GDT – Oilers vs. Blackhawks – Nov 21, 2009 @ 8:00PM – CBC – Game 23

By , November 21, 2009 12:35 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Chicago Blackhawks

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Chicago Blackhawks

Well, nothing like facing a team right after they’ve handed another team their asses. The Blackhawks are coming off a 7-1 punishment of the Flames and are currently on a 5 game winning streak. The Oilers consistency this year has been non-existent, but they’ve won some games that most wouldn’t have expected (ex. vs. the Avalanche twice and vs. the Predators on the road). They currently are on a lengthy one-game winning streak, with an ugly, but exciting, win over the Avalanche on Wednesday.

In recent news, the Quinn/Renney doghouse has been getting a few visitors. In the last game, Gilbert was benched for most of the 2nd period for his defensive issues. Quinn was quoted recently in regards to the teams defensemen “I don’t care that they’re offensive. I want them to defend, first.” Also in the doghouse recently (or perhaps again) is Ales Hemsky, as Renney had some unflattering criticism for him at practice. The Oilers are going to be hopeful for big games from both of these guys tonight. They’re going to need big games from everyone, especially in goal.

I predict a game similar to the one in Chicago, but improved. Lots of odd man rushes and breakaways for the other team, however I think we’ll see the Oilers generating good scoring chances. It won’t be a pretty one. I predict a 6-4 game.. as for who the winner is, I’ll go with the Oilers, since I’m a homer, but my brain says Chicago.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Jacques-Gagner-Stortini
O’Sullivan-Brule-Reddox
Moreau-Cogliano-Potulny

Souray-Staios
Smid-Visnovsky
Gilbert-Strudwick/Arsene

JDD
Jung

Chicago Blackhawks Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Bickell–Toews–Kane
Byfuglien–Versteeg–Sharp
Ladd–Madden–Brouwer
Eager–Fraser–Kopecky

Keith-Seabrook
Campbell-Hjalmarsson
Barker-Sopel
Hendry

Huet
Niemi

GAME NOTES

– Moreau is questionable tonight. He was hurt from a hit from Ryan Wilson in the game vs. the Avalanche on Wednesday.
– The Oilers currently have 8 injured players, including Moreau (Moreau, Grebeshkov, Chorney, Pouliot, Stone, Pisani, Comrie, Nilsson).
– The forward lines above are currently based on recent practice lines and may change. Not sure also if we’ll see Arsene or if it will be Strudwick. I wouldn’t mind seeing more Arsene, although a game vs. the Blackhawks can be pretty demoralizing for a defenseman.
– UPDATE: Khabibulin has a sore back and is out. JDD will get the start and Oil King Torrie Jung will back him up.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

3:50 – CHI – Toews from Kane
Smid loses the puck while circling back behind the net. Toews picks it up and stuffs his own rebound up high past Deslauriers.
4:25 – EDM – Souray from Horcoff, Penner
Penner wins the draw back to Souray who wrists it on net. Barker accidentally punches the rebound back under Huet and in the net.
7:20 – CHI – Versteeg from Sopel, Eager
Staios was battling in the corner with Sopel for the puck. Souray (for some reason) went to go help him, and absolutely no one was in front of the Oilers net except Versteeg. The Hawk in the corner won the battle and passed it out to Versteg.. he got a couple shots off.. JDD made some great saves. On the last shot, the puck flips up high and Souray tried to bat it out with his hand out but doesn’t get enough on it and it flutters into the net. Ugly goal.
12:33 – CHI – Kane from Towes, Campbell
Kane blows past Reddox, powerforward-style and goes in on JDD. JDD opens the legs a bit and Kane slides it through the five hole.

Other Highlights
– To start the game, JFJ and Stortini come out throwing 3 big hits between the two of them, setting the tone early.
– Penner and Bickle collide in the Hawks zone. Afterwards Bickle looks completely out of it as he may have hit his head (helmet actually) on the ice hard. He leaves the ice.
– Horcoff and Hemsky have a great shift. Hemsky sets up Horcoff in the slots and he gets a good shot off and an even better one on the rebound.
– Cogliano carries the puck into the Hawks zone with full speed on Sopel. Sopel manages to poke the puck loose from Cogliano. Moreau finds it and gets a great shot off, plus tries to jam it in under Huet’s pads, but Huet manages to hang on.
– The fans boo the team as the Hawks put on a clinic in their zone playing a great game of keepaway.
– CBC announcers just pointed out that one Hawk outbattled and won the puck from three Oilers.
– Penner seems to be taking the draws tonight for the top line, since Horcoff has been having issues with his shoulder.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

11:02 – CHI – Madden from Brower, Ladd
Ladd finds a rebound in front of Deslauriers and slides it across the crease to Madden before Horcoff gets there and he just has to tap it in.

Other Highlights
– The Oilers get a powerplay chance which starts of decent, but the Hawks end up getting two separate short-handed scoring chances.
– O’Sullivan almost gets a clear cut breakaway, but the puck is just a few strides ahead of him and Huet beats him to the puck.
– Apologize for the lack of updates for this period, but my interest is waning a bit.
– With time running down, Hemsky gets the puck behind the net and throws it into the net area and it stays under Huet’s pads. The scoreclock pauses at 0.1 seconds and Horcoff pokes it into the net. After a lengthy review, the goal is waved off because the clock should have run down before the goal was scored.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

1:29 – EDM – PP – Penner from Staios, Visnovsky
Just before the powerplay expires, Staios gets a shot off from the point that Penner teps through Huet’s legs. On the play, Staios makes a great play to get around a sprawling Hawk who came up high to block the shot.
8:53 – CHI – PP – Toews from Sharp, Campbell
The powerplay is barely underway. Toews and Sharp give and go and Toews gets it in front of the net and puts a perfect shot upstairs past Deslauriers. I’m not sure I can really blame anyone here.. this is just Hawks awesomeness in effect.

Other Highlights
– Shortly after the Oilers 2nd goal, Byfuglien fires a hard wrister from the slot that gets tipped up and just rings under the bar but doesn’t go in. Very close call.
– Souray does a good job on one shift in this period handling Dustin Byfuglien in front of the net.
– Smid gives away another (Lee points out this is number three), this time to Ben Eager who thankfully doesn’t have the best hands and wires it over the net.
– A line of Penner, O’Sullivan and Brule pours it on strong mostly on great play by Penner. They almost get one there but the puck stays out.

POST-GAME RANT

So, this one went about how my brain told me it would go. The Hawks showed the Oilers how run and gun hockey was meant to be played. They victimized our defense all night, getting in behind them more than a few times.

A few positives in this one, but not many. Penner looked as good as he has all season. He took several draws tonight for Horcoff, since his shoulder is obviously still an issue. Penner looked good there too, as he was 61% on the night. It was also good to see Jacques back, and he got his hitting game going early on in the game. Deslauriers wasn’t particularly bad… most of the goals were just very well placed shots.

112 Responses to “GDT – Oilers vs. Blackhawks – Nov 21, 2009 @ 8:00PM – CBC – Game 23”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

Yep. There is simply such a gap in skill level that the Oilers are dependent on teams like the Hawks to have an off-night in order to beat them. Clearly, the Hawks had a good game and won quite handily.
    We could obviously have cut down on the blunders (as always) but I don’t think we played a terrible game either, offensively it was decent enough. Huet left a number of rebounds we could have feasted upon had we been a bit more aggressive though.

I hope they can build on the positives and not continually get caught up in the negatives – there are games to be won if we keep going at it…

I haven’t been able to pay to much attention to the Oil this year because my life has been pretty busy with school, girlfriend and yada, yada. Last year I would be able to tell you the weights/heights, numbers (stats) of most if not all the Oilers if you’d ask me and give you a good in-depth analysis of how their top prospects where doing. Long story short, I haven’t been that into (or obsessive some may say) hockey as much this year but it’s looking like the season can go a few ways. So bare with me because I haven’t seen them play all that much either (maybe a full 5 or 6 games).

This season it looks like the Copper & Blue, have become Black & Blue. And they have fallen below five-hundred yet again. Its to early to say yet but I think with another ten games if the Oilers only pull out two or three wins it could be another dismal of a season. However they are getting a lot from their prospects so is this the time to move some of the contracts?

All in all, I think the organization would be able to get by a little better, from fans, if they did choose to tank this season because of all the injuries/illness. Tambellini could make some roster adjustments to Quinn’s ‘system’ by acquiring a few guys that are currently playing his style of hockey (maybe like Cole, or how he was starting to play his last few games in Oiler silks). I highly doubt we’d tank as to so far as aquiring the first pick but maybe within the top seven.

They could definitely turn it around though but with the way the season is going I could see this as a possible opportunity to move a few players out (Moreau, Grebs/Gilbert, Nilsson) and still being able to get something in return. I like Moreau but he has been on the chopping block a lot lately and he could fetch us something pretty good if we aren’t going to make it to the playoffs. Lets wait a good 10-15 games and we’ll see though.

It’s definitely far too early to write the season off, but I’d be all for it if they tanked and got a top-5 pick. The top 2 picks are expected to be phenomenaly good, but I’m not sure how deep it is after that. There’s still a lot of season to turn things around, but I’d be ok with tanking. Bonus points if they drop some dead weight in the form of contracts mentioned many times before :P

Btw, I’d still prefer they put the effort into making it to the playoffs though. I’d just rather not see them finish 10th or 11th in the conference. Either make it into the playoffs or completely blow it… none of this in between stuff.

Racki: It’s definitely far too early to write the season off, but I’d be all for it if they tanked and got a top-5 pick. The top 2 picks are expected to be phenomenaly good, but I’m not sure how deep it is after that. There’s still a lot of season to turn things around, but I’d be ok with tanking. Bonus points if they drop some dead weight in the form of contracts mentioned many times before

agreed, in some other thread recently I suggested this and most if not all disagreed with me, although, I think some took my comments to say that I was suggesting that the team intentionally tank, but that’s not really what I meant.

I meant more along the lines of getting rid of most of the vets mfor youth and picks, and really start a true rebuild, and let the chips fall where they may.

in other words, get rid of Visser for a young forward and/or younger shutdown D and/or picks.(I love Visser, but he’s old, and I want to keep Souray for his leadership plus he’d likely bring the highest return)

Get rid of Pisani, Moreau, Staios, Strudwick for prospects/picks.

and if possible shed Horcoff’s salary.

that would leave us with still a really good, young core to build around, lots of cap space, and an incredible futre with Eberle, MPS, Omark, and whatever other top prospects/picks we’d be acquiring, not to mention the top 5 pick we’d likely get by doing the above.

but we’d still have Penner, Hemsky, Gagner, Cogs, O’Sullivan, Brule, Grebs, Gilbert, Smid and Souray, that’s a damn good looking young core to build around.

6. Horpensky says:

I didn’t get to see the game, but it was as ugly as I thought it would be. I knew that Kane/Toews would give us a hard time.

Racki: I’m not a fan of moving Visnovsky or Souray, and to a lesser extent Staios (I think I’m his only fan). I think we just still need some guys that can actually play the position to teach these other guys. And well, Visnovsky may be 32 or whatever, but he shows no sign of slowing down. If anything, he’s at his peak. Staios is obviously on the decline, but he’s having a Steady-Steve year so far. I can wait the extra year for his contract to expire.Moreau, Pisani, Strudwick, Nilsson, however.. they all have better options here. I mean, there’s someone in our lineup that can easily replace any of those guys.
    I’m just thinking out loud though, cause I’m still not 100% sold on tanking it just because we hit a big rough patch in the early goings of the season. But it’s an option I wouldn’t be against, is all I mean. But it sounds more like you’re suggesting just dropping dead weight and seeing where what we have takes us. That is something I’m sure I’ve said in the past too.Either way, I’d like to see them say go buy to a few players by the end of this year. Namely the players mentioned above.

yeah, you’re right, I guess “dropping dead weight” is a way better of articulating what I meant, I certainly would never advocate tanking just for the sake of tanking just to get a lottery pick, but instead drop some dead weight/salary and see what we have, and if that means we end up with a lottery pick, great, and all the better for the re-build.t There would still be the possibility that with the remaining players we could be very pleasantly surprised.

Penner Brule Hemsky
    JFJ O’Sullivan Comrie
    Cogliano Gagner Potulny
    Reddox Stone Stortini

Souray Staios
    Grebeshkov Gilbert
    Smid Chorney/Peckham

I mean, really, that roster doesn’t look half bad, and that’s without taking into consideration whatever we might be getting in return for the players we ship out.

nor is it taking into consideration the potential impact next year of a more seasoned pro ready Eberle, MPS and even Omark, plus we’ll have a stockpile of picks, the money to resign our RFA’s and some leftover to possibly fill some other holes if needed via free agency.

honestly, the more I think of it, the more I like the idea.

although I do agree with you in Visnovsky, I’d really hate to see him go, but on the other hand, he would arguably get us the best immediate return, not to mention his hefty cap hit. plus we retain our young guys for a more long term prospectus.

Lastly, and not to sound redundant, but I actually do have some faith left that once we become healthy we can really turn things around, and am not opposed to remaining patient, but I doubt I’ll have much patience if mid-season comes around and we’re the same, or worse.

This season could be done. Dubynk has been recalled. Bulin will be missing time it seems. JDD sucks so much too. He can’t make any saves. Get well Bulin!

9. NorwegianOiler says:

“Day to day” Boston, “day to day”. I guess they did not want to keep re-signing Torrie Jung to short term deals :P

You’re preaching doom at every corner my friend. To make us really scared write a “everything is going to be fine”-post ;)

New game tomorrow. It, as all the others, starts at 0-0.

NorwegianOiler, I love you, and fjords are awesome.

JDD was a victim of some pretty damn impressive goals. I don’t really blame him for last nights loss in the least. Maybe he could have done better on Kane’s goal where he blew around Reddox, but I think Souray was the primary culprit there (man did he have a bad night). 3 of the 5 goals, JDD received little to no help on. The 5th goal of the game was a perfect shot by Toews.

The real break down last night was with the Oilers’ defensive play. They were victimized several times in their own zone.

But you know what, I am certain they’ll learn from those mistakes and have a big game tomorrow. Really, Chicago is going to be the bane of our existence this year. Every year we have a team we hate to play. This year, Chicago is likely going to romp us everytime we play them, but that’s just because they’re such a good team.

12. NorwegianOiler says:

gr8one: JDD does not suck. I would actually kind of like to see how JDD does with the added pressure of being the “starter” for a few games.NorwegianOiler, I love you, and fjords are awesome.

Hehehe. Fjords are good. They allow the sea to invade the land. Or vice versa? :P