GDT – Oilers 3, Senators 4, Nov 10, 2009 – Game 18

By , November 10, 2009 9:55 am
Just like the white winged dove, sings a song, sounds like she's singing...

Just like the white winged dove, sings a song, sounds like she's singing...

Well the Oilers mosey into Ottawa for a game tonight. We got the injuries bad, and it looks like Hemsky is missing another game and Nilsson and Chorney are both out tonight.

We scratched one out Sunday however, and lets see if the boys in copper and blue can get another one here.

I’ll let Racki swing on in and put his usual stats and such here.

Oh, and maybe Duff and Underwood will have a hockey fight in the stands…how awesome would that be?

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (per Sportsnet)

Penner-Gagner-O’Sullivan

23.5PP%15.7
80PK%82.1
25.6S/G30.4
34.4SA/G27.4
47.1FO%47.6

GAME NOTES

– The injured list for the last game contained Marc Pouliot, Ales Hemsky, Shawn Horcoff, Sheldon Souray, Ladislav Smid, J.F. Jacques and Ryan Stone.
– Joining that list now is Robert Nilsson and Taylor Chorney, however Ladislav Smid should return for tonight’s game.

23 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 3, Senators 4, Nov 10, 2009 – Game 18”

2. Horpensky says:

I hope Penner and Cogs light them up to make Melnyk hate Heatley even more for nixing the trade :)

Add to that, Smid shuts down their top line. :P

4. Horpensky says:

oh and Ryan O’Marra recalled apparently. We’re gonna have a line of AHLers!

Horpensky: oh and Ryan O’Marra recalled apparently. We’re gonna have a line of AHLers!

I’ve always liked O’Marra…too bad his career peak was the world juniors.

Racki: Holy shit, it looks like a handicapped 8-year old drew that Sens logo, but considering you did that in Paint, Steve-O, that’s pretty awesome.

Put up your version made in paint and then we can compare

O’Marra recalled??? Crazy. I didn’t think we’d ever see him here.

8. Horpensky says:

Yep, apparently we have THAT many injuries :/

Twitter updates:
    MacIntyre claimed by Florida. Mair clears. Arnason and Miller on waivers. Nylander going to russia. All from McKenzie.

Deslauriers is starting tonight. Smid was practicing at forward. As per Oiler twitter.

10. Smytty777 says:

I think Quinn wanted Smid to practice at forward just so he would be skating more, not because he would play there. They wanted to test him on a hard skate to see if he was well enough to play.

O’Marra still plays hockey?

I’m so happy that Souray is back practicing, if we can come out of these next 4 games with 4 points, I’ll call it a win and I’ll look forward to Studly Wonderbomb returning to the Oilers lineup to precipitate our rise in the standings.

Steve-O:
    Put up your version made in paint and then we can compare

Ok, here is my sorry excuse for a logo:

News flash: I can not draw. lol

Edit: It looks pretty glorious, when shrunk down:

Updated the lines. Interestingly enough, the call ups are all getting better ice time (theoretically) than Cogliano. Go figure.

The d-pairings are also jumbled up. I like that Grebeshkov-Gilbert has been split up, as has Strudwick-Staios.

13. Pennzoil27 says:

I smell a big night from the trade bait 3some!!! Finally the Grebs-Gilbert pairing has been shut down. I like them both but as a pairing they had train wreck written all over them defensively.

Welcome to “the Foil” Pennzoil, and yes, very happy they split those two up again.

So, I guess everyone’s busy tonight?

I only caught bits and pieces of the game myself but I saw Jeff get run everytime I was watching. Saw a few times where he was really nervous playing the puck but that’s what happens when you don’t get a lot of playing time. Nice that we out-shot a team but sucks we ended up on the losing end – Leclaire gave up a couple gift goals but he also made some solid saves. At least we came back to tie it and got a point. Not much else I can add since I was in and out all night.

16. hockey noob says:

Hey, I just looked at the TOI and Brule and Comrie each played under 10 minutes for the game? Potulny played something like 18 minutes???

Tough loss. The Oil played pretty well, but at least they got a point. MacKenzie’s gushing about Penner on Twitter

18. Pennzoil27 says:

I can’t complain about a loss when the effort is there. 3/4 points so far on this road trip ain’t a bad way to start it off.

I went to the Bruins/Pens game, so I just finished watching the Oil. Good effort tonight, 3 out of 4 points so far on the trip is very good. I really liked the play of Penner tonight, getting another goal and playing an all around great game. Staios was great on the blue-line tonight. Cogliano played good, but should have had 2 goals. He’ll be fine though. ETHAN FRICKIN MOREAU is why we lost. plain and simple. He doesn’t push Neil onto JDD, that goal never goes in and the Oilers win, that simple. The offense was there again tonight, some great saves though by the Sens goalie. Well we deserved the point tonight, and played well. Its good to see us play two very solid games in a row, and get a point in each. Tomorrow night is a huge game for us. After what they did to us last year, and we will see how we respond after losing a tough game, which we played well in. It will be a good game. I hope we can pull it out.

P.S- Don’t forget to honor the veterans tomorrow.

This past week or so I kind of realized how unpredictable a professional game can be. Or it could have been the smoke and mirrors that the Oilers shattered when they beat the Avalanche.

Either way, it’s interesting how Edmonton has played with no bona-fide star in the line-up. What’s a GM to do in a time like this where, what was it, eight guys out of the line-up? Sit it out I guess but the injuries are a tad ridiculous. We’re really testing our depth of our AHL team now aren’t we.

This could bring up a few considerations for Tambi, I wonder if the trade market is going to open up anytime soon?

Bostonoiler: P.S- Don’t forget to honor the veterans tomorrow.

Nice reminder Boston, that it’s not just another day off. My family and I go to the cenotaph service every year and are going tomorrow. It’s important.

22. NorwegianOiler says:

Disappointing to lose like that, but I liked that the effort level seems to have been carried over from the Avs game. We need that! Then again, the breakouts aren’t the best and Quinn’s regime has, while cutting back on the errors in the neutral zone, created a rather unimaginative transitional play. If we’re not changing lines I think it’s ok to carry it across the blueline every now and then, get us a better chance at getting to the net, digging out a short dump or just releasing a shot.

Wow, BostonOiler, do you ever have some oversimplified views! Ethan Moreau was the reason we lost? You’re seeing the trees and not the forest on this one, I think. Not only did Ethan score a goal, but he arguably had his best game of the season – playing with much energy, dealing some hits, forechecking well and creating some (however primitive) offense. If he keeps playing like that in the future he’ll be back in the good books in no time. I don’t think you’re taking a big enough step back, look at the overall picture once in a while and don’t get caught up in moments.

I must confess, though, to being caught up in several moments, all of which included Deslauriers, a puck on his stick, taking place behind the Oilers’ net. He really needs to communicate better, make better choices and simply rip the puck around the boards if he’s unsure what to do. Other than that, we played decent defensively.

I agree with you N.O. on all of the above. I thought Moreau played a really good game, and that goal of his, I was bugging Steve-O (because of his Moreau man-crush) saying that it had to be Cogliano that really scored that, because Moreau doesn’t have those moves. :P Seriously though, great goal, to his credit.

And JDD.. wow, that one he left behind the net was horrid. Not sure what he was thinking there.