GDT – Oilers vs. Blackhawks – Nov 21, 2009 @ 8:00PM – CBC – Game 23

By , November 21, 2009 12:35 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Chicago Blackhawks

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Chicago Blackhawks

Well, nothing like facing a team right after they’ve handed another team their asses. The Blackhawks are coming off a 7-1 punishment of the Flames and are currently on a 5 game winning streak. The Oilers consistency this year has been non-existent, but they’ve won some games that most wouldn’t have expected (ex. vs. the Avalanche twice and vs. the Predators on the road). They currently are on a lengthy one-game winning streak, with an ugly, but exciting, win over the Avalanche on Wednesday.

In recent news, the Quinn/Renney doghouse has been getting a few visitors. In the last game, Gilbert was benched for most of the 2nd period for his defensive issues. Quinn was quoted recently in regards to the teams defensemen “I don’t care that they’re offensive. I want them to defend, first.” Also in the doghouse recently (or perhaps again) is Ales Hemsky, as Renney had some unflattering criticism for him at practice. The Oilers are going to be hopeful for big games from both of these guys tonight. They’re going to need big games from everyone, especially in goal.

I predict a game similar to the one in Chicago, but improved. Lots of odd man rushes and breakaways for the other team, however I think we’ll see the Oilers generating good scoring chances. It won’t be a pretty one. I predict a 6-4 game.. as for who the winner is, I’ll go with the Oilers, since I’m a homer, but my brain says Chicago.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Jacques-Gagner-Stortini
O’Sullivan-Brule-Reddox
Moreau-Cogliano-Potulny

Souray-Staios
Smid-Visnovsky
Gilbert-Strudwick/Arsene

JDD
Jung

Chicago Blackhawks Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Bickell–Toews–Kane
Byfuglien–Versteeg–Sharp
Ladd–Madden–Brouwer
Eager–Fraser–Kopecky

Keith-Seabrook
Campbell-Hjalmarsson
Barker-Sopel
Hendry

Huet
Niemi

GAME NOTES

- Moreau is questionable tonight. He was hurt from a hit from Ryan Wilson in the game vs. the Avalanche on Wednesday.
- The Oilers currently have 8 injured players, including Moreau (Moreau, Grebeshkov, Chorney, Pouliot, Stone, Pisani, Comrie, Nilsson).
- The forward lines above are currently based on recent practice lines and may change. Not sure also if we’ll see Arsene or if it will be Strudwick. I wouldn’t mind seeing more Arsene, although a game vs. the Blackhawks can be pretty demoralizing for a defenseman.
- UPDATE: Khabibulin has a sore back and is out. JDD will get the start and Oil King Torrie Jung will back him up.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

3:50 – CHI – Toews from Kane
Smid loses the puck while circling back behind the net. Toews picks it up and stuffs his own rebound up high past Deslauriers.
4:25 – EDM – Souray from Horcoff, Penner
Penner wins the draw back to Souray who wrists it on net. Barker accidentally punches the rebound back under Huet and in the net.
7:20 – CHI – Versteeg from Sopel, Eager
Staios was battling in the corner with Sopel for the puck. Souray (for some reason) went to go help him, and absolutely no one was in front of the Oilers net except Versteeg. The Hawk in the corner won the battle and passed it out to Versteg.. he got a couple shots off.. JDD made some great saves. On the last shot, the puck flips up high and Souray tried to bat it out with his hand out but doesn’t get enough on it and it flutters into the net. Ugly goal.
12:33 – CHI – Kane from Towes, Campbell
Kane blows past Reddox, powerforward-style and goes in on JDD. JDD opens the legs a bit and Kane slides it through the five hole.

Other Highlights
- To start the game, JFJ and Stortini come out throwing 3 big hits between the two of them, setting the tone early.
- Penner and Bickle collide in the Hawks zone. Afterwards Bickle looks completely out of it as he may have hit his head (helmet actually) on the ice hard. He leaves the ice.
- Horcoff and Hemsky have a great shift. Hemsky sets up Horcoff in the slots and he gets a good shot off and an even better one on the rebound.
- Cogliano carries the puck into the Hawks zone with full speed on Sopel. Sopel manages to poke the puck loose from Cogliano. Moreau finds it and gets a great shot off, plus tries to jam it in under Huet’s pads, but Huet manages to hang on.
- The fans boo the team as the Hawks put on a clinic in their zone playing a great game of keepaway.
- CBC announcers just pointed out that one Hawk outbattled and won the puck from three Oilers.
- Penner seems to be taking the draws tonight for the top line, since Horcoff has been having issues with his shoulder.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

11:02 – CHI – Madden from Brower, Ladd
Ladd finds a rebound in front of Deslauriers and slides it across the crease to Madden before Horcoff gets there and he just has to tap it in.

Other Highlights
- The Oilers get a powerplay chance which starts of decent, but the Hawks end up getting two separate short-handed scoring chances.
- O’Sullivan almost gets a clear cut breakaway, but the puck is just a few strides ahead of him and Huet beats him to the puck.
- Apologize for the lack of updates for this period, but my interest is waning a bit.
- With time running down, Hemsky gets the puck behind the net and throws it into the net area and it stays under Huet’s pads. The scoreclock pauses at 0.1 seconds and Horcoff pokes it into the net. After a lengthy review, the goal is waved off because the clock should have run down before the goal was scored.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

1:29 – EDM – PP – Penner from Staios, Visnovsky
Just before the powerplay expires, Staios gets a shot off from the point that Penner teps through Huet’s legs. On the play, Staios makes a great play to get around a sprawling Hawk who came up high to block the shot.
8:53 – CHI – PP – Toews from Sharp, Campbell
The powerplay is barely underway. Toews and Sharp give and go and Toews gets it in front of the net and puts a perfect shot upstairs past Deslauriers. I’m not sure I can really blame anyone here.. this is just Hawks awesomeness in effect.

Other Highlights
- Shortly after the Oilers 2nd goal, Byfuglien fires a hard wrister from the slot that gets tipped up and just rings under the bar but doesn’t go in. Very close call.
- Souray does a good job on one shift in this period handling Dustin Byfuglien in front of the net.
- Smid gives away another (Lee points out this is number three), this time to Ben Eager who thankfully doesn’t have the best hands and wires it over the net.
- A line of Penner, O’Sullivan and Brule pours it on strong mostly on great play by Penner. They almost get one there but the puck stays out.

POST-GAME RANT

So, this one went about how my brain told me it would go. The Hawks showed the Oilers how run and gun hockey was meant to be played. They victimized our defense all night, getting in behind them more than a few times.

A few positives in this one, but not many. Penner looked as good as he has all season. He took several draws tonight for Horcoff, since his shoulder is obviously still an issue. Penner looked good there too, as he was 61% on the night. It was also good to see Jacques back, and he got his hitting game going early on in the game. Deslauriers wasn’t particularly bad… most of the goals were just very well placed shots.

112 Responses to “GDT – Oilers vs. Blackhawks – Nov 21, 2009 @ 8:00PM – CBC – Game 23”

Gilbert = Pylon.

2. DropIt says:

I could use some Patrick Kaneness for my pool …

3. OilerTyler says:

Horcs has 7 points in his last 7 games

DropIt: I could use some Patrick Kaneness for my pool …

blasphemy.

JDD is actually looking pretty good.

to think that Chicago still has Hossa up their sleeve is kinda scary.

5. DropIt says:

O sullivan should have played chicken with Huet and Bowled him over.

In the famous word of Gunnar Staal, “2 Minutes, well worth it”

OilerTyler: Horcs has 7 points in his last 7 games

Hey how did Horc get an assist tonight anyways? From what I remember, Penner won the draw back to Souray… did Horc tip it on the way or something?

Two hands on the stick, Chopper. Got lucky there.

I almost want to say box those retro jersey’s up and store them until we have a team that looks worthy of wearing them.

Racki: He’s been looking better and better. Looks like Penner is taking his draws tonight though, but I thought Horc had some good plays so far with Hemmer.

Horc has not taken any faceoffs so far this game. It seemed since his return he was gradually increasing the number of draws he was taking – vs ATL 7 (43%), vs CBJ 10 (60%), vs COL 15 (33%). Tonight none. Good on him for still getting some points while his shoulder is still screwed up.

Oh man, Horcoff is going to take some heat for that… 3 feet from the Hawks net, and he passes it out of there.

Woo, they scored anyways, so maybe he doesn’t. lol

wow, did we ever need that.

woot!

Uh oh, that puck didn’t go in, I don’t think, until after Horcoff poked it in, and the clock stopped when they started celebrating and pre-Horc poking it in. That *shouldn’t* be a goal. If it is, it’s because they can’t prove it’s not a goal.

14. OilerTyler says:

I don’t think this is a goal, but I would love If it was

Hope this one counts…not sure though, Hawks might have a case if the clock was stopped.

That is the right call.. unfortunately

17. OilerTyler says:

How can they say that the clock ran out when the OFFICIAL clock said there was .1 seconds left when it went in?

Crapity crap crap but I think it was the right call.

LateNightOilFan: Crapity crap crap but I think it was the right call.

agreed.

unlike that brutal non-goal Detroit had not long ago.

20. OilerTyler says:

I bet if our team didn’t take the time to celebrate before it went in the net, it would of been a goal. I blame the ref, who was waving with his arm that it was a goal before it went in, causing our boys to stop playing for that last second.

yes muthtrucker!

wow, awesome tip in.

Will they comeback? My 6-4 prediction is still a possibility for either side. :P

Lee – “He scoooooo-oh I thought it was in!”

Lucky

indeed.

Mark Lee with his cold or whatever sounds way too much like Scott Oake; I keep thinking it’s him.

26. OilerTyler says:

What is happening to Smid tonight…

27. OilerTyler says:

Here is a fun fact, this is the first Oilers home game this season where I haven’t been inside Rexall Place. I have been to two games, and have worked as an usher at all of the other ones

Penalty to Moreau?? Really? When does that happen? :P

Seriously though, I don’t get why that was a penalty to us. Garbage.

Just like clockwork…

30. OilerTyler says:

Even if the refs didn’t make that call, we all know Moreau would of taken a stupid offensive zone penalty anyways

31. OilerTyler says:

The goalies that I have in our pool are terrible, Racki, what would it take to get Bryzgalov or Nabokov off of you?

hmmm, maybe Penner should always play 1st line center.

Tyler: I don’t know I’ll look at your roster after, but I’m not in any hurry to weaken my goaltending. :P

gr8one: hmmm, maybe Penner should always play 1st line center.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea at all.

Racki: Tyler: I don’t know I’ll look at your roster after, but I’m not in any hurry to weaken my goaltending.

lol, I’ve been eyeing your goalies as well.

man it’s hard to stomach the commentators comparing the Oilers to the Washington Generals playing the Globetrotters.

36. OilerTyler says:

Fair enough, but I notice you are weak on the left wing, where I have Penner, Malone, Prospal and Gagne, all top notch talents

Well, make an offer.. I’ve been looking for a LWer, yes.

I was not expecting a win tonight. I take solace in the fact we didn’t lose as badly to the Hawks as the Flames did.

Good night all, thanks for the GDT Racki!

Thanks for stopping by LNOF! And yes, a 5-2 loss is a bit better than a 7-1 loss :P But still disappointing, albeit expected.

Btw, Penner on After Hours.. that should be good for some comedy ;)

41. OilerTyler says:

That Horcoff non-goal is still bothering me, not that it wasn’t a goal (because i know it wasn’t), but the reason they gave for why it wasn’t a goal. They claimed that the period was over, but the OFFICIAL clock said it wasn’t. Obviously they decided that the period should of ended by using an unofficial clock. If they are allowed to use an unofficial clock to make this decision, what is stopping them from using unofficial rulebooks to make decisions? “The puck went in the net after the whistle, but according to my unofficial rulebook, that is a goal”

As far as I am concerned, the period was not officially over when that puck went in the net

42. OilerTyler says:

And it also bothers me that the ref signalled goal before the puck went across the line, this caused our players to stop and celebrate before actually scoring the goal. Horcoff probably would of shot it in the net earlier if the ref didn’t mislead him.

Here’s my take OilerTyler: Horcoff was only able to poke the puck in the net once he saw the puck under Huet’s pads as Huet went to stand up. Huet also seemed to be misled by the hasty celebration led by Hemmer (and as indicated by the ref) before the puck went into the net and he got up because he thought the puck was in the net, not under his pads. The clock was stopped when the referee indicated goal. Since it wasn’t actually a goal at that point, the clock was therefore stopped inappropriately. Just like time is added back to the official clock when deemed appropriate, in this case time was deducted from the official clock when deemed appropriate.

I’m not overly upset by the decision. It just worked the wrong way for us but I believe it was the right call.

Khabibulin better hurry back., JDD has sucked two games in a row now. The 9 goals in two games? WOW Oilers are lucky to be 1-1 in that span. The Monday Night game will be huge, the confidence level will completely drop with a loss. I picked against the Oil tonight. Knew the Hawks were better than them, I just hoped it would be close. Gilbert, for christ sakes learn to hang onto the puck, you too Smid. Penner keep doing what you are doing.

Anyone notice Horcs only took one faceoff tonight????

Yes, it was pointed out that Penner was taking them (61% btw) because Horcoff’s shoulder was bothering him. I’ve often wondered why Penner doesn’t play center on any of the lines.

Also, the loss was far from JDD’s fault. He didn’t play spectacular, but some of those Chicago goals were ridiculously good. Those guys can shoot, and when our defense is no where to be found for half the night, they got some great opportunities. Actually I recall a few occasions where JDD made a spectacular save or two before anyone else even showed up with a blue jersey on. Best example of that was the goal where Souray batted it in accidentally. JDD was fine, but hung to dry too much.

46. NorwegianOiler says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we’ve just played the 09/10 Stanley Cup Champions…
    Chicago has a really good team now and they haven’t yet slotted Hossa into the lineup. Their only minor concern is whether Huet can time his best form to be in the playoffs. As much as I was disappointed with the errors we made, I am more impressed with the overall play of the Hawks – they were playing tremendous hockey at times.

Yah that’s my thoughts too. Make even the smallest mistake around them and they’ll capitalize. One of the Smid giveaways was a very good example of that. He tries to spin back, and loses the puck a bit and two guys are all over him in no time.

The Hawks have a great team and are on Penguins level, it would seem. Their puck possession and movement last night at times was unbelievable. The Oilers have a ways to go to get to that level, but seeing as how they thumped Calgary even worse, I don’t think it’s necessary to feel too bad about this loss.