Enjoy it while it lasts, Dustin…

By , December 11, 2009 11:32 pm
Penner, in the top 5 in scoring

Penner, keeping company with the game's elite

14 Responses to “Enjoy it while it lasts, Dustin…”

1. Mr.Majestyk says:

I love it. I know everyone is expecting a dropoff from him, but I think they have been expecting that for the last while and it hasn’t happened. I picked up Penner in my pool when he got off to a nice start, and at one point TSN’s fantasy expert was recommending that owners try and unload him while he’s hot. I held onto him because I’m a homer, and he has not disappointed me so far.

2. Horpensky says:

Woah Ovie’s only played 24 games??

Yah, suspension for 2 games, and then injured for 6 with a shoulder injury. I’m really skeptical he can stay in the top 5.. but seriously, when is the last time we’ve had someone in the top 20 even at the end of the year? My guess would be with Doug Weight.

Yup. Doug Weight. Nice to see and refreshing on a rollercoaster ride of a season.

MM, I’ll trade you Penner for Derek Roy. :P

5. Max Powers says:

I remember Selivanov leading the league in goals one year after like 25-30 games or so. Dustin’s gonna have 79 points this year. This is awesome. I always used to check the internet for the closest Oilers to the top in stats and always had to scroll down quite a ways and in most cases had to click ‘next page’. This is beauty. Hope he keeps it up.

Yah honestly, my first thought was “how long has it been since we were in the top 30″ (at the end of the year). I’m not sure if that’s too broad or not, but honestly, it never seems like we’ve had a guy up there since Weight. I know Smyth was in the mix that one year though until he broke his leg, or whatever.

another angle that hasn’t been brought up.

Dany Heatley.

on pace for:
    GP G A P
    82 49 39 88

Dustin Penner

on pace for:
    GP G A P
    82 46 46 92

and that’s without having the benefit of Thornton as a linemate.

although Heatley is likely to keep up his pace and Penner remains to be seen.

Oh it’s been brought up, just not in this particular post. :P

But I think it’s great that both Penner and Smid are on pace for making huge names for themselves. Cogliano is lagging behind, in my opinion, but that has more to do with opportunities (not) given to him, more than anything. Again, I’m still quite happy that trade was not done. I should put up that old poll again. I’d bet the voting would change.

It was pretty even, with a very small bias towards us being better off without Heatley (this was posted before the season started).

9. Horpensky says:

Can you imagine the points Penner would be putting up with Spezza and Alfredsson though? Not to mention Smid would give Ottawa 3 very solid shutdown guys. I’d say if that trade went through, Ottawa got way better. And for us we would probably be frustrated watching everyone cutting off the passing lane between Hemsky and Heatley and everyone else not doing much.

Yah, I’ve always been opposed to the thought that one guy would fix everything (especially if the one guy is just a goal scorer). Not to take away from Dany Heatley here… he’s a phenomenal goal scorer, and I can’t see Penner outscoring Heatley at the end of this year, let alone any other year (unless Heatley gets hurt or hits a huge slump). However, the team needs more than just that to win.

I seriously want Tambellini to think smaller here. Enough shooting for the superstars. It’s all nice to have, and fun to watch, but really this team isn’t one superstar from the cup. It’s several lesser role guys away – again, more physical d-man and a guy who plays a tough game in his own end, and some size with skill on a couple of the other lines.

Some people have been talking Byfuglien on HFBoards. I can’t see it happening, but he would be a good addition, for example. Another Ryan Stone / Curtis Glencross type would be nice. Someone who may not score much on his own, but will open up ice for our skill guys.

11. Mr.Majestyk says:

If things went according to plan, we already have the skill players on this team now. What we need is sandpaper guys that allow the skill guys to play like stars.

What are the chances of getting a guy like Steckel? Perfect for what we need on special teams and faceoffs. Likely not going to happen for what we’d have to send the other way. But we need a guy like him and, as Racki said, another big D man who can punish. We have the assets to get these, it’s just a matter of time now. There are too many players on one way deals and not enough roster spots, plus we have a couple of guys who we don’t really need. Something will happen just after Christmas I think.

I don’t know, I can’t imagine the Caps are anxious to dump him, but who knows.

Btw, I know you were one of the other folks high on Halak (myself being another)… rumor is that the Habs are shopping him now. JDD’s been playing well now though, so it’s probably a bit late to think about that kind of a deal. And well, a JDD / Halak combo probably would be a bit risky anyways, but it’s too bad Tambellini was high when he signed Khabi to his 15 year, 8.92 billion dollar contract. The Thrashers are also shopping a goalie now too. Damn, I’m sorry, but I’m hating the Khabi contract. Not cause he’s hurt (although that doesn’t help), but because of the obvious – too long and too much at that length.

14. elpol says:

Horpensky: I remember when he was top 5 in scoring last time and told to enjoy while it lasts…Woah Ovie’s only played 24 games??

and he’s +16.