Monday Morning NHL Standings, Quarter 1 Report

By , November 17, 2009 8:58 am
Holy shit...

Holy shit...

Ummmm, where was I….oh yes. I tried googling for a picture of a news anchor and well, you see what I found. Name is Melissa Theuriau for you lazy buggers.

Anyways, here is the Monday morning standings (still one day late!), and this one is super special…its the quarterly report edition.

We can start to see which teams are for real, and any early starters that were not actually any good have since dropped back to their usual place.

Oilers…well, they need to start winning now while the gap is still reasonable. If we let anymore wins go we may need to start cheering for good development seasons from the kids.

Racki, Trogdor and myself have a full post coming up with a quarterly report card so to speak, so keep an eye out for that.

Conference

Florida Panthers

St Louis Blues

Minnesota Wild

Anaheim Ducks

Toronto Maple Leafs

Carolina Hurricanes

As for the pool, Trogdor and Racki are holding down 2nd and 3rd respectively while I’m starting a charge back up the standings from 7th. gr8one is currently rocking out #1.

19 Responses to “Monday Morning NHL Standings, Quarter 1 Report”

about the pool, you forgot to note that I am currently leading.

just sayin’

and oh yeah, holy shit is right. yowza.

your right, i normally put who is number one in there so i added it

you can talk all you want racki, but its the end of the season that counts

4. Horpensky says:

The only Canadian team in a playoff spot today are the Flames, ugh. We’ve only scored more than 3 goals 6 times this season, only one time this month have we done that.

As for this first quarter, I hope Quinn uses this as a learning and kickstart this team ASAP. As for some individual stats during the first quarter:

Nilsson: -12 in 12 games
    Lubo: 3rd in team scoring, on pace for a huge 56 points
    O’Sullivan: 2nd in shots with 62, but has a 4.8% shooting
    Penner: leading with 12 goals, the next best scorers have 5 (Hemsky, Comrie, Lubo, Brule)
    Staios: +5, not too shabby
    Gilbert: Taken the most shots for a defenseman, only 3.2% shooting, he’s our O’Sullivan on defense

Do you guys do monthly winnings for your pool? The one I’m in pays out $25 to the highest monthly point earner. I led the pool every blessed day in Oct and then on Oct 31 some guy passed me by 1 point. Not impressed.

Certainly some surprising names in a playoff position right now but as Steve-O says it’s the end of the season that counts. But some of those teams like the Avs, Kings, Lightening and yes even the Isles, have found out what it takes to win and they are going to fight to hold onto it. Might be hard for the teams who haven’t figured it out yet or who forgot how. Injuries/illness will only excuse a team so much. The Oilers need to put it back together soon.

Dare I say as well as Khabi has been playing lately he has only been making the losses respectable. He needs to steal a win Roli style, something he has not done since probably the VAN game a month ago. That, along with more consistency in the line-up plus a home stand could get this team going again.

LNOF: Our pool is free, other than bragging rights/severe humiliation at the end.

Unlike Steve-O in our hockey pool, I think the Oil will turn it around. They looked pretty good yesterday even though they didn’t get the win. They just have to keep playing like that. They really could use a JFJ or Stone back in the line up though.

*sigh*

The first quarter is fourth quartile. That’s financila speak for shit. I hate this perrenial come from behind stuff. It’s old. No doubt there are lots of legit issues with the team, but it’s frustrating to be in this position all the time.

Oh, and we should all organize a petition to get Ivaanka Osmak to dress down like that lovely lady. Maybe we could get her to do her updates on a trampoline as well. :D

8. OilerTyler says:

1 Johnny Odangles Loss 3 – 7
    2 d0nkey.punch(gr8one) Loss 2 – 9
    3 Team Haboiler Loss 4 – 7
    4 Racki’s Rumblers Win 7 – 4
    5 Team Noob Win 8 – 2
    6 Monsters Win 7 – 3

I am on a hot streak right now, thanks to Getzlaf and a couple others starting to pick up their game. I am getting tired of blowing people out in assists, but losing in goals and the goalie stats though. If anyone wants to trade a winning goalie or a scorer to me for a playmaker or two, that would be nice.

chucker: Oh, and we should all organize a petition to get Ivaanka Osmak to dress down like that lovely lady. Maybe we could get her to do her updates on a trampoline as well.

agreed 100%

10. Pennzoil27 says:

11. pharsyde says:

Racki: I plan to stomp this guy I’m up against (sorry Johnny) and then make my triumphant return to the winner’s circle.

Please, Racki! As long as Kipper stays hot I’ll have a hope this week. I couldn’t believe your lineup though…how in the world did you land Kopitar, Stamkos and Malkin? Good lord

Pharsyde: Oh that’s you! I managed to get Malkin when his value was low (injured) from DropIt, but it cost me Iginla. The real reason behind that deal for me though was also improving my goaltender (the trade also included Bryzgalov coming my way). As far as Kopitar, I think I picked him in the original round, but I had no idea he would be leading the league at this point.. that’s just blind luck. You’ve got a pretty good line-up too. I remember at one point humming and hawing about using my Waiver up on Antropov, but I never did it. He’s an assist machine so far this year.

As for my goaltenders, I have 3 really good goaltenders on SOME nights. But like pretty much everyone’s goalies, mine have been inconsistent. I can usually scrape up the GAA and S% columns most weeks though.

It’ll be a close week, I’m sure, for our match-up.

that being said though, I do still think that with a full/healthy lineup this team can do some damage yet this year, like Racki said we need JFJ and/or Stone back.

But if Penner keeps up his strong play, Hemmer will be Hemmer, and I’m confident Gagner/Cogs will step it up still and with Souray Back and Visser playing so well I think all we need is to get everyone back healthy we will be fine.

BUT, like I said, if things are worse or the same by mid season, I say we should really start thinking about a true rebuild, cause I can’t handle this mediocrity shit for many more years, I’d rather have a few horrendous seasons with a light at the end of the tunnel (refer to Washington/Pittsburgh) than what we’ve had to witness for what seems like forever really.

Racki: Pharsyde: Oh that’s you! I managed to get Malkin when his value was low (injured) from DropIt, but it cost me Iginla. The real reason behind that deal for me though was also improving my goaltender (the trade also included Bryzgalov coming my way).

yeah, I thought you raped dropit balls deep in that trade. I guess he was blinded by his homerism love for iggy.

gr8one: honestly if we haven’t improved by midseason, I say ship out all the vets for picks or young players with maybe the exception of some core leadership players(ie Souray) tank the second half, Pick Taylor Hall, and see what MPS, Eberle and Omark can do for us next year…I’m not saying this is a “panic” sense either, but I’m with Chucker, it’s the same shit every year, we have high expectations that managemnet will make a huge trade and/or sign some crazy good UFA’s and nothing really happens, than we go into the season with the high hopes that the previous years players will suddenly “play to their potential” which they do, all the way to mediocrity and it really blows.

I among probably all the other Oilers fans out there know where you are coming from and what you’re saying gr8one.

It kind relates to and reminds me of when I was 4 or 5 though, and I asked my Grandpa after watching a game why the other team pulled their goalie. Why doesn’t the one team do that all the time to let the other team score? Then he simply replied “Because no one would want to go to the games to see that.”

So if we decided to ‘tank’ what kind of identity would the organization be putting out to the team, fans, or even the league. As nice as it would be to be guaranteed the first pick overall to help improve our team, I can’t really see ‘tanking’ an option in our market. That and the fact that we’d be relying pretty much on a team of rookies, with the exception of a vet or two like you mentioned, that and we’d have little to go from at an NHL level. I wouldn’t like to see our organization take the risk of going first overall anyways, I’d rather see the Oilers in a “die trying” mentality. We’re not even sure yet if Taylor or Tyler will go first, what if the first pick ends up being a dud. This organization just has to do a better job at doing lateral trades ‘in our favour’.

Pennzoil27: With news that the Blackhawks are close to terms on long term contracts with Kane and Toews and Keith we should make a pitch to acquire Patrick Sharp.

Well I know Lowe hasn’t made the best contract deals necessarily, but at least he didn’t sign Hosa to a career contract and if the rumours of signing Kane or Toews for 10+ years are true this could make Lowe’s signings not that bad. Personally I don’t like to see an orginization sign a player for 4+ years unless they are a bona-fied superstar. Even then 5 or 6 year contracts would be pushing it, I think it’s too risky for a franchise unless they get a pretty good signing, like Hemsky’s.

On topic though, could you imagine requiring Sharp though? Not too bad but we wouldn’t be able to do a salary dump, cough coff.

Yah, the tanking is a real hard thing to do, and it can’t be half-assed. The Oilers aren’t in that dire a situation that they need to do that either. I think they just need to be a bit smarter about the contracts and stick to Quinn/Renney’s initial game plan. Perhaps making some trades to create a bit more depth with size would be wise. It shouldn’t be a case where one or two injuries to guys who are AHLers normally (JFJ/Stone) wreck this team’s game plan.

As much as I didn’t think I would say it, maybe it’s time to move a Cogliano/O’Sullivan and/or Offensive d-man for some size. Just a thought.

I agree with you Racki, it would have been nice to see Cole stay… Since they’ve both been pretty snake-bitten humour the idea of Cole for O’Sullivan.

18. DropIt says:

Dirty Sexy Money is about to charge upo the standings. Also we still hate Racki for his bullshit sunday performance against us a few weeks back

DropIt: Skunked!

Zack: I do like the trade (Cole for O’Sullivan). I just was definitely not one of the people chasing him out of the city. Much like Jarret Stoll, he had a lot of value outside of scoring goals, but couldn’t seem to put the puck in the net despite the skill level being there.