Renney snaps, loses it, and headfakes Hemsky with a complicated practice drill

By , November 20, 2009 7:48 pm
Renney lectures Hemsky about work ethics

Not since General Zod from Superman 2 have we seen deadlier eye lasers. Kneel before Tom!

Today in practice, apparently Renney blew up on Hemsky. Details on all of this are sketchy still, but according to Tencer’s twitter: “Would be inappropriate to relay what Renney said to Hemsky during practice; underlying message was: ‘pls work a bit harder'”.

Quinn was asked about it in an interview and had this to say (quote taken from Oilers Nation):

Again, as a coach, you try to have… Our job is to help these guys get better. I mean, it really is. When you’re putting in an effort to try to help them be better and some guys don’t seem to value that effort that you’re making because they have their own habits or maybe they don’t need to practice that hard, they think in their minds game day is tomorrow, I’ll turn it on tomorrow.

They’re the guys who often kid themselves. Yes, they’ve got great talent, but, you know what? We’ve missed the playoffs (three) bloody years in a row and five of the last eight, so, at the end of the day, you’ve got to start saying, ‘Well, wait a minute. Talent is what?’ Talent is part of it, but we need a bigger package. How do you get the bigger package? Well, you ask people to work.

So what are your thoughts on this? MacTavish was heavily criticized for throwing players under the bus last year (namely Penner, Schremp and Nilsson). Does Quinn get a free pass on this? Does this validate what MacTavish was doing with other players? Or were MacTavish’s words out of desperation?

To me, I don’t mind the criticism too much, if it’s warranted (see throwing Schremp under the bus while he’s in Springfield as unwarranted). I was against MacTavish harping on Penner and Nilsson last year. In hindsight though, I think he was right about Nilsson, and partly right about Penner (yes, Penner didn’t have the same drive last year, but I don’t think MacTavish got the most out of him either). As for Quinn and Renney, I think their comments are valid as well. According to Robin Brownlee, Hemsky is the first to blow out of there at the end of the practice, and sounds like he agrees that his practice work ethics are few and far between. The only question now is how Hemsky responds to this. I don’t think he’s going anywhere, but I know that idea will run through some Oilers fans’ heads.

14 Responses to “Renney snaps, loses it, and headfakes Hemsky with a complicated practice drill”

1. Mr.Majestyk says:

Well, I think that last year MacT openly talked about Penner/Nilsson/Schremp. This year, it was during practice that Renney went off on Hemsky, he hasn’t spoken to the media. Its not like they are going to the media putting them under the bus.

On a sidenote, do you get the feeling that Quinn isn’t a big fan of Comrie? Was he just being humourous or actually ticked at him for his shootout attempt vs Ottawa?

3. Horpensky says:

I think Hemsky had this coming for a while now. You can tell he just doesn’t put in the effort some days. He’s great, but Renney was right about the effort. If he does that, he wouldn’t be so frustrating on some plays.

4. Mr.Majestyk says:

Yeah, I agree with you Racki. He’s pretty slow, but I already knew that…he has a knack for finding the back of the net though. So I hope he gets healthy soon so he can help us win some games.

On the replay, I think Comrie put the tip of his blade on top of the puck a la Phil Bourque. It wasn’t as obvious, not sure what he was trying to do there.
    inspired by the caption in the photo “Come to me, son of Jor-El! Kneel before Zod! Zod!!” God I loved Superman II.

Superman 2 was fantastic. Definitely one of my favorite superhero movies.

And I kind of thought maybe that’s what Quinn meant (the “Phil Bourque” move, which was complete comedy but also ridiculous). I didn’t even notice that he did that. Can’t find any highlights of him in the shootout either. Just the Sens scorers.

Racki: No, he was definitely ticked at him for the shootout attempt. Why? I don’t know. I don’t remember it being anything bad. It’s not like he was doing a lacrosse move. I presume he was just trying to get the goaltender to bite. Comrie has obviously been playing with through mono and isn’t going to be at 100%.. so I see no reason to get on his case. Comrie’s been one of few bright spots. Before he got sick, I thought he looked great.

honestly, I remember watching that shhotout move by Comrie and thinking to myself “wtf was that, I made better moves in peewee”

it was pretty bad, but really, I think he just kinda was indecisive and had a one bad shootout attempt, I certainly don’t think it warranted Quinn lamenting on it days later.

as far as Hemsky goes, I like that their calling him out and holding him accountable, I think he’s had kind of a free ride for too long, and we have far too many young guys on our team for the “best player” to be given a free pass to laziness while other used to get thrown under the bus. bottom line is, Hemsky is an awesome player but always seems to fall short, and I’d have to say I think that, at least in part has to do with his lack of intensity/work ethic.

Hemsky is the face of the franchise and he’s a floater. Everyone knows it and MacT was right on these issues. Time for these guys to do what it takes,because it clearly shows in games when they do not.

Like a few others said, I was kind of expecting this sooner or later as well. It must be hard for a flashy dangler to adapt to Quinn’s game though too. I don’t really think that’s the point but when he mentions the players that like to carry the puck and be a one man team I think sometimes he’s referring to Hemmer and maybe Nilsson too. And unless there are players opening up the ice like Stone and Jacques did Hemsky’s flashy style looks more like a liability than an asset. So if the ice is opening up and he’s getting points this wouldn’t be as much of an issue I guess.

The work ethic though is what Quinn must be really getting at. When he’s not putting up as many points as he could be and not working as hard it’s a double negative. I met Hemsky last year at the autograph signing though, he seems pretty genuine from what I got. I know it was a very brief meeting but none the less he didn’t have an attitude at all like Kovalev’s so we don’t have to worry there. I think he may respond positively although he’s not use to that.

9. Horpensky says:

It just shows that putting up points isn’t always the entire game. I’ll use Spezza for example. Last season he was putting up more than a PPG at the beginning, but he was being called out publicly by the coach to “play better or not play at all”. Fans were calling to trade Spezza because he was just frustrating despite putting up points (Sounds like Hemsky a lot of the time no?)

This season, he hasn’t been putting up the points, but his two-way effort has improved tremendously if you’ve been watching and none of the Sens fans are really complaining at all. I think this “reliability” is what the coaches want out of Hemsky.

10. OilerTyler says:

I thought Hemsky has been playing fine the last few games, but maybe the coaching staff thinks that he can still play better. He was amazing in the Columbus game, he was on Nash’s ass all night, he even hit him!

Racki: Tyler, I don’t think it’s his game-compete level they were frustrated with – perhaps consistency of it (which is a very valid point). But it sounds more like they were concerned with the effort he brings to practice. He’s one of the leaders on the team too, so if he’s out there half-assing it, it doesn’t set a very good example. But at the same time, this was one thing that really bothered me about Pete Peeters. He was all about practice. If you weren’t standing on your head making saves in practice, you didn’t start the games. And I thought it hindered Garon a lot because some guys just don’t bring it to practice. Soooo.. on that note, do I think the same of Quinn/Renney here? No. Damn you, hypocrisy. Maybe I just understand Peeters a bit more now.One thing to say though that I’ve heard others say… could you imagine Hemsky if he had the work ethic of a guy like Horcoff? This is why Quinn/Renney got mad with him. If he brought it every night and every day he could be a real superstar.

Sorry, but this reminded me of this. We’re talkin’ ’bout practice!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exOxUAntx8I&feature=related

haha nice Chucker. That’s a perfect comparison

Mr.Majestyk: Yeah, I agree with you Racki.He’s pretty slow, but I already knew that…he has a knack for finding the back of the net though.So I hope he gets healthy soon so he can help us win some games.On the replay, I think Comrie put the tip of his blade on top of the puck a la Phil Bourque.It wasn’t as obvious, not sure what he was trying to do there.
    inspired by the caption in the photo “Come to me, son of Jor-El!Kneel before Zod!Zod!!”God I loved Superman II.

Pic/caption updated. :lol: