Doobie Snuffed, Pitton Recalled

By , December 12, 2009 4:40 pm
The new backup goalie..

The new backup goalie..

Devan Dubnyk has been sent back to Springfield, and Bryan Pitton has been recalled in his place. My theory on that is it is in mercy to Springfield. These guys are waving the white flag. Since Dubnyk was recalled, the Falcons haven’t won a single game (in 8 games played). Previous to Dubnyk being recalled, they were competing for the Eastern Conference in the AHL. Pray that Deslauriers doesn’t get hurt mid-game.

The goalie swap also helps Dubnyk, since collecting rust on the bench isn’t doing him much good.

Official Oilers writeup:

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have recalled goaltender Bryan Pitton from Springfield of the American Hockey League. They have also reassigned Devan Dubnyk to Springfield.

Pitton has appeared in 13 games this year with the Stockton Thunder of the East Coast Hockey League. He has a 4-7-1 record with a 3.28 GAA and .907 SV%. The 21-year-old netminder was called up to Springfield when the Oilers recalled Dubnyk last month.

11 Responses to “Doobie Snuffed, Pitton Recalled”

Jason Gregor of the team figures he’ll play one game and come back up (Dubnyk, that is).

Here’s another cheesy Principe-esque one for you…

Doobie lit up in first game back in Springfield… Dubnyk allowed 7 goals on 26 shots in a 7-1 loss vs. Portland. Yikes.

3. Horpensky says:

Looks like goaltending isn’t going to help them either when we’re holding on to their #1 goal scorer

Well they’ve gotten by to this point with any of those guys.. but goaltending sure didn’t help them tonight.

I’m going into Lowell to see the Falcons on Tuesday night. Hoping that Doobie pays down there. After tonight I think he will need a few more games ot get his game back. I know the Falcns had a great start to the season then we took all their players…..

Don’t worry Falcons fans, Pouliot will be heading your way soon! Well, at least for a conditioning stint that I would have to think will be as a long as the rules allow.

haha Chucker.. with any luck he’ll get sent down there permanently. But yes, I’m sure he’ll get a conditioning stint.

8. neufab says:

I’m not a Pouliot fan, but I am a little curious to see what Quinn can do to his game. Clearly a conditioning stint is a must, and upon the expiration of his Falcons stint, I hope he’s on a short leash. Management seems to like him, and if that’s the case, I hope he brings some physical play and face-off wins. I don’t know, might not be bad on that 4th line, but who sits out?

9. Hockey Noob says:

It sounds like poor Dubnyk had a rough night last night against the Portland Pirates. He allowed seven goals against in 26 shots. They kept him in for the entire game. Ouch…

10. Hockey Noob says:

Oops, you already provided that update. Sorry Racki!

No worries Noob ;)

And yah Neufab… I’m not opposed to him getting another shot, cause you just never know, under a new coach. All he’s seen is some limited pre-season action, if I recall. And that’s not enough to truly see what he can do I guess. But I make no secret that I’m no Pouliot fan. He definitely should be on a short leash, as you said. And I have no clue who he would push out of the lineup. My best guess is Potulny, whom I’ve figured would be bumped out, courtesy of Comrie.

The other problem is that if everyone comes back healthy (minus Hemsky, of course) then they need to send a couple of players down to the minors or trade, or whatever. Now the choice gets difficult. Unless Pouliot pulls off a miracle, or some more players get hurt (the more likely scenario), I would think he would be one of the first guys cut. If I’m not mistaken, everyone of our forwards/defense up right now have to clear waivers to go down.

I think likely targets for turfing are: Pouliot, Strudwick, and Nilsson. But the way things have been going, I’m sure someone will get taken out long term, freeing up a roster spot. *rolls eyes*