved if at all possible even for a few late round picks to provide us some more flexibility going forward. Teams like a Detroit, San Jose and even a Chicago (if they make some moves) might be looking for some of the 2-2.5 million veteran contracts for the last half of the year. Staios and Moreau I believer are people that teams would like to have for that 3rd pair D and 4th line guy for a push in the playoffs.

Moreau and Staios can definitely help teams out. Especially Staios, despite the ripping he gets by some fans here. But with them each having an extra year left on the contract, I’m not so sure who’d want them just yet.

17. Haboiler says:

The only way I think it happens is if the teams feel they will be able to trade them off next year. One team I just thoguht about would the NYI if they are on the edge. A couple of vets for a team with lots of cap space that might be able to suck it up next year.

I can’t wait for a year where we aren’t having these types of conversations.

Yah, the Islanders have been given the go ahead to spend some cash too, so that’s a logical suggestion that they could pick up one of our bigger contracts.

19. Jay says:

Racki, I don’t think anyone will take Moreau or Staios… If they do, I’ll buy you a case of your favorite beer–and not regret it, lol.

Racki: Well, it also takes two to make the deal, and contrary to popular belief, I don’t think Tambi is shopping either guy anyway.Edit: Actually, I’m pretty sure Tambi just sits up in his office watching Happy Days re-runs.

hahaha, that gave me a mental image of Tambi standing at a mirror in his office with a popped collar on his leather jacket, shades and his thumbs up going “aaaaay”.

Jump a fucking shark Tambi!

Good news about Grebeshkov, for those that missed it… Grebs practiced today and should be back before the end of this road trip.

Racki: I wonder if Trogdor managed to get tickets (or permission from the wife, for that matter) to this game or the TB game.

why, is he visiting the south?

-30C here.

Racki: Yup, he’s in Florida on some rockin’ boat trip. Lucky bastard. Leaves just as it hits nearly -30C here.

haha, yeah…I was just bugging some friends of mine on Facebook about the weather up there saying how cold horribly cold it was here getting all the way down to +15°C.

27. NorwegianOiler says:

Oilers are more comfortable with the puck (especially in the neutral zone play) than I’ve seen in a long long time. Connecting pretty well with their passes. Tight game though.

The power play still lacks proper movement and initiative…

They also look a little too comfortable for my liking in the defensive zone.. but JDD is holding the fort quite well back there.

I don’t know how I quoted myself there, but it was not intentional, and it won’t let me edit it telling me it’s been “marked as spam”

gr8one: where are you at, again? And do they have any openings for computer programmers? :lol:

N.O.

How do you watch Oiler games over there? Do you have some sort of kick-ass Scandinavian NHL satellite feed, or just do what I do and poach them of the internet?

Racki: gr8one: where are you at, again? And do they have any openings for computer programmers?

haha, I live in coastal North Carolina…and not so many programming jobs here, but Raleigh certainly does, and you could still catch an Oiler game once a year or so when they come play the ‘Canes!

33. NorwegianOiler says:

Well, even though there have been some poor decisions, we’re quite a lot better in our passing game than I can recall from the later MacTavish period – where we were pinned in our zone at all times because our breakouts were horrendously timed.

I expected to be outshot by the Panthers, they’re as primitive as we are – but I’m not worried about shots alone. What’s concerning is that we’re giving them a bit too much room in the slot. JDD has been good so far, luckily.

Yah they definitely need to tighten up in the defensive zone. I think they’re playing a bit relaxed with JDD back there.

N.O

NorwegianOiler: http://www.hockeystreams.comIt costs, but not much, and is infinitely better than the alternatives out there. I can watch all games, games are archived immediately upon the final whistle. I used to poach a few years ago, but got tired of the poor quality and unreliable feeds.

wow, I had no idea that existed.

that’s awesome, I think I’ll be signing up for that!

36. NorwegianOiler says:

Don’t know if you have the same feed as me, but Dominic Moore, mic’ed up, goes to the bench commenting: “All their d is pretty slow, let’s take advantage” :P

Nothing like playing Struds and Staios all game…

37. NorwegianOiler says:

(It’s a good site, well worth the money. Make sure you get the HD account though, it rocks the “HQ” account)

NO: lol, no, we don’t have a mic’d up Moore… but that’s pretty telling though. Although I doubt he’s faced Vis/Smid yet. And I wonder if we could get PPV games for cheaper through that site..

WOOHOO Horc!!!

Wow, Vis has 10 points in his last 10 games (credit to Quinn and SNET for that factoid)

i just checked out that site, and its 100 per year for the HD which would make it cheaper than ppv’s

and its way cheaper than center ice

43. Oilertyler says:

Nilsson looks great out there

44. NorwegianOiler says:

It is brilliant, though it’s…ehhhm…perhaps not totally legitimate in that you don’t actually “pay” for a “service” you “donate” for “exclusive access” – through paypal. But, as long as it’s this good, I’m in ;)

Nice initiative from Nilsson, drew a penalty in the process (got pretty rocked though)

If they’re not a legit site, I’d be a little hesitant about the yearly subscription, but I’ll definitely consider the odd PPV!

wow nice hit by JFJ!

47. NorwegianOiler says:

I tend to pay 3 months at the time, but it’s still very much worth it.

O’Sully really knows how to telegraph a pass.

49. NorwegianOiler says:

Racki: O’Sully really knows how to telegraph a pass.

Yes. And what a skill that would be…

…had it not been for the opponents out there.

Coaching tip: Work on odd man rushes. I am never as scared as when opponents bear down on us on a 2 on 1, but when we have them…I just expect us to miss a pass or simply fan on it (or miss the net…:P)

50. NorwegianOiler says:

Rough luck for Campbell being hit by his own man, and a masterful evasion manouvre from Nilsson…