By , December 3, 2009 11:16 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Detroit Red Wings

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Detroit Red Wings

Looks like I’ll be PVR’ing this game and playing it back. Thanks to the shaw guide being all effed up, my recording is a bit weird… recording “Judge Judy” and exending it for an extra 2 hours (cause it’s that good) then recording CSI right after. No, I’m not really recording those shows… that’s my attempt at PVR’ing the hockey game because Shaw (or City TV… whoever is responsible) hasn’t updated the guide to show that hockey game on there.

Anyways, the Oilers have had a 4 day break to think about why we’ve created new forum threads/blog posts/newspaper articles on why they stink so much this year and how to fix them. The last Oiler game was a 7-3 ass kicking by the Vancouver Canucks. As for the Red Wings, they’ve won their last two (against Dallas and in a shootout against St. Louis), but lost the 3 before that (to Calgary, Atlanta and Nashville). So they’re looking human right now too.

Don’t forget, it’s an early one… 5:00 on City TV. Play by play will be provided by Tim Spelliscy. Ok.. not really.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Gagner-Brule
Moreau-Potulny-Cogliano
JFJ-O’Sullivan-Horcoff
Stone-Stortini-Nilsson

Souray-Gilbert
Smid-Visnovsky
Strudwick-Staios

Deslauriers
Doobie

Detroit Red Wings Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Leino-Zetterberg-Cleary
Draper-Helm-Miller
May-Abdelkader-Maltby

Lidstrom-Ericsson
Lebda-Rafalski
Stuart-Meech

Howard
Osgood

GAME NOTES

- Sounds like Nilsson is very likely to play and Stone and Horcoff are game time decisions, as of yesterday.. I’ll try and get a better update on this.
- more to come.. been a super busy day at work for me, so sorry for the lack of interesting stuff here.

Btw, if I may direct your attention to the latest poll:

Poll du la week

Should the Oilers management/coaching try to tank the season for a top 2 pick?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

41 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton Oilers 4, Detroit Red Wings 1 – Dec 3, 2009 @ 5:00 PM – City TV – Game 28”

twitter said nilsson and stone on 4th line with stortini

stortini at center

2. Max Powers says:

I’m hoping for a better showing against Detroit than Vancouver. Vancouver game was the only game I can remember turning off after the 1st period to watch a movie (Funny people). Usually I’m the optimist in bad games. “Well in todays NHL any team can come back from a 5 goal deficit” not this team, not that night. These are depressing times Racki.

Agreed Max. I’m getting that feeling I had during the mid 90′s where I tuned out most of the time. http://communities.canada.com/edmontonjournal/blogs/hockey/default.aspx By Staples. This pretty much sums up what I feel looking at the Oilers right now.

Hopefully we see some good physical play from the boys tonight. Detroit is a team we should be able to beat, but they have our number. Hopefully Howard is in net.

4. Horpensky says:

Tank for Taylor!

5. DropIt says:

I see this game as that stepping stone for the Oilers. Like Steve said, 4 days off to come to terms with what this season has become for them. Detroit is pretty average these days and this is a winnable game for the Oilers.

Unfortunately…

Prediction:
    Detroit-5
    Edmonton-2

all I know is I’m done with the predictions, I can’t bring myself to predict an Oilers loss, and when I pick’em to win the get beat like bubba’s cell mate.

Horpensky: Tank for Taylor!

Count me in for that idea.

But I also agree with DropIt that this is a very winnable game. However, I’m not being a Kool-aid drinker here.. I predict the opposite of his prediction. 5-2 Oilers. The Oilers will come out big here. They know they have to… they’re well rested. They have no excuse not to play well. If there is any game they can win, this is the one.

Also I bring your attention to the new poll added..

9. Trogdor says:

I’m going to vote in favor of the boys in blue and say 4-3 Oil. Hat trick for Zetterberg and Osgood pulled 5 minutes in with no goals against.

Not sure if the Tampa game will be televised but if it is, and I can covince the wife it’s a good idea to pop over there, look for a dude in an Oilers jersey with a not so amused pregnant wife.

10. DropIt says:

As bad as it sounds, I hear talk like the Oilers shpould TRY to tank by keeping their roster and waiting out the season…
    But being realistic here, let’s be honest, chances are they really don’t have to try. Its likely just going to happen.

I think the Oilers may ne able to get an overpayment from a playoff pusher for Souray at the deadline.

Boo no HD…this feed looks ghetto

and a bad tiger joke from gene to kick things off, at least they play ecstasy of gold in detroit

and say no to tanking

woot, nice goal Lebda!

13. Mr.Majestyk says:

Ouch. Harsh comments by DropIt. In all honesty I don’t think we are the worst or 2nd worst team in the NHL even without Hemsky. With that in mind, I don’t think we’re in the Taylor sweepstakes. I’d never want us to purposely tank it either. If we really, really want Taylor Hall, get creative and offer up players and picks at the draft, but I hate the thought of our team purposely losing.

and you guys want to trade that guy…pfft

wow!!

awesome goal Nilsson!!!

geezus if he brought that every shift !!

why the fuck do the oilers gotta let in late goals every fucking game!!

i bet its because racki turned the game on…when he wasn’t watching it they ruled, but once he turned it on they sucked

racki must be banned from watching games from now on

Well just turned it on to see Nilsson score a beauty of a goal – too bad they had to let in that late goal at the end. But they seem to be playing well so hopefully they get past that and come out strong in the second.

Well I can’t watch – Survivor has won out over the game (over-ruled by family) but I see it’s 4-1 so that’s a good response to that last second goal! O’Sully x 2!!!

20. DropIt says:

Majestyk, technically they have to nbe a bottom 5 team, which in all likeliness is attainable. I agree that they are not a bottom 2 team, especially with Khabibulin coming back.

Great period played by the Oil, good to see them come out strong after that late goal in period one.

22. NorwegianOiler says:

Nilsson’s goal…pure hockey beauty ;)

Wings have been a bit tame, but also somewhat unlucky. Usually they pot a few with the amount of traffic they’ve been able to produce in front of JDD.

Oilers more assertive in their play, yet Struds, Souray, Staios, even Smid are getting turned away too easily by quick players like Abdelkader and Helm.

Most encouragingly, the Oilers are able to take advantage of open ice, connecting with passes in transition and using each other well – moving the puck around on the rush to create space. Whether that is because we’re actually that much better or if Detroit’s coverage and backchecking is lacking…I won’t investigate further, I’ll just take it for now.

Go OILERS!

NorwegianOiler: Nilsson’s goal…pure hockey beauty Decent game from the Oilers, good physical effort – especially by an emerging fan favourite (formerly hated) JF Jacques. Has Jacques ever embraced his role well, he keeps hitting at every chance and creating turnovers – practically made Sully’s second goal.
    Hope they haven’t set us up for a major disappointment in the third, allowing the Wings to get back in it…Go OILERS!

N.O. –

great assessment as usual N.O., I agree completely about JFJ, I really liked how he started the game too, he was a one man wrecking crew and set a good tone early.

btw, are you a big Patrick Thoreson fan? he’s in KHL this year isn’t he? how is he doing?

JDD deserves some props too, he’s playing solid.

Nice, nice road win by the Oilers! Guess I’ll have to check out the new playoff predictions on the OMB later on…

So I listened to this one in entirety from my car… lots of driving around today. Sounded like a pretty good game. Went exactly as I predicted earlier in the thread. :D I still don’t have much faith in this team, but I’m glad they won the bounce back game as they should have.

Going to actually WATCH the game now. Nilsson’s goal was built up as amazing by pretty much everyone on the radio, so I’m expecting some godlike moves.

so i’ll assume it was the most boring period ever

Holy shit were there ever a lot of empty seats there.

Steve-O: well that sucks…i passed out on the couch at the end of the second and missed the thirdso i’ll assume it was the most boring period ever

Bob Stauffer didn’t salivate all over the mic, so I’m thinking it actually was a boring period.

My highlights on the night:

- JFJ great hits on Meech
    - Gorgeous goal by Nilsson, assisted by a great through the legs pass by Stone
    - Detroit’s goal was a nice one… good set up by Bertuzzi and a perfectly placed shot by Cleary
    - Souray threw a pretty nice hit on Bertuzzi
    - Our 4th line was very good tonight and showed that certain players can bring good secondary scoring
    - Deslauriers robbed Big Bert in the 3rd
    - Smid through a great hit on Stuart in the 3rd… very nice defensively play to prevent a scoring chance, and a nice looking hit, to boot

For the record, this team is still lacking. I think it is promising that it shows a pulse after a big loss. So there is some fight in the team. I think when I look at the players now I see several guys that do put in honest efforts…. but often that effort isn’t enough.

Our backend is my biggest worry, really. If they’re playing well defensively, things go well.. if they’re not, its usually a disaster all around. I’ve been saying for a while though that they need defensive help first.

Anyways, solid bounce back game by the boys, tonight. But I’m still not fooled.
    “Tank for T?yl?r” – modified version of Horpensky’s post from earlier.

The Red Wings actually looked like a really bad team, it was really kind of odd to see.

double post.

The Red Wings are enduring their own struggles right now.

Good win tonight by the boys. Came out an honestly out-played the Wings in the first 40 minutes. The 3rd had a lot of Red Wing chances but JDD stood strong. Great win tonight. My god Nilsson please do that a little bit more, what a move that was! Sully found the net 2x! Nice to see him throw those in there. Take them how we get them. Still don’t not sure about the playoffs, I wont be sure for another month, maybe two. One thing we all agree on here is that they need to go out and give the Stars hell on Saturday and pull out another win. 2 in a row would be very helpful for the confidence level of the team. JFJ has really impressed me this season, and N.O just as you said he really is becoming a fan favorite. Hoping for an Oilers win Saturday. We need at least 3 wins on this road trip. We are now 1-1. Listen to Gilbert. One game at a time. Honestly fuck the standings, and record. ONE GAME AT A TIME! Interesting that the young guys are giving 110% every night, while almost all the vets are not. Wonder why that is (Vish gives it his all, and on most night Staios does too. Moreau is the same as Staios)

Watched a chunk of this game at the girlfriends place.

(sarcasmtag)Stone our Savior(/sarcasmtag).

Nice goal by Bobbie, if he can consistently make moves like that and be successful even, even every third game, I think we’ll have a lot of changed opinions on Nilsson. I doubt that will happen though, I could hear Quinn gasp as he pulled this move though (hahaha).

I really wanted to see Smid drop the gloves, this guy is slowly but surely becoming one of my favourite players on the team. I love it when he has a mean streak going.

36. Horpensky says:

Horpensky: It’s amazing how optimistic we are after a good win (and pessimistic after a loss). This is how bipolar we are. One win and we think we can make the playoffs, and a loss and we think we should tank. But in the big picture, this team hasn’t proven anything yet.

Racki:
    Anyways, solid bounce back game by the boys, tonight. But I’m still not fooled.
    “Tank for T?yl?r” – modified version of Horpensky’s post from earlier.

As you can see by my post above, I’m still aboard the “tank train”… stay the course, I say…

Really though, it is barely December and there is a lot of season left.. but I’d like them to tank just to do the rebuild right. Get a player to REALLY build around and trade some of the small assets we’ve got and cut some players loose…

38. Mr.Majestyk says:

I’m an eternal optimist so I always think we can make the playoffs. That said, I look for positives and negatives in all our games, when we win and when we lose. The last few games, I’ve seen more positives than negatives. Sure, it really sucked losing to the Canucks, but JDD just didn’t have a stellar game, and our PK wasn’t working on that night and we got burned. On the flipside, in the last bunch of games we’ve had more jump. They look a lot more like the team we saw at the start of the season that got out of the gates quick(right down to the last second goals we allow). If as a group they can continue to move in this direction, I think we can correct the problems by making some deals and picking up a defensive defenceman.

Have some Koo-Aid! Cheers!

My frustrations with the team this year are directed towards management, much like many other fans. I think the players on most nights do give 100% (although we do have some players that still expect a free ride). But sometimes their 100% isn’t enough. That’s when you look at management to help fix the problem.

I do think there is a decent chance they can make the playoffs, but there’s maybe an even better chance that they won’t. I will say though that I’m not a believer that Hemsky makes or break this team. The thing about how Quinn coaches this team is no one player should make or break it. It’s a modular team. If Hemsky is out, well, as we seen, Brule steps in (and he’s currently doing a mighty fine job in his place) and someone else fills in for Brule. Obviously there is only so much that can be done if we lose several guys, but I’m not on the management-hate-wagon because Hemsky is out. It changes nothing in my eyes.

They’re losing games because they can’t keep the puck out of their net, not because they can’t score. That’s why I’ve been repeatedly banging the drum that they’ve needed better defensive d-men for a while now (so that I agree with you on, MrM!). Khabibulin being hurt doesn’t help either.

40. Horpensky says:

I really don’t believe Hemsky makes or breaks the team either. Under MacT it really looked that way but Quinn’s game makes everyone contribute.

Funny how a few seasons ago we had too many defensive d-men that couldn’t make a breakout pass to save their lives, and now we have them flying out of our arses and growing on trees. However we don’t have enough ones that can keep the puck out of the net to save their lives.

Anyways we have a lot of excellent prospects coming up. With Eberle lighting up the WHL like a Christmas tree and Cornet looking like a huge steal, we got a pretty good future. Lets not rush these guys.

Yah, as far as the defense are concerned, Lowe “fixed” that in bulk. Ran out anyone with any defensive sense. Staios was a bit of a hybrid early on, so I guess he lucked out, surviving the change. Really, I’d love it if they had 3 Visnovskys and 3 Smids. :P But since that’s not possible, I’d say Souray, Visnovsky, Grebeshkov, Smid, Chorney and a rock-solid D-man would get the job done. The ridiculous, usual fan expectations say Peckham is that guy, but if he’ll ever be that guy he’s a long ways off. He shouldn’t be expected to be that guy for a while either. Having a d-man that gives our younger guys some confidence would go a long ways. It’s done wonders for Smid. Same for Grebeshkov when he’s with Visnovsky – put him with Gilbert and it’s a nightmare.