O’Marra sent back to Springfield / Arsene recalled

By , November 12, 2009 6:36 pm

According to the Oilers Twitter, Ryan O’Marra has been sent back down. You have to figure that Shawn Horcoff will be back next game, given that the Oilers recently lost Reddox to injury.

Edit (Nov 14): The Oilers have now recalled defenseman Dean Arsene from Springfield.

21 Responses to “O’Marra sent back to Springfield / Arsene recalled”

I have a good feeling Souray will be back for the next game too, or at least by Monday.

2. Pennzoil27 says:

Yeah there is a good chance that Shelly plays Vs. the Thrashers on Sunday according to the Journal.

3. hockeynoob says:

Yeah, it will be nice to get Souray back. Staios has actually been a big surprise since his return or maybe I’m just used to watching Strudwick/Chorney getting burned. I hope that Grebs isn’t out too long.

Staios has been really good (minus that one play by Derek Roy where he spun Staios into the ice). I look forward to him being paired up with Souray again, assuming that’s what Quinn decides. Either way, I’m just ecstatic Souray will be back. Hopefully his head is 100% on Sunday.

The way Reddox went down was pretty scary. Hope him and Grebber make a quick recovery. I wonder when we’re gonna have a full team again and I hope Stone makes it back soon too.

On another note, anyone see the Rypien and May fight? Wow, that’s one of the best fights I’ve seen this season so far…

I actually had no idea May was even still playing. There’s a bit of old man power, on display. Good fight against one of the better fighters out there. Rypien poured it on at the end once the jersey was up over May’s head, but before that, May was winning by my count.

I am happy to see O’Marra get his cup of coffee and realize a dream. He didn’t play terrible either so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him brought back if we run into another stretch of injuries.

And no, I missed that fight so now its off to youtube.

Here’s a quick link for those of you who have missed it:

I’m a little disappointed in how the Vancouver bench reacted though, you’d think they’d be a little more enthusiastic.

So on a good note, it sounds like Reddox’s grey matter is in good condition after the hit, but on a bad note, he may have injured his wrist though, according to Quinn in the TSN Ice Chips.

Ok, add Fernando Pisani to the sick bay. He had a Colitis flare up and has been sent back to Edmonton per Tencer’s Twitter. However, Souray and Horcoff are probable for Sunday.

some other twitter highlights:
    no supplementary discipline for macarthur on reddox hit
    nilsson back at practice in atlanta
    pisani and colitis as mentioned above
    grebber grabber out weeks with mcl
    horcoff and souray probable for tomorrow

12. Pennzoil27 says:

Man oh man it just keeps getting worse and worse. Now I am no doctor but with the swine flu affecting those with preexisting conditions the worst and with Pisani having UC is he at a greater risk of serious consequence if he were to contract the Swine flu? If so it would probably be best for him to stay away from his teammates until this condition is no longer present in our dressing room.

As much as it sucks losing Pisani, Grebeshkov and Reddox recently, it’s good that we’re getting Souray, Horcoff and Nilsson back possibly as soon as Sunday.

FYI, today’s practice lines:

Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Comrie – Gagner – O’Sullivan
    Moreau – Cogliano – Stortini
    Nilsson – Potulny – Brule

Souray – Staios
    Smid – Visnovsky
    Strudwick – Gilbert

The Oilers have just recalled defenseman Dean Arsene now. Interesting that he was their choice. I hope that is for one of two reasons: to swap out Strudwick, or for depth reasons (i.e. 7th d-man). Hopefully Souray is still planning to come back for tomorrow’s game, but only if he’s really ready.

Agreed Racki. Struddle has been less than stellar. I have to say I was very annoyed they signed him. Great guy, but they could have filled that role with Chorney or a cheap and good FA.

I didn’t mind the re-signing, at the time because he was cheap and brought some toughness last year, and I didn’t think Chorney would be as good as he has shown this year (although last year, I guess I didn’t pay attention to Chorney that much, cause I actually thought he played well in his short stint last year but I know a lot of people didn’t think the same).

With Souray and Staios back in the line up, there doesn’t seem to be much reason for Strudwick anymore.

I’m interested in what Dean Arsene can bring. Some people seemed to rave about him in the pre-season, but to be honest, he didn’t seem to be anything to write home about. But as long as he can play solid defense and limit the mistakes, then he’ll be just fine here.

Yah, Pisani isn’t done. The flare ups can be pretty bad though (my mom has a similar disease in Crohn’s Disease), however it’s possible that they will be more limited with whatever medication they might have him on. It’s one of those things where when it’s bad it’s bad and when it’s good, it’s business as usual, for many.

LateNightOilFan: Sucks for Pisani – I am hoping this is just a short-term flare-up. Many on the boards are cosidering him done, but his disease is going to bring flare-ups from time to time and hopefully it is controlled soon. Really feel for the guy.I am happy to finally see what Arsene can do against regular season NHL competition. I did some reading on him when the Oilers signed him, sounds like a pretty tough stay at home d-man who is very respected in the AHL. I’m looking forward to seeing what he does with this chance.

Well, it doesn’t bode well for him to be here after this year for sure. People forget Kevin Dineen played for a very long and good career with terrible Crohn’s and that was before the great treatments we have now.

I feel for Pisani. He always works hard at least, but he’s a shadow of the player he used to be.

I really feel for Pisani. I hope this isn’t the end for him, but I don’t think he will play after this season. As for Arnse, I wanna see what he brings. Nilsson, Horcoff and Souray are expected to play tomorrow, and Reddox will play if needed. Thought that was interesting.

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Gagner-Comrie-O’Sullivan
    Moreau-Cogliano-Stortini
    Brule-Nilsson-Potulny

Souray-Staios
    Vishnovsky-Smid
    Gilbert-Strudwick

is how they went in practice today.

Wow, those lines are looking more like a regular line-up finally. With Stone and JF returning in the next few weeks we could have a full line-up, minus Grebber (KNOCK ON WOOD).

Bostonoiler: I really feel for Pisani. I hope this isn’t the end for him, but I don’t think he will play after this season.

And I think your right BostonOiler, this could be Fernando’s last run, especially since his contract expires at the end of the season.

I was looking at NHL Numbers recently and I’m thinking this Oiler team could look quite different next year. Especially if we’re going to be signing are youth movement. We’ll probably end up making a move at the deadline, especially if the playoffs are looking grim. Well either waym we’ll probably look for someone but I could see one of our defenders getting traded and maybe someone up front if the right opportunity comes knocking.