It’s an early one today in Texas. The Oilers are currently riding the ever-dangerous one game winning streak, coming off of a 4-1 win vs. the Detroit Dead Things who forgot to show up to the game. But despite the Red Wings poor performance, the Oilers were still at the top of their game and deserved the win. The Stars are also HOT… with their one game winning streak as well, after a 3-1 win over Anaheim on Thursday. Amidst all the drama of to-blow-up-or-not-to-blow-up, we might have an OK game here. I’m going to start a new prediction idea – 2 predictions: one with my heart, one with my brain. The heart prediction is the one that is heavily swayed by the Oil fan in me that will never predict a loss, even in the worst of situations. The brain prediction is the one that throws that all away and votes completely based on what I consider logic.
Heart’s prediction: 5-3 Oilers
Brain’s prediction: 4-3 Oilers in OT.
Pretty close today. I don’t see why the Oilers can’t win this one.
Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)
Dallas Stars Projected Line-Up (subject to change)
Ott – Richards – Eriksson
Morrow – Ribeiro – Benn
Neal – Modano – Lehtinen
Petersen – Wandell – Brunnstrom
Grossman – Robidas
Woywitka – Niskanen
Fistric – Daley
– None to speak of just yet.
1ST PERIOD SUMMARY
15:51 – DAL – Benn from Ribeiro, Morrow
JDD takes a shot high off the chest and the rebound drops to the slot. Benn picks it up and goes around Deslauriers and flips it in.
19:29- DAL – Neal from Richards, Grossman
Neal out battles Gagner in the slot and puts it upstairs on Deslauriers.
– Some good hitting by both sides early on. Stortini rattles the boards with a nice hit on a Dallas defenseman in the Stars’ zone.
– The last half of the period seems to be all Dalls right now, with 5 minutes to go. They’ve got a good cycle going.
– O’Sullivan and Jacques go in on a 2 on 1. O’Sullivan feeds it over to Jacques who gets a nice one timer off, but Turco sees it unfolding the whole way.
– First Oilers powerplay makes the Stars’ 26th ranked PP (at home) look pretty good.
– Decent period for Deslauriers, despite being down 2-0. He had to make some tough saves. But how a goalie that tall gets beat upstairs so much is beyond me.
2ND PERIOD SUMMARY
2:15 – EDM – Visnovsky from Nilsson, Smid
Nilsson chips the puck from the sideboards back to Visnovsky who blasts it on net. Stone is in front of the net trying to tip it, and Stortini is creating troubles for Turco. The phantom tip causes Turco to mishandle the shot as it beats him down low.
– Deslauriers panics Oil fans everywhere, trying to come out of the net on the powerplay to play the puck. He mishandles it right into Morrow’s legs, but luckily Morrow didn’t realize where it was right away.
– No goals scored on the first Oilers powerplay of the second, but I have to say it looked good, nonetheless. Good movement.
– Souray hits Morrow with a nice open ice hit just as he’s getting rid of the puck.
– Deslauriers makes a very nice save with Morrow all alone in front of the net for a tip (Souray was in the corner picking up his stick).
– Nice play by Visnovsky to break up a cross-ice pass on a 2-on-2 rush.
– Penner gets a glorious chance as Turco comes out way out of his net to challenge him. The puck sneaks past Turco, but a Star pokes it away out of danger.
3RD PERIOD SUMMARY
16:53 – EDM – Smid from Moreau, Potulny
Smid just fires it on net through 3 different Stars players.. it banks off someone and past Turco.
– Dallas gets some chances early on, but Staios and Deslauriers both hold the fort in the first few minutes.
– Midway through the Cogliano line put huge pressure on the Stars, generating a couple of chances due to some hard play by Cogliano in particular.
– Visnovsky wheels into the Stars zone with the puck.. he tries to beat Fistric along the boards, but Fistric has nothing of it, laying him out on his butt.
– Ladislav Smid, all smiles after he scored his first goal in 152 games, to tie the game.
– Souray drills Benn up against the boards as he was trying to sneak past. Great old-school Souray hit.
– The Cogliano line gets some good chances again with just over a minute left in the period. Moreau gets 3 shots off that shift, although one missed and one was tipped wide.
– Deslauriers gives a high five to Smid, who is grinning ear to ear, showing the big gap in his teeth.
– Penner and Gagner go in on a rush with Staios just behind. Penner blasts a slapshot that Turco kicks out to Staios, but it’s in his feet.
– JDD makes a glove save on a one-timer by Moreau.
– Just noted at the halfway mark by Kevin Quinn that the shots are 35-35 with each goalie making 33 saves. Pretty good duel.
– Delsauriers gets completely lucky as he’s flopping on his back outside the net as Daley wheels behind the net and feeds it out front, but enough Oilers are there to prevent the puck from going in.
– Souray blasts one from the point, but Turco whips the glove out to make a big save. Souray has “upped his game in the last 40”, as Louie DeBrusk notes.
– The Oilers weather the storm as the Stars get one big chance in the last 10 seconds, with Staios re-directing a puck away from the slot.
1 – DAL – Richards – NO GOAL
– Richards tries to go short side with the shot, but Deslauriers kicks it out
1 – EDM – O’Sullivan – GOAL
– O’Sullivan slows down time right in front of the slot, stickhandles it several times and goes around to the blocker side and puts it in
2 – DAL – Neal – NO GOAL
– Neal comes in down the blocker side and tries to fire it top corner on the glove side but fires it too high.
2 – EDM – Gagner – NO GOAL
– Also tries to do the same as O’Sullivan.. stops in the slot, but unlike O’Sullivan, he tries to shoot it, up high… Turco gloves it in.
3 – DAL – Eriksson – GOAL
– JDD tries to poke check it, and lies flat down, legs spread, but Eriksson pushes it through, five hole.
3 – EDM – Nilsson – NO GOAL
– Nilsson comes in, swinging down the glove side, and looking to come across but he stops a bit and goes backhand glove side, but Turco reels it in.
4 – DAL – Ribeiro – NO GOAL
– Deslauriers poke checks Ribeiro who kind of loses it as he’s trying to bring it to the backhand.
4 – EDM – Penner – NO GOAL
– Turco lies on his side and poke checks the puck off Penner’s stick, who was looking to bring it across the crease and go backhand.
5 – DAL – Morrow – NO GOAL
– Morrow comes very wide from the blocker side. JDD cheats to the glove side a bit, and Morrow tries to put it past him blocker side but it hits the post.
5 – EDM – Horcoff – GOAL
– Horcoff takes a long run at the puck, picks it up at the dot, and skates in, firing it five hole through the wickets.
The Oilers got off to a very slow start in this game, but luckily Deslauriers played a relatively steady and solid game, keeping them in it the whole way. Deslauriers earned the first star, while Turco gets the 2nd… these could easily have been interchanged as both played great games. Third star goes to Smid who scored his first goal in nearly 2 full seasons. Souray also played a pretty hard, physical game. The third line created a lot of chances and energy as well, from the 2nd period onward.
Next game, Monday, 5:30 start vs. the Panthers in Florida.
71 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 3, Dallas Stars 2 (SO) – Dec 5, 2009 @ 12:00 PM – SNET – Game 29”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.