Oilers recall Potulny and Reddox, Caps place Nylander on Waivers

By , November 7, 2009 10:36 am

E-mailed by the Oilers:

General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today the Edmonton Oilers have recalled forwards Ryan Potulny and Liam Reddox from Springfield of the American Hockey League.

Potulny, 25, is currently 3rd on the Falcons in scoring with seven points (3G, 4A) in 13 games. Last season he led the team in scoring with 62 points (38G, 24A).

Reddox, 24, has three points in 12 games this year with the Falcons. Last season he played 46 games with the Oilers posting five goals and seven assists.

The Washington Capitals have placed Michael Nylander on waivers. Nylander was sent to Grand Rapids earlier this year for a conditioning stint. He was recalled from Grand Rapids Wednesday and put on waivers this morning.  Nylander has not played any games with the Capitals yet this year. Last year he had 9G, 24A in 72 games with the Capitals.

He is set to earn $5.5M this year and $3M next year with a cap-hit of $4.875M.

29 Responses to “Oilers recall Potulny and Reddox, Caps place Nylander on Waivers”

Neither of these guys are exactly lighting it up in the AHL, but the team definitely needs some help. I would imagine that one of these guys will replace JFJ Sunday and the other will be in to replace MacIntyre, at the very least.

Glad to see Potulny up I liked his play when he was called up the last few times. From what I remember Potulny and Brule had some chemistry going the one game. Baby-face Reddox, not really sure but I’ve never really been a fan of this guy, he is a hard worker though I’ll give him that.

Why do we always have so many injuries? The last four years have been brutal.

Reddox was obviously called up to help with Movember. :P

And yah, I think you’re right about Potulny/Brule combo.

Also added that Nylander has been waived. Oh how cruel you can be, Karma.

Wow, what a cap hit too eh? He had a pretty good stint with the Rangers but I’m really glad the Oil didn’t sign him. Not a big fan of a team handing out contracts to ‘expiring’ players. There’s only a select few ‘expiring’ players in the league that I think earn their contracts.

I hope his wife likes Grand Rapids!

Man, I bet Lowe is counting his lucky stars that Nylander didn’t end up coming here.

Nylander has done zip since he signed that contract. He wasn’t even the first line centre on a brutal squad the first year he was there.

I don’t think one could write a stranger history of the Oilers the last five years or so.

I can’t see anyone taking him even on re-entry waivers. That’s pretty sad.

9. Horpensky says:

Reddox fights for the puck better than Nilsson at the very least.

Yah he definitely brings a bit more work ethic than most of our team. But I’m not sure how much help he’ll be. Not that he’s being brought up to turn things around all on his own.

11. OilerTyler says:

I am not a big Reddox fan, I would rather have a guy like Trukhno on our team, its a shame that he isn’t signed.

12. Hockey Noob says:

Hey everyone,

It sounds like Hemsky’s got an injured shoulder which is really bad news. Right now, the Oilers are pretty thin on players that can outshoot or outscore the opposition. I like Reddox’s work ethic and defensive smarts, but I don’t imagine he’s going to be an impact player.

Last year, Reddox had a worse Corsi number than Stortini and was only marginally better than Steve MacIntyre. In the preseason, he didn’t do too much this year and he’s -9 in the AHL though I haven’t watched him play. Maybe his work ethic and effort will inspire this team…

13. Hockey Noob says:

Yeah, the Oilers site said that Hemmer didn’t travel for the game tomorrow!!!

No Horc, Hemmer, and Smid didn’t skate in the practice. Tomorrow’s game: Colorado Avalanche vs. Edmonton Falcons!

Oh boy. Chalk up another loss now? lol Definitely not a good sign.

Two contracts that will have to clear waivers on the way down, or is there an exception when it’s for players on IR?

Hmmmm.

16. Hockey Noob says:

Chucker,

There’s probably an exception for the players on IR, but it would be interesting to hear what the exact situation is. Reddox cleared waivers once this year already, so I wouldn’t worry too much about him.

I could be wrong, but I think once you clear waivers on the season once, you don’t need to clear waivers again later on in the season. Thought I read that somewhere. But I could be wrong on all of that… the CBA is a bit hard to follow, to say the least. ;)

Actually that would only make sense if Reddox was recalled earlier.. and it probably isn’t even right anyways.

18. OilerTyler says:

So how dumb does that sound?

Hemsky, Horcoff OUT tomorrow night. Interesting rumor about the Oil going around right now. Kevin Lowe has been at the Lightning’s last 4 games. Some say he could be scouting Lecavalier, who is at odds with Rick Toccet (sp?) It sounds like a trade between them is coming. Probably not for Vinny, but for some offense I would guess. Gonna be a rough game tomorrow night with Hemmer and Horcs out. My guess is:

Penner-Gagner-O’Sullivan
    Potulny-Comrie-Cogliano
    Moreau-Brule-Pisani
    Reddox-Nilsson-Stortini

Visnovsky-Chorney
    Grebeskov-Gilbert
    Staios-Strudwick/ Smid

Khabibiulin
    JDD

JFJ is out with back issues, Hemsky hurt his shoulder (he is out tomorrow, not sure about the Ottawa game), Horcoff with the shoulder and Smid is sick again. I think a trade is going to happen soon, because we have way too many roster players right now. Even when we send Reddox and Potulny down we will be over when Hors and Hemmer and Stone and Souray are back. Nilsson can say goodbye, same with big mac, who by the way will not be dressed tomorrow night for the game.

Oiler Tyler: your idea is not stupid at all, in fact I think it would be a good idea for the Oilers to try out.

OilerTyler: I want to repeat this, because I don’t know if my idea is stupid or not. With the injuries to Stone and Jacques, how would you guys feel about calling up Trukhno? I believe we would have to sign him first, but I have always been a Trukhno fan, he is physical, fast and he can score just as well as Reddox. I would like to see what he can do in the NHLSo how dumb does that sound?

I like it. I’ve always thought he would do well up here and he’s a diamond in the rough. He’s fast, hits and can score. He has just as good a chance at success as JFJ or Stone IMO.

Racki: He has followed them around the past 4 games on the road, so something interests him. HE does have a lot of say in any move the Oilers make. Hes like Tambi boss

Racki: I know a few Oil fans are interested in Trukhno. And yes, I heard Lowe was in Tampa too. But seeing as how he’s not our GM anymore, per se, it could just be for the sake of Team Canada too that he is there.

There was an article out the end of August that said Lowe would be spending the first 3 months of the season scouting the “bubble” Olympic players. So I think you are right Racki.

Re Trukhno – he is already under contract Oiler Tyler, he signed a 3 year contract Jan/07. He has 4 pts in 13 games, I would think there are others who would be called up before him. (edit although Reddox only has 3 pts, Reddox does have a decent amount of NHL games to his credit so he’s got more experience). But since I don’t watch any of the prospects in Springfield, I occasionally follow Guy Flaming’s blog “Coming Down the Pipe” and he had this comment Oct 16th which leads me to believe it is not likely we will see Trukhno up with the big club until he shows he can do something in Springfield, and soon:

Slava Trukhno didn’t have a very good training camp with the Oilers, and things haven’t been any better in Springfield. The Russian forward has zero points in 5 games and is -1. This is a contract year for Truhkno who could find himself out of a job even before season’s end if he doesn’t turn things around.

Hey Racki, I suggested this in the general discussion page but would you be able to put up a roster page? Not necessarily a depth chart unless you’d like to update it that frequently with all the injuries we’ve been having. But a roster page that would include who’s a call up and then a separate spot on hows on the IR or LTIR?

And I am going to go out on a limb here and say the Oil come out with a win even though this Colorado team is looking like it was back in the day. =p

Hey Zack, yah I saw that. I’ll consider that, but I’m not sure if I’ll post something like that or not because it’ll require me to keep it updated regularly and the Oilers’ site of course already keeps track of that. However we do update the line-ups in the game day threads though.

Yahoo had a small paragraph about Vinnie (can’t find the link right now). An annonymous NHL scout said “He looks like a player who is playing to be traded.”

EDIT: Sorry it was on Canoe. http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2009/11/08/11675831-sun.html

28. Horpensky says:

Bostonoiler: not related to the Oil, but did anyone see Cam ward last night? Had his leg cut open by Rick Nash last night, and is still in the hospital, expected to be out a real long time. With that the Canes season is just about done. We could probably get Samsonov or whitney from them.

Wow just when the Canes were struggling already, their goaltender goes out for a long time. They lost to the Leafs! (then again the Red Wings did too)

He’s expected to be out a month, but could be longer. They were stinking the joint up with Ward.. I can’t imagine what they’ll be like without him. No interest in Samsonov, myself. Whitney is a bit too rich for my blood at this stage of the game. Although some added leadership around here wouldn’t be bad. But I don’t think the Oil could fit him into their salary easily enough.