3 Oilers make final selection camp for Team Canada WJHC team

By , December 2, 2009 1:01 pm

Edmonton Oilers prospects Jordan Eberle, Olivier Roy and Philippe Cornet have been named to the 2010 Canadian World Junior Hockey Championships final selection camp (meaning they still could get cut). From TSN – “The players will evaluated by head coach Willie Desjardins and his assistants beginning Dec. 12 and the list will be pared down to a 22-man lineup at the end of selection camp.”

Jordan Eberle is 2nd in WHL scoring Behind fellow 19 year old Brandon Kozun, who has played 5 more games and has just 1 more point. Eberle has 23 goals, 27 assists for 50 points in 24 games.

Of goalies that have played in 10 or more games so far this year, Olivier Roy is ranked 9th amongst QMJHL goales in GAA, 14th in SV%, and 6th in wins.

Philippe Cornet has 18 goals and 27 assists for 45 points in 30 games with the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies of the QMJHL. Cornet is 2nd in scoring in the QMJHL, 3 points behind teammate Gabriel Levesque (32 games played).

TSN has a list of other players named to the 36-man roster.

12 Responses to “3 Oilers make final selection camp for Team Canada WJHC team”

Updated to include Cornet, who wasn’t listed on the TSN article.. oops.

2. DropIt says:

Looks like some promising Canadian content drafted by Edmonton. I am hella excited for WJHC

Me too, and I’m glad it’s in Saskatchewan… those arenas are going to be NUTS.

Anyone else thinking Cornet will have a real emergence at this camp and tournament?

5. OilerTyler says:

I am looking forward to seeing Eberle and Svensson play in this tournament

By the way, Edmonton is now the worst team in the west, that seems pretty bad, but imagine this…

Svensson-Hall-Eberle

The new and improved kid line

6. Horpensky says:

For sure OilerTyler. MPS will likely be my brightspot for this year as well as Eberle.

I was looking at the standings and I don’t care what the Oilers think, there are simply way to many teams ahead at this juncture to be thinking of making a run with this lineup. Start trading guys and shedding salary and ensure we get that top draft pick. I’d be trading guys to Boston for TO’s pick. They might want a guy like Cogs. That TO pick is one I am covetting.

I’d also be trading anything I could to Carolina for their pick if it’s available. Maybe they’d take POS for a second rounder or Horcoff for a first. Heck, I’d be trading to anyone quite frankly.

Horpensky: Cornet has been overlooked with the likes of Eberle and MPS. He’s 2nd in QMJHL scoring right now I believe.

I was really impressed with him at camp this year. He’s gonna be a reliable 20-25 goal guy I would think. He looked better than half our roster guys quite frankly.

I’m seriously torn on the subject of the Oilers season. One one hand I think the Oilers *could* make a decent run, and with some key guys like Stone and Comrie back they’d be a lot better team. But I also think there’s a better chance that it’s not enough and they end up 2, 3, 4 points out, and get a middle of the road pick.

My heart says “they can do it!”. But my brain says “the smart thing to do is just bomb the season and get it over with”.

I think we`ll have a tough time compete for the Hall and Seguin sweepstakes.. but you never know. Plus there`s the lottery. I think Brian Burke is going to “run his team into the sewer”. But if by some miracle the Oilers finished 29th or 30th, I’d be ecstatic. Would be nice to have a real franchise face here. Not to say that Hall or Seguin can’t be busts.. but theres a good enough chance they could be very spectacular players.

I enjoy how you included that last part there Racki (about busts). =p I hate to say it but I’d be ecstatic to get a top pick too, top three would be prime. Honestly, it hurts saying that but you know we’d be flourishing with young talent.

Now the big question is, are we going to rush these players into the NHL or will the management actually sit back and let them develop for a solid season. For Eberle it’s hard to say since he had such a good camp but then again he was competing with exhibition teams, not NHL teams. I really believe that they should strive to focus a lot of the players dedication to not only on ice but also the strength and agility training when they’re in the AHL.

Svennson is a decent size (not sure about athletic ability though) but Eberle could put on a good ten pounds of muscle yet. That and the younger players should get use to a faster system. I really enjoy how most our players are doing really good in their given leagues though.

As for Cornet, good observation, Horpensky. I’ve added a note in there that he’s 2nd in scoring… just a few points behind his own teammate. Pretty impressive. As a note, his teammate that is ahead is undrafted (most likely due to his very small size – 5’7″ 144lbs).

At their ages, Eberle and Cornet should be dominating, and it looks like they are doing just that.. so that is comforting.

Racki: Svennson, if I recall, was supposed to be the fastest skater at the draft. He’s received comparisons to Forsberg, Naslund and Hossa.

As for Cornet, good observation, Horpensky. I’ve added a note in there that he’s 2nd in scoring… just a few points behind his own teammate. Pretty impressive. As a note, his teammate that is ahead is undrafted (most likely due to his very small size – 5′7″ 144lbs).

Ah, I remember hearing that on Svennson, the comparisons that is. Didn’t really pay much attention to the draft stats though but that is awesome he’s that fast. He’s decent size too, I wonder how fast he can adapt to the NHL style of play, or North American hockey for that matter.